Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Armor > Bumpers > Smittybilt Classic Rock Crawler Rear/Tire Carrier Bumper with D-rings by Smittybilt -

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Smittybilt Classic Rock Crawler Rear/Tire Carrier Bumper with D-rings by Smittybilt - Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Bumpers Next Product

Smittybilt Classic Rock Crawler Rear/Tire Carrier Bumper with D-rings by Smittybilt -

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $279.99
Average Price: $300.37
Manufacturer: Smittybilt
Recommended?
Yes: 30 / No: 8

1987-06 Wrangler;2-stage textured black powder coat;E-coat undercoated ;Heavy duty 1/4 steel plate design;Three point mounting system supports over-sized tires;Special lock design keeps tire carrier secure while off-roading

The perfect add-on to your Jeep® when you have oversized tires. Original Jeep® tailgates are unable to support the weight of an oversized tire- especially when you are off road. This bumper mount tire carrier takes the load off the tailgate and puts it on the frame mounted bumper. Each tire carrier incorporates grease fitting to keep the hinge mechanism running smooth. Constructed of the finest materials and Zinc under-coated, Dual Stage durable powder coat painted, this heavy duty off road design is built to last. Will hold up to 35 tire. Available in Textured Black only.

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review
Page 1 of 2 1 2 > Last »

Davvid_Tj2003
Davvid_Tj2003's Reviews
07-07-2014, 04:39 PM
Price: $370.00
Pros: Great Look, Extremely durable
Cons: Latch
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Great Product, Has saved my car from a few light accidents and rocks. Only downfall is with a bigger tire and gas can mounted it must be lifted up to latch correctly

Rubi2
Rubi2's Reviews
02-06-2014, 07:41 PM
Price: $179.00
Pros: Like the front bumper, it looks fantastic and is made of incredibly strong steel. The tire carrier goes on flawlessly when installing.
Cons: In the instructions (for a TJ) it requires drilling, that is impossible without having to take off the gas tank. You can ignore it (like I did) and wind up completely fine, but if you're one to really follow directions, you might want to reconsider.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Like the front bumper, it looks fantastic and is made of incredibly strong steel. The tire carrier goes on flawlessly when installing. Cheap too!

brianfulcher15
brianfulcher15's Reviews
11-29-2013, 11:10 AM
Pros: feels strong
Cons: fitment issues, had to cut and weld bottom brackets to fit. rattles
Recommended? No

Comments: I would recommend going a different route if you want an out of the box part. that fits perfect. price is to high for a part that needs mods to fit perfect

FDLB1
FDLB1's Reviews
10-29-2013, 09:10 AM
Price: $300.00
Pros: Relieves stress on rear tailgate, relatively cheap
Cons: latch rattles
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Overall, the bumper is well built. Its very solid and protective. My only con is that the latch is poorly designed. The reciever for the latch is too big for the latch which causes a terrible rattle. The bumper rattled so much that the latch handle rattled right off of the latch. I had to replace with a bolt.

smith0200
smith0200's Reviews
05-29-2013, 08:44 PM
Price: $700.00
Pros: solid
Cons: not made in USA
Recommended? Yes

Comments: solid built.

lazywhiteguy
lazywhiteguy's Reviews
05-26-2013, 02:34 PM
Price: $170.00
Pros: price.
Cons: holes didn't line up, swing away was bent, powder coating is not good.
Recommended? No

Comments: only buy if you are willing to modify the bumper to fit and fix factory defects.

djfred
djfred's Reviews
04-03-2013, 08:36 PM
Price: $200.00
Pros: Looks Heavy Duty, Clean Paint.
Cons: PITA to install by self and specially for the inner set of bolts, Latch hard to open.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Just installed it so no complaints yet, will report any issues later on . Get a friend or a neighbor to help you quickly hold it up while you screw the outside bolts. The inner bolts are PITA to install. I did not drop my tank and yet have not installed the inner bolts. Also the lower two frame mounts do not line up correctly will have to fix this later on. Have not driven the car yet to make comment on noise. The Latch is a bit hard to open up.
(Installed Spare 35x12.50x15 BFG Mud Terrain on YJ)

noise_maker

noise_maker's Reviews

01-24-2013, 09:10 AM
Price: $189.00
Pros: drings, receiver, very stout bumper, clear and easy to follow install instructions (although process sucks)
Cons: huge PIA to install.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Had mine on my jeep for 2 years with a 33 with no problems. Once you adjust it properly it doesn't rattle but you do need to push it against the snubber pretty good to open it.

I Just installed another one for a buddy yesterday and had forgotten how much of a PIA the install is. Its straight forward process and the supplied drill template makes locating where you need to drill for the inner bolts easy. Installing those inner bolts sucks donkey balls though

To install the inner set of bolts you either need to pull the drive side body bolts jack up the tub on the driver side about 2"s and borrow a small handed person to start the bolts or drop the gas tank and follow their instructions.

Given both times I did this install the jeeps had a near full tank of gas on both occasions I just lifted the tub.

Short of those driver side bolts you can do the install by yourself without too much issue. The passenger side are a pain too but are significantly easier then the driver side and can be accomplished without getting creative

chappytx
chappytx's Reviews
10-14-2012, 01:51 PM
Pros: Clean design.
Cons: Where the mount for the spare tire is welded to the bumper has cracked and had to weld it back together.
Recommended? No

Comments: Clean design but has cracked on me and rattles a little as it wears.

EJ018451
EJ018451's Reviews
07-24-2012, 11:52 AM
Price: $1.00
Pros: it allows me to carry a larger tires
Cons: makes a lot of noise
Recommended? Yes

Comments: The carrier is a decent peace of a budget but in the future i will be cutting it off and doing some thing different

Red_Rubicon
Red_Rubicon's Reviews
02-17-2012, 06:46 PM
Price: $320.00
Pros: Well built and heavy duty.
Cons: Grease fitting gets in the way of the rear tail gate, limited opening. Template was off so holes needed to be re done
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Like I said above. Good for the price.

jrayzhunter
jrayzhunter's Reviews
02-06-2012, 03:15 PM
Price: $350.00
Pros: Tough, looks good, easy installation
Cons: Heavy and rattles
Recommended? Yes

Comments: It is sturdy and tough. It can withstand quite a pounding on the trails. It looks great in the back of any jeep. The spare is in a great place for easy access and easy to take off or tighten if necessary.

If the bolts are not on good the tire does have a tendency to be shook loose but because of how it's secured its not going to fall off.

Lowandslow
Lowandslow's Reviews

12-26-2011, 07:47 PM
Pros: Looks Good at a Great Price
Cons: Strenthgen Brackets need to be grinded down.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Besides it being in the 30s outside the install went relatively easy. From start to finish took 3 hours with 2 people. Only issue we came across was that the strengthening brackets were oversized and needed to be ground. Overall the bumper looks great and works as intended. Also provides great clearance. I would recommend this to bumper to a friend.

octoberfest
octoberfest's Reviews

10-22-2011, 07:23 PM
Price: $125.00
Pros: Receiver and D rings
Cons: To be determined
Recommended? Yes

Comments: This is just the bumper without the tire carrier. The paperwork says its class IV rated, not so sure about that but its still cheaper than buying a separate receiver and will hold all my jeep will pull. The holes all lined up fine but the back plates that came with it needed to be shaved down a little. All in all, for the money you spend on one you can't complain.

bmosing

bmosing's Reviews
10-11-2011, 11:07 AM
Pros: Decent bumper for the price, swing out tire carrier is nice.
Cons: tire carrier rattles a bit
Recommended? Yes

Comments: For the money, it is not a bad bumper. Smittybilt has a pretty bad reputation among jeepers though. I fixed my tire carrier rattling by using a bungee strap around the latch. It's better than having a 33" tire on the rear tail gate

phantom01231
phantom01231's Reviews
05-21-2011, 01:14 AM
Pros: looks ok
Cons: tire carrier rattles like hell, hard to install.
Recommended? No

Comments: Got one a few months ago. PITA to install. The bumber looks good though. Instructions are crap. The tire carrier rattles all the time! The way it mounts to the Frame makes me kinda uneasy. The bolts screw into the bumper from the other side of the frame instead of the bolts being welded to the bumber and being bolted on from the other side like the stock bumber. Not sure about this thing. Will deff be doing some mods to it to add strength.

TJDaveC
TJDaveC's Reviews

04-23-2011, 09:41 AM
Pros: It's sturdy and looks great
Cons: Latch
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I have had this bumper/tire carrier for over a year now. It holds up well and looks great. It has been holding a 33"/1250" with no real problems. I even use the hitch on it to tow a very heavy 6'x8' trailer with various things in it including a motorcycle. And that is without installing all of the bolts that come with it. Two of the bolts that come with it require you to drop the gas tank and drill holes through the rear of your frame. I didn't do that part. Still towes the trailer with no problems.

My only complaint is the latch design. It rattles a lot and doesn't hold very well. On one occasion I hit a bump in the road and the latch bounced over the lip on the bumper and the carrier swung open while driving down the road. No damage done, just scared the **** out of me. If this bumper had a descent latch I wouldn't have any complaints at all.

saharacon87
saharacon87's Reviews

03-28-2011, 10:19 PM
Price: $279.00
Pros: One of the best looking bumper/tire carriers on the market.
Cons: Looks aren't everything. Holes don't line up. Hardware is terrible. Inconsistent craftsmanship. Simple and Defective.
Recommended? No

Comments: Dont expect everything to line up and don't expect an easy install. I bought the bumper and the install wasn't that bad. Had to buy new hardware, grind a little here and drill a little there but I got it on. My friend got the same bumper and the install was a horror story. He bolted it on using the factory hardware and broke d*** near every bolt. Then he went to mount the tire carrier and the shaft that the tire carrier slides onto was crooked so it wouldn't line up to the latch. Hit or miss product. Do you feel lucky punk?

Cassafrass

Cassafrass's Reviews
03-14-2011, 03:02 PM
Pros: Bumper is heavy and strong
Cons: Tire carrier is very cheap;
Recommended? No

Comments: You get what you pay for. The bumper itself is nice but the tire carrier needs work. It rattles and shakes all of the time, I had to grind down the corner of it because when you opened it it would swing and chip off the paint on my jeep. The latch doesn't line up right so its hard to open and close. You get what you pay for.

dons_jeep

dons_jeep's Reviews
03-09-2011, 09:49 AM
Price: $375.00
Pros: Strong, Style, Price, Looks, Durability
Cons: Tire Swing-Arm Rattles like you would not believe.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: The Bumper is a nice design just has it's flaws like everything else. The biggest issue was the latch mechanism. You have a 3/4" square latch going into a 1" square hole. What were these engineers smoking? The other issue I had with this bumper was the fact that it does not direct bolt onto the rear cross member. This bumper is designed for the YJ & the TJ only. so why not make it a direct bolt on? Both cross members have the mounting holes in the same spots.

Well on my bumper I removed the latch and dipped it into liquid rubber to seal it. I then took a 3/8" piece of rubber and attached it to the 1" latch hole. It does not completely stop the rattle but it did help a lot. I did have to drill into my cross member to mount the other 4 bolts.

If your looking for a good strong bumper and do not mind the flaws then this is the bumper to get, I do like it and it matches perfectly to my front bumper.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 > Last »