Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Armor > Skid Plates > Rusty's Offroad JS-TJ10 TJ Engine/Tranny Skid Plate

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Rusty's Offroad JS-TJ10 TJ Engine/Tranny Skid Plate Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Skid Plates Next Product

Rusty's Offroad JS-TJ10 TJ Engine/Tranny Skid Plate

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $160.00
Average Price: $147.22
Manufacturer: Rusty's Offroad
Recommended?
Yes: 7 / No: 2

Damage from Rocks, Stumps and logs can kill a great trail ride. Protect your engine oil pan, transmission and exhaust with Rusty's skid plate. Mounting brackets are manufactured of 3/8 steel and the plate is 3/16. This skid plate is bolt-on , no drilling is necessary. It will fit with or without a lift and doesn't interfere with the driveshaft. Comes complete with hardware and instructions.

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review

DesertPatrol
DesertPatrol's Reviews
09-02-2009, 12:39 PM
Price: $1.00
Pros: nice protection
Cons: hangs down a couple extra inches
Recommended? Yes

Comments: this came with my Jeep, I really like it for running in the desert, but don't think it would last very long on rocks

noise_maker

noise_maker's Reviews
06-22-2009, 10:07 PM
Price: $260.00
Pros: Sturdy as heck, priced reasonably, will work with or with out a lift.
Cons: finish comes off rather easy, oil drain in the wrong place for 2000 TJ 4.0, heavy
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I'm low slung for the moment and I have beat the piss out of this and except the finish is (and the new drain hole I had to make) is just like the day I bought it.

jcook793

Hi Mom
jcook793's Reviews
05-18-2009, 10:21 PM
Price: $100.00
Pros: Cheap - got it on sale because it was unpainted/rusted (Rusty's ha!)
Cons: Makes changing the oil harder. The hole doesn't line up with the drain plug very well.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Overall it's OK - I'll go aluminum when Savvy makes one

Trombino

Trombino's Reviews

07-04-2008, 07:11 AM
Price: $150.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Good product and definitely beefy at 3/16". No problems so far, except for a pain changing the oil.

breckboarder55

Web Wheeler
breckboarder55's Reviews

06-01-2008, 11:46 PM
Price: $156.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Nice protection, beefy. Took four phone calls to get every thing I ordered. Its a nice product for sure, however it sat in the shipping department for over a week and a half before it was sent out. They also forgot to include other items with shipment... Otherwise fair. Appears strong and beefy.

mferrari

DelmarvaOffroad.com
mferrari's Reviews

10-14-2007, 11:51 PM
Price: $160.00
Pros: Looks decent?
Cons: Cheap, Not Strong, Hits DS, Hits Exhaust
Recommended? No

Comments: Eff Rusty's!!!!

Terrible, Terrible, Terrible product!!! Looks like that after 4 trail rides... Called to complain after first ride when it bowed and Rusty's reply was "impossible, we are stronger the skid row". Well I have seen first hand that is wrong!!!

Waste of money, great if you only wheel on sand and never will come in contact with anything!!

mudmonkey2400

mudmonkey2400's Reviews

04-23-2007, 02:39 PM
Price: $160.00
Pros: Probably the cheapest full engine skid out there. Looks plenty sturdy.
Cons: Many people (me included) gripe that the bracket rubs the exhaust. Doesn't come pre-drilled.
Recommended? No

Comments: I only had this skid on my Jeep for about a month, because i went with LA's (which won't work with this skid).

The bracket did just barely touch the head pipe on the exhaust and make quite a bit of noise/vibration. According to others here on Jeepforum, I wasn't the only one.

Also, the holes for the brace do not come drilled. First, you undo your lower control arms at the frame end so you can put the bracket on, then tighten it down. Next, you have to jack the skid up with a floor jack or use a buddy so you can put the bolts in for the TC skid. Then jack it up so it touches the mounting bracket, being sure to line-up the skid on the bracket. The instructions then reccommend you spray some paint from the top side of the skid, to mark the holes you need to drill. Even with the MML, a can of spray paint barely fits in there. (the holes in the bracket are already there, but there are none on the skid) Then, undo the bolts at the TC skid, jack it back down, drill your two holes, and jack it back up into place so you can finally put it on.
Rusty's advertises this to be a bolt-on, no drill install.

Why in the world they couldn't measure and drill the two there at the factory, I don't know. I know all Jeeps are different, but that is rediculous! Rusty's should have just made the holes elongated, or allow the customer to modify them.

It also took about 6 weeks to get the skid.

On a good note, the bracket seems more than adequate to support the weight of the Jeep.

Fyrflie

Fyrflie's Reviews

08-08-2006, 09:00 PM
Price: $159.00
Pros: Great Protection to engine and tranny; Low cost.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: This skid plate did exactly what the description said. Protected the oil pan and tranny.
After two days on the Rubicon Trail it held up just fine. Contact was made with at least four rocks and the skid plate only suffered some minor scratches to the powder coat.
The design also allowed extreme flexing of the front end without any driveline contact to the support brackets.
Best of all, the skid plate and supports are super easy to install.
At $159, you can't afford not to have one of these.