Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Armor > Skid Plates > Savvy Offroad - Gas Tank Skid

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Savvy Offroad - Gas Tank Skid Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Skid Plates Next Product

Savvy Offroad - Gas Tank Skid

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $319.00
Average Price: $277.85
Manufacturer: Savvy Offroad
Recommended?
Yes: 28 / No: 1
Company Website: http://www.savvyoffroad.com

- 3/16" 6061 T-6 - Dual height mounts - Installs with or without a body lift - Corrosion resistant materials - Weighs 32 pounds complete - Form fit to the tank Our skid is designed for the Jeep Wrangler 1997-2006 in both the Unlimited and TJ models. To ensure a painless installation, we have supplied all needed fasteners including new crossmember hardware, tie wraps, and push in panel fasteners to re-install the plastic wheel well liners.
This innovative skid is constructed of 3/16's thick 6061 T6 aircraft grade aluminum alloy to provide high strength with light weight. Weighing in at 32 pounds, you only suffer a 4 pound weight penalty when compared to the 03 and up factory skid. The dual height mounting flanges are made from high quality HRPO steel that has been laser cut and clear zinc plated for corrosion resistance. Whether installed at the lower height with no body lift or the raised position when used with a min. 1" body lift, the skid provides the maximum clearance possible. Our unique stainless steel tank straps keep the tank secured in the skid to protect your delicate emissions and fuel lines from contact with the bottom of the tub. We combined rolled front and back corners with a formed dimple with gradual transitions for the fuel sump to reduce hang-ups on the trails. As with all Savvy Off Road products these are designed for extreme off road use only.

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review
Page 1 of 2 1 2 > Last

Ridgerunner19
Ridgerunner19's Reviews
09-20-2014, 02:27 PM
Price: $317.68
Pros: Light weight, protective, easy install
Cons: None
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Very impressed with this product. Installation was a breeze all by my lonesome. Protection looks to be solid. Offers more clearance than many other fuel skids. If I decide to go with a tummy tuck (you know I will), it's going to be a Savvy modular and I'll go with the entire package.

4wdjeepguy

4wdjeepguy's Reviews

07-14-2014, 09:25 AM
Price: $300.00
Pros: Light Weight, Adds Ground Clearance
Cons: Poor Fitment
Recommended? No

Comments: Light weight unit. Adds an inch of ground clearance. However, the pieces don't exactly fit together and may require some massaging by the end user to make it work. Also, the mounting holes will off set the skid to the driver's side and cause the skid to press against the cross member. Would have liked a non adjustable skid for use with a body lift only. Strength provided by the carriage bolts that hold the pieces together is questionable. If I had to do it again, I'd probably go a different route.

tj4roks
tj4roks's Reviews
07-11-2014, 10:51 PM
Price: $280.00
Pros: Great fit. Quality construction. Raises tank 1"+
Cons: None
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Great fit. Quality construction. Raises tank 1"+

bmxrules39

bmxrules39's Reviews
06-10-2014, 10:10 PM
Pros: Easy install, very nice welds, and makes more room for axle.
Cons: None other than the price
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Great part, easy to install, and tough as nails!

Powrjunkey

Powrjunkey's Reviews

05-22-2013, 05:15 PM
Price: $400.00
Pros: Beautiful, lightweight, strong, condom fit with gas tank, and added clearance.
Cons: Beautiful, condom fit with gas tank.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I installed this with my gas tank half full, with the help of my wife. didnt drop the tank, but the install went smoothly enough. I was terrified that I was going to crush fuel lines while raising into position, but after install, no leaks and the jeep runs and drives.

ChiliPep99
ChiliPep99's Reviews
05-17-2013, 03:47 PM
Price: $350.00
Pros: Well built!
Cons: none
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Easy install & great customer service

jmhall79
jmhall79's Reviews
02-06-2013, 10:55 PM
Price: $329.00
Pros: Great construction and fit, couldnt ask for a better product.
Cons: Nada
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Fantastic Product. Great fit and finish. Simple install. The best skid on the market period.

Trisalsa

Trisalsa's Reviews
11-12-2012, 08:28 PM
Price: $320.00
Pros: Thick aluminum, light weight, easy to install
Cons: None at this point
Recommended? Yes

Comments: First upgrade to the jeep after the old, stock skid plate rotted out. Tank fit in like a glove and the whole the bolted back up without any modifications.

DevilDogDoc
DevilDogDoc's Reviews
11-10-2012, 10:51 AM
Price: $1.00
Pros: Solid product that weighs next to nothing
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Love the GTS, well made and thoughtfully designed, tucks up nicely with the BL has taken more than a few hits with nothing but scratches to show for it....

StuddMuffinz
StuddMuffinz's Reviews

10-22-2012, 02:20 PM
Price: $270.00
Pros: Lightweight. Aluminum. Dual-Mount Positions. What more do you want
Cons: .
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Easy enough to install. Just drop your tank, peel it out of the old skid, plunk it in the shiny one, and bolt it back up. Easy as that. Love dual mounting positions, gained almost two inches up, as well as some more space behind the rear diff. Went to bang it up a bit offroad, and hardly ever even hit it. And thats on 31's. Leaves nothing to be desired. Great product.

rhino35350
rhino35350's Reviews
08-19-2012, 01:13 PM
Pros: Aluminum!
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Dented the stock skid so I figured it was time to upgade. Savvy GTS is much tougher and I have it in the raised position to gain an extra inch of clearance with the body lift

RaggedOleMan

RaggedOleMan's Reviews
11-21-2011, 02:46 PM
Price: $50.00
Pros: Easy to install, just remember to do it when your gas tank is nearly empty! And be very careful unhooking the fuel pump leads... Light weight, and it gave me 1-3/4" additional ground clearance as opposed to the stock skid.
Cons: Can't think of any "con's".
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I got this directly from Blaine Johnson in trade for my "helper" labors on a few projects he was working on. This particular skid was an early prototype of Savvy's. Easy to install, it's lightweight and gave me an additional 1-3/4" of ground clearance. No maintenance...it does what it's supposed to do and doesn't give me any grief. I like that...

greenglazier
greenglazier's Reviews
11-13-2011, 12:09 AM
Price: $329.00
Pros: great pruduct,really easy to install,great design.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: i waited so long to get this skid but it was worth the waiting installation was really easy and straight foward great product dont even think buying somewhere else.

mike_dippert

hodophobic
mike_dippert's Reviews
10-26-2011, 11:15 AM
Price: $319.00
Pros: Aluminum = light, adjustable height, very strong.
Cons: tons of bolts
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I want to keep my LJ light. When I heard mrblaine designed this, I didn't doubt it wouldn't be just as strong as the Rokmen I had on my old Jeep, but at the same weight as the factory skid. It comes with new tie straps for the tank. It has 2 install levels, depending if you have a 1.25" BL or not. The only problem is the tolerances are so tight that it's difficult to get all the bolts started. Get a powered ratchet if you're changing the levels, it'll save you a lot of time.

Richierich1105

Richierich1105's Reviews
06-03-2011, 06:26 AM
Price: $330.00
Pros: Lightweight compared to steel more clearance especially with a body lift and there's two sets of mounting holes if you don't have a body lift but decide to do one later
Cons:  None
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Awesome craftmanship all the holes lined up perfect. getting the tank in was the only hard part but with a lill grease it went right in

mpoo1083
mpoo1083's Reviews
04-21-2011, 10:27 PM
Price: $1.00
Pros: everything about it
Cons: nothing at all
Recommended? Yes

Comments: installed this along with UCF aluminum skids and body lift/motor mount lift. installed it at its highest adjustment and love it. it looks great and can take a beating. first time out with it installed, the rear of the jeep dropped about 3-4 feet onto a pointed rock and you have to look extremely hard to see where it hit. this will never be removed from the jeep and if i ever had to get another one, this would be it

UncleWilson

UncleWilson's Reviews
04-18-2011, 10:20 AM
Price: $330.00
Pros: Easy Assembly, Good Looking Product, Light Weight, Easy Instilation. Also, Customer Service from these guys is great. Phone calls and PM's answered very quick.
Cons: Can't think on any
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Wish I had gotten it earlier!

robbijer
robbijer's Reviews
03-28-2011, 01:06 PM
Price: $350.00
Pros: Aluminium and great fit
Cons: None yet
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I did not receive instructions but was able to get them from Savvy's web site. Install went pretty well, only difficult part is disconnecting all of the fuel, and smog lines. I have not (tested) the skid yet but I expect it will hold up. I also have a body lift so I gained 1" of ground clearance under the new skid.

dwish

dwish's Reviews
03-16-2011, 07:34 PM
Pros: Very strong, heavier than stock skid (which is weird, because it's made out of aluminum...but it is MUCH thicker than the stock skid, and MUCH stronger). All hardware is included. Perfect fit. Packaged well.
Cons: No smokescreen option to harass tailgaters.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: You can tell right away that this is a quality skid plate. I have heard that Savvy would not put out anything they didn't have complete confidence in. As soon as I opened the box, I believed it. My 2004 gas tank fit right in. "You may have to push it down with some authority ensure the tank is fully seated in the skid." I thought that line was pretty funny. The directions are very thorough and helpful. Plenty of color pictures to guide you through the removal of the old tank and skid, and even more to guide you through putting your new Savvy skid on. I only have one complaint -- I didn't get a sticker with my skid to proudly display Savvy. :-(

jcook793

Hi Mom
jcook793's Reviews
02-05-2011, 11:52 PM
Price: $269.00
Pros: It's the best skid plate ever made
Cons: It will outlast my Jeep
Recommended? Yes

Comments: This is probably my favorite addition to the Jeep. That is a weird thing to say about a gas tank skid.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 > Last