Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Armor > Bumpers > Detours USA - Detours USA XJ TailBone

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Detours USA - Detours USA XJ TailBone Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Bumpers Next Product

Detours USA - Detours USA XJ TailBone

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating: None

Product Information

MSRP: $400.00
Average Price: $491.00
Manufacturer: Detours USA
Recommended?
Yes: 5 / No: 0
Company Website: http://www.detoursusa.com/

The long awaited TailBone System is finally here and Detours couldn't be happier with the final product. Much like our front BackBone System for your XJ, the TailBone again makes use of your factory rear bumper skin, maintaining factory appearance yet offering stout performance. The TailBone System offers a grease-able swing out tire carrier which locks in place using a 2,000lb lever clamp and two 3/4" thick recovery points which will accept 4.5 ton, 5/8" D-Rings for easy, confident extractions. The TailBone's mounting system is an easy bolt up to body configuration, complete with unibody inserts and total wrap around bracing which even reinforces 4 of your stock bracket mounting locations, we spent a lot of time making this right! After the mounting system is installed, simple cutting and fitting of your stock bumper skin is all thats required and better yet, this system fits on ALL years the XJ was made right up through 2001.
The TailBone System is the only system of it's kind being offered to XJ owners, the TailBones swing out carrier will handle up to a 33" tire mounted on a bead-lock rim, or up to most narrow 35" tires mounted on a standard rim or aluminum bead-lock rim. The tire carrier mount itself, can be adjusted for different offset rims, it can also be ordered 'offset', leaning your spare to match the pitch of the rear of the XJ's hatch, and no, there's no extra charge for that detail.
Be sure to check out our install page (coming soon) to see just how stout this system is along with it's easy installation! As with all of our products, the TailBone System ships prepped and primer sealed ready for your top coat paint of choice for easy maintenance and touch up.

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review

rmeredit
rmeredit's Reviews
04-18-2014, 05:12 PM
Price: $405.00
Pros: Fantastic fit, ties into the unibody like a glove
Cons: None
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I'd recommend it for sure - built like a tank and looks OEM.

MoeGravey

MoeGravey's Reviews
07-20-2012, 02:02 AM
Price: $450.00
Pros: Easy install, adds tire mount and recovery points on a low budget
Cons: due to conditions at the time, shipping was a 3 month wait
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I was hesitant at first to go with a lesser known company. i talked with the owner on the phone about every other week on how progression of my bumper was coming. At time of my order, his shop was getting hammered with storms and electrical outtages, so my build time for the bumper was extended to 3 months. when i got it in the mail, there was an error in the welds for the tire mount, but that was relieved with an over night replacement.

the install was smooth and tested the recovery points on multiple occasions with no failures.

overall a great product, it kept OEM looks with a budget conscious price and many great features.

GregB_00XJ

GregB_00XJ's Reviews
07-05-2011, 03:24 AM
Price: $400.00
Pros: Strong, well made, great design, excellent functionality and utility.
Cons: Install was harder than I had thought, not hard just longer than I thought.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Very impressed. The quality of the construction and the attention to detail is excellent on this product. The design allows the stock Jeep bumper to be utilized keeping the stock look but SUBSTANTIALLY increases the strength and rigidity. There is the added bonus of 2 recovery points which are more than strong enough.

Mark of Detours USA's customer service and personal service is second to none. I will be a repeat customer!

mflueras
mflueras's Reviews
10-05-2010, 05:21 AM
Price: $800.00
Pros: Excellent fit and finish, Highest quality workmanship Build to order means it you can have it your way protects rear quarter pannels.
Cons: Custom made, so it takes a long time to get Needs to be painted
Recommended? Yes

Comments: By far the best tire carrier bumper available for jeep xj cherokees. Has frame tie in brackets in addition to the 8 factory rear bumper mounts, as well as two additional mounts for the sides.

The bumper is made to wrap around the rear quarter pannels for those that don't want to "cut and fold". There is a version available that is made for those that do cut and fold also, I happen to be one of those that don't want to go that route. Mark at Detours is super easy to work with and his stuff is high quality.

PackDude

PackDude's Reviews
05-28-2010, 10:03 PM
Price: $400.00
Pros: * Mounts to so many places on the unibody that it could probably be used to tow a semi trailer. * Fits BEHIND your stock rear bumper shell, so you can maintain the good aesthetics. Nice swing-out tire carrier. * Installs perfectly * Tire carrier hinge has grease zerk
Cons: * Swing out tire carrier hinge threads were too tight -- had to re-cut the threads to get the bolt to screw in. * Advertising decal supplied was too tall to mount on the swing-out tire carrier bar, which is the ideal place to mount it! So now it has a "JeepForum.Com" decal on it, which was the perfect size.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: This bumper is awesome. Well, it's not really a bumper, but an extremely good reinforcement system for the stock XJ bumper.

It takes about one full day to install it. It will take more if you have extra stuff on your XJ, like gas tank skid plates, etc.

Seriously consider getting the 10 degree tilt on the tire carrier, especially if you are going to mount a spare tire mounted on a wheel with stock backspacing! I got the straight up tire carrier and had to put my spare tire on the carrier backwards because the backspacing interfered.