post #1 of Old 12-06-2013, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Description

The Barnes 4WD YJ Front Bumper is laser cut from 3/16" and is formed on a CNC Press Brake. This is a high clearance bumper that offers the protection that you need without getting in the way on the trail. Our bumper uses six factory mounting holes to attach the bumper to the frame. This design keeps the winch close to the grill for improved protection and low to maximize air flow. D-ring mounts are 3/4" thick welded inside and out and accept a 7/8" D-ring

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1233414_10201947515028530_276131186_n.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	898234  
post #2 of Old 12-06-2013, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I'm just copying my review I posted on the manuf's site. Wanted to share it here as well.

I picked up this bumper a couple months ago for my YJ. I was replacing a bumper that had a receiver hitch which was hurting my approach angle. This bumper has no such issues. I shaved a few pounds as well since I didn't have to run a bumper and a winch plate. Install was simple and all the holes lined up perfectly. I did make a small spacer to sit on top of the frame rail (3/16" thick) to tighten up the fit around the frame. On the trail I hardly even touched the bumper on anything which was a nice change from my old setup. The winch mount worked fine through multiple pulls, and I used the D-ring mounts a few times as well. I've got no complaints at all with this product.

post #3 of Old 04-29-2014, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Just a follow-up to my original review. The bumper is still working great but I did bend the fairlead mount I bought with the bumper pretty good this weekend. As seen in my original review post it mounts flush with the front of the bumper so the fairlead sticks out a good bit. After I got home I pulled the bumper, straightened the fairlead mount, then drilled new holes in the mount to move it back 3/4". I also added gussets on each side to reinforce the mount, then put it back together. A roller fairlead would still stick out with my mods, but my aluminum fairlead is now flush with the bumper so it is less likely to get hit, and with the gussets it is less likely to bend even if it does get hit.

post #4 of Old 11-07-2014, 08:07 PM
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Pretty much summed it up in the pro/con. I needed to get rid of a huge cow catcher bumper and this fit the bill nicely. Good approach angle and clearances. nice and beefy. The D-ring tabs were only welded on the outside so I welded them on the inside as well where they come thru the bumper.