Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Suspension > Steering Stabilizers > ADDCO WJ sway bar WJ rear sway bar # 684

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

ADDCO WJ sway bar WJ rear sway bar # 684 Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Steering Stabilizers Next Product

ADDCO WJ sway bar WJ rear sway bar # 684

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $250.00
Average Price: $157.50
Manufacturer: ADDCO WJ sway bar
Recommended?
Yes: 16 / No: 0

Our stock suspension does an adequate job in most situations. Where you may run into a problem (no pun intended) is when you need to make a sudden lane change to avoid an accident or when you find that curve in the road is a little sharper than you thought. As you vehicle begins to turn, the body will " roll" transferring weight to the outside wheels. This causes the front end to "plow", or what is technically known as understeer

With the simple addition of An Anti-Sway bar, you will notice a drastic improvement in handling substantially less body roll and better balance

http://www.addco.net/aftermarket.htm

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review

ry1820

ry1820's Reviews
08-05-2012, 12:21 PM
Price: $137.00
Pros: Easy to install. Helped with oversteer
Cons: none
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Fantastic product. This made a huge difference from OEM.
Got it from Amazon.com for 137 - free shipping!

leadsled jeep

leadsled jeep's Reviews

02-23-2012, 09:47 PM
Price: $150.00
Pros: Rear sway in corners was massive, now very nearly gone.
Cons: Doesn't perfect the handling, now a small weakness up front is apparent if you are picky. Many won't notice unless pushed to extremes cornering.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I preface this with the info that I am a handling guy from way back and notice small differences front and rear....

I just installed the rear Addco *to a nearly stock up country suspension '02 Overland which has only 3/4" poly spacers on all four corners.*

Install took 30 min with time to lift the rear and set on jack stands. Bolts were a tad rusty. Rust belt jeeps may need slightly more time on bushing bolts 15mm. End link bolts are 18mm with 15mm nuts.

Handling is a huge improvement in rear. Before the front was the most stable in turns. Now the front is slightly too loose and could be more stiff. I plan to contact Kolak's to see if front endlink kit with poly bushings are an improvement over stock and may fill the gap. If not sufficient, I may go with adding the Addco front as well.

The rear grip improvement in corners is really significant. I suspect semi trucks passing now will in no way effect being pushed around on interstates. I will test this in a few days.

The Overland would oversteer in sharp corners with massive lean. Now there is very little rear lean and it slightly understeers with some slight front lean.

Again the improvement is dramatic and I am picking small details as handling balance perfection is where my interests lie. I hope this helps.*

4Doors
4Doors's Reviews
11-10-2011, 12:21 PM
Price: $145.00
Pros: Made my WJ stable and safe. Took away the floating and crosswind issues at highway speeds. Amazing upside for the price.
Cons: None.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Should have come from the factory like this. I think on a WJ, this is a must have. Add a pair of greasable bushings and you're all set.

alpinelife26
alpinelife26's Reviews
09-22-2011, 12:18 AM
Price: $149.00
Pros: Nice looking...easy install
Cons: n/a
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Easy install.....but can't tell a difference yet because shocks are bad. Will see after shocks get replaced

huntandfish
huntandfish's Reviews

11-23-2010, 09:40 AM
Pros: Tight handling Stability increase Confidence booster(this thing is manly and will never break)
Cons: Makes you want to drive through the corners faster....
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Night and Day my friends. This thing is awesome. Should have come from the factory with the addco.

I think it will make my MPG go down because i will be on the gas more through corners.

corvettekid82
corvettekid82's Reviews
10-16-2010, 11:18 AM
Price: $160.00
Pros: Nice, heavy duty bar. Really helped keep the body roll down after the lift install
Cons: Comes with really crappy mounting hardware and non greasable bushings. The mounting hardware they gave was incorrect as well
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Ended up buying greasable bushings and mounting kit from summit and it fixed the squeaking/mounting issues with addcos mounting hardware. Bar is a great product and the newer, black powder coated version does not contact the gas tank skid.

WJ-matt

WJ-matt's Reviews
05-17-2010, 06:33 PM
Price: $140.00
Pros: heavy to lift when your on the ground trying to hold it up
Cons: HOLY **** wow i feel like im in a sports car
Recommended? Yes

Comments: tightened up my turns a lot. no more sway to the jeep, and no more randome wondering on the road.

JerseyWJ

JerseyWJ's Reviews
03-07-2010, 09:45 AM
Price: $149.00
Pros: Must have for WJs
Cons: None
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Get this even if you have nothing else on your Jeep. It is needed for great handling. The stock one is a key chain. Also, get the greasable bushings by Energy Suspension for it. Your Jeep will feel better than when you bought it.

coltlacrosse
coltlacrosse's Reviews

08-22-2009, 05:38 PM
Price: $140.00
Pros: Very noticeable increased stability around turns. Easy install (about an hour with no prior experience). Great price:performance ratio.
Cons: Makes ride more rigid (you feel moreroad imperfections)
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I ordered mine from Kolak@aol.com, his website is wjjeeps.com. The price was $140 for the bar, $12 for shipping, and $19 for the optional greaseable bushings (highly recommended). It came in about a week and I couldn't wait to have it on! I was hesitant about installing it myself, as I have never done any mechanical work on a car before, so I emailed Kolak and he sent me a great guide. In took me about an hour to install it, plus the time for the liquid wrench to loosen the rusted bolts on my WJ.

As soon as I was finished, I did a quick inspection to make sure I did everything right and took it out for a test drive. I drove around my neighborhood and the first thing I noticed was how much increased stability I had around turns. The car no longer leaned in every turn and it felt like I was driving my moms Range Rover. I was so excited I took it to the street for some more "testing". The stability held true even at higher speeds. The only con I noticed was when I pulled back into my driveway, I felt the curb more than I usually did, while this is a drawback, it is in no way shape or form a reason not to get this bar.

Bottom line, excellent upgrade, well worth the money, and guaranteed not to disappoint. In my honest opinion, I would have easily paid $350 for this bar had it cost that much.

UPDATE: It is now June 2012, about 3 years after installing the bar and writing this review and I am proud to announce that the performance has remained the same. After installing new shocks (KYB Monomax) my handling feels like I'm driving my dad's lambo! (not really, but you get the point). I strongly recommend getting new shocks with this bar, I wish I did 3 years ago but I couldn't afford it

UrbanOffRoad124

UrbanOffRoad124's Reviews
06-03-2009, 03:15 AM
Price: $159.99
Pros: Way less body roll!
Recommended? Yes

Comments: A must have for any WJ. I installed both front and back Addco bars with Energy Suspension bushings and so far, they are the single best purchase I've made. Definitely get the greasable bushing for the rear and I modified my front brackets and bushing to install zerk fittings. My front bar squeeked really bad and I was tired of pulling off the bushing to re-grease.

bendafinga
bendafinga's Reviews

03-23-2009, 06:02 AM
Price: $145.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Big difference but I now hear noises over bumps. My shocks are factory which have almost 70k miles ao, that may be next to replace.

IRPerformance
IRPerformance's Reviews

09-23-2008, 09:48 PM
Price: $180.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I did the front and rear Addco bars and the Jeep now corners like a car. Should have come like this from the factory. The original rear bar was a joke.

apple
apple's Reviews

05-02-2008, 10:37 AM
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Great way to improve handling. Noticable difference especially during cornering.

QuadraTokn

QuadraTokn's Reviews

04-21-2008, 09:46 PM
Recommended? Yes

Comments: AWESOME. 100% better handling.

gpJeep
gpJeep's Reviews

07-10-2007, 10:02 AM
Price: $250.00
Pros: excellent stability through the corners
Cons: getting the bolts out is a little difficult on install
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I purchased a rear addco sway bar last January for about 250 us plus shipping as I'm in Canada. The sway bar was installed about 4 months later. I had the black version which I think is version 3 of the rear sway bar for the WJ series. I used the large washer install method as described in jjeeps - the unit had no knock or rattle after the install and worked great .

Other things I did for the install, I used the supplied bushings but cut groves in them for grease passage and lubbed the bushing before placement with special non slip black marine ( mercrusier bearing ) grease as this grease will not wash out with water.. Normally it is used on outdrive lube points, so its gotta stick around even in water fresh or salt. No problems encountered with that setup.

I had previously put a set of oil sprung shocks (skyjaker 7000's) into the truck that improved the handling greatly. With the addco sway bar mod I could feel an even more responsive feel in the handling of the truck and that was just backing out of the garage! (it did not wobble over the garage floor lip anymore)

What a change to the handling round corners! My 99 had a tendancy to top wobble around corners forcing me to slow down a lot , too much for the corners. I had the feeling that the truck body would slide right off the wheels in any corner.

The addco mod made the jeepGC handle more like my car. I could not go faster around the curves but because of the new handling I did not need to brake before during and after a turn in the jeep. This mod changes the rear end by pinning it in such a way that handling changes for the better with respect to stablity, smoothness and road handling around curves or in any s manuvers.

If you do mainly road driving like I do, 90% or more this mod is great. I did find though on a little bit of rough stuff ie even uneven dirt roads this mod is not what you may want as the tail end is too pinned and the ride becomes progressivley rougher with higher speeds -- even with soft shocks.

I highly recomend his mod to all the street drivers like me who would like to have more decent handling in corners and generally in the way the truck handles all round... a really great mod

EisBlade

Web Wheeler
EisBlade's Reviews

02-09-2007, 10:21 AM
Pros: Better cornering, dependable support, improved leveling ability.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: The addco sway bar provides significantly more anti-roll support over the stock sway bar. The stock bar is thin and hollowed, whereas the addco sway bar is thick and solid. Mount points are the same and there is no drilling required. Install time will depend on your mechanical ability, but is generally short due to simply unbolting the old and replacing it with the new hardware received. No special tools required. The only thing suggested by most would be greasable bushings; which would also require a grease gun and a tube of grease for injection. This should be done twice yearly, but is a menial commitment for someone proud of what they drive and enjoys the hands-on it takes to take care of their vehicle.

Once installed, it only takes the first test drive to notice the difference it makes. You'll notice significantly less body roll, travelling through a curve with a much level stance that keeps more even wheel contact on the roadway. This results in better footing throughout. Anyone familiar with performance driving knows to avoid braking in the midst of cornering as much as possible; instead, braking before entering the curve and accelerating through it. You'll drive more confidently knowing that the Addco bar will keep your tires where they need to stay, directly under your vehicle rather than slipping away whilst the body itself attempts to roll off when cornering.