rooster5333

2007 JK Wrangler 

Rampage Front recovery bumper with lights JK

Front recovery bumper with lights

post #2 of Old 04-29-2008, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
rooster5333

2007 JK Wrangler 

Awesome! I love this bumper. Came with shackles and winch plate. Installation was easy!
post #3 of Old 05-12-2008, 09:57 AM
BelAirJohn

The Bumper is very nice $499 That said, the bumper is a very tight fit. I often have my 12-year-old son help me but because of the bumper's weight I stopped at a friend's carpet shop and asked him to help. He was dressed nicely for work and I thought that this would only take a few minutes (boy was I wrong). I'm good with tools and my friend has restored a few Land Rovers. Either of us could pull an engine.
#1 The backing plates on the frame need to be ground down on a bench grinder because the wide end "that goes down" couldn't work because of a gusset on the bumper.#2 The (4) bolt patterns that bolt to the frame have to go on perfectly. We test fit and tried getting the bumper to line up over all eight holes for over an hour. Either four bolt pattern would fit nicely but God help you to get both sides at the same time. In the end I drilled out two mounting holes with a monster drill bit and a 1/2 drill. We bolted on the passengerís side and I climbed under and saw that two bolts on the driverís side needed to be bent slightly to fit-up. I double nutted the (2) 3/8" stud bolts and put a piece of pipe over the stud and nudge-ed it in the right direction. Finally all eight bolts lined up but they fit so tightly that I had to use the nuts & bolts to draw in the bumper to final position by ratching both sides on slowly & evenly. This bumper fits tighter than a glove! #3 the winch was no problem getting on. The winch attachment bolt holes are nicely counter sunk to accept stove-bolts. #4 The problem with stove bolts is that they don't come in "grade 8" only in grade 6. I sell bolts for a living and I have the books to prove that (4) 3/8" grade 6 bolts work to 10,500 lbs. in shear but anyone else would ring there hands wondering if they where using the right bolts. In closing I love this bumper and would buy it again but, plan for a friend to help and no less than 4 hours install time. Get "Zen with it" and have all of your tools ready. I fear other bumper brands are little better. JOHN
post #4 of Old 07-02-2008, 08:35 PM
ZX14Rider

2008 JK Wrangler 

Big, solid, and really heavy !! A quality bumper..Heavy duty springs would be a good idea with this bumper as it will make your front end drop..
post #5 of Old 12-17-2008, 11:57 AM
Rocker69
2008 JK Wrangler 

These bumpers look mean, but add a lot of weight. I put front and rear on, and the factory lights don't fit the front. The rear instalation forced me to give up my tow bar too.
post #6 of Old 04-02-2009, 11:05 AM
DJDarkGift
2004 TJ Wrangler 

This Rampage Bumper was purchased by the prior owner and he told me it took him quite some time to pick this one. I'm glad he did because I just love this bumper. Very Beefy, Made Rock Solid and look forward to purchasing the matching rear bumper with tire carrier when the cash allows.
post #7 of Old 07-29-2009, 12:51 AM
ExplorGM
2008 JK Wrangler 

we purchased the Rampage Front Bumper from 4WD Hardware online for our 2008 Rubicon Unlimited. Paid just over $600 including tax. Had the bumper delivered to our local store in Phoenix so we saved the shipping charge.

A drunk had nailed our stock front bumper so most of this cost was paid by his insurance. The cost of a new plastic cover for the stock bumper, labor, and a day's car rental came to $460 so this worked out well!

First let me say that the service at the local 4WD Hardware stores was outstanding! Received a call when the order was placed, another when the bumper arrived one day later, and the awesome warehouse guy helped me unpack it and load it into the back of the Rubi. (The dual top was still in place so the box would not fit as is)

The bumper itself fit like a glove for the most part. The fit actually looks better than the factory bumper with the ends much closer to the fenders and up and out of the way of the tires. The bolts were extremely close in tolerance so that was a challenge since I did the install solo. (Holding the bumper up with one hand while trying to align the holes/bolts and then using a rubber mallet to snug it on...) This puppy weighs a little more than the stocker.

The stock backing/bolt plates did not fit the bottom of the bumper where they are wider so I had to grind and them paint them a little.
The factory fogs fit well with only a little grinding on the holes on one side to get it to fit dead center. The mounts on the fogs fit the holes pretty well and they bolted right up.

My only complaints are in the "finish" department. The holes for the factory fogs show some pretty ugly grinding marks under the black powdercoat and the welds around the D-Ring mounts in places are rough. Also the top of the stinger was scratched down to the metal, probably from shipping. Easily touched up, but not fun to see right out of the box...It is also not boxed in in the back, but for the price and for our moderate off roading, it came with everything we needed. Full width coverage, better clearance than stock, factory light mounts, winch mount and a moderate stinger... Again, not a bumper for a serious rock crawler or a show vehicle, but for every day road and weekend dirt use, it is perfect!

post #8 of Old 08-22-2009, 10:42 AM
aztec_doc
2013 JK Wrangler 

Good overall bumper. Good bang for your buck
post #9 of Old 12-09-2010, 11:36 AM
GeorgiaRubi
2010 JK Wrangler 

Install was rather easy. Just make sure you install the driving lights first or you will be taking the bumper off a second time. Mounting a Warn winch to it can be a pain in the ... but it can be done. Wished it was boxed it, but overall looks great.
post #10 of Old 03-15-2011, 11:10 AM
ericrj80
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quick easy install..Have not been on the trails yet to see what kinda abuse it can take
post #11 of Old 03-25-2011, 08:45 AM
djflyy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Great front bumper... not only does it look beefy and intimidating, but it provides stinger support without extending too far forward... parallel parking is still a possibility. Mine came with the front bumper lights free, so those were a nice addition, and help in foggy weather and snow to get a better idea as to the road. I will mention that I ripped through the steel during a recovery one time, the D-ring on the drivers side was hooked to a tow strap and then to a Dodge 2500 pickup, and as I was pulling backwards, the steel of the bumper ripped through and it came off the left side of the Jeep........ Still would recommend, though.
post #12 of Old 04-06-2011, 08:10 AM
wylderubicon
2002 TJ Wrangler 

mounting was straight forward., but I did have to trim the front to make it fit over my steering column
post #13 of Old 04-12-2011, 09:31 PM
mountianman007

where do you get a complete recovery bumper, winch mt. plate weld on push bar that loolks good and fits for under $500?
post #14 of Old 01-25-2012, 09:37 AM
crxcj
2007 JK Wrangler 

Can't beat the price. Looks good. Paint texture and color just about match fender flares. No problem putting bumper on. My Ramsey winch fit perfect. Welds could be better. Does not come with a skid plate but comes with shackles and fairlead mount. I will have to fab a skidplate or buy one and make it fit. Took 4 days to get.
post #15 of Old 02-26-2013, 01:52 AM
hil1
2013 JK Wrangler 

Installed my Rampage front recovery bumper today on my 2013 jku. Good bumper seems sturdy and good price point. Did not have to relocate the vacuum pump located behind stock bumper so that's also a plus.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2001.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	573445