Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Armor > Bumpers > Hanson Offroad Rear Bumper w/Square Frame Tire Carrier

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Hanson Offroad Rear Bumper w/Square Frame Tire Carrier Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Bumpers Next Product

Hanson Offroad Rear Bumper w/Square Frame Tire Carrier

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $1,000.00
Average Price: $100,000,922.40
Manufacturer: Hanson Offroad
Recommended?
Yes: 10 / No: 1

The Square-Frame tire/utility carrier has many uses. First and foremost, it can carry up to a 36" tire . The wheel is secured to the carrier with three lug nuts and so will work with most factory and aftermarket rims of different sizes and bolt circles. The mount is adjustable in and out for use with different offsets and tire widths as well. Locking is accomplished with a standard wheel-lock. As you can see in some of the pictures here, we previously used a design incorporating a T-handle instead of the current wheel lug nuts. This was a great design as well. However with the use of factory and other aluminum wheels getting more common, customers had expressed concern that our wheel-washer might mar the soft aluminum of certain types. Hence the change. At the same time, we made the center post a modular design to aid in shipping and to create an even more versatile tire carrier. It means more hardware, but the end result is worth the extra time to install this system.

Auxiliary back-up or rock lights can be mounted using holes in the gussets on the lower corners the frame. And the top of the center post is capped with a tab and 1/2" hole for an antenna or light. When the Cargo Frame is mounted, this tab is used to secure it to the frame. In cases like this an extension tab will have to be created for continued use with an antenna. We do not currently offer a spot to relocate the third brake light, but there are slotted holes in the center post that are suitable for this under certain circumstances if you want to re-mount your factory light .

The rack swings out and latches at approximately 90° from the rear of the Jeep with the use of a milled slot (detent) in the spindle and a spring loaded lock rod (detent-rod) through the main beam that will engage the slot . This locks the carrier in the open position keeping it from swinging back at you on a side-hill, and helping to keep the tire or rack from hitting the side of the Jeep. The rack mounts to the bumper spindle with a clamp sleeve. The spindle is center drilled for lubrication with a grease fitting on top. On the upper right is a stabilizer hinge that bolts into the body tub. To install this will require drilling two holes into the body. Though putting holes and attaching a tire carrier to the body may not be preferred, it is essential to stabilize the carrier when heavier loads are present, and has not proven to be a problem on YJ's or TJ's. This feature can be adjusted up or down if a body lift is added or if the lights have been relocated. The upper hinge uses a urethane bushing, instead of being rigidly mounted, with a pivot bolt that is much smaller than the hole, to provide a cushion and allow some slip between the rack frame and body tub. FOR CJ APPLICATIONS, we highly recommend the use of corner panel protectors, or other methods, to reinforce this area because with the more flexible frames on early models, fatiguing of the sheet metal is almost certain after some serious wheeling. On the upper left corner of the carrier frame, there is a 3/8” thick tab. This is for the Auxiliary Pin yoke that would be installed on the body tub as an additional securing point if a cargo system is heavily laden. We recommend this for anyone carrying a very large or heavy tire, and/or using any of the upper cargo options. This too would require drilling into the tub. The load is still carried by the spindle and bumper, but to give our system the maximum stability we've added these features. We try to offer products that require little or no modification to the vehicle, but in some cases it becomes necessary when you want the most strength, stability and functionality for an important item like a tire carrier.

Hardware for mounting a Hi-Lift jack and Max-Ax is included and the new handle mount for the Max-Ax doubles as a bottle-opener . The tools are mounted in such a way as to keep extra weight as low, and the tools as tucked out of the way as possible. With mounting the jack in such a confined space, you need to remove the bottom foot on the jack and attach it to the beam for storage. Cutting down the handle and main beam, or using the 42" version, are also common practices. Three or so inches works great. As far as shortening the effective range of the jack, consider using a ratchet strap or small chain with a ‘S' hook to loosely tie the axle to the frame. When the slack has been taken out of the strap or chain, it will then lift the axle without having to go through the whole range of articulation that our high dollar suspensions will allow. This just could minimize the tipsy condition you get from a fully extended jack. Just a thought. When a Hi-Lift is kept in the carrier, it can cover part of the license plate on some models. You can relocate the stock mount, or use one of our simple kits. One good location is on the lower beam near the spindle. Two ¼” holes is all that's required. If you prefer something different from our plate holder, many Hot Rod outlets have classy holders worth checking into.

Something that helps the stability of this carrier even more, is using the existing rubber tire snubbers that the TJ's have on their tailgates. Depending on your setup, you might need to use spacers behind the stops, if the carrier doesn't touch them when closed, or cut some of the rubber bumpers down if they contact too soon. The idea is to dial in just a little resistance before the latch engages the locking slot.

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review

HogHunter
HogHunter's Reviews
11-30-2012, 02:06 AM
Price: $1,050.00
Pros: very improved over the last design were the swing arm skid was on the tire carrier. its now on the bumper itself.
Cons: hardware a bit confusing.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Love my hanson gear.

Scribner
Scribner's Reviews
04-08-2012, 09:12 PM
Price: $1,100.00
Pros: holds a tire, strong
Cons: waste of a rear view mirror with 33s
Recommended? Yes

Comments: It's been so long since I put the rear bumper on.

KINGSIZE
KINGSIZE's Reviews
02-17-2011, 10:41 AM
Price: $1,000,000,000.00
Pros: Blah
Cons: Blah
Recommended? No

Comments: Blah

Greenducky55
Greenducky55's Reviews
01-31-2011, 09:35 PM
Price: $1,000.00
Pros: strong smoth action
Cons: drilling into body cant be undone
Recommended? Yes

Comments: bought used powder coat is srong ive hit a few rocks with it before with no issues and hold my spare saftly

b0bbymc
b0bbymc's Reviews
04-01-2010, 03:45 PM
Price: $1,100.00
Pros: good looking, strong
Cons: Expensive but u get what u pay for with this bumper. Upper tire carrier hinge support didnt fit my LJ. Had to modify the bracket.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I havent done much wheeling but I have towed my 5x10 trailer w/ my polaris rzr on it and had zero problems. I just got back from a trip where i towed a 6x14 trailer w/ my rzr and a buddies polaris 800 on the front of the trailer turned sideways and the bumper did excellent. I know a lot of companies do not suggest using their bumper's 2" hitch as a tow point but i have been using my hanson and it has held up great! Would definitely recommend this bumper to anyone...

USMCEOD

USMCEOD's Reviews
01-24-2010, 10:53 PM
Price: $1,098.00
Pros: Will provide protection AND hold large tires
Cons: the latch rattles on hard bumps
Recommended? Yes

Comments: This square bumper and swing gate/tire carrier is awesome. It has spots for a highlift jack, CB antennaes, backup light, etc. It is heavy to open with my 35" mud tire on it, but slams closed easily. The latch and hinge require regular lubrication to keep them from sticking up with dirt and mud. great product.

kstover

kstover's Reviews

01-02-2010, 10:32 AM
Price: $980.00
Pros: Attention to detail - styling - renforced reciever hitch - hold open latch - latching system allows one handed use.
Cons: Cons: Hardware is lacking (missing bolts nuts etc) - instructions poor (actualy shows pics of old style bumper not newer design) - Frame tie in doesn't seem as solid as others.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Hardware was a pain, glad I have a large reserve of nuts and bolts. Hanson sent 3/8" bolts for 1/2" holes. Instruction were poor but not really needed, I think that it's kinda goofy to send instructions for older style bumper, the latching system and several other things have changed since the instructions were written.
Overall a very nice bumper and tire carrier with lots of extras available but pricey.
Keith

SuperWade2

More Money than Brains
SuperWade2's Reviews

06-03-2008, 05:14 PM
Price: $1,000.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments:

Wheels-Up
Wheels-Up's Reviews

05-20-2007, 01:49 PM
Pros: Very Strong. Unique appearance. Xtra secure receiver pin connection.
Cons: Long Hi-Lift requires moving the license plate mount. U-paint (used to be, at least). Heavy.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Hauls anyting; goes anywhere. Safe & secure; no drama. Pretty well thought out system. The inside holds both a hi-lift jack and a multi trail tool. I had to re-drill a couple of mismatched holes, sand some scratches due to delivery, and get the whole system powdercoated. All parts (front & rear) cost another $500 to prep & paint -- not bad. It is a very attractive addition to any jeep as well -- all business. I give it a 9/10 with the 1 point deduction for the extra little hassle of painting -- a point way overcome by the quality, durability, and general koolness of his design.

frogger
frogger's Reviews

02-27-2007, 12:42 AM
Price: $948.00
Pros: I am running 37's with the full cargo system. I love this system.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Hanson is the best. Can carry anything and it doesn't rattle. Carries a 37" tire w/complete system.

MDC3

MDC3's Reviews

02-10-2007, 06:01 PM
Price: $948.00
Pros: Superior Product, Strong, looks great, no vibration
Cons: Could use better directions, 2 Months delivery time
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Very happy with the product! Cant really find any shortcomings so far. It took awhile to be delivered, but, was worth the wait! It is a very adaptable product that will facilitate mutiple upgrades like: cargo systems, lights, Hi-Lift mount, ax mount, and a CB antennae.

The Hi-Lift mount is awesome. No vibration.....what-so-ever! Holds up to a 36" tire and has a bottle opener too!!