Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Armor > Skid Plates > Savvy Offroad - Gas Tank Skid

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Savvy Offroad - Gas Tank Skid Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Skid Plates Next Product

Savvy Offroad - Gas Tank Skid

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $319.00
Average Price: $276.43
Manufacturer: Savvy Offroad
Recommended?
Yes: 27 / No: 1
Company Website: http://www.savvyoffroad.com

- 3/16" 6061 T-6 - Dual height mounts - Installs with or without a body lift - Corrosion resistant materials - Weighs 32 pounds complete - Form fit to the tank Our skid is designed for the Jeep Wrangler 1997-2006 in both the Unlimited and TJ models. To ensure a painless installation, we have supplied all needed fasteners including new crossmember hardware, tie wraps, and push in panel fasteners to re-install the plastic wheel well liners.
This innovative skid is constructed of 3/16's thick 6061 T6 aircraft grade aluminum alloy to provide high strength with light weight. Weighing in at 32 pounds, you only suffer a 4 pound weight penalty when compared to the 03 and up factory skid. The dual height mounting flanges are made from high quality HRPO steel that has been laser cut and clear zinc plated for corrosion resistance. Whether installed at the lower height with no body lift or the raised position when used with a min. 1" body lift, the skid provides the maximum clearance possible. Our unique stainless steel tank straps keep the tank secured in the skid to protect your delicate emissions and fuel lines from contact with the bottom of the tub. We combined rolled front and back corners with a formed dimple with gradual transitions for the fuel sump to reduce hang-ups on the trails. As with all Savvy Off Road products these are designed for extreme off road use only.

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review
Page 2 of 2 1 2

glockster

glockster's Reviews
11-22-2010, 12:08 AM
Price: $300.00
Pros: more clearance, stronger, easy install
Cons: none
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Very well designed product. It allows more clearance with a body lift than any other GTS I am aware of. Installation was straight forward and everyything fit with no surprises. All new hardware is included for those that live in the rust belt. No worries if some fasteners are broken or stripped during removal.

jeepwrangler97

jeepwrangler97's Reviews

07-26-2010, 11:47 PM
Price: $280.00
Pros: Lightweight, no rust worries, strong, tight fit, much more clearance.
Cons: None that I can think of
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I needed more clearance for my 8.8 and I have more room between the diff and gas tank now. I also installed a 1"BL with mine and gained more clearance, great skid, great fit. I haven't had it wheeling yet, but doubt I will have any troubles.

SuperWade2

More Money than Brains
SuperWade2's Reviews
04-16-2010, 02:28 PM
Price: $320.00
Pros: Light Weight, Better Clearance
Cons: NONE, it's nearly Perfect
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Love It!

ElConq
ElConq's Reviews
03-29-2010, 12:31 PM
Price: $319.00
Pros: Low profile, Lightweight when compared with steel skids
Cons: none at the moment
Recommended? Yes

Comments: This is an easy install. Plenty of hardware. Clear and well written instructions.

Of course it helps that on the 1999s all of the fuel & electrical connections are in the drivers rear wheel well. No need to drop the tank part way to remove the connections on top of the tank as in later year models.

'Rust Belt' jeeps will need plenty of PB on the front 3 bolts. I sprayed every other day for the week prior and still had 1 of the 3 seized frum rust. I ended up lowering the tank a bit to open a gap to access the bolt and used a mini hacksaw to remove the bolt. The rear 4 were a easy to access.

dendrophobe

dendrophobe's Reviews
12-29-2009, 08:00 PM
Price: $279.00
Pros: Lightweight, well built, tough, looks awesome
Cons: None
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I've never bought a product for my Jeep that was better made, fit better, or gave such piece of mind as this skid. If you manage to make it fail (which you won't) they'll replace it. The tolerances are very tight, it's very tough, and it saves around 2" of clearance over stock. And with the aluminum weight, it's no heavier than the stock skid!

theducksguts

theducksguts's Reviews
11-26-2009, 11:00 AM
Price: $265.00
Pros: Really Light Weight, Stout, takes a serious beating. Rust resistant. Easy install, cleans up well. Two settings for jeeps with or without body lifts. Allows extra clearance. Looks great.
Cons: I honestly can't think of any. Maybe that it's not free?
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I bought the Savvy Skid because I live in WI/MN and rust resistant makes sense for me. I liked the fact that it was light weight and that also had me interested.

I waited a while until other early adopters had tested theirs out. It takes the rocks really well, and the aluminum kind of deadens the impact sound and rattle which is nice too. It has held up to some serious punishment.

Boodyrider
Boodyrider's Reviews
11-01-2009, 01:00 AM
Price: $270.00
Pros: Light weight, decent price, good protection
Cons: not coated
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Full replacement gas tank skid. I got 4 gallons capacity back in my tank when I lost the deformed stock tank 'skid'. Weighs FAR less than steel options, only about 5 pounds over stock. Easy install. Wish it were available coated, but it's not like aluminum is gonna rust. Nice not to have to repaint scrapes after every trip. Seems at least as strong as any steel skid.

Russ Chung

Russ Chung's Reviews

10-28-2009, 12:55 AM
Price: $279.00
Pros: Lightweight and very durable. Also looks great.
Cons: None noted.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: The main selling point of this gas tank skid is that it is made of T6061 Aluminum, so it weighs only four pounds more than the factory gas tank skid, yet it is much stronger than the factory skid. Other steel gas tank skids often weigh 30 pounds more. I've had it on several black diamond trails (John Bull, Nightmare Gulch, Last Chance Canyon) and although there are some scratches, there are no dents.

Page 2 of 2 1 2