Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Armor > Bumpers > Rugged Ridge XHD Winch Bar

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Rugged Ridge XHD Winch Bar Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Bumpers Next Product

Rugged Ridge XHD Winch Bar

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $600.00
Average Price: $422.88
Manufacturer: Rugged Ridge
Recommended?
Yes: 16 / No: 0

XHD Winch Bar

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review

67alecto
67alecto's Reviews
02-19-2014, 04:55 PM
Price: $375.00
Pros: Love the look better than the tube bumper.
Cons: none so far
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Installation was very easy. Don't be in a hurry if you're installing the bull bar that loops over - the 8 bolts will need to be put in a bit at a time so you can get everything lined up. If you install a winch at the same time, the instructions say to install the winch on the bumper, then the whole unit on the jeep. If you have a helper, this can work since combined they weigh more than 150lbs. If you're alone, I found you can also install the winch after the bumper is already on.

11RUBICON

11RUBICON's Reviews
04-27-2012, 05:57 PM
Price: $380.00
Pros: LOW PROFILE, GOOD POWDER COATING, FOGLIGHTS,
Cons:  I WISH THE FAIRLEAD PLATE WAS THICKER
Recommended? Yes

Comments: THIS IS A GOOD BUMPER THAT YOU CAN UPGRADE AND CHANGE WITH DIFFERANT STAGES OF YOUR BUILD. IT HAS THE FACTORY FOG LIGHT OPTION AND CARRIES A WINCH LOW SO THERE IS NOT COOLING ISSUES. I BUILT A CUSTOM GRILLE HOOP FOR MINE TO MAKE IT LOOK DIFFEARNT THAN EVERYONES ELSES. THE ONLY THING THAT I WOULD CHANGE IS THE THICKNESS OF THE METAL FOR THE FAIR LEAD IT SHOULD BE 1/4" AT LEAST.

Morgen251

Morgen251's Reviews
04-18-2011, 07:53 PM
Price: $538.00
Pros: Easy Install, solid build
Cons: Not made in USA (what is?)
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Very solid bumper, even as a stubby. End caps are just as sturdy. Hoop over completes the look for an aggressive bumper. Conversion to stubby could be easier (six threaded nylon M12 nut not all accessible by ratchet), but strength would likely be sacrificed.

Overall a very good bumper. Price quoted includes stubby, end caps, and hoop.

doc0351
doc0351's Reviews

03-17-2011, 03:37 AM
Price: $600.00
Pros: Looks great, easy to install by yourself. very solid
Cons: Heavy, paint flakes very easy
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Two weeks after I mounted this bumper I smoked a deer. Highway patrol said he has seen ton's of car vs deer incidents and its a good thing I had the bumper. The only proff I had of even hitting a deer was its hair stuck to the fairlead and d-ring. very happy with it other then the paint flakes easy.

DocJake

in therapy
DocJake's Reviews

01-31-2011, 08:53 AM
Price: $369.00
Pros: Inexpensive, vast improvement over stock, customizable, looks great
Cons: Fair quality control by Rugged Ridge, fair instructions, paint flakes easily according to some
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Compared with my stock Sahara bumper, this is a beast. You may want to consider adding a leveller to your springs to counter any sag from the extra weight of center, ends, hoop, winch etc.

Lockable End Units: After ordering on Quadratec, the XHD lockable end sections arrived several days after ordering. Boxing was secure and product well wrapped. On opening the carton, I searched every inch of the box, wrapping, and conspicuous empty zip-lock bag within but found no keys. Supplier was great and in one day I had a replacement with 2 keys. End units attach with 3 bolts which, although beefy, makes me wonder if they will stay on in a crash. Keys are small, one key per storage section, so 2 keys per order. A plastic cap covers the keyhole keeping out dirt. Keys were somewhat difficult to push in but with a bit of force and wiggling, work properly. Gasket of storage end is rubber and seems of good quality. Caps of storage units have no hinge but simply hang from a small steel wire attached from inside the unit.

XHD Winch Mount Bumper: Good gauge steel and design. Looked great in photo. Looks ok in real life too. Stock auxilary lights fit well into new bumper but disregard instructions which tell you to simply unplug your old bulb. What they mean is remove the entire housing from the original bumper and set into the new bumper. No rough edges noted, black wrinkle finish was even and no bare spots although it did come off easily when the bumper rubbed against anything. Of note was a long bend in the leading edge of the steel by the winch area. Hello.. calling quality control? Anyway not too serious, but made me wonder why. Holes lined up well and slid on nicely. My 3 18mm 12 point sockets all fit the front bolt heads, but none even deep, fit the locking nuts from behind. I'll pick up a 3/4" 6 pointer today to tighten them fully. Have both handy on your install.

All in all, looks great, is a huge improvement over stock, and allows you to mix and match components. I may swap the hoop in near future and try a prerunner. If I don't like it..snap! back to hoop in minutes. Good product. Good price. So-So quality control from RR. Enjoy!

UPDATE/ALERT w Smitty Built XRC8 Winch: Ok, thought I'd give a heads up to anyone doing the XHD with grill guard along with a Smitty Built XRC8 combo. Given both are inexpensive, this seems a popular combination. A problem arises from the grill guard blocking access to the solenoid housing. The winch's control unit can't be plugged into its socket as its under the grill guard if the XHD guard is in the outward oriented position. The XHD guard can be flipped so it's "lean" is rearward but this may not suit some tastes and makes removing the grill impossible without first removing the XHD guard.

A solution is to tilt the solenoid housing forward which moves the socket forward as well. To do this, use the original forward attachment point. Do not attach the rear as instructed. This is a close up of the rear of the solenoid unit tilted up at an acceptable angle. Note the distance between the hole, and the rear crossrod of the winch spool, where it normally would be affixed:

Simple fix: Use the small galvanized bar they supply for the alternative mounting. It will be used as a small extension bracket after drilling a couple larger holes in it as such:

Attach it as such using a small bolt and locking nut.

It ends up tilting the solenoid perfectly. Looks fine, still sturdy and ends up not such a problem after all...

ThunderFoot

ThunderFoot's Reviews
10-16-2010, 11:18 PM
Price: $401.00
Pros: Strongly built, good welds.
Cons: Heavvy
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Pretty much any bumper would be better than the stock one with the plastic covering. I bought the Rugged Ridge XHD winch bumper for my JK for its looks as well as the availability of the storage ends. It's easier to install this bumper than to take the stock one off and it looks infinitely snappier.

bs369
bs369's Reviews
10-05-2010, 04:36 PM
Price: $325.00
Pros: Looks bad ***, universal winch mount, sick angle of approach....
Cons: Looks kinda easy to steal... weld the nuts
Recommended? Yes

Comments: If you are lookin for a great bumper this is the one, its adaptable for whatever look your goin for and mounts on in a sinch (it was harder to get the stock one off), I got mine for cheap and added a coupon and a rebate on top of that, you'll never look back if you buy this.

markxj2k
markxj2k's Reviews
10-03-2010, 10:20 PM
Price: $394.00
Pros: Inexpensive steel bumper with winch mounting plate built-in and cut-outs for OEM fog lights. Winch mounting is kept low. Lots of upgrade options.
Cons: None
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I wanted to keep my OEM fog lights and mount a which as low as possible. My budget was tight and the Rugged Ridge XHD bumper fit my requirement and wallet. Mounting was easy, though you do have to mount the winch before installing the bumper, so you'll need two people to lift and hold it in place for final install.

I also got the Rugged Ridge front skid plate. This was a bit more of a pain in the neck to install, but with some struggling and "adjustments" I got it on. Now my front e-disconnect is protected.

I am thinking of adding the storage end extensions and stinger in the future.

jd_goldcombat

jd_goldcombat's Reviews
02-25-2010, 11:49 AM
Price: $635.00
Pros: Stout, good, looking, and customizable.
Cons: finish is a bit scary. Dreading little orange dots everywhere as the crinkle-finish chips away from FOD strikes, etc.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Nice bumper. I like that it can be somehwat customized. Also like the ability to re-use my factory fog lamps. Fairly easy to install. Looks awesome. Accomodates winch and hawse fairlead nicely.

BornInTX
BornInTX's Reviews
07-13-2009, 09:52 PM
Price: $415.00
Pros: Heavy, built tough
Cons: Wound up taking about three hours to install
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Love this thing with the winch and overrider hoop.

shockwave562

shockwave562's Reviews
06-03-2009, 04:25 PM
Price: $450.00
Pros: looks good, feels solid, holds winch perfectly
Cons: black texture seems to come off easily
Recommended? Yes

Comments: For the price I couldn't beat this bumper. It looks great too. the modular pieces are not only nice for customization but I can swap out parts on the fly when I'm off-road. I'm a little afraid this will rust down the road

bodybrdng

bodybrdng's Reviews

01-14-2009, 02:14 PM
Price: $225.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: great price and the ability to customize it is great. Only weights 72 lbs with the d-rings

archero

archero's Reviews

10-20-2008, 08:47 AM
Price: $329.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Just received this product in the mail. I have yet to install it. I do like the weight of the unit and feel that it was a good buy. Front recovery points are important.

clayfool
clayfool's Reviews

07-08-2008, 05:28 PM
Price: $550.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Looks great and allows stock fog lights to be used.Will add skid plate when available.

TJ_Jeeper91
TJ_Jeeper91's Reviews

06-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Price: $180.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I love this front bumper!! Gave me room for my 2 front HiLights. Very easy to install. The directions are very straight-forward.

caseyg
caseyg's Reviews

05-28-2008, 05:45 AM
Price: $600.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: The Rugged Ridge XHD is a great bar, especially with the removable end caps.