Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Interior > Seats > Smittybilt G.E.A.R.

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Smittybilt G.E.A.R. Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Seats Next Product

Smittybilt G.E.A.R.

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $300.00
Average Price: $146.88
Manufacturer: Smittybilt
Recommended?
Yes: 23 / No: 3

OD Green w/hydration pack

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review
Page 1 of 2 1 2 > Last

TimeWellWasted
TimeWellWasted's Reviews
03-30-2014, 12:13 PM
Price: $200.00
Pros: Quadrtech...$200 for Front and Rear w/ free tailgate cover. Lots O' Storage
Cons: Pain in the Ass to install, doesn't fit well unless you have removable head rest
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Was a little disappointed. Since my seats are bucket, and have a built in headrest, it was almost impossible to install. And one of the adjustment straps on the top outside is set to go right over the seat tilt lever.

XxoSPARKSoxX
Free Range Jeep
XxoSPARKSoxX's Reviews
03-17-2014, 10:02 PM
Price: $325.00
Pros: Very high "COOL" factor in digital camo pattern. Lots of storage.
Cons: MADE IN CHINA A little baggy on my 90 YJ seats.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Very cool in the digital camo pattern.

Looks great.

Did I mention they were MADE IN CHINA?

txAg09
txAg09's Reviews
10-07-2013, 04:56 AM
Price: $500.00
Pros: Storage
Cons: Pricey
Recommended? Yes

Comments: These covers are great if you have a need to store a large amount of items and are short on space, like most of us are in Wranglers.

4x4JeepGirl
4x4JeepGirl's Reviews
09-27-2013, 11:44 PM
Price: $99.00
Pros: Looks good. Extra storage.
Cons: Fits kinda funny on an '02 TJ
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Aside from the odd fitting, these covers are great. The MOLLE system on the back make it so you can put the pouches where ever you like and it even has some webbing on the sides and front of the seat. The Webbing on the right side of the drivers seat is kinda useless, as it's wedged between the side of the seat and the cup holder on a TJ, but all in all it works.

czechsky
czechsky's Reviews
03-02-2013, 07:12 AM
Price: $1.00
Pros: G.E.A.R. Overhead - many pockets/bags for storage. The metal frame of it give you an optional place to secure a CB.
Cons: Minor- impedes cabin space/line of vision of you are tall.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Worthwhile product. Stiching is strong. You can use what you want of the several mole bags that are provided.

Jpuff

Jpuff's Reviews

02-08-2013, 09:37 AM
Pros: Great concept, great idea for storage, cool look
Cons: Is not an universal fit. Poorly made. Durable material but the construction is poorly executed. Terrible fit (if you want to call it that) for the 03'-06' TJ.
Recommended? No

Comments: The G.E.A.R. seatcovers is a really great idea. It adds that military/rugged look to your jeep and is a great concept. However, once you purchase them and see them in person, it's a different story. I have an 03'-06' TJ and if I didn't know any better, I bought the wrong model seat cover. But it's a 'universal' seat cover which is code for loosely made to poorly cover all models. All seats are not the same, and maybe if Smittybuilt specifically designed it for each model I'd reconsider.

Problems with the universal fit for the 03'-06':

-The top velcro strap does not go over the headrest, you have to tuck it into the top of the seat cover to hide the strap. You can feel the bulge of the strap as well. Or you could just cut it off. But the srap is useless.

- The top portion of the seat cover does not cover the entire upper seat. It either leaves the headrest exposed, or if you use the top velcrow strap on the headrest, you'll have to cut off bottom portion, leaving the bottom portion of the top seat partially exposed. Either way it leaves full coverage something to be desired

-The top side velcro strap covers up the lever to fold up and slide the seat forward.

-I know the bottom portion is not suppose to cover the entire seat...however, it does not fit the bottom half. It's like a fat guy in a little coat. It is too small for the seat and does not strech properly and fitting over the enitre bottom half. Also, the bungee cord is cheap and does not conect very well under the seat. Might snap on you.

In addition, the pictures are deceptive. It appears there are not only all the packs on the back but also packs for storage on the lower portion of the front seat. This is misleading. There are only the 7 that you see on the back. They took some of the ones on the back (along with the the american flag patch) and put them on the front for the picture.

If you own a 97'-02', it's possible that you wont run into these problems. The pictures, afterall, are all modeled on those years' seats. So I'd say its at your own descresion. I would only buy these seat covers if you get a really really good deal on them. Never buy them at full price. Also, if you don't mind moding them to fit. So if you can get them for cheap and don't mind spending some time on them beefing them up, go for it! But if you're not careful you could blow a lot of money on these things and be very disappointed. That's why I returned mine

The only thing that is worth keeping is the tailgate cover... I'd buy just that if you are looking for descent storage. It's good on room and it's pretty low profile, hidden in the back...so they don't scream steal me! I have that and I'm pretty well satisfied with it so far. I keep my recovery equipment in it along with a hanful of my mostly used tools. They also come with a shoulder sling strap so they can be used outside of the Jeep.

SandyBottoms

SandyBottoms's Reviews
09-02-2012, 09:28 PM
Pros: Tons of storage, sturdy material, looks rugged.
Cons: Doesn't cover entire seat, tough to get them adjusted to fit properly
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Awesome seat covers if your looking for tough material and added storage. But there are improvements that can be made and pretty by any means.

CloakedLJ

CloakedLJ's Reviews
07-25-2012, 02:45 PM
Pros: Adds extra user customizable storage space via the M.O.L.L.E system
Cons: hard to install, straps on pouches can fail.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Seat covers are not a universal fit as the maker states. The covers by design fit the older TJ seats much better then the newer ones. I had to remove both seats to get them on and modify the attachment to get them to work.

llempart
llempart's Reviews
04-12-2012, 08:13 PM
Price: $100.00
Pros: Great for holding your flashlight or other items.
Cons: Cheaply made.
Recommended? No

Comments: Had these for a year. All the stitching is coming out from the seat covers.

Nmusto211

Nmusto211's Reviews
02-19-2012, 05:33 PM
Pros: Looks great, adds some storage room
Cons: Front seat cover can take away some leg room for rear passengers.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Front seat cover and tailgate cover look great and are easy to install, gives me some useful storage space.

Nealadouglas
Nealadouglas's Reviews
01-22-2012, 06:33 PM
Price: $230.00
Pros: Function well...lots of storage...look great...easy to clean
Cons: Need a better fit for jk seats
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Looks like they would fit tj seats perfectly. ..Need to make a better fit for jk seats...still happy with them

plunn84
plunn84's Reviews
01-19-2012, 08:42 AM
Pros: MOLLE for your seats! These covers have lasted over 2 years so far with minor fading.
Cons: They're only really intended for use on a Wrangler-sided seat so there is quite a bit of extra velcro on every strap (only in a Cherokee) The elastic rope that held the bottom to the seat is fine but is, once again, not meant for a Cherokee-style seat; one of the straps broke after a year and a half.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: What can I say... They look cool, they are VERY functional and they have lasted a very long time as far as seat covers are concerned. One of the pouches is even the perfect size to hold a 12oz canned beverage of the passenger's choosing (if you don't need to strap it in) or a smaller camera.

You *will* be the envy of anyone who happens to get a close-up view of the back of your seats, I know I have.

mattyfly42
mattyfly42's Reviews

10-30-2011, 01:37 AM
Price: $110.00
Pros: Look cool and lots of storage.
Cons: doesn't fit yj seats faded due to sun exposure velcro straps broke snaps dont snap pockets
Recommended? No

Comments: Does not fit yj seats. Also got the digicam and it turned pink from sun exposure. And all the velcro straps have broken off. Very poorly made. Called smittybuilt and no reply. Did not hold up to moderate climate weather and exposure. And it is very difficult to snap the pockets on. it seems some of the snaps dont fit.

parcours
parcours's Reviews
05-07-2011, 09:43 PM
Price: $120.00
Pros: Gives added storage which is always good in a TJ.
Cons: Doesn't cover the entire seat.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Add's the needed storage space.

cthompson8846

cthompson8846's Reviews
09-28-2010, 11:50 AM
Price: $30.00
Pros: a lot of extra storage
Cons: scream steal me, to the not so honest.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: A good looking addition to your jeep, and providing a good place for things that you dont want rolling around, ie. cameras, binoculars, GPS.

Goatfeather
Goatfeather's Reviews
08-30-2010, 03:05 AM
Pros: looks are awesome. I get a lot of compliments on them. Overload on storage as they are based on the Army M.O.L.E. (Molly) pack design. Tuff durable nylon rip stop fabric. I thought that there might be a problem with them soaking up the water when it rains (i hardly keep the doors on) but water just rolls off. Now if you dont wipe the water off your backside will get wet. The velcro straps hold the covers in place and are adjustable to fit your size of seats.
Cons: I have only 2 cons. The first is trivial but a quick fix. I didnt like the way the seat flap just sliud arouind. When getting into the jeep it would bunch up and move around. So what I did was get a small bungee cord and looped it around the crease of the seat and connected it to the underside of the seat. This holds it in place. Also it comes with a bungee cord that hold the side flaps down that you connect under the seat. These break with the moving of the seat and not very well thought out. What I did was get some bailing wire and used that to hold them fast to the underside. Now they dont break or move around.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Great looking and durable. Tell everyone to get them that ask. My wife doesnt like them because they dont COVER the whole seat. They are more like a bikini, she says they just cover the important parts. I love them and they give the Jeep a more outdoor rugged look on the inside. Also there is tons of storage that you can configure however you want, in the form of snap on velcro bags. The design it self is based on the Army M.O.L.E. ruck sacks they use.

rkeough

rkeough's Reviews
06-08-2010, 10:18 PM
Price: $95.00
Pros: Lots of pockets for stuff.
Cons: Attachment straps don't secure very well.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Needed something to store my widgets and gadgets, rain gear, etc. These fit the bill.

kmac2007

kmac2007's Reviews
10-11-2009, 01:55 PM
Price: $150.00
Pros: looks cool
Cons: seat fitment
Recommended? Yes

Comments: army digital

DevilDog93
DevilDog93's Reviews
08-24-2009, 09:00 PM
Pros: Durability, storage features and looks
Cons: Not a fitted seat cover
Recommended? Yes

Comments: These seat covers scream JEEP! This is a product that defines the Jeep, it's rugged, useful and unique.

Nicho

Nicho's Reviews
08-17-2009, 06:47 PM
Pros: Great additional storage, look pretty good.
Cons: need adjustments to install properly.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I like them, they do not cover the whole seat and their color options do not match TJ stock interior colors but I am not sure that really matters.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 > Last