Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Suspension > Shocks > Bilstein HD

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery MountsDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Bilstein HD Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Shocks Next Product

Bilstein HD

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $320.00
Average Price: $221.31
Manufacturer: Bilstein
Recommended?
Yes: 34 / No: 0

The 5100 Series offers traditional Bilstein technology with applications for lifted trucks, Jeeps and prerunners. The 5100 Series shock absorbers are designed for specific manufactured lift kits utilizing the stock O.E.M. mounting configuration. 5100 Series shocks feature Bilstein's superior single tube high gas pressure design for the upmost in consistent fade-free performance and long life. Bilstein's patented Digressive self-adjusting valving delivers improved damping control and a smooth ride on all road surfaces at any speed.

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review
Page 1 of 2 1 2 > Last

kjmccar
kjmccar's Reviews
07-31-2014, 02:38 AM
Price: $292.00
Pros: Good control, look nice, 2" longer than stock
Cons: A bit stiff, more expensive than most shocks
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I recently installed my Bilstein HDs, and haven't even taken them off road yet. On road the handling is noticeably better, and I am looking forward to adding 2" to my Jeep now that I have the option.

FlornFlarnowitz
FlornFlarnowitz's Reviews

07-16-2013, 10:20 AM
Price: $70.99
Pros: Made by Bilstein... What else do you need to know?
Cons: Move along, nothing to see here
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I replaced shotso KYB rear shocks with Bilsteins. Although my Upper Rear Control Arm bushings are almost non-existent, it is hard to tell the difference. But the difference is still there. I'm wondering what kind of Coil Springs to install now. Tomorrow is install day for the rear upper and lower control arms and ball joint so I will have a 100% better understanding of the difference. Stock crappy 9/16" sway bar but I did chrow on some Energy Suspension poly bushings. Even that made a difference but next for the rear will be an Addco 1" Sway Bar and maybe Eibach Lowering Springs (message me and let me know what you think of those springs - I'm not into lifting it higher or off-roading. I want a little lower center of gravity). Same goes for the front. Soon. Hopefully.

EDIT: Go Buy BILSTEINS!!!!!

MKWrangler
MKWrangler's Reviews
04-18-2013, 05:05 PM
Price: $76.99
Pros: Easy install, lifetime warranty
Cons: none
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Purchased as a stock replacement and they work with the Teraflex 1.5" coil leveling kit.

04Overland47

04Overland47's Reviews

03-19-2013, 04:28 PM
Price: $260.00
Pros: Controlled ride, great quality, stiffer than stock but in a good way
Cons: None really
Recommended? Yes

Comments: My WJ feels a lot more controlled over bumps and imperfections in the road. The ride and handling difference between the Bilsteins and stock are night and day. The ride is a bit more firm, but in a positive way. Takes bumps like a champ on the highway too. Highly recommended!

Evil_98_ZJ
Evil_98_ZJ's Reviews
10-31-2012, 06:35 PM
Price: $227.00
Pros: Great shocks for the money
Cons: None really. Why buy anything else?
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Purchased from Summit Racing after having them price match, got them literally 25 hours later. Installation was pretty straightforward. One of the best shocks you can get for your money.

johnridesjeeps

johnridesjeeps's Reviews
05-10-2012, 07:53 PM
Price: $250.00
Pros: Excellent handling and very responsive.
Cons: Can be stiff for people ( not this guy though). Also not direct bolt on. Metal sleeve needs to be ground a little to fit.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Amazing shocks. Handle great on the road and offer an excellent ride. You can feel the bumps alittle more with the stiffness of the shocks. But the zj feels safer now. Not like a brick on jello

Jomphe
Jomphe's Reviews
03-22-2012, 09:57 PM
Price: $90.00
Pros: Huge difference over stock.
Cons: none so far.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Worthy investment.

Komet
Komet's Reviews
02-29-2012, 01:46 AM
Price: $4.00
Pros: Excellent ride quality
Cons: Spendy to buy new, only good for stock height.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Got these for dirt cheap at a junkyard, and they are so very much nicer than the rock hard Mountain Ryder IIs they replaced. The softness means a little more body roll in the corners, but who drives a Jeep fast anyhow?

johnboy_24
johnboy_24's Reviews
12-19-2011, 02:47 PM
Pros: Much firmer ride More control No more "floating" after bumps
Cons: The ride is a little more harsh
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Great upgrade from OEM shocks/struts after lift. Even before putting on lift my WK was floating after hitting bumps above 45mph. This got a little scarry during rain storms. While putting on my RC lift I noticed some serious rust damage on my OEM strut and put the money in a new set of Bilsteins. The ride since then is so much better. The WK holds the road over bumps, does 10x better off-road, and the only downside is you feel the road a bit more on the highway (not much more) but certainly worth the trade off.

Piepenbrok420
Piepenbrok420's Reviews
10-02-2011, 07:52 PM
Price: $340.00
Pros: High quality shocks and struts, price
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Got the front Struts (Bilstein 4600 HD) off Tire Rack for $198 including 2 day shipping, got the rear shocks from 4 Wheel Parts for $140. Very nice shocks and struts, rides amazing.

Thomahawk

JEEP ADDICTED
Thomahawk's Reviews
06-22-2011, 12:01 PM
Pros: exelent shocks great handling, less body roll, less nose dive at hard brake downs, smoother trough pot holes.
Cons: price
Recommended? Yes

Comments: havent really tried them out yet, just mounted them, first impression is really good.

after tried out: exelent shocks great handling, less body roll, less nose dive at hard brake downs, smoother trough pot holes.

jimebeans
jimebeans's Reviews
02-17-2011, 11:52 AM
Price: $238.00
Pros: look good, feel great, very well built, incredible dampening
Cons: they dont install themselves
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Since ive been on the oem shocks for 158k miles. i shopped around for the best performance/valued shocks i could find. these are the ones. go them from shockwarehouse.com for nice price delivered.

Cowgirrl1
Cowgirrl1's Reviews
01-09-2011, 10:13 PM
Price: $400.00
Pros: Smooth even when mudding, excellent handling
Cons: Can't say there are any.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: The shocks are very tight, nothing sloppy on street corners or mud ruts. You're still in touch with the ride, just a bit more comfy.

EquipmentJunkie
EquipmentJunkie's Reviews

12-31-2010, 04:28 PM
Pros: Noticeably smoother & quieter over the Gabriel shocks that were on the TJ when I bought it.
Cons: None yet
Recommended? Yes

Comments: My '98 TJ now has 138K on it and has a stock suspension. When I bought the Jeep 9 months ago, it had some old Gabriel shocks on it. They looked ancient and very rusty. I didn't think that my Jeep drove the way it should. I decided to treat myself to some new shocks and bought the Bilstein HDs after reading the positive reviews here.

The Bilsteins turned my Jeep into a much smoother riding and stable vehicle. The road noise and rattles are much lower, too. I am very impressed.

child9
child9's Reviews
11-24-2010, 09:18 AM
Price: $160.00
Pros: Amazing handling characteristics
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Can't say enough about how much I like these. Guys at the shop just said "get some Bilsteins and be done with it." They were right. Fantastic upgrade for low cost to any street applied vehicle.

child9
child9's Reviews
11-24-2010, 09:16 AM
Price: $40.00
Pros: Vastly improved street handling characteristics
Recommended? Yes

Comments: These shock are fantastic. I was told by several people at my shop to just "get some Bilsteins and be done with it." They were right. It's like having a different vehicle when cornering hard. Can't recommend them enough for any street applied vehicle.

jstand22
jstand22's Reviews
10-06-2010, 12:33 PM
Price: $300.00
Pros: Less body roll, no clunking in front end, much better handling.
Cons: none.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Less body roll, no clunking in front end, much better handling.

parcours
parcours's Reviews
07-07-2010, 12:26 AM
Price: $70.00
Pros: Excellent ride over stock.
Cons: None.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Great shock. I've used Bilstein in all my vehicles for many years with great success. The ride is much firmer over stock yet it's not bouncy.

LeCoq

LeCoq's Reviews
03-03-2010, 01:02 AM
Pros: Better handling, more predictable ride
Cons: little stiffer than stock
Recommended? Yes

Comments: So far so good, they have only been on the car for a few days but I noticed a huge difference in handling and stopping distance. Much better than stock. It feels more like a truck now and less like a station wagon.

tra4689

tra4689's Reviews

03-02-2010, 09:47 PM
Pros: Stiffened up the ride, handles curves very well.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Great shock, the ride improved very much so. Handles the curves along the coast here quite well. Much improved ride.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 > Last