34K views 65 replies 64 participants last post by  carlsflh 
#1 ·
Product Information
Price $450
Rating 4
Average Price $343.97
Manufacturer Old Man Emu (OME)
Recommended Yes: 65 / No: 0

The emu is a unique bird native to Australia and cannot fly due to its massive size, but these amazing creatures can really run well. Their powerful legs absorb most of the impact while moving, allowing them to cover all types of terrain with the greatest of ease while their bodies remain virtually motionless.

Vehicle Suspension is especially complex, to say the least. When designing a suspension, special attention must be given to many factors with weight being the most critical. Most aftermarket suspension systems are only available in a single configuration, with lift height often being your only option. Old Man Emu is different. Instead of offering a compilation of parts that have been chosen primarily to increase the vehicle's ride height, Emu offers a range of tuned and matched, integrated systems, each offering varying degrees of comfort, load carrying capability & control characteristics. All components are designed by ARB and manufactured in Australia with an unrelenting, no-compromise approach.

Choose a suspension rated for a heavy load when your vehicle is equipped with many heavy accessories such as a winch, ARB bumper, hardtop, V8 engine conversion, roof rack, swing out tire carrier, etc. A medium load suspension will provide a softer ride for vehicles with perhaps just a winch and a hardtop. An Emu suspension rated for light loads is only recommended for soft top vehicles with little or no heavy accessories. When in doubt, choose medium. If you are looking for a firm ride and plan to add lots of heavy accessories in the future, choose a system rated for heavy loads. See you on the trails, mate

See less See more
#27 ·
Price $250
Pros Very sturdy
Very good ride quality
Cons None
Recommended yes

Comments: I love my HD OME leaf springs.

They are well finished with some kind of phosphate/Parkerizing, not just glommed up with paint like the OEM replacement springs.

They started out as 3+" lift, but settled down to EXACTLY 2" of lift in a month or so of driving.

#28 ·
Price $250
Pros Superior finish
Good ride quality
Heavy duty
Cons None
Recommended yes

Comments: The OME heavy duty leaf springs are a great way to go if you're doing a 2 inch lift.

I have never had a suspension lifted vehicle before, so I can't really compare to much. But the OME's are very well built with a great fit and finish that I don't see in the OEM HD replacement springs I bought but never installed.

The OME springs only took 1 month to settle from 3" of lift to the advertised 2" -- the body is now EXACTLY 2" higher than its published stock height. Same with the front OME coil springs I installed.

The front coil springs are great because the driver's side spring is a bit taller than the passenger side. The stock coil springs I removed were the same height. The OME coil springs level the vehicle laterally -- it used to slump a bit to the driver's side when it had the stock springs.

#32 ·
Price $350
Pros HD springs take care of extra weight of winch and oversized tire on rear carrier
Cons shipping time was long.
Recommended yes

Comments: Aussie really have something going with the OME stuff.

#33 ·
Price $300
Pros quality
Cons none
Recommended yes

Comments: I ordered the OME 618 rear coils and OME 619 front coils for my 2007 JK X 2 door. The 619 front coils gave me a slightly higher lift in the front to level out the rake with an aftermarket front bumper.

#34 ·
Price $168
Pros versital utility leaf spring
Cons expensive
Recommended yes

Comments: So it's no secret that I have a small "bro"mance with the good people down unda' at OME. Not gonna lie the prices are a bit much but worth every penny and it's kinda nice knowing I'm not gonna have to worry about springs for years. They are reliable and tough for road and trail, mine is a daily driver. Get your hands on some.

#37 ·
Price $240
Pros Progressive rate. Minimal sag. Differing height to offset engine revs, good flex.
Cons A little stiff, but they were made for large bumpers that I don't have.
Recommended yes

Comments: OME is known for high quality for a reason. The springs have not sagged and the progressive rate is great off-road.

#39 ·
Price $150
Pros Good lift, quality spring
Cons a little stiff, I'll see how the new bumper helps them ride
Recommended yes

Comments: I would buy these again probably. Though had I planned better for my new bumper I would have gotten the RE3.5 instead. With a stock bumper I ended up with 2.75" of lift + a .75" spacer on top of that. My new bumper will be fairly heavy and may decrease the measured lift a little.

#40 ·
Price $440
Pros Great ride, no sag, advertised amount of lift.
Cons None?
Recommended yes

Comments: 14F springs provide 2.5" of lift where as the heavier duty 36R springs provide closer to 3" of lift. This causes a bit of a rake to the front. If i were to do it again I would use 36Rs all the way around even if ride suffered slightly.

#43 ·
Price $330
Pros Very good springs, nice ride good flex.
Cons need more choices in lift height
Recommended yes

Comments: I bought the springs and OME bushing kits online. Everything arrived during the week and I proceeded to start the project on Satuday morning. Well...after spending the entire day I finally got the old components off and the front back together. It took most of Sunday to finish up(23 years of rusted frozen bolts!) but when I got it together I was excited. At the side step I measured just under 3" of lift. The ride is night and day different from the old worn stock components and it flexes well on the trail. I am glad that decided on the OME springs. The only thing that I would probably do different is put 36R on all four corners.

#46 ·
Price $250
Pros strong stable with no swaybar on highway
Cons expencive only reason i had gotten these was because i found them on here for 250
Recommended yes

Comments: what can i say its ome best ride ever

#47 ·
Price $900
Pros been great to me so far, little complaints here and there but nothing I couldn't handle in short recession
Cons needs extra clips to keep the springs in check, but this might be the case with all springs in due time
Recommended yes

Comments: They came with the jeep, so I didn't install them. I did, however take them off and reinstall them when I found that the BL was done wrong by PO, so I just redid everything suspension wise. New set of U bolts later, the springs held up to some serious action and want some more. I will say, however (and this might be the case with all springs as they get more used), I had to fab up some extra clips to wrap around the springs to keep them frpm spreading apart, wierd I know. Overall, very nice product.

#49 ·
Price $320
Pros Very good ride, especially with weight...
Cons Without weight, it is a little bit rough
Recommended yes

Comments: I put these on at my dealer's recomendation to help with the extra weight I put on. Hadn't realy expected them to give me more height... They did... With the additional equipment, Bumpers winch and such, I gained about 4" on my JKU. With the Gobi rack full and the rear full ready for an expedition. I still sit around 3" above stock... and weighted the ride is much better than stock...

Highly recommend.

#50 ·
Price $450
Pros Firm not stiff, full lift height as advertised
Cons None so far!
Recommended yes

Comments: Great ride, with the lift amount realized slightly more than advertised. Solid black coating on the springs which hopefully will resist corrosion.

#51 ·
Price $1
Pros I bought these springs as part of the DPG super ultimate kit. Performs ok on and off road. Nice for a low cg lift.
Cons A little stiff in the rear. front end was also stiff with the stock sway bar.
Recommended yes

Comments: The product was good. Went in pretty straight forward. The springs were stiff until I changed to aftermarket bumpers and changed the stock sway bar to a currie anti rock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.