17K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Markmontana 
#1 ·
Product Information
Price $170
Rating 4
Average Price $91.25
Manufacturer KYB
Recommended Yes: 7 / No: 1

GR-2 gas shock absorbers, strut cartridges and complete struts are affordably priced, twin tube designs that blend a smooth ride quality with enhanced road control. A low-pressure gas charge and patented check valve minimize foaming and aeration to help make sure the ride stays consistent, even under rough conditions.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Price $80
Rating 5
Pros Amazing Performance Improvement. Handles better than new. Looks cool! Instructions were easy to follow. Much higher quality than Stock.
Cons Colour is not as posted. It is silver/metallic and red, no white. Not a big deal!
Recommended yes

Comments: I just put the KYB Monomax on my 2005 Jeep TJ Unlimited.
Amazing difference. They keep the ride height level when loaded in the rear.
They are Stiffer, much stiffer, but a nice difference under most driving conditions.
The reason for replacement was bottoming out with the old shocks, and when bumps hit only one one side, the Jeep rocked
right to left a lot, jossling the passengers and gear A LOT. Now it rides more like a pick-up in terms of ride stiffness and
load capability. Cornering is much more level, nose dive is significantly reduced and the truck actually sits higher by about
a half inch on the front, and 1 inch in the rear. Not sure why, perhaps they are stiff enough that they are holding some weight.
The KYB look cool, they are an orange-red colour with stickers for them if you like. They have a larger diamater, but that doesn't
interfere with the setup at all. They have numerous parts and features that are significantly higher quality than the stock
twin tubes that i removed. My original shocks had 100,000 on them and when removed, i could flex and extend them with one hand.
The new Monomax took two people to compress them. The installation was very easy and they fit perfect.
I have had them for 3000 kms so far and love them. The ride is rough now as in stiff, but it was always rough and
the suspension bottoming out was becoming a problem. We are skiers and cottagers and with the gear we haul often, the higher
quality monotube shock is making a big difference. That is my two sense, hope it helps!

#6 ·
Price $48
Rating 5
Pros See Review
Cons See Review
Recommended yes

Comments: I bought KYB, but the Monomax, not the GR-2.

I just put the KYB Monomax on my 2005 Jeep TJ Unlimited.
Amazing difference. They keep the ride height level when loaded in the rear.
They are Stiffer, much stiffer, but a nice difference under most driving conditions.
The reason for replacement was bottoming out with the old shocks, and when bumps hit only one one side, the Jeep rocked
right to left a lot, jossling the passengers and gear A LOT. Now it rides more like a pick-up in terms of ride stiffness and
load capability. Cornering is much more level, nose dive is significantly reduced and the truck actually sits higher by about
a half inch on the front, and 1 inch in the rear. Not sure why, perhaps they are stiff enough that they are holding some weight.
The KYB look cool, they are an orange-red colour with stickers for them if you like. They have a larger diamater, but that doesn't
interfere with the setup at all. They have numerous parts and features that are significantly higher quality than the stock
twin tubes that i removed. My original shocks had 100,000 on them and when removed, i could flex and extend them with one hand.
The new Monomax took two people to compress them. The installation was very easy and they fit perfect.
I have had them for 3000 kms so far and love them. The ride is rough now as in stiff, but it was always rough and
the suspension bottoming out was becoming a problem. We are skiers and cottagers and with the gear we haul often, the higher
quality monotube shock is making a big difference. That is my two sense, hope it helps!

#8 ·
Price $60
Rating 2
Pros High Pressure
Cons Too stiff will jolt and bang on every bump unless you are fully loaded
Recommended no

Comments: I bought KYB, but the Monomax, too stiff, the KYB site says "The right choice for hauling, towing, or plowing, it may be, but for a daily driver, no way! If you live in the back woods, and spend 90% of your driving time off road yea maybe. These transmit every bump and deviation right through the cab, rattling the dash. 260PSI??? Too stiff, find something similar to stock or better yet go OEM.:thumbdown:

Attachments

#9 ·
Price $105
Pros low cost OEM shock
Cons none
Recommended yes

Comments: I wanted to replace the OEM shocks at the lowest price with slightly better performance. I found these for $26 each and feel they are as good as any at that price level.
That said- with all the work to get the old ones out- I should have put in a higher grade of a shock.
But I am happy with the ride improvement- but have not taken them off road yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.