Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Armor > Bumpers > Smittybilt Classic Rock Crawler Tire Carrier

Black Friday Sale!!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Smittybilt Classic Rock Crawler Tire Carrier Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Bumpers Next Product

Smittybilt Classic Rock Crawler Tire Carrier

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $375.00
Average Price: $293.27
Manufacturer: Smittybilt
Recommended?
Yes: 19 / No: 1

* 1987-06 Wrangler
* Heavy duty 1/4" steel plate design
* Three point mounting system supports over-sized tires
* Special lock design keeps tire carrier secure while off-roading
* E-coat undercoated with dual stage textured black

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review

Chuck_WeZy
Chuck_WeZy's Reviews
10-18-2012, 10:15 AM
Price: $300.00
Pros: Ease of install and price
Cons: Powder coat isn't the greatest
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Easy install, at most one will have to elongate the holes in the rear cross member to line up all the bolts. I didn't drop the gas tank but it would have made it a lot easier to reach the inner bolts in hindsight. Very solid; jacking and rock contact doesn't phase it as well as no vibrations even at highway speed. Powder coat isn't the strongest but is an easy fix with touch up, rattle can, or just having it re-done in whatever you want.

Joshtjeep
Joshtjeep's Reviews
04-30-2012, 03:45 PM
Price: $200.00
Pros: Strong, durable, looks great.
Cons: Latch makes some noise, moves a little bit.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: This bumper is great and looks good but the latch does move a little and makes some noise but i don't mind at all.

Therosa
Therosa's Reviews
01-12-2012, 01:25 AM
Price: $280.00
Pros: Solid construction, looks great, can mount bike carrier to tire and still get into back without having to unload everything, tow rated.
Cons: Can be noisy, must remove gas tank to install properly.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: After some extensive research I decided on this bumper/tire carrier beacause it is one of the few bumpers that is actually tow rated that would fit into my budget of a lot less than $1000. I can attach my bike carrier and open the back without unloading all the bikes. The construction is much stronger than the stock setup and I don't have to be afraid of the gate hinges getting messed up when I go to a larger tire size. Installation was a peice of cake after dropping the gas tank. It might be possible to install without dropping the gas tank but you would have to have some magical socket swivels to get the inner bolt of the drivers side installed. If you decide to install without dropping the tank I would recommend using a step bit to avoid drilling a hole in your tank.

nwco4x4
nwco4x4's Reviews
01-05-2011, 09:02 PM
Price: $339.00
Pros: Well priced holds a 35" tire
Cons: Rattles fit and finish bad grease zirk for tire carrier hit tail gate hinge and broke right away
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Overall not bad it gets more rattles the longer it's on and the grease zirk broke of the tire carrier hinge the first time I opened it

hotelconucc93

hotelconucc93's Reviews
01-17-2010, 06:26 PM
Price: $299.99
Pros: Looks decent, good price
Cons: has tow mount and chain mounts yet says not rated? Install is best suited no gas tank, no body on jeep
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Install is a pain in the rear and their instructions DO NOT make sense for the hardware and physics of install. See my rebuild thread. Looks decent but not rated for towing. Does not come with adequate hardware for install. For the price however, you get what you pay for and this is a good looking cheap bumper.

yjjeepn92
yjjeepn92's Reviews
09-22-2009, 08:29 PM
Price: $279.00
Pros: fairly easy installation
Cons: drilling required, threads strip very easy.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Some drilling required but pretty straight forward install. can be done with 2 people in about a hour. materials could be better, but it is something you will have to keep tweaking until you get it as close to perfect as possible. wouldnt recomend for a 12.50 tire because im not sure it can handle the weight off road. However, my swingout seems to be holding my 33x12.50 ok, it leans due to a broken part beside the latch, but this can be fixed i believe

MountainGrizz

MountainGrizz's Reviews
07-17-2009, 05:46 PM
Price: $225.00
Pros: cheap price, looks good
Cons: Rattles, sags with a larger tire in time, back bolts impossible to intall with out droping the fuel tank, no add on accessories avalible.
Recommended? No

Comments: I had it on my Jeep for one month before the Rattles started, tire rack starting to sags with a larger tire in time, back bolts impossible to intall with out droping the gas tank, no add on accessories avalible like Safari Rack, Gas Can Holder and HiLift Jack Mount. Price is the cheapest around so you get what you pay for, I wish I got another brand.

Bear215
Bear215's Reviews
05-25-2009, 08:57 PM
Pros: Holds up to a 35" spare
Cons: Time consuming to install
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Works well I have a 33" spare on a 15x10 wheel and it holds it great. The top tube rattles if it's not against the tire.

mario figueroa

mario figueroa's Reviews

03-02-2009, 10:23 PM
Price: $242.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Well built sturdy,and looking good however the intall hardware was not matching and had to soent a few bucks on new bolts.

whitie_08
whitie_08's Reviews

01-28-2009, 10:35 PM
Price: $237.43
Recommended? Yes

Comments: great product for the price. it says it is not tow rated, but my jeep has been yanked out by it no problem. it looks good too. bought it on sale and picked it up at 4wheelparts, savved ~$150

Viperus
Viperus's Reviews

01-06-2009, 02:49 AM
Price: $350.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Quite a pain to install, the screwthread didnt hold on most of the screws, looks great thou.

hoghandler
hoghandler's Reviews

01-05-2009, 06:54 PM
Price: $330.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: love the way it looks, it just holds the spare really high and renders your rear view mirror useless

ckhanna71
ckhanna71's Reviews

12-22-2008, 12:58 PM
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Great foundation for a rebuild. I ripped it apart and modified and only reused the lower bumper and spindle.

BM20
BM20's Reviews

07-30-2008, 06:59 AM
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I am sure its not the best out there but it works for me. Went together fairly easy. The rattle can be fixed by adjusting the existing rubber bumper out about a 1/4" to contact the swing arm.

CO98TJ

CO98TJ's Reviews

07-03-2008, 11:26 AM
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I love it! Great Bumper,hitch receiver,and tire carrier in all! Black Powdercoating looks great and durable as well!

NYTJ
NYTJ's Reviews

06-08-2008, 04:58 AM
Price: $350.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Really easy to install, works great! Good value for the price. Small rattle but fixed it easily by shimming the bumpstop.

stevenmh
stevenmh's Reviews

06-04-2008, 03:45 PM
Recommended? Yes

Comments: came with the bumoer and tire carrier, yet again like the front fabtech its clean and sleek, not bulky and is powder coated. has 2 inch reciever

vtjeepthing
vtjeepthing's Reviews

04-14-2008, 10:54 PM
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Finally an affordable rear carrier.

kb9qdi

kb9qdi's Reviews

04-13-2008, 10:01 PM
Price: $375.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Mine's the tublar bumper but basicly the same. Great product for the $$.

Rocky5

Rocky5's Reviews

04-10-2008, 03:42 AM
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Again great product for the price. nice and simple not over engineered.