Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Interior > Misc > Smittybilt - G.E.A.R. Tailgate Cover

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBlack Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday Sa

Smittybilt - G.E.A.R. Tailgate Cover Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Misc Next Product

Smittybilt - G.E.A.R. Tailgate Cover

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $50.00
Average Price: $53.15
Manufacturer: Smittybilt
Recommended?
Yes: 15 / No: 2
Company Website: http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/86.htm

Smittybilt G.E.A.R. Tailgate Covers

Need More Space? The G.E.A.R. Tailgate Covers feature interchangable PAL/MOLLE storage pouches. Designed to match the G.E.A.R. Seat Covers. The Tailgate Covers are manufactured from 600 Denier Polyester. They are also completely UV stable amd are available in 4 different colors: Black, Tan, OD Green and ACU!

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review

peter7675
peter7675's Reviews

11-26-2013, 03:54 PM
Price: $49.00
Pros: tons of extra storage perfect for all the things you may need while wheeling.
Cons: takes away from the very little trunk space you have
Recommended? Yes

Comments: i like mine, it did come free with the overhead gear unit i have had it for about a year and no issues with it. so far so good, i would advise anyone to get this if they wheel. it holds a lot of gear for me, much of which i may never need to use but very handy to have for that just in case moment.

BubbaBrown
BubbaBrown's Reviews
08-15-2013, 11:01 PM
Price: $49.00
Pros: Great access to storage.
Cons: Not enough bags.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Love the extra storage. Can't wait to add the seat storage system.

RobSheaTJ

RobSheaTJ's Reviews
03-15-2013, 10:21 AM
Price: $50.00
Pros: Good storage accessory. Increases trunk space and organization.
Cons: Poor quality fabric. Bagsa fall apart after very little wear and tear.
Recommended? No

Comments: This is a great idea but Smittybilt is Smittybilt. The quality of the material these bags are made of is terrible and the bottoms fell out of them in no time. I now only use the cloth hanger on the rear door.

traveler57

traveler57's Reviews
03-07-2013, 05:18 PM
Price: $1.00
Pros: Very useful storage solution
Cons: none
Recommended? Yes

Comments: easy to install. The molle and bags are perfect for all the "small bits" that you want to have in your jeep all the time. Got this for FREE from Smittybilt when I bought my rock rails. It was their gift to me for having to deal with the misaligned mounting holes. I filed out the holes pretty quick and love the rails. But president of Smittybilt is a stand up guy and sent me the tailgate cover. So now they have my business forever.

FF_Gundie
FF_Gundie's Reviews
11-28-2011, 01:37 AM
Price: $69.99
Pros: Sturdy, big bags, lots of pockets, loved it until it got ruined by someone breaking into my jeep :(
Cons: Someone sliced the bags up trying to get them off :-( only have the cover left, no bags.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Very sturdy bags and tail gate cover, same type of bags i use for my wildlland firefighting pack and that we use for our military personel. Highly recommended

Idwheelthat

Idwheelthat's Reviews
09-04-2011, 02:42 PM
Price: $100.00
Pros: holds stuff
Cons: drilling tailgate with crappy screws, softtop will not completely lower with bags full
Recommended? Yes

Comments: this is a two person install, drill you first hole at the handle/lock side and stretch from there, otherwise it will sag, and nobody likes anything saggy. does a good job keeping recovery equipment from rolling around. the system is compatible with military stuff, so you can go to the surplus store and get more packs. unfortunately, it also blocks the soft top from completely folding down (but is hidden better by the folded down top)

doomtroopin
doomtroopin's Reviews
08-18-2011, 05:48 PM
Price: $100.00
Pros: Love the MOLLE stuff. Storage galore!!
Cons: Not as UV-resistant as they manufacturer like to claim.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I've got the GEAR front seat covers, back seat covers, tailgate cover, and the overhead. Because of the military / tactical team work I've done, the MOLLE attachment was just a natural choice. Storage options are limitless, and with the help of some other sites - cheaper than dirt, opsgear - pouches to specifically fit whatever you have in mind in any color you can imagine are just a click away.

Jeepjeff018
Jeepjeff018's Reviews
04-29-2011, 02:52 AM
Price: $0.01
Pros: got it with my G.E.A.R front seats
Cons: front seats suck, my driver side is ripping the tailgate cover is difficult to install with out a extra hand
Recommended? Yes

Comments: good but the front GEAR cover seat are ok and I wish they were cheaper

JK4Three
JK4Three's Reviews
03-05-2011, 01:08 PM
Price: $45.00
Pros: Creates storage in a good place, molle attachments, solid construction
Cons: cheap sheet metal screws provided
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Great place to add storage. The molle cover and bags provided are well built. There is room to add a small third item, maybe a flashlight holder. I'd give it 5 stars except the screws provided were low quality. I bought stainless steel ones.

pacsman

pacsman's Reviews
12-22-2010, 01:39 PM
Price: $49.99
Pros: Great fit, easy install, great organization ability
Cons: N/A
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Very easy install and great fit. Allows for great organization of accessories.

kashoggio

kashoggio's Reviews
11-13-2010, 10:53 PM
Price: $55.00
Pros: plenty of space for all your stuff
Cons: cheap zippers, not a great fit,
Recommended? No

Comments: when i first saw this I was all over it. Install was a pita the screws they supplied are junk! hard to get the item nice and flush against the tail gate. The zippers that are on the puches are junk as well. The biggest draw back in once you put some heavier items in the puches the whole thing will sag a little and the big puch will get stuck in the tailgate... great idea on paper no so much in real world applications.

bmburton13
bmburton13's Reviews
10-20-2010, 09:13 PM
Price: $60.00
Pros: MMuch more storage
Cons: nothing
Recommended? Yes

Comments: It stores so much, with many possibilites

markxj2k
markxj2k's Reviews
10-03-2010, 10:56 PM
Pros: Cheap price for organized tool storage
Cons: None
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I can keep all my tools and most of my recovery gear organized in the included bags, so stuff isn't flying around on the trails.

engine351

engine351's Reviews
07-31-2010, 06:22 PM
Price: $75.00
Pros: Holds a lot, interfaces with other MOLLE pouches
Cons: takes up space behind rear seat
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Installed fairly easily. It provides good storage space for first aid kits, tow straps, etc. It does take up the "trunk" space behind the rear seat, however.

oregonJK08
oregonJK08's Reviews
07-22-2010, 12:52 AM
Price: $49.50
Pros: The extra storage is a huge plus and i like the location since i have the back seat out.
Cons: soft top sits on storage bags and is in the way if you are trying to quickly grab something with the tailgate shut
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Easy installation and gives extra storage without taking up too much extra space in your jeep. Has a rugged look to each which i think is a plus and it is well made.

charvey9
charvey9's Reviews

03-01-2010, 07:30 PM
Price: $49.99
Pros: Added storage, cool selection of colors, rugged.
Cons: Cheap hardware.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Overall this is a great product. One of the only things I don't like about my JK is the lack of storage space for tools, off-road recovery, etc. The Smittybuilt G.E.A.R. tailgate bag set is probably one of the best mods you can add for under $50. Each of the bags and the cover are made from heavy duty fabric and crafted to take some abuse. I keep all of my off-road recovery tools in one bag, and my hand tools in the other. Each bag can be detatched and has a carrying strap so you can easily grab your tools and take them with you to the site repairs are needed.

The only bad thing about the bags was the cheap installation hardware provided. At least on the JK tailgate, there are some places where the metal is too thick for the provided self tappers to pull through, even with a 7/64" pilot hole. After sizing up to a 1/8" pilot hole I still had problems with the screws on the bottom of the gate stripping out, so I went ahead and used some of my own HD stainless selftappers. I'd reccommend using an 1/8" pilot hole for installation and upgrading to some heavy duty self tappers.

WillysEdition04

WillysEdition04's Reviews

12-30-2009, 12:25 PM
Pros: Much Cheaper than the Springtail MPAK system. This system covers the entire tailgate, allowing more mounting space than the 20" MPAK. 1 year Warranty included. Any MOLLE compatible bags should work. 2 bags are included.
Cons: I have too much stuff, so I need at least one more bag. Cant mount heavy items like a fire extinguisher like you can on the MPAC, although I'm not sure I'd want my fire suppression that far away from me anyway.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Install was relatively easy, but I didn't have a hardened steel 7/64" bit. A general purpose bit and plenty of oil with my 18v cordless worked fine.
The directions are easy to follow but not as easy to apply. I found it better to mount one corner and work your way over, clamping it in place rather than taping it on and drilling all holes at once.

Several colors and ACU camo are nice options. The OD Green matches my Willys Edition theme perfectly, almost looks OEM.

This product seems to be better than the typical Smittybilt products that gave the company a bad reputation here. I like this GEAR system better than their seat covers because it seems more practical and more easily accessible. I like it better than Springtail's system because it has a larger mounting surface and is very affordable.