Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Armor > Skid Plates > Rusty's Off-Road Products Rusty's Radiator Skid-TJ

RCI FUEL CELL BRACKET - Perfect for the back of your JeepARTEC LABOR DAY SALE - 15% offNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Rusty's Off-Road Products Rusty's Radiator Skid-TJ Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Skid Plates Next Product

Rusty's Off-Road Products Rusty's Radiator Skid-TJ

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $60.00
Average Price: $57.50
Manufacturer: Rusty's Off-Road Products
Recommended?
Yes: 9 / No: 1

"After putting the lift and all of our skids on our TJ, we thought there was no way for any under carriage damage. Well we were wrong, crossing a sage field with small trees in it we noticed the water temp gauge going up. After stopping to check it out we found a tree limb stuck in the bottom of the plastic radiator. To fix that from ever happening again we designed the radiator skid. The Rusty’s Radiator Skid Plate is completely bolt-on, built of 1/8” steel and powder coated black for a great look. Get Rusty’s radiator skid to prevent something similar ruining your off road trip."
http://rustysoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=JS-TJ88&Category_Code=tj_skid

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review

win2170fan
win2170fan's Reviews

06-17-2011, 01:45 AM
Price: $60.00
Pros: Easy installation Full Coverage
Cons: Close to Pitmand Arm
Recommended? No

Comments: Excellent Radiator Skid plate. Well designed for maximum coverage of lower radiator tank. Bolts have a tab that allows insertion into a blind hole in frame rails. No instructions were provided, but this is a simple installation. Much easier to install than expected. Well engineered and thought out product.

vbohannon64
vbohannon64's Reviews
03-06-2011, 09:08 AM
Pros: Good fit. More protection than skid row for the same price.
Cons: None yet
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Good fit. Seems to be holding up well the past 3 months. Saved me when I slid onto a tree. Cheap insurance to give you confidence on the trail.

SeaSick

SeaSick's Reviews
05-16-2009, 02:22 AM
Rustys Radiator Skid
Price: $50.00
Pros: Cheap skid that covers an overlooked necessity to the motor, good design.
Cons: Aligning the skid with the 2 bolts in the frame is a little tedious. Paint chipped off while install.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Very happy with the skid, wasn't sure which one I wanted to buy at first, Rustys or Skid Rows. But Rustys provides so much more coverage area then to its rival Skid Row`s version. Hardest part of the install was aligning the skid with the two bolts that go into frame, along with my the steering brace right there. But once it was in, it was mounted very solid. Comes close to the drop pit arm, but does clear it with no issues. Definitely a great addition to the list of skids that can be done. Every offroader should not overlook this especially when its 50 clams.

BENGRFF
BENGRFF's Reviews

08-01-2008, 09:23 PM
Price: $50.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Decent product, cheap insurance. Feel better knowing that something is protecting my radiator.

Ichabod1960

Have Jeep, Will Travel
Ichabod1960's Reviews

07-04-2008, 12:58 AM
Pros: No Drill, Easy Installation.
Cons: None
Recommended? Yes

Comments: This skid has the most coverage of any of the currently available radiator skids. Easy installation, no drilling necessary. Don't waste your time with the other radiator skids, this is the one to get.

Michael_K

Michael_K's Reviews

11-10-2007, 12:37 AM
Pros: Cheap insurance and large coverage that is isolated away from the radiator.
Cons: side mounting bolts can come loose with time.
Recommended? Yes

Comments:

I like it and it is pretty beefy and covers a lot of areas compared to others on the market.

Here is the write up for the simple installation.
http://www.dailydriventj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=471

HTH,

Michael K.

commodore_dude

commodore_dude's Reviews

07-26-2007, 06:42 PM
Pros: Better coverage than other radiator skids
Cons: Bit of a pain to install
Recommended? Yes

Comments: For some reason mine looks different than the picture and apparently than everyone else has (No Rusty's name burned through it) but appears to have about the same amount of coverage. Almost lost one of the bolts into the frame which would have been bad, you have to be careful with that during installation. Also took a bit of working to get it to install over the steering hardware (didn't have to turn the wheel left or right like the first reviewer mentioned though) but I can see air between the hardware and the skid so hopefully it'll be good.

Fast shipping, ordered on Saturday, received on Tuesday!

SpitNine
SpitNine's Reviews

01-24-2007, 10:52 AM
Pros: Most protection compared to other radiator skids
Cons: Mine wouldn't fit until I enlarged the big center hole.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Rated "9" only for protection since I do have a concern that a small stick can get through the "Rusty's" name burned through the skid.
Ask me how I know what a single small stick can do to a radiator.
Since I had to modify the skid to fit my '03 Wrangler, I would rate the skid "good" overall.
In any case, it's cheap insurance.

dennylou1
dennylou1's Reviews

01-20-2007, 09:32 AM
Pros: Godd coverage, easy install
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Certainly not a first priority type skid, but for the price, it is cheap insurance. Very easy install, well made.

grogie

M-F: Cell Block #4533
grogie's Reviews

12-29-2006, 01:03 PM
Pros: Protects the bottom, as well as something from coming up and hitting the front.
Cons: Steering is a bit tight when installed, but fits perfectly.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: After having to replace the radiator on my less then a year old '06 TJ (oops!)... I ordered Rusty's Radiator Skid. This skid is well built, and it not only protects the bottom of the radiator, but also something from coming up from below and hitting the front of the radiator. During the install, I was amazed at how exposed the radiator was!

The install was fairly easy. It took about twenty minutes once I figured out that I had to turn the steering wheel all the way to the left, then to the right, to get the skid to fit in place (the steering was in the way if the wheel is straight).

The picture below is with the wheels straight. The steering is super close to the skid, but the skid does clear everything and it fits perfectly.