Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Armor > Bumpers > Smittybilt Classic Rock Crawler Rear/Tire Carrier Bumper with D-rings by Smittybilt -

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Smittybilt Classic Rock Crawler Rear/Tire Carrier Bumper with D-rings by Smittybilt - Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Bumpers Next Product

Smittybilt Classic Rock Crawler Rear/Tire Carrier Bumper with D-rings by Smittybilt -

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $279.99
Average Price: $300.37
Manufacturer: Smittybilt
Recommended?
Yes: 30 / No: 8

1987-06 Wrangler;2-stage textured black powder coat;E-coat undercoated ;Heavy duty 1/4 steel plate design;Three point mounting system supports over-sized tires;Special lock design keeps tire carrier secure while off-roading

The perfect add-on to your Jeep® when you have oversized tires. Original Jeep® tailgates are unable to support the weight of an oversized tire- especially when you are off road. This bumper mount tire carrier takes the load off the tailgate and puts it on the frame mounted bumper. Each tire carrier incorporates grease fitting to keep the hinge mechanism running smooth. Constructed of the finest materials and Zinc under-coated, Dual Stage durable powder coat painted, this heavy duty off road design is built to last. Will hold up to 35 tire. Available in Textured Black only.

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review
Page 2 of 2 1 2

wakeTJ
wakeTJ's Reviews

03-03-2011, 02:40 PM
Price: $499.00
Pros: Good looking, D-rings included
Cons: After 8 month the post on the bumper for the carrier just decided to break! Poor welding or metal?!?!?
Recommended? No

Comments: Should have paid 300$ more for a better bumper without problems!

Weelz
Weelz's Reviews
01-19-2011, 02:43 PM
Price: $300.00
Pros: Tough as nails. Easy installation. Inexpensive.
Cons: Heavy. Not well packaged/shipped (some minor damage occured to bumper). Instructions kinda sucked. Need 1" body lift to properly mount and use the tire carrier.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Got a good price through Amazon.com. The packaging didn't protect the ends of the bumper very well, so the grease zerk (sp?) had broken off (easily replaced) and the powder coat had been worn off the very ends of the bumper. The installation instructions kinda sucked, but I figured them out. After I drilled the extra mounting holes (template included) the bumper went on relatively easily, but having a friend to help position it for installation helped, because it's quite heavy. I intentionally enlarged the holes I drilled in the bumper frame a bit, and that made inserting the mounting bolts much easier. ***IMPORTANT NOTE***: as mentioned in the "Product Cons" section, you need a 1" body lift to make proper use of the tire carrier; otherwise, the lower hinge on the rear door contacts the carrier when you open the door. All-in-all, this bumper/tire carrier is a good value, despite the issues metioned above.

SHERiFF0880
SHERiFF0880's Reviews

01-10-2011, 03:50 PM
Price: $280.00
Pros: Very durable, mine obviously was an upgraded version. None of the problems normally mentioned... Perfect fit on a '04 TJ Overall, VERY happy with bumper and price!
Cons: Install was easy, except the part about dropping fuel tank. But then again, how important are those x-tra bolt? :)
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Got bumper for a STEAL, on streetsideauto.com... Had a coupon code, and only paid $280 + Free Shipping = $280 TOTAL WITH D-Rings. Install went smooth, up until the part about removing fuel tank. I had installed the 3 bolts on either end, but there were 4 more to install more towards the center of frame. Had to lower fuel tank to get those bolts in, was a pain. Also, made me question just how important those last 4 bolts were... Very happy with bumper, NO rattle, and holds 33" tire very firm. Finish seems peretty durable to me. My version's zerk cleared my tail gate with plenty of room...

nwco4x4
nwco4x4's Reviews
01-05-2011, 08:58 PM
Price: $329.00
Pros: Cheap $329 with the d-rings
Cons: Fit could be better. Rattles Powder coating feels cheap
Recommended? Yes

Comments: So far so good looks and was cheap. Fit could be better grease zirk on tire carrier hinge hit the tailgate hinges and broke off the first time I opened it. It also rattles quite a bit.

thirdeye

thirdeye's Reviews
01-03-2011, 09:51 PM
Price: $300.00
Pros: very solid steel. takes a beating. D-rings. low profile; good departure/approach angles.
Cons: tough install. It rattles a bit.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Solid. hasn't gotten a single dent throughout all the wheeling I've done with it. D-rings and tow hitch. Tire carrier is strong also, but it rattles sometimes. Its not a big deal though.

wrangler1977
wrangler1977's Reviews

08-26-2010, 12:44 AM
Price: $269.00
Pros: Seems well built. Made from 1/4" steel. Plates that bolts screw into to mount bumper are 2, 1/4" plates back to back. Also there are plates to tie the bumper into the main frame. It is a Class III rated bumper.
Cons: I ordered the bumper without d-rings, I had to attach safety chain attachment points. There are two plates that attach the bumper from the main frame to the top of the bumper, the bolts that go into the top of the bumper strip out easy as it is on 1/4 plate there, but I put Nyloc nuts on the inside there.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: For the price you are getting a pretty well made product, that has paid to have the testing required to receive a class III rating. The finish is strong, and good looking. The spare tire carrier is greasable and adjustable. It doesn't flex under the weight of my 33" tire/rim combo. I have no rattles as of yet. Great bumper for a Jeeper on a budget.

Kudos to Smittybuilt

ericson89

ericson89's Reviews
08-08-2010, 09:01 PM
Price: $315.00
Pros: best bang for the buck for a nice bumper/tire carrier. Hinge is welded all the way through. Great for a 33" tire
Cons: almost impossible to install correctly unless you completely drop the gas tank(four hex head bolts). noise with the latch system they implemented.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: for the price it was worth it. for the quality, its on par with the price. Would I buy again, NO. Too noisy.

I highly recommend frame tie-ins with this system if you want to use the 2" receiver or D-rings for recovery.

deerkilla4500
deerkilla4500's Reviews
07-20-2010, 12:04 AM
Price: $450.00
Pros: Strong bumper and holds big tires
Cons: Needs to be greased often and can be a pain to pull out if it hasn't been greased..
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Nice look, gives better clearance, solid construction.. just make sure to grease the joint or it takes a good bit of muscle to pull out

TJamie

TJamie's Reviews
06-14-2010, 12:23 AM
Price: $289.00
Pros: Great price, solidly built
Cons: none yet
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I've been running this bumper for a couple months with no problems. My installation went very smoothly, everything lined up great. I did upgrade the hardware to metric 10.9 from the included 8.8, so I can't comment of the quality of the original bolts.

As a note, it does look as though I'm running an updated version of this bumper. Mine has a closed-in back and a reinforced class III tow hitch rated for 5000 lbs. I also have a 1/4" between the zirk fitting on the swing out and the door hinge, so no clearance issues.

PolarBear83
PolarBear83's Reviews
05-03-2010, 10:39 PM
Price: $320.00
Pros: Looks and Price
Cons: Installation of top bumper support
Recommended? Yes

Comments: This bumper is very well priced and looks to be solidly built. The installation is overall pretty easy but I did twist off a few bolts (did not use any impact). I would reccomend buying a nuts for the top support to make the installation easier, then using the provided locking nuts and double nut the bolts.

provinT13

provinT13's Reviews

04-28-2010, 06:15 PM
Price: $349.99
Pros: Low price, carries tire, fairly easy to install
Cons: Weak welds, cheap hardware, cheap powder coating.
Recommended? No

Comments: I've had my smittybilt rear classic rock bumper with tire carrier on for about a year and a half and have broken 2 of them with only a 33" tire. The first one, the bottom tab that connects to the frame broke off and was really causing the bumper to swing and bounce. I got a replacement one for free within 2 days, so great customer service on their part. That one was fine for a while until the weld on the spindle broke and was causing the tire to lean. I got yet another replacement for free within 2 days, again, great customer service but the bumper has weak welds, cheap hardware. It's great if you just need to carry a spare tire and don't have a ton of $$ to drop, but if I were to do it all over again I would throw my spare in the rear and save up a bit more money to buy a stronger carrier.

asearle
asearle's Reviews
01-19-2010, 07:39 AM
Price: $359.00
Pros: Price, heavy duty, looks great.
Cons: Tire carrier latch rattles a bit without modification.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: A lot of people on here hate Smittybilt for very good reason, but when you're on a budget in this economy, their lower prices are hard to resist. I've been very happy with this bumper.

sracer2005
sracer2005's Reviews
10-06-2009, 03:56 AM
Price: $350.00
Pros: Great bumper strong powder coating
Cons: Poor latch design.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Make a Jeep look great and lets you open up the rear window all the way

LuckRider

Web Wheeler
LuckRider's Reviews
09-03-2009, 05:26 PM
Price: $160.98
Pros: See my real review below
Cons: See Real review below
Recommended? Yes

Comments: See Review Below

Smallz
Smallz's Reviews

03-30-2009, 09:34 PM
Smittybilt Classic Rock Crawler Rear/Tire Carrier Bumper with D-rings by Smittybilt -
Price: $250.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Its solid, Install is a bit of a b!@#$. You have to bend a couple tabs on the body to get some of the brackets in. not too bad if you have the right tools. The finish cloggs some of the inside threads and it needs some tough love.

ayeohellucks
ayeohellucks's Reviews

03-30-2009, 11:30 AM
Price: $275.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Good luck without a body lift. Otherwise a solid bumper. Great deal, how can you pass it up for this price.

Matt Graham

Matt Graham's Reviews

02-09-2009, 08:30 PM
Price: $279.99
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Overall I am very pleased with this bumper. It looks great. Only problem is the little plastic bushing where the tire carrier mounts to the bumper broke right away. But I don't think it is hurting anything or preventing it from working as it should. Overall Great value for the price...

Page 2 of 2 1 2