Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Armor > Rocker Guards > Smittybilt - Smittybilt SRC Side Armor

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Smittybilt - Smittybilt SRC Side Armor Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Rocker Guards Next Product

Smittybilt - Smittybilt SRC Side Armor

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $350.00
Average Price: $253.92
Manufacturer: Smittybilt
Recommended?
Yes: 49 / No: 2
Company Website: http://www.smittybilt.com

Smittybilt SRC Side Armor

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Fireman0402
Fireman0402's Reviews
09-12-2010, 04:03 PM
Price: $135.00
Pros: I got them second hand for a great price. They look great, they double as steps, but I have yet to test them out off road.
Cons: Install is a pain in the butt. Smittybilt had no online install directions nor did they return e-mails or phone calls.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I bought these roack rails for $135 and was happy about the price and the look. Install was a pain in the butt. I did read some reviews that said they have a tendency to cave in the middle without an extra support bar welded in there when you land square in the middle. Hence why Smittybilt no longer makes the SRC, their new generation roackrails are called XRC.

95YJohn
95YJohn's Reviews
08-05-2010, 09:05 AM
Price: $250.00
Pros: sturdy, looked great at first
Cons: cheap coating, cheap install
Recommended? Yes

Comments: hardware coating faded and is now starting to chip. I recommend changing the mounting hardware to grade 8.

larubie

larubie's Reviews
07-24-2010, 03:36 PM
Price: $225.00
Pros: Thick steel
Cons: Poor finish (already rusting around welds), Poor fit, Poor packaging (arrived with lost parts, which took 6 weeks to arrive) DO NOT BUY ANYTHING SMITTYBILT!!!
Recommended? No

Comments: Poor quality, poor finish, and very poor customer service if you need to talk to Smittybilt. The last email I sent took 2 weeks to be answered. Pro Comp is a sister company of them and is also trash (Chinese) quality.

hcw3
hcw3's Reviews
07-18-2010, 11:47 PM
Price: $270.00
Pros: look great
Cons: they don't fit right, the forst set didn't the second set didn't either, bolt holes are as much as 1/4" off
Recommended? No

Comments: I received my second set of side steps today after returning the first set for poor fit. The mounting holes are almost 1/4" off on front body mount holes and about 1/8" off on the most rearward holes. You can grind out the holes to fit (actually recommended by smittybilt support)but the flange on the bolt will no longer support the step on all sides if you do that. it'll hold, but a $270 part should work AND fit.

When I called smittybilt support with the second set, I was advised that "they were having some fitment issues with the product" and either i could return them and wait a few months for a revised product or I could "make them fit".

I'm sorry, I shouldn't have been sold a product that had "fitment issues". DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT IF YOU EXPECT IT TO FIT.

gmaheu
gmaheu's Reviews
07-03-2010, 01:07 AM
Price: $240.00
Pros: look great, easy to install
Cons: need some grinding to fit properly
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I installed these bars myself in about an hour. Very easy install and they look great.

Wolf359

WOLF359
Wolf359's Reviews
06-13-2010, 09:11 PM
Price: $289.00
Pros: Held up on the John Bull Trail bolders in Big Bear Mtn in California.
Cons: Difficult to install.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: The holes are misaligned by about 1/16".. just enough so they didn't install properly. Could not ream out the holes because doing so would allow the bolt to slip through hole. I took the rails to my work's machine shop. Had the machinist mill off a little bit off one edge of the mounting holes.

These rails only mount at each end to the frame, no support in the middle. I had doubts if they would take the load of a JK 4dr but they did.... so overall.. for the price they worked... No hardcore stuff on they rails though.

ekpowell
ekpowell's Reviews
04-27-2010, 05:41 PM
Price: $300.00
Pros: Solidly built.
Cons: Bolt holes didn't exactly line up on installation.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Better protection but still maintains a good step to get up into the jeep, especially with a 3.25" lift and a 5' tall wife.

mikek3
mikek3's Reviews
04-11-2010, 12:59 PM
Price: $280.00
Pros: Looks good, easy to install, seems sturdy.
Cons: Specs may have been slightly off. Driver side took ~10 minutes to install. Passenger side need some convincing... took about 40 minutes.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I like the way these look, and were relatively easy to install. I've used a Hi-Lift jack on these, and worked perfectly. Also, I've rested on a large log with my passenger side rails. That log would have definitely bent up my body. Overall, I'd say a simple, yet effective solution for rock rails.

Yellowhammer

Yellowhammer's Reviews

03-17-2010, 12:10 PM
Price: $250.00
Pros: Very sturdy and functional and adds a unique look to the Jeep.
Cons: Mounting them requires help and patience.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I got these because true rocker guards wouldn't work with my Sahara flares that extend onto the rocker area of my Jeep. I've had these installed for about 5 months and they seem to be a pretty good investment for $250.

They are very sturdy and the finish held up through a very nasty winter. I hope it continues to hold up. They work as a step, but they tuck up under the Jeep nicely, so they don't stick really far out like a true step. However, they are wide enough to prevent door dings in parking lots.

You are not going to lose much vertical clearance because these steps don't hang much lower than the frame if you mount them correctly, but you lose side clearance around your rocker area. I have mine mounted half an inch or so under the rocker panel, not 2 or 3 inches like you see in catalogs.

Mounting them is much easier with two people and a couple of good C-clamps. Mark your holes and then drill a series of pilot holes until you can put the bolts in. This makes the process much easier.

I'm happy with this armor. I haven't seen many Jeeps with it, so I like the uniqueness of it. I recommend it so far.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3