Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Armor > Skid Plates > Skid Row Engine & Transmission skid

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Skid Row Engine & Transmission skid Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Skid Plates Next Product

Skid Row Engine & Transmission skid

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $325.00
Average Price: $230.20
Manufacturer: Skid Row
Recommended?
Yes: 53 / No: 0

These skid plates are made from 1/4" thick steel and reinforced with 1/4" angle to provide beefy protection for your engine's oil pan and your transmission. Installation is quick and easy and only requires drilling of two holes to attach the rear of our skid plate to whatever transfer case skid plate you are using. There is even an oil drain hole so that you can perform your regular maintenance without removing the skid plate. Take a look at the pictures below!

We provide carriage bolts to attach our skid plate to the transfer case skid plate. Why not use counter sunk bolts? Simply because we've had problems removing counter sunk bolts after they've been run over rocks a few times. Metal always seems to get pushed into the recessed hex. Also, once a little rust gets into the threads, getting enough torque to break them loose without stripping out the hex can be VERY difficult to say the least! We've had to drill countersunk bolts out in the past and can't say we were happy about it. By using carriage bolts the bottom is smoother than with a hex head bolt and there is a nut on top that you can get a wrench or socket onto. We've found that we like carriage bolts much better.

1997-2006 Jeep TJ Wranglers
including Rubicon and Unlimited
with Long Arm Suspensions

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 > Last »

PK1997TJ
PK1997TJ's Reviews
07-21-2013, 10:57 PM
Price: $250.00
Pros: Well made. Easy to install.
Cons: Hard to change the oil.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: This skid plate has been on my Jeep for 12 years. I have put it through some of the hardest trails in the northeast and it has saved my engine and tranny many times.

HooliMcGee
HooliMcGee's Reviews
08-07-2012, 07:31 PM
Price: $350.00
Pros: solid as a rock, hopefully more solider.
Cons: no quick way to get it off for anything deeper than an oil change, but that's inherent to the product
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Haven't bashed it yet, but I won't hesitate to do so.

NizmoTJ
NizmoTJ's Reviews
06-16-2012, 07:55 PM
Price: $260.00
Pros: Made it through moab and saved the oil pan. Covers all the vitals.
Cons: None so far
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Shipping through quadratec is better then buying direct through Skid row, and cheaper.

jkaufman_95
jkaufman_95's Reviews
04-26-2012, 12:09 AM
Price: $289.00
Pros: Easy install, good construction, easy to remove when i screwed up my transmission
Cons: none
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Good Skid, took maybe 1 1/2 hours to install, thick construction, port for oil drain. ran it over some good sized rocks and it is still in good shape

JeepZJlover
JeepZJlover's Reviews
02-20-2012, 09:17 PM
Price: $200.00
Pros: Smooths the underside, saves the oil pan from getting damaged
Cons: Its kinda heavy, it killed a little clearance
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I got a great deal on this skidplate and it seemed like an area that some good protection would be helpful for my jeep. I did some research and shopping around and the skid row skid plate is top quality it protects very well and was very easy to install. It's kind of heavy but nothin to bad it'll sit pretty steady while you get it bolted up. Id recommend it. Its kinda sucky it kills Clarence on the stock jeep a tad but it levels the belly out.

Safrican
Safrican's Reviews
01-27-2012, 04:13 PM
Pros: Easy install
Cons: Needs better hardware. The locking washers do not hold
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Very easy to install. I replaced the bolts with some Grade8 and nylock nuts. The locking washers got loose on the first dirt road i was on.

win2170fan
win2170fan's Reviews

05-24-2011, 12:51 AM
Price: $271.00
Pros: Easy Installation, fit perfectly
Cons: None
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Superior oil pan skid plate that ties into the stock transfer skid, and covers the oil pan and the transmission. End result is one long smooth surface from front of engine to the rear of the transfer case. I researched engine skid plates for months before purchasing this plate. I even visited the shop in Carlisle PA while traveling back east to look at the shop before buying the skid. Shop was a small Mom and Pop place with great people there, who stopped working to show me the plate and let me look at a Jeep in the shop with the same skid plate installed. Instructions were excellent and all holes and brackets lined up perfectly on my 1997 TJ. The engine mount nut plate worked well and fit nicely The skid plate installed in under two hours and there are no rattles or issues with fit. My stock transfer skid was bent on front lip from a previous hit, and this kink probably added 30 minutes to the installation time. While heavy, I was able to install this by myself without a lift or floor jack during the installation. Even saved on shipping charges by checking it as a second bag for my flight home. This is a well made piece of gear from a US company

Bobs jeepn
Bobs jeepn's Reviews
03-05-2011, 01:08 AM
Price: $220.00
Pros: Strong
Cons: Loss of some GC
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Does the job.

oneredxtreme
oneredxtreme's Reviews
10-21-2010, 10:50 PM
Price: $259.00
Pros: protects engine and trans
Cons: none
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Very easy to install. Gives you peace of mind when going over obstacles.

Camio
Camio's Reviews

07-02-2010, 09:29 PM
Price: $150.00
Pros: Tough, easy install
Cons: Heavy
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Very solidly constructed skid plate, would have been an easy install if my stock skid plate wasn't bent out of shape. I've scraped it over some nasty rocks in Rausch Creek with no more damage than some scraped off powdercoat.

fduncan

fduncan's Reviews
05-27-2010, 10:25 PM
Price: $360.00
Pros: WELL MADE PRODUCT
Cons: NONE
Recommended? Yes

Comments: 3/16 INCH THICK SKID PLATE. EASY INSTALL. REPLACES FACTORY "SHOVEL" TRANSMISSION SKID AND PROTECTS OIL PAN ALSO.

weasel796
weasel796's Reviews
05-25-2010, 07:46 PM
Price: $286.00
Pros: Heavy Duty and durable
Cons: Haven't found any yet
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I haven't landed on any rocks yet.. But it appears to be very heavy duty and durable. It kinda weighs a lot.. but that is to be expected since it is supposed to be able to take a beating and keep on going.

pirateat53

pirateat53's Reviews
05-20-2010, 02:31 PM
Pros: Well made..
Cons: Oil drain..not the best design
Recommended? Yes

Comments: It's been pounded on and taken a little abuse since installed and is holding up very well. Just have to get created when changing oil..but it can be done.

urstolendesire
urstolendesire's Reviews
04-04-2010, 04:01 PM
Pros: works great, holds up to alot of abuse.
Cons: changing the oil is kind of a bitch.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Skid works great, has protected from alot of different things and still havent bent it like the old one. The only downside is it makes just a little more of a mess changing oil. A fair trade-off...

Zen
Zen's Reviews
10-07-2009, 12:05 PM
Price: $200.00
Pros: Smooth bottom, strong, great coverage
Cons: haven't found any yet.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Buy it! Buy it!

SoCalJK

SoCalJK's Reviews
09-29-2009, 04:01 PM
Price: $280.00
Pros: Sturdy, Easy to install
Cons: None
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Had it on for about 2 years. No real hard knocks but holding up well.

scottman

scottman's Reviews
09-26-2009, 01:37 PM
Price: $235.00
Pros: beefy, good attachment points, powdercoated
Cons: heavy
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Great product, good instructions, no modifications to make it fit. Jacked the entire jeep up a few inches on it and no flex. I'm satisfied...

MM1Jeeper
MM1Jeeper's Reviews
07-10-2009, 12:17 PM
Pros: sturdy and easy to instal
Cons: Brackets were not powdercoated
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Great product at a great price. Can't wait to hit the rocks. Great price and great product.

Zakman

A locked & armored Sport
Zakman's Reviews
06-16-2009, 07:26 AM
Pros: Solid skid plate, good power coating, easy install
Cons: none so far.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: After all the reviews on JF, I went with the Skid Row Wngine & TC skid plate. Couldn't be any more satisfied with it.

TJwrangler4.0

TJwrangler4.0's Reviews
05-24-2009, 10:36 PM
Pros: Great fitment and protection
Cons: none other than its friggin heavy!
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Greta product! Well worth the price! You get what you pay for

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 > Last »