Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Suspension > Shocks > Bilstein 5100 Series

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Bilstein 5100 Series Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Shocks Next Product

Bilstein 5100 Series

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $480.00
Average Price: $273.17
Manufacturer: Bilstein
Recommended?
Yes: 110 / No: 4

Some of the highest quality shocks I have seen. Brushed aluminum casing really adds for a great look and light weight. Extremely smooth ride even with the highest of lifts.

A+

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last

cplacke
cplacke's Reviews
11-28-2012, 04:36 PM
Price: $340.00
Pros: just enough firmness, great stainless steele look
Cons: none
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Smooth and quiet ride compared to the rancho's I replaced. Firm enough to prevent bad body roll, but not ultra stiff. Great shock for the money

DevilDogDoc
DevilDogDoc's Reviews
11-10-2012, 10:39 AM
Price: $1.00
Pros: Great riding shock
Cons: none
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Great riding shock no complaints at all

Zakman

A locked & armored Sport
Zakman's Reviews
10-02-2012, 12:34 PM
Price: $85.00
Pros: Bilstein, direct bolt in upgrade
Cons: none so far
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Great upgrade over the OME shocks as the Bilsteins are a firmer shock. 10" travel perfect for a 4" lift.

tride000

tride000's Reviews
09-16-2012, 11:30 AM
Price: $400.00
Pros: Firm but not harsh ride
Cons: None so far
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Have Less than 1000mi on the new shocks. So far they seem to provide a firm but not harsh ride.

donsjk
donsjk's Reviews
09-01-2012, 05:32 PM
Price: $179.00
Pros: Awesome ride!
Cons: Too new to identify any cons.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I Installed Bilstein 5100s on all 4 corners with of a 3.5" Rubicon Express lift (resulted in 4" of lift on my 2-door Rubi). Originally installed the Bilstein steering dampner too, but the pressurized Bilstein prevented straight and true tracking at highway speeds. I can't speak for non-2012 JKs, but on my 2012 Rubicon, I was unable to effectively access the passenger side front top shock mount without removing the battery, air filter box, and loosening the plastic shelf supporting the battery and fuse box. Some have cut an access hole in the plastic shelf instead, but I preferred to loosen it and move it aside during the install instead. Also, I reused the original OEM rubber insulators on the front top shock mounts instead of the Bilstein provided materials because I felt the OEM parts would provide better insulating properties.

Linus
Linus's Reviews

08-29-2012, 04:54 PM
Price: $299.00
Pros: Well built and great ride quality
Cons: Did not include lower front mounting hardware
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Got these shocks from Kolak on the JeepForum site and he was great to deal with. These shocks are well built and the bushings and bar pins fit perfectly on my 2004 WJ. The rears use the factory hardware from the stock shocks but the front only had the upper mount washers and nuts. The lower mount had the bar pin but you would need to buy (4) 5/16" x 1.5" bolts, (4) 5/16" nuts, and (8) 5/16" washers. Other then that, these shocks ride great and I really am glad I sprung for these instead of cheaper hydro shocks.

SamPsychoWise

SamPsychoWise's Reviews
06-02-2012, 01:32 AM
Price: $99.00
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
Recommended? Yes

Comments: A little stiff at first. But after "broken in" smothed out. Nice ride.

dougmorgan99
dougmorgan99's Reviews
05-24-2012, 09:00 AM
Price: $300.00
Pros: Sweet ride. Literally went from dump truck to Cadillac ride overnight. Have had the Monroe Sensa-Trac and Rough Country set and this is the best set of shocks I have had.
Cons: Not a fan of the rubber shock boots but its growing on me.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I have been looking for some time for a new set of shocks. It came down to Old Man Emu or Bilstiens after weeks of research. I decided to go the OME route since I already had their front steering stabilizer but it appears the rear set was no longer offered for my lift hight... rats! I went with the Bilstiens since I saw Kolak was running a sale on them. I am very pleased when they arrived and having Bilstien's lifetime warranty was a plus! I don't feel the jarring effects I use to on road expansion joints, pot holes or bumps. It is controlled and dampened like it should be. Even the smallest of cracks and rocks I felt on the road with my old shocks. It's a JEEP but you shouldnt feel beat up after riding it on the highway for a long period of time. The valving on these shocks are perfect for my ZJ.

ry1820

ry1820's Reviews
05-10-2012, 03:14 PM
Price: $250.00
Pros: .
Cons: .
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Bought used from a member on here. Very happy with the ride!

Cherokid

Cherokid's Reviews
05-05-2012, 10:51 AM
Price: $5,100.00
Pros: Great ride.
Cons: price
Recommended? No

Comments: Between the shocks and losing the track bars the ride is great as far as the absorbing the bumps. The handling has gone bad though, a little too mushy. I may reinstall the front track bar to bring some of the crispness or confidence back to the handling.

shockracer

14,000' WJ
shockracer's Reviews
05-04-2012, 08:10 PM
Price: $145.00
Pros: Smoother ride!
Cons: None
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Had Rough country's on with the 5" lift and they were "Rough"! Put these on the front only and it was a day and night difference! Far more control of the steering well hit bump on when on the brakes! Buy them for the back now.

billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
billzcat1's Reviews
04-28-2012, 01:12 AM
Price: $310.00
Pros: Smooth ride, excellent ride control on- and off-road, very durable, WJ-specific hardware
Cons: Didn't come with bolts for the front axle
Recommended? Yes

Comments: The Bilstein 5100 shocks are a fantastic product. The ride on- and off-road is good and they allow effortless articulation when needed. They are also very high quality and long lasting. Should one fail they are protected by a limited lifetime warranty. One of the nicest things about them is that the hardware/rear shock bushings are designed to work correctly on the WJ which uses odd-sized rear shock bushings. No clunking like cheap aftermarket shocks!

The only minor issue is that I had to buy bolts for the front bar pins. Not a big deal but you should be aware that they're needed when you start the install.

kade
kade's Reviews
04-23-2012, 10:47 PM
Pros: 1
Cons: 1
Recommended? Yes

Comments: 1

WA_KK
WA_KK's Reviews
04-14-2012, 01:20 PM
Price: $200.00
Pros: Great handling
Cons: Different colors front and rear
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Bilstein 5100 series shocks front and rear. Much better handling over OEM. Stiffer on road, greatly improved off road.

War Pig 0811

War Pig 0811's Reviews
04-13-2012, 05:15 PM
Pros: Smooth as silk over everything.
Cons: Availability, rears back ordered.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: You get what you pay for here. Well worth the money!

VOLSWAGN
VOLSWAGN's Reviews
04-11-2012, 10:44 AM
Price: $369.00
Pros: Increased stability in turns, more solid feel on road
Cons: A little more jarring/bouncy, but worth it
Recommended? Yes

Comments: The 5100's have totally transformed my Jeep. Cornering is much more stable, the Jeep feels more planted overall. I like to feel more of the road, even in a Jeep, so I'd do this again in a heartbeat.

jeepinmichguy_

I haz ah Geep
jeepinmichguy_'s Reviews
03-30-2012, 06:22 PM
Price: $300.00
Pros: Nickel plated, ride is unbelievable.
Cons: They run short, some come with black shock boots, others with baby blue
Recommended? Yes

Comments: We bought these for the wife's rig along with some JJ control arms and WOW what a difference in the ride of the Jeep. These shocks dampen well and it is the best riding Wrangler I have been in now. Call a vendor and take measurements to find the right length shock for you because they run short compared to most other brands. The main issue I had was we actually were going to run them with the boots on and the fronts came with black boots while the rears came with an ugly *** baby blue. When we contacted the vendor he had no way of telling which they came with (this wasn't the first time he had seen it and there is no way for him to pick a boot color). Most people seem to run them without boots anyway so for most this will be a non-issue. We are just running the boots up front and no boots in the rear. I give these shocks an A!!!

otherwisebusy

otherwisebusy's Reviews
03-21-2012, 10:33 AM
Price: $450.00
Pros: Wow, what a ride. Controlls bumps and makes for a firm ride. Easy to install
Cons: Not sure yet.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Install was easy once we got the old ones out. THe ride is crisp and firm.

Davf24
Davf24's Reviews

03-07-2012, 07:51 AM
Price: $367.00
Pros: Sleek, shiny, black boots
Cons: ????? non that I can think of
Recommended? Yes

Comments: OK, so I did read many of the reviews here and bit the bullet and bought the 5100's and the reason for the purchase was to better my overall ride in my 02 TJ Sahara, WOW what a difference

Know for the issue, CHRYSLER what the were you thinking when you designed the rear upper shock mounts? yes I snapped three (not one) bolts off and had to drill/tap for new bolts, some one needs to be hit really hard for stupid crap like that. A simple 1/2" nut and bolt at the top would have been better, my 79 CJ7 was done right.

theorvs
theorvs's Reviews

02-27-2012, 12:09 PM
Price: $375.00
Pros: Great ride nice finsh worth the money
Cons: None
Recommended? Yes

Comments: 5125 these shocks are the bomb

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last