Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Suspension > Shocks > Rubicon Express Monotube

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Rubicon Express Monotube Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Shocks Next Product

Rubicon Express Monotube

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $320.00
Average Price: $219.99
Manufacturer: Rubicon Express
Recommended?
Yes: 41 / No: 5

Rubicon Manufacturing's Extreme Duty mono-tube shock for Jeeps and full-size trucks are developed and tuned specifically for each application to deliver maximum control while not comprimising ride quality, high speed stability and comfort for those extended trips over the toughest terrain

Specifically calibrated and tested for each vehicle
Mono-tube design provides excellent heat dissipation resulting in dependable performance under all conditions
Large 46mm sintered metal velocity-sensitive piston for more consistent performance
Nitro steel piston rods, won't chip or peel like chrome rods
Viton seal and low friction piston rod bearing for long life
Available with remote reservoir
Fully serviceable, tunable
Polyurethane bushings are more responsive
Durable powder coated finish resists scratches
Robotic welds for greater consistencey
Manufactured in the USA with a lifetime warranty

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 > Last

cheftrail

cheftrail's Reviews

01-25-2013, 11:54 PM
Price: $250.00
Pros: nice ride, good travel, gray instead of yellow or red.
Cons: one leaked, and the boot would not stay on.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Got mine before they moved to China!

switters88

switters88's Reviews
01-23-2013, 03:39 PM
Price: $499.00
Pros: Taller and stiffer.
Cons: Pricey for a BB.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: RE 2" spacer lift w/ montubes. I haven't driven it enough to list out major issues but will update when I think about it.

NickJames98TJ
NickJames98TJ's Reviews
07-01-2012, 11:29 PM
Price: $400.00
Pros: very nice ride
Cons: a little noisy
Recommended? Yes

Comments: jeep rides very nice best shocks i ever bought

GDTIME

GDTIME's Reviews

04-11-2011, 03:00 PM
Price: $100.00
Pros: Decent Ride
Cons: Blow Out
Recommended? No

Comments: I have nothing to really compare to beisdes riding in a few other friends jeeps. Came with my RE 4.5" lift (short arm ) Mainly off road only besides the trip to and from the trails (plenty of highway) They seem a bit stiff to me but its a jeep, Also had one blow out on me after 5,000 miles and was not covered so had to buy a new one.

Don't think I'd buy them again though....

jagates
jagates's Reviews

12-17-2010, 01:22 PM
Price: $200.00
Pros: Look nice
Cons: They don't last
Recommended? No

Comments: RE Monotubes came with the RE 3.5" lift kit I purchased. They function as shocks should but after only 10k miles of normal daily driving all 4 have blown there seals and leaked out most of their oil. I have never done any hardcore wheeling and been off road only a couple times. Vendor told me I could purchase new shocks and send in the old for review to determine if I could get the new ones free. Why would I want another set of these junk shocks? No Thanks.

rcharlier

rcharlier's Reviews
09-07-2010, 03:47 PM
Pros: Kit included spring spacers, bumpstop spacers, and four monotube shocks. Ride quality is decent (4,000 miles in).
Cons: Kit did not include new simple bolts for attaching the shocks. Something so simple and cheap would have saved me a trip to the auto parts store.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Kit included spring spacers, bumpstop spacers, and four monotube shocks, and an insane amount of foam popcorn. Dug through the entire box and did not find an expected "hardware bag" with bolts for mounting the shocks. My choice was to reuse the old, rusted bolts, or find a ride to the auto parts store. That was an unanticipated headache.

Ride quality is decent (4,000 miles in).

Compressing the springs to add the spring spacers was easy with two people: somebody stood on the axle to extend it down, and I got the spring over the bumpstop and on it's perch.

Rears installed in less than two hours. Fronts took the rest of the day for two reasons: I couldn't get the front bumpstops off without hours of work, and then I couldn't get the front shocks off without hours of work.

IF I had it to do all over again, I would have spent the extra money and purchased an entire spring replacement kit to get the 2" of lift that I wanted. Spring spacers are fine, but it took a ton of work to install them. I think slipping in new, longer springs would have been infinitely easier.

SoonerYJ

SoonerYJ's Reviews

06-05-2010, 06:16 PM
Price: $350.00
Pros: Price
Cons: None
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Very nice build quality, they look absolutely awesome compared to the stock Rubicon shocks I removed.
I read reviews for a week trying to decide on what shocks to get and these just made sense for the money and quality that RE normally has in their products.

The odd thing is I installed the fronts and didn't have time to do the rears until a day later, the fronts rode great with my stock shocks on the rear but when I got the rears on it made it ride really stiff, even with a full tank of fuel its not good.

The rears only have 3" of travel when the suspension is on the ground and this is with my Jeep having a 2" BB, the shocks according to RE are for 2"-3.5", I'd say they should be 2.25"-4.0" because they don't have enough working room at 2".

End result, you need a full 2" or better lift to make the rears work.

covaciflorin
covaciflorin's Reviews
04-21-2010, 08:25 PM
Pros: forr what i need its just perfect, i dont do to much off road, i go mostly on the beach and i need more clearance for bigger tires.
Cons: none
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Its the best price u can get for a real good suspension

amonostereo
amonostereo's Reviews
03-26-2010, 12:14 AM
Price: $150.00
Pros: great ride. I can hardly feel a thing
Cons: not clear sizing charts when buying them
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Only tested the rears. Hard to find which size fits correctly. Great ride quality on and off road.

price was for rears only.

YWU

YWU's Reviews
10-31-2009, 10:27 PM
Price: $265.00
Pros: Improved Ride
Cons: None
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I just installed these so I don't really know how much better they will be. I replaced the factory shocks to get a better ride and eliminate worries of over-extending factory shocks.

D-Rob
D-Rob's Reviews

03-22-2009, 11:07 AM
Rubicon Express Monotube
Price: $250.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: They're shocks...I have nothing to compare them against. I was able to upgrade to Mono's for an xtra $100 by using 4x4groupbuy. Good place to do business.

CalebsXJ

CalebsXJ's Reviews

02-27-2009, 12:42 AM
Rubicon Express Monotube
Price: $160.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Excellent product! Way better then stock ride... If your in the market for shocks don't go cheap, you will regret the harsh ride...Monotubes in general are awesome because you can mount them upside down

warthog2
warthog2's Reviews

02-10-2009, 11:13 AM
Rubicon Express Monotube
Price: $100.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Seem to work good. I have had no problems on or off road. I drive trails and some 4+ rock crawling

soundersfc
soundersfc's Reviews

01-16-2009, 02:56 PM
Rubicon Express Monotube
Pros: Stiff but comfortable ride
Cons: No decals
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I love these shocks. I bought mine for a 4inch lift and they respond well to wheeling over rocks and just driving on the road. They didn't come with stickers for the shock though. I e-mailed the company and they are sending me some stickers in the mail! quick response. Gotta love RE!

Cruisers

Cruisers's Reviews

01-12-2009, 03:57 PM
Rubicon Express Monotube
Price: $299.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Really helped suspend the Jeep as it was sagging, especially in the back. I jumped a dune with our whole family of four in the Jeep and it really saved the Jeep and our arses! Install time was about two hours, but then I'm slow, and I was adding some Warrior brand u-bolt skid plates at the same time.

JBWood05TJ

Cut to Fit-Paint to Match
JBWood05TJ's Reviews

11-29-2008, 03:01 PM
Rubicon Express Monotube
Cons: Blow-outs
Recommended? No

Comments: I got these with my RE lift kit. I blew out the rear passenger and replaced it last spring. Then a month ago, I blew both rear out coming off a rock ledge - not even that big of a hit. Weak. I'm done with RE shocks.

aaron7
aaron7's Reviews

10-22-2008, 01:36 PM
Rubicon Express Monotube
Price: $294.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: No complaints! Great ride on and off road. Installation was... well, the same as any other shock. No problems with fitment. Price I put included shipping.

tdogg55555

tdogg55555's Reviews

09-07-2008, 11:33 PM
Rubicon Express Monotube
Price: $150.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: The ride is very smooth. Performs good offroad, great looking shocking, still havnt figured out why they are supposed to be mounted upside down.

Osgood
Osgood's Reviews

08-28-2008, 08:30 AM
Rubicon Express Monotube
Price: $120.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Good shock for the money. They came with the budget boost kit that I purchased off of ebay, and while they are better than the stock shock with the Jeep lifted, my ultimate goal is to install a set of Rancho ES 9000 adjustables. $$$$$$$ though!

SEZARO21
SEZARO21's Reviews

08-27-2008, 10:33 PM
Rubicon Express Monotube
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Decent shocks but not the best. They work and and get the job done. I had a set of Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks and those were really smooth.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 > Last