Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Suspension > Complete Lift Kits > Rubicon Express RE5525 4.5" Extreme Duty CJ Kit

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Rubicon Express RE5525 4.5" Extreme Duty CJ Kit Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Complete Lift Kits Next Product

Rubicon Express RE5525 4.5" Extreme Duty CJ Kit

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $1,200.00
Average Price: $987.28
Manufacturer: Rubicon Express
Recommended?
Yes: 17 / No: 0

CJ Extreme Duty Suspension kit fits 1976-1986 CJ5, CJ7, and CJ8. Rubicon Extreme-Duty spring-under kits are favorites among the classic die hard Jeeper. These are similar to the YJ kit yet include extra hardware, allowing the use of 2.5" wide springs up front. Whether you are out running tight technical trails, or just cruising the back country with the family, this is the best suspension system money can buy for a CJ. Kit yields plenty of wheel travel. Best lift for your money for the CJ.

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review

Marwis
Marwis's Reviews
06-29-2014, 01:48 AM
Price: $1,340.91
Pros: Quality pasts. Complete kit.
Cons: Requires additional modifications.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Good quality parts. However, installing a 4.5" lift on a CJ5 requires additional modification. When installing rear springs I found that the RE springs were 3.5" shorter in length from spring eye to spring eye compared to the stock CJ5 springs. The problem was that the shackles were tipped forward to the point that I didn't feel they would cam over to the rear as needed. I felt with the angle of the shackles they very possibly would cam up to the fram and become locked. RE offered to trade me rear YJ springs that would be longer. I opted to keep the springs and move the rear shackle hangers forward. This required I do some welding modifications to the hanger inorder to relocate forward. Once completed the shackles are in the correct position. RE sends shims in the kit to correct rear driveshaft angle. However, with shims installed my shaft was sitting at 34 degrees with the suspension under load. This angle is much to steep. I then removed the axle and repositioned the spring perches (re-clocked the axle) in order to bring the pinion to 18 degrees. This allowed for a custom CV drive shaft. The drive shaft angle problem may not be a problem on CJ7s due to the CJ7s having a longer wheel base. I would only recommend this lift kit to those willing to make the necessary medifications needed for use on a CJ5.

OldTexas

OldTexas's Reviews

05-30-2013, 08:18 PM
Price: $1,200.00
Pros: rides sweet
Cons: Jes one big sticker. Needed two!
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Installed the whole thing by myself in a weekend without air tools. Everything was provided that I needed. I did have to get a custom driveshaft a couple of months later to stop some vibration. 35x14.50x15 tires clear no sweat. It actually rides better now than before. If you are considering a 4" lift..this is it. Don't even think about anything else.
And if anyone from Rubicon Express reads this I want another big sticker!

OldTexas

OldTexas's Reviews

12-27-2012, 12:54 AM
Price: $1,288.00
Pros: * Excellent instructions * Everything you need in kit * Straightforward installation * Fantastic ride
Cons: * 2 degree shims weren't enough * Needed to upgrade to CV shaft on rear
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Be sure to install shims, 4 degree stell if you can find them, to ajust the front caster when you do the initial install. If you don't you be all over the highway and if you have low tire pressure, in both ditches.

The kit is fantastic, you will need longer shocks and most likely a CV driveshaft for the rear. I got the Rubicon Express Monotube shocks free with the lift kit from GroupBuy. Tom Woods got me the driveshaft in three days.

The ride is wonderful, no sagging, offroad flex is unbelievable. From the horror stories I have heard about rough riding and sage from other lift kits, THIS is the way to go.

LuckyStrike
LuckyStrike's Reviews
09-23-2012, 11:42 AM
Price: $1,100.00
Pros: Amazing ride.
Cons: Shims are garbage, I'm already having to replace them.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Great lift! I had a buddy help me install it with a shackle reversal and it rides like my buddies Rubicon. I'm not currently running with a spare tire or heavy duty bumpers so without the extra weight the lift sat at almost 6 in, but we took out a leaf from the rear springs and it leveled out perfectly.

mtbtweety

mtbtweety's Reviews
03-04-2010, 10:33 PM
Price: $1,000.00
Pros: Very smooth compared to the previous lift
Cons: it's damn expensive....but worth it.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Kit went on easily, and the hardware was beefy. very nice kit.

21usmc47
21usmc47's Reviews
12-25-2009, 08:20 PM
Pros: Easy to follow instuctions and as complete as I needed.
Cons: None thus far
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Just installed. Went on easy enough with all parts that you could think of. Rides like a dream so far.

cescj85
cescj85's Reviews
12-10-2009, 03:29 PM
Price: $1,300.00
Pros: Complete Kit w brake lines pitman arm ect. (No Shocks)
Cons: Price
Recommended? Yes

Comments: This Lift may be expensive but as most things you pay for what you get... My jeep in NOT a street pounder It spends the majority of its life offroad and I needed a lift that reflected that. I got it. This lift has been put through its paces and has held up well maybe better than it should. The wheel travel is great and the ride is decent enough at speed.

patcj7
patcj7's Reviews

01-15-2009, 11:46 AM
Price: $1,000.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Great stuff, high quality, easy to install, very complete with all the bushing, brake line, drop pitman arm, etc...

CJ7Rubicon

CJ7Rubicon's Reviews

09-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Rides alot better than worn flat stock springs.Not a caddillac,but has some ride to it before jarring you.

84jeepjohn
84jeepjohn's Reviews

06-02-2008, 08:26 AM
Price: $1,100.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Love the kit. It comes with EVERYTHING (except shocks now)

I honestly needed NOTHING except for a new front DS (rear still works with the tcase drop)

redtred
redtred's Reviews

05-03-2008, 10:32 AM
Recommended? Yes

Comments: .................................................. .................................................. ...........

Fatman

Fatman's Reviews

03-24-2008, 08:50 PM
Price: $9.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: good

nightcj84
nightcj84's Reviews

03-12-2008, 07:25 PM
Recommended? Yes

Comments: nice lift came with everything needed nothing extra to have to buy

OldSailor
OldSailor's Reviews
09-23-2007, 04:55 AM
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I just read your review of the 4.5" RE lift kit. Like you did initially, I currently have a 4" ProComp lift kit --it's been on about 8 years. Still rides rougher than a cob in town -- not too bad off road when going slow. And I'm not very satisfied about the travel.

I have a question about the springs in the RE kit. From reading the description, it sounds like the front ones are the same width as the wider YJ springs, rather than the narrower CJ springs. How do you like them? Did the kit include the wider shackles and shackle mounts for them?

thanks for your time.

Baloo

Go Tigers!
Baloo's Reviews

11-06-2006, 01:12 PM
Price: $953.95
Pros: Great ride/flex, quality parts, conversion to YJ 2.5" wide front springs, most complete kit
Cons: The included shims are worthless (get steel shims instead)
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I bought my CJ-7 about 5-6 years ago. Within the first month of owning the Jeep I bought and installed a ProComp lift. I unfortunately didn't read much into lifts before making my 4" ProComp purchase and that was my fault. Having driven my Jeep on ProComp spings for so long I became used to a brutal ride and accepted it as "normal for a lifted Jeep." Well, I was definately wrong. Thanks to this forum and the input from others running the RE5525 kit I made the decision to swap suspensions. I did the swap from ProComp to RE this past weekend. On the first drive around the neighborhood I realized what I have been missing. It REALLY rode great! It's bad when brand new springs ride better than 5 year old broken in springs. I even had greasable shackles/main eyes and DT5000 shocks with the ProComps.

The kit probably took me a total of 10 hours off and on this past weekend. I was working by myself though, and taking a lot of refreshment breaks and watching football. With two people, sober, it shouldn't take that long. Everything bolted right up. There were no issues with parts not lining up or missing parts. Everything is beefy and appears to be high quality.

I have no complaints other than the shims that are included. They are aluminum and worthless. Go ahead and throw them in the trash immediately. In my case, I got 8 degree steel shims for the rear and 4 degree steel shims for the front. It seems to have worked out perfectly with my rear CV driveshaft. I have no vibrations what so ever.

I highly recommend this product.