Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Suspension > Complete Lift Kits > Rough Country 3" Full Leaf XJ Lift Kit

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Rough Country 3" Full Leaf XJ Lift Kit Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Complete Lift Kits Next Product

Rough Country 3" Full Leaf XJ Lift Kit

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $610.00
Average Price: $495.75
Manufacturer: Rough Country
Recommended?
Yes: 24 / No: 0

3" Suspension Kit: Includes Front coil springs, 4 RC Hydro 8000 series shocks, and rear add-a-leafs or you can upgrade to NEW rear leaf springs.

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review
Page 1 of 2 1 2 > Last

ThreeperJeep

Three Percenter
ThreeperJeep's Reviews
08-10-2014, 07:35 PM
Price: $609.00
Pros: Ease of installation Handling and performance
Cons: Vibration felt at 30 mph and at 70 mph
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Before you purchase any suspension lift or system online, it is important to first understand what your end goals are for the vehicle you are going to install it on. Secondly, it is important to understand your individual skills and limitations (whether it be tools, knowledge, or access to equipment/friends with equipment). Lastly, it is important to get some tribal knowledge off the forums, reviews, and things your friends know. Once you have these three critical elements in mind, then you are ready to proceed.

Bearing that in mind, the ideal lift for me was this Rough Country Series II full leaf system with lower control arms. Why spring for the lower control arms? Well, it seems to me that they help with keeping the axle centered properly, especially when lifted more than 2". Since I do not plan on taking the Jeep any higher in the foreseeable future, going with these fixed control arms seemed to be the prudent decision for me. Again, your mileage may vary, and you need to identify the use of your Jeep before you make that call.

Replacing leaf packs, instead of going for add-a-leaf kits (AAL), is the proper way to go about lifting any vehicle - not just a Jeep. In my case, throwing an AAL between my saggy and worn out leaf springs would result in the lift not being the proper height in the beginning, and I'd have to replace the entire leaf pack in the near future anyway because of the excessive strain placed on the AAL would flatten it.

Getting to the meat and potatoes, you'll want to be sure to spray every fastener with PB Blaster and let it soak for a couple days before you try to break stuff loose. For the rear leaf springs, it took two days worth of spraying and soaking before the front bolts would even budge. If you can use a torch, go ahead, but for me, nothing worked better than PB Blaster, a long Snap-On 1/2" drive ratchet, and patience; not to mention a bowl of Wheaties the morning I started wrenching on them. When I say patience, I mean it. I read horror stories of people busting the weld nut on the frame and having to cut it out, put a new nut in there, and weld the pocket back together. For my money, I'll take the time and be patient. If all else fails, you may have to resort to some odd solutions, but that's on you and your Jeep.

Test Driving: Initially, the ride was very stiff, and some drive line vibration was felt at 30 mph and again at 70 mph, but it's not bad. I do plan on installing a SYE kit in the future to get rid of all vibration. I could just do a t-case drop, but considering I plan on towing a small trailer for camping, I want a better solution than that. After a couple weeks of driving, it seems to have settled down some. All fasteners have been re-torqued, and the vehicle has been used in two camping trips since the installation without any trouble.

Here's some things I've noticed since installation (Your mileage may vary):

The track bar is not aligned properly. If it was, there would be no need to use a ratchet strap to position it. That said, it's only off about 1/4" side to side, so I'll manage until I get an adjustable track bar.

Rear drive shaft vibration at 30 mph and 70 mph. It's noticeable, but not bad. When the Jeep is loaded down with camping gear, there is no vibration. That's probably due to the fact that when it is loaded down, the Jeep loses 1.5" of height, as measured from the bottom of the rear wheel well. Yeah, we don't pack light at all.

Handling is firm and authoritative. What do I mean by that? I mean it is relatively stiff and doesn't sway around on the uneven and often pothole-stricken roads of Utah. There is no oscillation that occurs from excessive swaying back and forth. When loaded down, the ridge gets softer, but not spongy. The Jeep handles well at high speed as well as on dirt roads and washboard ruts.

Steering wheel alignment is centered still. There doesn't seem to be any alignment issues. Toe-in measurement hasn't changed. The Jeep doesn't wander around at all. However, I plan on installing a steering box brace since the extra leverage from the increased altitude will eventually cause wear. Yes, even at 3", you can wear out components faster.

Braking is actually better. Now, this is going to come into play differently for different vehicles. Because my old suspension was completely shot, the Jeep would take a nose dive when braking. Forget a panic stop! I actually think the rear tires were coming off the ground. With this lift making my suspension stiffer, the vehicle does not nose dive anymore when braking. During panic stops, I'm not going side to side, or having to compensate with my steering wheel to keep the XJ going forward. Of course, having ABS helps in that department as well.

Price: So what's the deal on price. Well, looking at what this lift is, what it consists of, and what benefits I've gleaned off it so far, I'd say the price you pay for this particular lift is right in the middle of the range. That is to say, it's not too high priced, but it's not the lowest price either. But determining what a fair price is going to be will be up to you, your Jeep, its needs, and what your intentions are. For example, a Rough Country 4.5" long arm kit is more than double the price of this kit. So you tell me. Is it worth it? Well that's for you to decide. Will I need all the capability that the 4.5" kit gives? Probably not. And at over $600 more, that's a big probably not.

So overall, for the needs of a Jeep that requires a modest altitude adjustment, this kit is an excellent kit to buy. It's easy enough to install with a good set of garage tools by any competent mechanic or enthusiast, and the price won't break the bank. I love the look it gives my Jeep, and I love that it made living with the Jeep a lot better.

-ThreeperJeep

400excherokee
400excherokee's Reviews
03-05-2014, 08:42 PM
Price: $610.00
Pros: Very good quality easy instructions.
Cons: The shocks aren't the best rough ride
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Very easy install instructions where straight toward nice lift

Agility

Agility's Reviews
07-14-2013, 10:12 AM
Price: $600.00
Pros: cheap, included shocks and full leaf pack
Cons: rough ride
Recommended? Yes

Comments: It's a rough ride. I'll be adding a shackle relocation kit or leaf spring sliders to soften it up. Can't speak to the quality of the N2.0 shocks since my stock ones were shot. I imagine I'll upgrade whenever the money allows and then I'll be able to judge how they were performing.

mikerezni
mikerezni's Reviews
03-30-2013, 01:40 AM
Price: $609.95
Pros: gives that extra height at a good price
Cons: can be a pain to install with rusty bolts
Recommended? Yes

Comments: i wanted something that would get my truck off the ground, and to give me a greater clearance for some beefier tires. this lift worked great for my needs. couldnt be happier, ride is a lot stiffer than stock but what do you expect. overall, i'm really happy i had purchased this

XJDAD
XJDAD's Reviews

01-02-2013, 03:40 PM
Price: $579.00
Pros: Good quality components. Well packaged. Shipped quickly.
Cons: No new hardware. RC - add $20 bucks to the kit cost and supply fasteners OK? Also, be real about the labor hours.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: We just finished doing my son's XJ lift over the holidays. Though I'm not a mechanic, I have spent hundreds of hours working on my cars and friends cars over the last thirty years. I have all of the tools that I needed to complete the lift installation except a hydraulic rack to lift the Jeep up six feet and a 1/2" 200lb. impact wrench to remove the fasteners on the OE leaf springs and lower control arms. I managed to do it with a 24" breaker bar and electric impact but just barely.
Despite the ridiculous video on YouTube showing two RC mooks doing the add a leaf version of this job in SIX MINUTES, plan on three or four days. You will break the upper front shock bolts off no matter how much PB you blast in there and that evolution will set you back hours if you don't have an air chisel. You will need to google "upper shock bolt replacement" to find some ingenious techniques to replace these fasteners.
You will need spring compressors to get the new bigger coils in the front unless you remove the track bar.
You will break the front sway bar links if you follow the RC directions. (Note that in the video they did not remove them but in the written instructions they did.) The bolts snap and you will buy new links. Moog makes OK ones. Get a new set of sway bar bushings while you're at it.
If you have a Chrysler 8.25 rear axle, the u-bolts supplied won't fit. I had to source some 3 1/8" ones on a Sunday to complete the job. Got lucky at Pep Boys.
Enough complaining - it's a great kit with quality components and the XJ rides great now and will have 31" tires on it next week. Just be wary that the job is going to take closer to six days than six minutes and you'll be more prepared. If you have a friend with air tools or access to a hobby shop this would be an ideal time to leverage those connections.

gcy24
gcy24's Reviews
08-05-2012, 09:15 AM
Price: $509.00
Pros: rides great, got the lift i wanted, looks good
Cons: i would say none. people say RC rides rough, but i disagree.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: i regret not going higher, but thats just me. other than that i love it. its a good ride. got the lift i was expecting with little settling. plus it was $509 shipped cause the JeepForum discount!

murdock12186

murdock12186's Reviews
02-22-2012, 10:38 AM
Price: $700.00
Pros: ride is great. look is amazing cant wait for the wheeling trail to open near me. very pleased wit the kit . mine came wit nitro shocks
Cons: the company fails to realize that 3-4 hours in a shop is a lie let alone if ur DIY the kit. and i dont know why any company let alone RC wouldnt give all new hardware for EVERYTHING. i would pay extra for them just to save the headache of finding broken bolts. OH AND!!!!!!!!!! if u get this kit know from start is 24+ hours at home wit air and u need for sure a adjustable track bar to center the front no matter what. happy wheeling.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: In all this is a great kit for the DD and weekend warrior in you. if saving money is key but quality is important this is yourkit. know from the start thisis a insanely long and slow job and you need to know where to get your grade 8 bolts from when, cuz you will, break bolts or cut them.when buyin ull see the 'ADD ON" section, get the add ones lol track bar and if need drop t case.u wil get vib wit just what the kit. not bad but some. thanks for leading your ear and good luck

snuffandstuff
snuffandstuff's Reviews
10-24-2011, 11:49 AM
Price: $425.00
Pros: Cheap, looks good, fits 31s perfect
Cons: none
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Really good starter lift kit. Includes everything that is needed except t-case drop. doesnt require trimming to fit 31s. ride is still pretty smooth.

CherokeeInn
CherokeeInn's Reviews
01-04-2011, 07:30 PM
Price: $509.00
Pros: Works good and looks nice.
Cons: Run into unexpected problems
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I got driveline vibration from the transfer case.

dixiedooly
dixiedooly's Reviews
11-30-2010, 05:16 PM
Price: $295.00
Pros: advanced ground clearance
Cons: the only con is that I wish I would have gone with a 4'' lift!
Recommended? Yes

Comments: excellent product. installation not too difficult. If I would go back though, I would have gotten the 4 inch lift kit.

cherokeecrazy93
cherokeecrazy93's Reviews
08-13-2010, 01:55 PM
Price: $231.00
Pros: awesome
Cons: none
Recommended? Yes

Comments: its great?

scorpyrox
scorpyrox's Reviews
06-12-2010, 08:53 PM
Price: $560.00
Pros: Nice Heavy duty leafs and coils
Cons: shocks made in mexico
Recommended? Yes

Comments: This is a great kit, comes with everything you need to do your lift, pretty good set of instructions but most of it is self explanatory would definitely recommend.

MY99XJ

MY99XJ's Reviews
05-17-2010, 08:02 PM
Price: $600.00
Pros: low cost, pretty good quality
Cons: would have chosen different shocks
Recommended? Yes

Comments: rides a little rough, but mine is still new, and have only seen other older kits, but cannot attest to how mine will hold up.

Eagle327b
Eagle327b's Reviews
04-21-2010, 08:51 AM
Price: $255.90
Pros: Great price for the amount of lift. Very soft suspension.
Cons: Installation sheet would be difficult to use if you are new to wrenching.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: The Rough Country 3" lift kit was extremely affordable for the amount of lift I was looking for. When I ordered on-line I was contacted by the Rough Country staff to ensure my order was correct. There was a miss-hap on the shipping which was not their fault, so for the inconvenience they re-reimbursed my shipping cost. Excellent customer service.
The product was simple to install, and came with all hardware and instructions. The suspension is extremely soft and so far appears to be durable.

DirtyViking

DirtyViking's Reviews
04-20-2010, 07:48 PM
Price: $576.30
Pros: -Easy to install -Simple, effective
Cons: -Installation instructions nonexistent
Recommended? Yes

Comments: The kit came with everything needed to boost your XJ Cherokee 3". I opted to add the performance stabilizer, rear leaf packs (instead of the add-a-leafs), and upgraded to the Nitro 9000 shocks. I highly recommend getting a new stabilizer, since yours will likely be shot, and I also HIGHLY recommend the rear leaf packs instead of the add-a-leafs. It's worth the extra money to not have to mess with the leaf packs.

The instructions for the kit were virtually nonexistent. The only instructions included were for installing the steering stabilizer, and not the kit itself. Luckily the kit is pretty straightforward and easy to install, but it would have been nice to have had some reference material included. The wrong axle u-bolts were sent (Dana 35 instead of the Chrysler 8.25").

Highly recommended for beginners and those looking for a cost-effective lift kit and moderate boost.

betard_foosier
betard_foosier's Reviews
02-23-2010, 11:30 PM
Price: $650.00
Pros: Easy to install, full packs are the bomb
Cons: Fixed LCAs are too long, gave me 10 degrees positive caster
Recommended? Yes

Comments: This kit went in well for the most part. As far as the LCAs go, they are too long for this size lift and gave me 10 degrees positive caster. Also did not come with new hardware, except U-bolts.

88xj90xj
88xj90xj's Reviews
02-22-2010, 02:11 AM
Price: $255.00
Pros: Great clearance on the average trail. great in rutted trails and on hill climbs.
Cons: Not best for crawling.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: If your looking on just throwing a little lift on your truck for a good Saturday ride on the trail and to set the look of you Jeep off or if you like me and kinda have a tight budget, this is an excellent product. i would recommend it to anyone of those desires. But if you the one thats looking for doing more of the extreme trail riding the I would recommend going 4.5 inches or bigger, and definitely look in to a long arm suspension.

AustinTexasXJ

I break Things
AustinTexasXJ's Reviews

04-03-2009, 12:43 AM
Price: $498.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Okay I was pretty happy. but my shocks got delivered the day after all my other stuff.

oh and also it didnt come with new U bolts and had to go buy some.

Zackqb2
Zackqb2's Reviews

03-15-2009, 11:31 PM
Price: $610.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Looks good and was an easy install,and I would recommend this lift to other Jeepers!!!

chedisme
chedisme's Reviews

11-12-2008, 03:12 PM
Price: $500.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I think its great! firm enough for the streets, soft enough for the trails. flexes good. great customer service! cheap!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 > Last