Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Armor > Bumpers > Body Armor 4X4 - Body Armor Rear High Clearance Bumper and Tire Carrier

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Body Armor 4X4 - Body Armor Rear High Clearance Bumper and Tire Carrier Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Bumpers Next Product

Body Armor 4X4 - Body Armor Rear High Clearance Bumper and Tire Carrier

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $799.98
Average Price: $682.50
Manufacturer: Body Armor 4X4
Recommended?
Yes: 3 / No: 1
Company Website: http://www.bodyarmor4x4.com/

New Contemporary High Clearance Design for improved Off Road Performance. Features include a Dual Ball Bearing Designed Tire Carrier for Dependable and Smooth use capable of handling a 40" Tire! With an easy bolt on installation it can retain the factory Tow Hitch. Black Textured Powder Coat Finish.

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review

dpbergen
dpbergen's Reviews

04-19-2013, 02:29 PM
Price: $848.00
Pros: Nice look, retains my OEM hitch.
Cons: Poor fitment. Instructions with kit were poor, no pictures - had to go online.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Just installed Body Armor's high clearance rear bumper with tire carrier on my 2010 JK Unltd. Overall, despite fitment issues, I'm going to be happy with the product, however Body Armor have some quality issues to work on.
1. Bumper fitment to Jeep frame is tight. The tire carrier swing arm stop, just below the license plate, is set back too far hitting the license plate and bracket, keeping me from fully pushing the bumper onto the frame, meaning those smaller two vertical bolt holes on the bumper connecting plates, don't line up to the frame. The main bolts did, so I just used those, it will be more than adequate albeit frustrating.
2. The bracket assembly which bolts onto the tire swing carrier which contains the bolt pattern mount for the spare tire, did not line up with the holes on the carrier itself. I had to elongate some of the holes by drilling, off by more than 1/8" or more in some cases. I also had to grind the vertical stiffner plate on the bracket to allow clearance when assembling to the carrier. This is basic stuff which they haven't got right.
3. The swing arm latch is a nice idea however it doesn't give a very positive over-dead-center locking feel, leaving doubt if it will pop open when hitting the trail. I had to take a grinder and modify it to allow the latch to travel further over in the closed position to create a more secure past-dead-center feel.
These are all avoidable issues, it's unfortunate. But the bumper and tire carrier assembly is very nice, so I'm sure it will serve me fine.

davjohns
davjohns's Reviews

06-02-2012, 11:32 PM
Price: $370.00
Pros: Heavy duty. Thick coating
Cons: Not compatible with Body Armor roof rack. Arrived with some rust.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: OK. So I got the Body Armor roof rack for my JK. It isn't compatible with the stock rear bumper. You don't find that out until it arrives and you read it in the instructions. It's nowhere online.

My wife decides she can't live without a rear bumper. She orders the Body Armor bumper shown with the rack in all of the advertisements. The bumper arrives with some rust on it. I had to go to the store to get some Rustoleum to touch it up.

The bumper attaches to the exact same frame holes as the rack. Not a problem. But the rack came with a plate that had two nuts welded to it. That plate slides inside the frame tube so you can run bolts through the rack, through the frame and into the nuts. That particular plate was made for you to hold it in place by inserting your hand / fingers into the frame while you line things up. Recognizing that the bumper blocks that part of the frame, the bumper comes with something similar where the plate has feet that hold it up inside the frame and aligns the nuts with the holes in the frame. No problem so far.

But the nuts in the new plate look pretty big. They are. They are larger than the bolts they are replacing. The ones Body Armor supplied with the rack. So, I compare the two. Then I try to put the bolt that came with the bumper through the mounting point on the rack. No dice. The roof rack mounting plate has two holes that are too small for the bolt sent with the bumper. The bolt is supposed to go through the rack's mounting plate, through the bumper, through the frame and finally into the nut welded to the plate inside the frame. But the rack wasn't built to be compatible with the bumper (or vice versa).

I have to haul out my files and enlarge the holes on the mounting plates of the roof rack so the bolts that came with the bumper could be used. I couldn't use the smaller bolts supplied with the roof rack because the corresponding plate that goes inside the frame can't be held in position once the bumper is in place.

I got the holes on the roof rack mounting plate enlarged. I put the bumper in place. I started trying to line up holes. You've got to be kidding me. Between the roof rack, bumper and frame, I can only get two holes on each side to line up after much manipulation. I used a floor jack, hammer and brute force. Nothing is going to get those parts to line up. So, I got one of the mammoth bolts that came with the bumper in place and one of the OEM bolts into the frame. That's really more support than the stock bumper had. So, I'll live with it. Still, it seems Body Armor would make their products compatible with their products...especially when they advertise them together.

The bumper didn't come with any instructions, but they aren't really necessary.

llempart
llempart's Reviews
04-12-2012, 07:17 PM
Price: $860.00
Pros: Strong. Good mounting points for d-rings.
Cons: Does not fit 2010 Rubi right. Needs shim kit which you need to call BA to get.
Recommended? No

Comments: The price includes the bumper, tire carrier, jerry can adapters, hi-lift jack adapter, and 3rd brake light extension. I love the way it looks and it seems very strong. However, it does not fit right. There are issues when closing the tire carrier. Basically it hits the bumper every time making it harder to close as well as taking the paint off. It was much worse before I called the manufacturer and asked for a shim kit which lifts the tire carrier a bit. The problem is still there though. Also, to get it to not destroy my tailgate handle I had to grind down some of the tire carrier, taking off the powdercoat, which causes rust. I have to re-apply a coat of paint every few months. The swing arm latch is rusting. Very poor quality control. The YouTube videos demonstrating the product in showrooms do not have the same problem. Thumbs down on this BA.

Kindness

Kindness's Reviews

07-27-2011, 11:59 AM
Price: $652.00
Pros: Price - Look - Design
Cons: Kit incomplete as shipped - License Plate Registration Sticker Covered by Swing Arm
Recommended? Yes

Comments: The rear bumper and swing arm look great. I love that I got that spare 35 off my rear gate, which was squeaking like mad on every little bump in the road.

Be warned on a few points:
1) The third brake light relocation kit does not come standard , you will need to order separately or go without.
2) Body Armor is shipping the kit knowing that the swing arm shims are missing. You will need to contact them to get shims sent to you. I recommend doing this BEFORE you install sice you will need to dismantle the mechanism to insert the shims.
3) The swing arm latch welded to the bumnper covers the lower right corner of the stock license plate. In Ohio this is where the registration sticker goes. I haven't been pulled over for it yet, and hope it doesnt become an issue before i get my new sticker.