Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Interior > Misc > Tuffy Secure Glove Box Safe

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Tuffy Secure Glove Box Safe Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Misc Next Product

Tuffy Secure Glove Box Safe

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $140.00
Average Price: $118.13
Manufacturer: Tuffy
Recommended?
Yes: 33 / No: 2

Tuffy Secure Glove Box

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review
Page 1 of 2 1 2 > Last

Tollster
Tollster's Reviews

07-02-2014, 05:37 PM
Price: $120.00
Pros: Security
Cons: None
Recommended? No

Comments: I put one in my 80 CJ-5 15 years ago, still works like a champ, it uses a barrel key, and I have not had any noise from mine. It looks somewhat different than the picture. But its a secure lock down, I always store my lug nut key there, there was also a metal liner to replace the factory cardboard one..

corky1071
corky1071's Reviews
05-03-2014, 10:09 AM
Price: $158.00
Pros: More secure than factory glove box. No strap, built-in stop.
Cons: none
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Install was straight forward & easy. Fit as described & intended except it is not flush, sticks out about 1/8". I got this more as a deterrent, but found it was well made & heavy duty. I don't worry about leaving something locked in it when away from my Jeep. However, it's a soft top Jeep so I don't leave anything in it anyway.

TxTch99Jeep

TxTch99Jeep's Reviews
03-08-2013, 12:16 PM
Price: $49.95
Pros: Very durable easy to get stuff in and out.
Cons: Rattles a lot
Recommended? Yes

Comments: It's worth it, I don't have to worry about my personal stuff in the glove box

TxTch99Jeep

TxTch99Jeep's Reviews
Recommended? Yes

Comments: It's worth it, I don't have to worry about my personal stuff in the glove box

TxTch99Jeep

TxTch99Jeep's Reviews
Recommended? Yes

RancidCoolaid
RancidCoolaid's Reviews

05-21-2012, 07:07 PM
Price: $145.00
Pros: Very sturdy, looks "aftermarket", adding to the visual message that it is stronger than the factory glove box.
Cons: One minor gripe, more Quadratec's fault than Tuffy's.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I installed the glove box door as per instructions, but without drilling the extra 2 holes Quadratec calls "optional." Without the extra 2 bolts, the top center bracket (to which the locking post is attached) had enough flex to cause the lock to bind and the door to fail in the closed position.

After talking with Ragan at Tuffy (nice guy, very helpful), we figured this out, got the box opened (with some luck) and it is now installed with the 2 additional bolts supporting the top bracket.

All is well.

If mounting this, add the 2 stock bolts to the bracket support, and drill and add the additional 2 bolts as per instructions. Without these, bad things can happen.

Great alternative to the stock glove box.

HaskiE

Thread Reviver
HaskiE's Reviews
05-15-2012, 09:43 AM
Price: $188.00
Pros: Locking, or leave it unlocked and it still looks locked
Cons: Small (just kidding) it uses the allotted space appropriately; it's bigger than the stock glove box.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: One of the Best modifications to my jeep to date. easy enough install, and it always gets packed full of stuff from me & my passenger(s) because it's the only locking compartment on the jeep. recently, I mounted a cigarette lighter in the back of it, with a phone charger plug coming out, and notched the door near the hinge a little so the wire comes through it. Now I can charge my phone and leave the charger attached to the jeep and no one can steal the charger without ruining it first; can also lock a phone in the glovebox while it charges and we're away from the jeep. I live in a very urban area, so it helps to lock/weld everything down. I've had my center rear view mirror stolen...

Another Recommended upgrade I've done is I added a bicycle brake cable (wire) to stop the door from opening all the way.(it works just like a cj tailgate, but only one side) Now it stops at 90 degrees and makes a little table for catching items trying to fall out as I dig through all the stuff in it!

Tremor14

Tremor14's Reviews

11-04-2011, 07:12 PM
Price: $158.00
Pros: Definately the security and peace of mind!
Cons: Noisy, the catch latch is steel on steel so when you crawl, or hit a pothole you will hear it.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I've been broken into 4 times, and only once did I miss something expensive, but it definately put me into a resolve on buying this item.

First time my jeep was broken into someone stole a TOM-TOM 910 from my glove box that was locked. Upon return I noticed that I was able to open my glove compartment whether it was locked or not. Those stock glove compartments that chrylser put in are worthless. Reported it to my insurance company and they couldn't help me because it was under the deductible limit. (Never leave anything valuable in your Jeep -irregaurdless of installing this.)
I upgraded to this the next tax return after the 4th break in, and initially was pretty happy with it. Then I noticed how much noise this thing makes! Worse than hauling around tin can's in the back of your pickup! If you do end up getting one, line the inside with sticky back 1/16" foam from some craft store and also install chafe (rubber) tape around the latch post to cut down on the metal to metal chatter.

owp3
owp3's Reviews
10-28-2011, 04:38 PM
Price: $149.00
Pros: sturdy and secure, easy to install
Cons: scratches easily
Recommended? Yes

Comments: This is very sturdy and secure. Like other Tuffy products along the same vein, it scratches pretty easy.

HBJeepster
HBJeepster's Reviews
09-13-2011, 05:42 PM
Price: $175.00
Pros: Very nice for those small items you dont want stolen
Cons: nothing
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Its small but it comes in handy

MJDriver

MJDriver's Reviews
07-11-2011, 09:42 PM
Price: $60.00
Pros: Nicely constructed, seems pretty sturdy, has decent room inside for a radio face and garage door opener.
Cons: The screw holes on one side did not line up with the factory, and were hell to get proper.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Overall this is a good addition to the interior.

A word about installation: do not even bother with being nice about unscrewing and removing the original glove box. There are two screws on the back side of the glove box (inside, with the head pointing toward the engine). Even the instructions say these are difficult to remove - incredible understatement.

Use this approach - unbolt everything you can from the original glovebox, including the latching cover and hardware. Then, take a dremel tool with a cut-off wheel and cut a line all the way around the inside of the drawer, about two inches inside the lip of the glovebox. Once that is done, just pull out the inside. Now you have perfect access to the most horribly mounted screws ever.

xlTravislx

xlTravislx's Reviews
06-16-2011, 04:36 PM
Price: $10.00
Pros: locks your stuff up!
Cons: nothing
Recommended? Yes

Comments: it came with my jeep when i got it but its a must have.

Lemoore-on

Lemoore-on's Reviews
09-16-2010, 05:11 PM
Price: $150.00
Pros: Fort Freakin Knox!
Cons: cant think of any.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: When I bought the YJ the glove box door had been ripped off. I had to cary the registration and POI in my pocket when I drove it. I didn't realize how awsome this glove box would be. It completely replaces the whole unit.

Jeiip
Jeiip's Reviews
05-12-2010, 03:04 AM
Price: $157.00
Pros: Super tough
Cons: None
Recommended? Yes

Comments: After reading many reviews, it was obvious that this is a great product. The installation was easy and I am confident it will protect my valuables.

jeepinmichguy_

I haz ah Geep
jeepinmichguy_'s Reviews
03-18-2010, 09:27 PM
Pros: great security addition
Cons: price
Recommended? Yes

Comments: this thing is great to have a little somewhere to put a cut off togle and store a few things when the tops down. i think it should be more in ther $100 range but security is at a premium with a wrangler. install was easy just make sure you have a drill.

gily25
gily25's Reviews

12-28-2009, 02:41 PM
Pros: Solid powder coating, heavy lock
Cons: rattles, passenger's knees beware
Recommended? Yes

Comments: There's no greater way to walk away from your Jeep and know your stuff is secure. The tuffy line-up has the best options for security. If you have multiple pieces you can call them up and get matching tumbler locks.

My only issue is that it rattles some and your passengers need to watch their knees when they climb in (thumb loop sticks out).

southbound

southbound's Reviews
12-17-2009, 07:46 AM
Price: $125.00
Pros: Very secure, looks great, peace of mind when parking in bad areas, easy install.
Cons: Only available in black powder coat. Storage space isn't very big.
Recommended? Yes

Comments:
I got this product after my glove box door broke. This is a very stout glove box that locks up like a vault. I keep my sunglasses and iPod in it and never worry about them getting stolen. The install was fairly straight forward, but it is a tight fit and will require some patience. My only complaint is that the storage space isn't very large. It's perfect for some sunglasses, and iPod, a smaller digital camera and maybe a few other small things, but that's about it. The locking mechanism is rather large, so it takes up a lot of space inside the box. But this is also a good thing because the lock is strong and fully welded.

ditchdog

ditchdog's Reviews
12-10-2009, 04:02 PM
Price: $130.00
Pros: Locks up tight
Cons: Installation is also tight
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Installation is pretty tight, but it might be from the new computer from the Howell TBI kit. Locks up tight like all Tuffy boxes. Can't go wrong if you want to keep things secure.

weldonfoto
weldonfoto's Reviews

11-17-2009, 10:30 PM
Price: $105.00
Pros: Very heavy duty and looks very secure.
Cons: A bit on the small side. Installation could be better.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I installed the YJ tuffy glove box today. First off, getting the original jeep glove box off was a pain. The tuffy instructions stated that there could be four screws, instead of nuts, attaching the original box from the back. Sure enough, mine had screws - very tight space to fit even a stubby screwdriver and get enough leverage/pressure to remove the screws - but I did it. Install wasn't a lot easier - getting the two metal brackets that hold the box in (where the screws came out) to line up right so the bolt holes in the box would match was a real pain. I still don't entirely like the way it fit but it's pretty good. May mess with it a bit more later when I regain my patience and have time. Might just do away with the two brackets and bolt it in from the bottom. Overall, though, this is a great product.

_Kevin

_Kevin's Reviews
10-30-2009, 08:52 PM
Price: $160.00
Pros: Very strong
Cons: Passengers hit their knees on the handle, but are learning to avoid it
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Replaced my joke stock glove box with this, and am very happy. When I took it out of the box, I could instantly tell I'd made a good buy by the sheer weight of the thing, it's got to be 25lbs if not more! It was very simple to install, simply need to unbolt the original box, then bolt this new one in (after drilling 2 holes iirc). My original glove box could be opened extremely easy just by tugging on it, to the point where my passengers argued with me at times to tell me it wasn't locked. Now that I have the tuffy glove box in there, there's no doubt in my mind that everything I leave in there is secure against everything.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 > Last