Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Armor > Bumpers > Bestop HighRock 4x4 Rear Bumper 1986-2006

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Bestop HighRock 4x4 Rear Bumper 1986-2006 Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Bumpers Next Product

Bestop HighRock 4x4 Rear Bumper 1986-2006

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $385.00
Average Price: $304.79
Manufacturer: Bestop
Recommended?
Yes: 26 / No: 3

Developed specifically for the hard core rock crawler, the HighRock 4X4™ Rear Jeep Bumper features high-access design for greater off road clearance. Optional HighRock 4X4™ SlideAway™ offers dual purpose storage and step unit. Rear Jeep bumper includes a Class 2.5 receiver hitch and easily accomodates the optional HighRock 4X4™ SlideAway™. Jeep Bumpers are no-drill applications.

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review
Page 2 of 2 1 2

stu2003
stu2003's Reviews

05-05-2008, 01:38 PM
Price: $290.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Well built. Bolted right up to my '03 TJ X. Purchased this bumper because I wanted rear shackles and integrated receiver hitch.

menoch31
menoch31's Reviews

04-04-2008, 10:36 PM
Price: $385.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Haven't installed it yet, but I can't wait

DOG2000TJ

DOG2000TJ's Reviews

01-11-2008, 09:33 AM
Pros: Heavy duty bumper, very functional
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I put this on my 2000TJ last year. It bolted right up, no issues. I have not had/seen any problems like the ones in the previous reviews.

SBG
SBG's Reviews

12-03-2007, 11:59 AM
Pros: Nice finish, tow rated
Cons: Poor fitment
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I paid $269 for mine. It should have "bolted on", but some are saying that the back edge of the bumper on the top is the issue, but the real issue is that the passenger side mounting area is the way it's suppose to be so it mounts flush, but the drivers side area is recessed about 1/8" which is what causes the contact between the bumper and the frame rail on the back. Then, what's worse is the template they give you to drill the holes if using the inboard bolts isn't 100% spot on. You WILL have to drill out the inboard holes to make sure this bumper gets its rating. I also bought frame tie ins to be sure because I ended up using washers to space the rear of the bumper from making contact with the frame so it would fit right.
This could have been an excellent product with just a few exceptions. I can recommend this bumper due to the finish and heavy duty application, but after thinking about it, I should have considered an all in one bumper with spare tire carrier.
Noob mistake.

Centennial!
Centennial!'s Reviews

06-23-2007, 09:56 AM
Pros: Looks
Cons: Open back, holes dont align with Jeep
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I posted a review in April and this is an update. After towing a small trailer carrying a basket I realize that the remaining 4 inside bolts really are needed. With only 250 lbs on the receiver, I could see it slightly flex away from the frame. I had to drill through the frame since the bumper holes didn’t align with any holes in the Jeep. Again, no biggie but cant function as advertised with out the drilling. The other “bummer” about this bumper is the back side is open behind the wheels and fills up with mud, dirt, and rocks. So, once you get back on the road/highway it starts to fall out. Not that I care but the cars behind you sure do. It’s just an un necessary flaw. Bumper still looks good.

Centennial!
Centennial!'s Reviews

04-11-2007, 06:35 PM
Pros: Looks, integrated receiver, advertised tow capacity.
Cons: Not a true bolt on, missing parts, instructions, safety chain holes.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I spent a lot of time researching bumpers and settled on the Bestop highrock because for the price and advertised capability, it seemed like a great deal. It arrived with the “L” attach points sticking through the cardboard packaging bent and the blots falling out. I opened it and did an inventory from the instructions. I had no lock washers and extra regular washers, all the blots were there. There was nothing in the instruction to indicate how the washers, bolts, and lock washers went together. Okay, it’s easy enough to figure out but so is including a schematic or the words “re assemble in this order A, B, C, D”. The old 18mm bolts were re used on the “L” bracket to the frame and two outside holes on each side lined up with the bumper holes but the inside holes on the bumper (next to the receiver) didn’t line up with anything on the Jeep. I will need to drill if I want to use them and feel like it’s a must do in order to tow. So, only 6 of the 10 holes in the bumper could be used without drilling and all are on the outside away from the receiver. I will give it a good try this summer and next fall and report back. I love the finish and it looks great!

Coyotes97
Coyotes97's Reviews

01-13-2007, 03:36 AM
Pros: Rated Towing capacity. Looks. Price.
Cons: Instructions. Not "Boxed"
Recommended? Yes

Comments: As was mentioned in the previous reviews this is not fully Boxed as in the back is open except the ends, the mounting points, and the hitch. It does seem very strong however and I am not worried about it. There is no gap with mine as was mentioned in bairy's review.

Mine ended up being back ordered and I started looking at other options because I was in a hurry. I spoke to several people in off-road shops and when I mentioned that rated towing capacity mattered to me they all advised me to wait for the Bestop. That sold me.

The instructions were pitiful. There were literally 2 steps. 1. Take the old one off. 2. Put the new one on. They elaborated a bit under each step but it was laughable. The line on how many bolts to use on TJs vs YJs was very important though. The install was so easy that anyone with the ability to install a bumper can do it without any instructions. The instructions said an hour and a half. 30 minutes, I was done. End caps off. Factory tow hook off. 4 nuts and 2 bolts off. Bumper off. New bumper in place. 6 bolts in and -- Done! Looks really nice. I really like the crinkle finish.

I went to install a ball mount to tow my utility trailer to haul a load to the dump. First, I had to grind a little metal off the ball mount (1/8") to get it in to where the holes matched up because the receiver is very shallow. Then, the pin wouldn't go into the hole from either side. That was welding slag. 10 sec with dremel and I was set!

All in all I am happy with the purchase and I would recommend it. It just wasn't quite up to the high standards I am used to from Bestop.

bairy
bairy's Reviews

01-09-2007, 10:34 PM
Price: $25.00
Pros: Cheap, good departure angle
Cons: fitment
Recommended? No

Comments: Box arrived from JCW in terrible shape. One bottom mounting tab was bent, and no lock washers or washers. Bolts were loose in the box. Fitting the bumper was a major mess. As said above, the bumper was not made properly and will not sit flat against the crossmember as they designed. This means... where the bolt goes though the crossmember and into the bumper, there is over a 1/4" gap between the bumper and crossmember when tightened! This will put major stress on the bolts. This is a serious design flaw!!!!!! I needed to grind the top part of the bumper to allow more clearance and repaint to prevent rust. Also, where the nuts were welded into the bumper, there was slag that prevented me from screwing in one bolt. I needed to use a dremel to grind it out. I alerted Bestop to the issues, but never felt like it will get anywhere.

FIT THIS BUMPER BEFORE YOU BUY. As is , it is DANGEROUS

Eric_D
Eric_D's Reviews

12-30-2006, 05:49 PM
Price: $269.00
Pros: It looks good.
Cons: It isn't "boxed." (The back side is open.)
Recommended? No

Comments: This isn't necessarily a bad bumper, but it wasn't what I expected, and I'm a little disapointed.

-I thought the price wasn't bad ($269).

-Mine did not come with any hardware. The instructions said to re-use hardware from the old bumper, but all I had were bumperettes with non-standard hardware. The instructions indicated that the bolts should be metric, which caused me some confusion. I ended up needing SAE 7/16-20 x 1-1/4".

-Though it says it fits 1986-2006, I put this on a 1993 YJ and it didn't quite fit right. None of the 4 inner bolt holes lined up, just the 4 outermost holes. There are 2 additional bolts that come up from the bottom that lined up ok. Also, the top lip of the bumper hits the end of the crossmember (causing it to not sit flat) because a small cutout doesn't extend far enough.

-The back of the bumper is open; it is not boxed. There are some mounting brackets welded to the inside with nuts welded to the back for the mounting bolts. The shackle mounts are extremely heavy though, and there is some extra metal welded in behind them.

-There is really no tie to the frame. Everything is on the crossmember. I am hesitant to haul anything heavy without some brackets tying in to the frame.

-Overall, it is better than the bumperettes that I had, but I can't say that I am really satisfied with this purchase.

Page 2 of 2 1 2