Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Armor > Roll Cages > OR Fab Sport Cage

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

OR Fab Sport Cage Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Roll Cages Next Product

OR Fab Sport Cage

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $350.00
Average Price: $351.44
Manufacturer: OR Fab
Recommended?
Yes: 17 / No: 2

Finish where the factory left off. Our Interior enclosure is designed to work with the factory soft top or hard top. Why bump your legs or fight to get in the vehicle? Made of (.120) wall tube, this kit is a complete bolt-in, installing in 60 minutes or less. You don't even have to remove the top. Makes a great place to mount add-on accessories such as CB radios, soft grab handles and overhead consoles. It comes in a black powder coat finish. Optional floor mount reinforcement kit available for addition charge.

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review

torkman
torkman's Reviews
05-07-2014, 11:06 PM
Price: $1,000.00
Pros: If you're going to be doing some serious rockin it might just save your life.
Cons: Tight fitting. Limited leg room and head room. Two man job to install. Could use a little more refinement in the design of it. Took a lot of time to install in order to get the front doors to close and the connection points didn't line up or fit correctly in my opinion. But it's the only one that I could find for my ZJ.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Regardless of the cons when you lift one of these 7 in. they get a little top heavy especially with no sway bars on it. But the springs I got from Rusty's do a good job.

IH8PEPL

So glad its not a Fiat
IH8PEPL's Reviews

01-12-2014, 06:22 PM
Price: $300.00
Pros: Well packed by OrFab, affordable, well built, nice clean welds, made in the USA, great powdercoating, looks OEM, offers more protection than factory support bars, welded grab handle, easy to install. Can be upgraded with streamer bars and dash bar at a later time if you like.
Cons: Only real complaint I have is the hardware. Its just big and obvious looking. I will replace it with black torx/allen bolts asap.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Rarely do I find a product that really modivates me to write a review, but OrFab is one of those investments that im really pleased with.

I was mainly in the market for a sport cage that would allow me to drop the windsheild down quickly and look good while doing it. Im not a hardcore rock crawler that needs a 30 point 600lb full cage to tumble off a cliff with. After lots of reading I went with OrFabs sport bar kit. I did it for a few reasons: Its affordable, simple, Made in the USA, very clean looking and well designed. Its also roll over proven (see http://www.stu-offroad.com/guards/sportbar/roll-4.htm).

Got mine from Northridge4x4 using a Xmas gift card that the GF got me. On top of that I got free shipping and a 10% off sale price. Total was $235 shipped .

When it arrived. It was extremely well packed by OrFab. Encased in spray foam. I got winded trying to break it all free. But, that ensures that nothing is banging around in the box during shipping.

I did the install by myself, another person would be helpful, but not a requirement. Instuctions are easy to follow, its not rocket science so you could do it without them. A rubber mallet makes install a lot easier. Just tap the parts together with the mallet. Make sure everything lines up and is spaced out evenly, and tighten it all down. Took me 2 hours to install by myself - taking my sweet time.

Once installed its very solid, looks like it should have been there from the factory and gives me quick access to folding the windshield. Its also a nice step up from the weak OEM windshield supports. The welded grab handles are a huge plus that will get lots of use.

Im 100% satisfied with it and highly recomend it for the average joe Jeeper.

SummerOf95
SummerOf95's Reviews

08-12-2013, 10:58 AM
Price: $330.00
Pros: Great finish and overall looks. Very protective packaging.
Cons: Requires trimming A LOT of plastic. Incredibly tight fit lead to a difficult install.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Product came very well packaged, not a scratch received during shipping. Kind of a pain to unpack. though.

The bars would fit perfectly if they were unfinished. I had to wear the finish off the ends of the tubes to fit them. The tight fit also makes the adjustments very difficult. I'd recommend a ratcheting strap and a heavy hammer.

I'm not sure I trust the mounting points. I know a couple different manufacturers use the same points, but it doesn't seem very secure. The bolts along the dash are really just designed to hold the dash on, not to support the jeep during a roll. The floor kit should probably be considered mandatory.

The instructions show trimming a small amount of plastic from the molding, but in reality it's quite a bit that needs to be hacked off.

Once installed, the kit looks great. I really like the finish.

Remko
Remko's Reviews

01-04-2013, 01:38 PM
Price: $450.00
Pros: easy install
Cons: Sport cage
Recommended? No

Comments: It was easy install, got the front cage, 2 steamers, the windshield bar and floor bars. The only issue I had was one of the windshield brackets was welded incorrectly so I had to cut it and re-weld it. Overall it adds some additional security to the average wheeler.

cplacke
cplacke's Reviews
11-28-2012, 04:19 PM
Pros: Easy install, pre-finished, welded grab handles
Cons: none
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I looked at several sport cage options (RockHard, Smitty, Poison, Etc.) The RockHard and Smitty do not replace the weak connection between the A and B pillars, and the OR Fab did. Easy to install, almost entirely bolt-on (the overhead streamer bars requires 4 holes to be drilled). Welded grab handles near windsheild are a nice feature.

DevilDogDoc
DevilDogDoc's Reviews
11-10-2012, 10:33 AM
Price: $100.00
Pros: Bolted right up as it should
Cons: none that I have seen
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Fine product, bolts right up as it should, looks good, hope I never use it!

liwhittall
liwhittall's Reviews
09-20-2012, 06:51 PM
Price: $340.00
Pros: No Lose of Leg room, grab handles
Cons: Had to move sun visors
Recommended? Yes

Comments: How well a cage attached to the dash will hold up in a roll over can be debated all you want. I saw a video of a TJ taking a spill head over heels 3 times down a rock so it sold me. I don't get brave enough to try anything that might topple the Jeep, but its nice to know its there just in case. Although, the single greatest thing about it is having 'oh crap' handles... something overhead to grab on to.

dmicucci
dmicucci's Reviews
05-13-2011, 06:20 PM
Price: $295.99
Pros: Easy to install, very stout, out of the way and does not interfere with fit or function of vehicle, priced right
Cons: PITA to install by yourself (would be cake with an extra set of hands getting some of the bolts lined up)
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I wouldn't put it in a professional rock crawler or competition rig but it seems like its 1000 fold better than the stock junk. Meant to take one hit, save your melon, then be replaced but I'd rather replace and sport cage than my melon.

chipstill
chipstill's Reviews

03-30-2011, 03:55 PM
Price: $400.00
Pros: Only bolt on but very strong. Saved my life!!!
Cons: None
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Had this sports cage in my 03 Rubicon. I rolled this Jeep two times going 50mph for 100+ feet down 25feet. Would I have had the factory cage, I would not be here today!!! I just got my 2005 Rubicon LJ and ordered my new sports cage. No two Jeeps are the same so you have to fit any parts you put on bet OR Fab is the best. Hope I never have to use this again, but it's watching over me just in case!!!

robert_hollis

robert_hollis's Reviews
01-03-2011, 06:09 PM
Pros: Better than the factory protection. Cool looking. Very handy grab bars.
Cons: Bolt in instead of weld in (both a pro and con, since I suck at welding). Self tapping bolts were worthless. Reused some factory hardware.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I bought this to beef up the protection in my Jeep. I know it's not gonna take a serious roll, and come out in great shape, but I definitely think it's far superior to the factory setup. Installation wasn't too difficult, though cutting the plastic windshield trim got on my nerves. Older TJs don't even have that worthless trim, so lucky them. My windshield and hardtop fit super tight now (before they just plopped together without any issue), but that's not a horrible issue. The self tapping bolts were worthless, and I ended up just tapping the holes myself. Also, drilling straight holes on tubing with a hand drill is kinda tricky.

Over all I like it, and I have the cross bar, and 2 spreader bars installed as well.

edsoto
edsoto's Reviews
09-16-2010, 02:36 PM
Price: $400.00
Pros: floor tie-ins
Cons: didnt come with padding
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Bought it used, easy install

aaonms

aaonms's Reviews
07-09-2010, 01:18 PM
Price: $0.01
Pros: Easy install.
Cons: None so far.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I don't recall the price...
Easy install.
Looks sturdy; hope I never have to load test it.
Also added the overhead streamers and the tie-ins that go to the cab floor.
Approx eight years in and cage finish still looks great.

bomoto
bomoto's Reviews
06-16-2010, 04:01 PM
Pros: looks good
Cons: hopefully none
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I hope I doesnt need it

robert_hollis

robert_hollis's Reviews
04-13-2010, 01:58 AM
Price: $500.00
Pros: Safer than factory cage. Beautiful to look at. Relatively easy to install.
Cons: Poor instructions. Requires some effort to line up all bolt holes. Must cut into factory molding for windshield clearance. Must drill holes for dash bar. Uses grade 5 bolts.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Despite the lack of an update on the website, this sports cage now comes with welded in grab bars, and some bolt on windshield brackets.

I ordered the sport cage with dash bar and spreader bars from 4wd.com, and got them in less than a week. I really like the look and feel of the sport cage.

My only complaints are mostly minor things. Installation wasn't too hard, but the instructions are a bit of a joke. I had to cut away A LOT of plastic molding for the bars to clear the windshield (not that I mind, but the instructions are rather vague in this area). The instructions list no torque specs for the bolts, so I just had to guess. Some of the bars required a bit of muscle and a few taps with a rubber mallet to line up the bolt holes, but they weren't too bad. I had to bend one of the windshield brackets to get it to line up with the cage. The shipping packaging was really well done, with all the bars wrapped in plastic, and some spray foam used to fill all the empty space in the box for padding. I wish they had supplied me with grade 8 bolts, and new bolts for the central roll bar boot (the factory one is a big security torx bolt, and I don't even know where to buy a t50(?) security torx bit, so I had to use vice grips to remove it). I also wish they'd packaged the windshield brackets seperate from the other hardware, as their paint was in bad shape when I got them, and I had to repaint them.

As I said, all of my complaints are relatively minor things which one has to learn to deal with when using pretty much ANY aftermarket (and sometimes even dealer) stuff. The cage is very nice looking, and it feels quite solid once it's all been bolted together.

UCTJ

UCTJ's Reviews
11-29-2009, 04:39 PM
Price: $350.00
Pros: Easy install.
Cons: Doesnt provide true protection.
Recommended? No

Comments: I gave an average since its better than the OEM junk. I got mine as a gift, save yourself time and money get a real cage.

softop
softop's Reviews

03-20-2009, 12:01 AM
OR Fab Sport Cage
Price: $350.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: looks cool not recomended for protection........................................ .................................................

stan_king
stan_king's Reviews

02-17-2009, 01:32 AM
OR Fab Sport Cage
Recommended? Yes

Comments: came installed when I bought Jeep, came installed when I bought Jeep, came installed when I bought Jeep

RCXTREME

RCXTREME's Reviews

05-20-2008, 05:12 PM
OR Fab Sport Cage
Price: $10.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Easy to install, seems to hold up pretty well. I would recommend welding the floor plates and going all the way to the frame with them.

05moabTJ

05moabTJ's Reviews

05-14-2008, 01:02 PM
OR Fab Sport Cage
Recommended? Yes

Comments: extremely strong cage, easy install, a must for real off roaders, highly recommend