Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Suspension > Springs > Rough Country - XJ Shackle Relocation Kit

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Rough Country - XJ Shackle Relocation Kit Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Springs Next Product

Rough Country - XJ Shackle Relocation Kit

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating: None

Product Information

MSRP: $119.95
Average Price: $89.50
Manufacturer: Rough Country
Recommended?
Yes: 2 / No: 0
Company Website: http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xtras_1117.html

Shackle Relocation drops the mounting point of the left spring shackle down and allows for adjustment of the shackle angle for maximum articulation and ride quality.

I ordered directly from RC through Ryan Chase. I was given a 10% discount for being a member of JeepForum. Shipping was fast with a 2-3 day turn around time.

Product is much sturdier looking in person than in the instructional videos or images. 3/16" steel looks very nice in person.

I noticed one major problem, however. The powder coating on all the finished pieces was subpar at best. Finish was not smooth, there was quite a bit of bare metal and some unmelted powder coating sitting in the packaging. This is a problem that should be addressed with the company that powder coats RC's parts.

Installation was easy. The most difficult and time consuming part was removing the bolts from the suspension/body.

NOTE!!! Raise the Jeep up and put jack stands under the frame rails. Unbolt the rear shocks from the axle as well as be extra careful with the rear brake line. It unbolts by removing the vent tube and unscrewing the fitting. On a stock XJ, it is fairly short and I almost broke it. Be careful!

Back to the review:
I was able to achieve not breaking any bolt in my rusty 92 XJ with the usage of a LOT of heat, wd40, impact wrench, and finally breaker bar. Removing the rear bumper will grant you access to the inside of the frame rail where the shackle bolt threads through. Torch and lubricate at that point and rotate the bolt in both directions to work it out.

Once you get to the point where the bolt will no longer move out with the impact but will go back in, the breaker bar will usually be enough to get it out the rest of the way.

Instructions are very clear. New bolts for the leaf springs (use the original shackle bolt to mount the main bracket to the body) make possibly breaking one of those bolts not a big deal.

The adjustability of the shackle angle is great and the kit will also give you 1"-1.5" of lift depending on shackle setup.

Aside from the powder coating issues, I recommend this product.

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review

mbookxj
mbookxj's Reviews
01-21-2012, 06:49 PM
Price: $129.00
Pros: Soft ride. Lifted my jeep about an inch or so.
Cons: Need to use a longer shackle to get the full use of it.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: With the original shackle I had to cut the exhaust tip off because it hit the bolt for the shackle. Also the stock shackle is so short it doesn't give the relocation bracket it full potential. I'm upgrading to a longer shackle soon. The ride is very good. I would recommend this item.

Azzy

Web Wheeler
Azzy's Reviews
01-09-2012, 11:38 AM
Price: $50.00
Pros: Nice kit, pre-painted, easy to install
Cons: Holes dont line up just right, could give you too much lift.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Went in super easy, took more time just pulling the upper shackle bolts from this rusty PA XJ. Actual install time for both sides, with adjustment was 30 min. Took me from 2" lift in the rear to 5" with a par of extended shackles, everything at minimum height.

The ride quality with the new geometry is 200% better. Got these on sale during the 12 days of Xmas, and worth every penny.