Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Engine > Carburetors > Redline Weber 38/38 Outlaw K-551-38

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Redline Weber 38/38 Outlaw K-551-38 Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Carburetors Next Product

Redline Weber 38/38 Outlaw K-551-38

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

Average Price: $345.22
Manufacturer: Redline Weber
Recommended?
Yes: 18 / No: 0

2 barrel carburetor

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review

Ruthless1

Ruthless1's Reviews
08-08-2014, 01:35 PM
Price: $344.00
Pros: I'll post a better opinion after I run it for a while
Cons: just got it so, got to give it a while
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I just got it. Ordered it from Tom at Redline, who was very helpful. Paid the $344 for the 551-38, factory air cleaner adapter and a jet kit.

CurtG
CurtG's Reviews
07-13-2014, 02:52 PM
Price: $300.00
Pros: great ran on install
Cons: none
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Great

Get your Weber's from redline Ask for Tom

BozCJ7
BozCJ7's Reviews
04-24-2014, 07:58 PM
Price: $100.00
Pros: Awesome Upgrade
Cons: None
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Put on the 38 after the 4.0 headswap and WOW! replaced a 32/36..

cwig12
cwig12's Reviews
04-07-2014, 04:32 AM
Price: $279.00
Pros: Easy installation. Great upgrade over my old Carter BBD, big power upgrades in my case and instant reaction time when I hit the gas.
Cons: Not a big one and an easy fix, no adapter for the throttle return spring so I fabricated one with a bent piece of metal at a 90 degree angle.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Base price of kit is $279 + Viton Needle and seat $19.80 + Air Filter Adapter $33 = $332 at Carbs Unlimited
Dual out fuel filter runs $5 + shipping = $10 total from Morris 4x4
$342 total on my upgrade

I got my kit from Carbs Unlimited over the phone, and they put everything together for me and knew what was compatible. This kit is very straight forward and of great quality, Genuine as well. My fuel economy went up as did the power of my Jeep. I got the adapter to run my stock air filter assembly as well. I recommend a Viton Needle and Seat coupled with the Dual out fuel filter negating the need for a Fuel Pressure Regulator and this helps on inclines as well, takes 10 min to swap in the needle and seat. I use this setup and am glad I took the advice of others. I am just about 400 or so feet above sea level so my Weber 38 worked out of the box, every 1k or so above sea level I have read you will need to swap out Jet sizes. Do your research before you start ordering parts so you get it all in 1 package at one time, makes life easier.

melancholy35

melancholy35's Reviews
10-15-2013, 12:06 AM
Price: $499.00
Pros: Performance
Cons: Tuning
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Good power and performance

BagusJeep

Web Wheeler
BagusJeep's Reviews

03-05-2013, 02:01 AM
Price: $540.00
Pros: Works well, as advertised
Cons: Bali is not the cheapest place to get anything
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I persevered with the Carter BBD for 5 years and then the accelerator pump fell apart, the end fell off the plunger and did not want to stay put. It was running poorly and I was tired of defending it.

Bonus time came around and I treated myself to parts from Weber Performance in Australia. They do not stock the "kit" for the CJ 258 as that is a peculiarly American product. We measured and hummed and harred and eventually the adapters for a Stromberg carb were supplied with the 38 DGMS and throttle linkage kit and a Redline air filter.

There is a Free Trade Agreement between Australia and Malaysia so I had the kit shipped to KL and then hand carried it to Bali. Shipping is also cheaper from Australia, so it worked out about the same as shipping from USA and paying 50% import duties.

It arrived in 5 days, but the filter had been squashed. WP sent a replacement after a week.

The install was pretty easy apart from the supplied Allen head bolts for the adapter. This was a Redline product. No tool could be found in metric or imperial which fit them. Eventually a screwdriver was jammed in to them to fasten them down. These four bolts were the only part that I found to be poor.

The gaskets were not a great fit, they hung out into the airway and partially obstructed the carb to adapter mounting. Trimming with scissors cured this.

The bolts holding the adapter down were too short to use the phenolic spacer which had been under the BBD. This was a pity as it is there to slow down heat transmisison etc. I may get some longer bolts but unsure of size and pitch.

The carb went on easily and the throttle linkage modified to fit. This is a RHD vehicle so the carb has to be mounted 180 degrees from where it would be on a LHD such that the throttle cable is correct. This means the fuel inlet is on the opposite side to the fuel supply. The fuel supply was routed round the carb.

It is critical on CJs that the 3 way fuel filter is retained to bleed off vapours back to the tank. I retained this and the mechanical pump and have encountered no problems.

The supplied air filter was the Redline open one. This is not great and I would have preferred the original TAC system, sadly missing from my CJ. There is an adapter apparently to retain the TAC and this would have been a much much better option. Never mind, at least it filters and bolted on fine.

It has the manual choke and the choke cable purchased seperately was easy to fit. I chose one as i prefer to have control over the choke.

When fitting the trick is to ascertain how far the curb idle screw can be turned before the butterflies open past the progression circuit. Keep it below and it will idle properly.

When fitted it started first time after 2 seconds and ran sweet with no adjustment.

Starting from cold is instantaneous on full choke, a pity as the oil pressure has not built in the lifters and they clatter.

When hot it may take a bit of churning. Not sure why yet.

Running it is a dream, she runs sweet and plenty of power. Fuel is not measured here, it is only $2.00 a gallon.

Overall I am very happy with the carb, reasonably happy with the rest of the kit, mildly disappointed with the filter and very disappointed in the four bolts.

Just about to order the same kit again for the other CJ.

razor2264

razor2264's Reviews
09-08-2012, 01:33 AM
Price: $400.00
Pros: great power!
Cons: hard to tune for beginners
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Good Carb for some extra power. be sure to purchase the jet kit!! you will need it.

ttm
ttm's Reviews
05-22-2012, 06:05 PM
Price: $320.00
Pros: VERY quick delivery, tom at redline was very helpfull, easy install, CJ started right up idled amazingly well right out of the box
Cons: , you will have to make a return spring mount (not that it is a con just thought i should mention it for someone buying
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I may upgrade to excellent, but I have not had a chance to see if I get decent mpg out of it yet, i have heard mixed reviews and ran into a fellow while filling up him saying he is getting 12mpg out of his weber on a 258 6cyl manual like mine

jnblkjp
jnblkjp's Reviews
02-18-2012, 07:57 PM
Price: $299.00
Pros: great out of the box.
Cons: throttle linkage a pain.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: .

grocerw
grocerw's Reviews
01-12-2012, 11:18 AM
Price: $329.99
Pros: good, easy installation and tune
Cons: no product information on available jets
Recommended? Yes

Comments: product is a direct bolt after market carb, instruction and fit are very straight forward. carb is very easy to adjust, and adds a noticable boost to any stock motor and can be upgraded to get the most out of anymotor improvements

spottedfrog
spottedfrog's Reviews
12-24-2011, 10:55 PM
Price: $400.00
Pros: easy to work on, parts readily available. It was new. I like the electric choke.
Cons: Poor throttle spring linkage design. Encourages binding in both of 2 optional configurations.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I would recommend this because new parts for new parts the cost is comparable to the Carter BBD. The weber seems to have the edge in tunability. I like the electric choke. It was relatively easy to set up. I did have to adjust the spacers because they were not smooth on the mating surfaces. also the bores could use some modification as they are not a smooth transition either between them selves or the manifold. Easy fix with sand paper, emery cloth, and a dremal.
The throttle linkage wanted to bind in both of the 2 optional configurations. Also in the standard (use on the Jeep linkage) version the spring would not close the throttle fully.
I fixed the linkage problems by making my own adapter, works awesome now.

CALOcruiser

CALOcruiser's Reviews
08-12-2011, 06:53 AM
Price: $389.00
Pros: Easy installation, easy to find parts.
Cons: Not all parts are machined and adjusted to the tolerance I would expect. Takes some tweaking.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Great carb so far. I'm still trying to get it tuned correctly for my application, but that's part of it.

MosesYJ

MosesYJ's Reviews
07-06-2011, 12:23 AM
Price: $330.00
Pros: dosent stall, runs like a raped ape
Cons: pedal is quite stiff but its prolly something i did
Recommended? Yes

Comments: ordered from weber carbs direct, got here in 2 DAYS, well packed i also ordered the holley cfm, easy install with detailed instructions and legible English , runs great now that installed and definetly gave me more power/ torque

fran87yj
fran87yj's Reviews
03-06-2011, 10:07 AM
Price: $336.00
Pros: Hp is great along with throttle response
Cons: Fuel effIence in not so great with 35s and my driving style
Recommended? Yes

Comments: This is a great product. Easy install with great outcomes. Better HP, great acceleration, no flat spots. Slight decrease in fuel eff. Some to do with my driving style thus far. I am happy to have some power for the first time since starting my rebuild.

vicker
vicker's Reviews
08-21-2010, 10:54 PM
Price: $369.00
Pros: more power/better fuel economy
Recommended? Yes

Comments: love this carb!! big improvements in power and some improvements in fuel economy over the stock carb. highly recommended. installation instructions were good but be sure to label every hose as it comes off. you dont need a fuel regulator. just order a viton need and seat and change out the original before you install it. the viton needle and seat allows the weber carb to easily handle the slightly higher fuel pressure the stock pump puts out. if you get this carb you will not be dissapointed.

dtn8tr

Web Wheeler
dtn8tr's Reviews
05-21-2010, 08:39 PM
Price: $125.00
Pros: Easy to install and setup, got my idle back.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I picked my kit up used off craigslist and was able to install it along with a Holley pressure regulator in an evening. The installation and setup instructions that I downloaded from the website were clear and concise and there was a noticeable improvement in throttle response. I coupled this with the Nutter bypass and my YJ runs great. I'm getting 17-18 mpg and I'm content with that. I would highly recommend this even at full price for anybody looking to replace there stock carb.

Tephladon
Tephladon's Reviews

10-14-2009, 05:08 PM
Price: $479.00
Pros: Noticeable HP gains. Design cleans up engine space. Reduces amount of vacuum lines. Better fuel mileage. Very easy to setup. Good instructions
Cons: It's still a carburetor
Recommended? Yes

Comments: With my old carter I could barely maintain 70 mph in 5th gear on the highway. With this carburetor upgrade alone I maintain 70 mph and then some. Even climbs light grades at speed without so much as a hiccup.

gallagher11590
gallagher11590's Reviews
09-06-2009, 11:52 PM
Price: $375.00
Pros: can really feel how mcuh more power you have a lower speeds.Was worth every penny
Cons: even worst gas milage
Recommended? Yes

Comments: greattt