Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Engine > Internal Parts > Mobil Mobil-1 Synthetic Oils

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Mobil Mobil-1 Synthetic Oils Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Internal Parts Next Product

Mobil Mobil-1 Synthetic Oils

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $45.00
Average Price: $22.69
Manufacturer: Mobil
Recommended?
Yes: 23 / No: 1

I have use these oils countless times in a variety of applications and viscosities. I currenty run 5-30W Truck and SUV in my 4.0L WJ with great results.

I switched from dinosuar oil to synthetic around 70,000 miles and since have gone about 20,000. I did not experience any leaks and I have noticed easier cold weather starts and slightly (about 1 mpg) better efficiency.

This oil is not cheap but it runs quiet and I always go about 4000-5000 miles on a change. While I don't know much about the Mobil 15,000 miles oils, I do know that synthetic in general has better resistance to wear/heat/breakdown and i feel comfortable pushing past 3,000 a bit.

Sum-Up:
Not a cheap oil by any means, but It runs great cold and hot.
Upon the switch to synthetic I experienced NO leaks!
Engine runs quiet, smooth, and efficiently.
If all goes well this better oil should allow me to hit my 300,000 mile goal.

HTH!

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review
Page 1 of 2 1 2 > Last »

TexJeepTJ

TexJeepTJ's Reviews
10-24-2011, 10:23 PM
Price: $35.00
Pros: Mobile-1 has been hands-down my oil of choice for decades. Every vehicle I've had that I ran M-1 in, I've never had wear-related problems with the engine before everything else around it died. If you buy it at Wal-Mart in the big container, it's only about $32 for a full change.
Cons: It costs a little more, but for piece of mind it's worth it. Also, if you're running an older Jeep that's used to standard oils, switching to synthetic will probably (okay, just count on it) result in a small RMS (Rear Main Seal) leak.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Switched my 100k mile jeep over to Mobile-1 when I got it. Of course, it immediately started leaking oil from the RMS (6-cyl 4.0l), but after an afternoon's work and a few parts (new RMS $13.40 and oil pan gasket $33.70 ...moparonlineparts.com) its up and running with no issues. Mobile-1 has always been my oil of choice -- every mechanic buddy (and wanna-be mechanic buddy) has given me both grief and credit for sticking with it. Engine runs smooth, and engine wear has been virtually non-existent.

Yeah it's a few bucks more per oil change, but so far it's treated me well and it's worth it.

Krazy302

Krazy302's Reviews
05-17-2011, 11:19 PM
Price: $25.00
Pros: Synthetic Protection
Cons: none
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Wanted to protect the internals of my jeeps engine and have always used mobile one.

97nickTJ

97nickTJ's Reviews
03-06-2011, 01:58 PM
Price: $30.00
Pros: great oil
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Great oil engine runs like new

TheSlowDown
TheSlowDown's Reviews
01-08-2011, 01:11 AM
Price: $40.00
Pros: Very good cold start running performance in harsh cold conditions. Easily lasts twice the service recommended oil change interval.
Cons: expensive. :)
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I use the 0W-30 Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy engine oil. Wish it were cheaper, but otherwise very happy with it.

I do my own oil changes and use the Mobil 1 Extended Life oil filters as well and am happy with the results.

I actually e-mailed Mobil 1 and I have in writing the technical department telling me whatever the manufacturer says the oil change interval is to DOUBLE IT. I'm sure it could go on even longer but not worth the risk.

Very important to get the Mobil 1 filter so your fram doesn't disintegrate and screw up your engine even with the good oil.

I also e-mailed the manufacturer for the Mobil 1 oil filter (they make most of the filters on the market by the way from economy to premium). The manufacturer claims it actually is different and explained to me all the technical aspects of the differences - after which I did physical comparisons and there actually are some significant life-extending differences.

palmrose2
palmrose2's Reviews
08-14-2009, 11:23 PM
Price: $20.00
Pros: good lubrication
Cons: expensive
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I run the snot out of the four little squirrels that reside under my hood. In fact after running a back yard dirt bike track against a 500 cc two stroke bike and not losing, the crowd had a hard time believing it was a 4 cyl. They sound different when you spin then past 6000 rpm. I use the best oil I can buy because I often run my 40 thousandths over bored engine beyond it's design parameters. After about 30,000 hard miles she still holds 20 psi at idle.

tractorfix
tractorfix's Reviews
05-10-2009, 07:53 AM
Price: $34.99
Pros: Engine Last's Forever. Lifetime supply of gently used synth oil and filters for my Demo Derby cars
Cons: A little expensive at least until the powertrain warranty is up and I can extend the drain interval to what Mobil1 is capable of.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Mobil1 is my Synthetic oil of Choice. I think all Synth oils are probbly pretty good, but I know this product has worked for me for ages

country_boy454
country_boy454's Reviews

03-06-2009, 09:59 AM
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Runs smoother than it did on conventional.................. .........

CrazyWJ242
CrazyWJ242's Reviews

12-28-2008, 11:07 PM
Price: $45.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Always use Mobile 1 and filter, seafoam crankcase treatment, then zMax engine and gas treatment

Xed420
Xed420's Reviews

10-12-2008, 02:31 PM
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Could feel the power increase and definatley attained a MPG increase.Unfortunately if u switch to synthetic over 55,000 miles, u should probably change out your gaskets before doing so. If not you'll most likely see some minor leaking.

wrangler_usmc
wrangler_usmc's Reviews

09-25-2008, 01:22 PM
Pros: Quality, availabiltiy
Cons: price
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Love Mobil 1 and will be switching back to it shortly.

I have run Mobil 1 in every vehicle I have owned, except for our BMW 330, which I use Lubro Moly in. I have had it in my Wrangler since I have owned, except one time (right now) when I switched to RP. I'll be switching back this weekend. Great product.

jeepgirl4life
jeepgirl4life's Reviews

06-13-2008, 10:24 PM
Price: $4.99
Recommended? Yes

Comments: it's oil, & it's not cheep anymore.
I have changed the cell & the distributer in the motor

Scottso699

Scottso699's Reviews

03-17-2008, 02:27 PM
Price: $4.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: This is the only oil I have ever used and will contiue in the future.

Doug0351
Doug0351's Reviews

03-11-2008, 02:18 AM
Price: $1.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Stroked 4.6L with bored 62mm TB and spacer.

Lost_sage
Lost_sage's Reviews

02-26-2008, 01:18 AM
Price: $5.00
Pros: Superior engine lubrication
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I love Mobil 1 synthetic oil. I have yet to run it in my Cherokee due to its age and mileage (recently purchased '91 with 212k, leaks some oil), but became a believer on my previous car. I used to own a Celica with a 2.2 liter engine that i had purchased way back when with 52k miles on the clock. At around 60k I started running Mobil 1 full synthetic with a Mobil 1 synthetic filter. The car had no leaks, did not burn oil, and I did regular changes every 5k-6k miles. After over 100k miles, the car had not lost any power (also maintained regularly) and STILL was not burning/leaking any oil. With such a small engine, I would have definitely noticed any power loss if it had occurred. My MPG confirmed this, as the car was getting the same MPG as when I started - 25 city/32 hwy (much better than the sticker 20/27 i know, although i live in CO and the altitude seems to affect MPG). I currently run the stuff in my other car, a 350z, and the car just rips. I run that car to redline all the time, and it doesn't leak/burn any oil either, although I change it more frequently due to the abuse from my right foot. I'll never go back.

On a side note, before switching I researched the stuff and found someone who did an experiment on a newer V8 camaro to determine its useful life inside an engine. Every 1k miles, a small sample was drained and sent to a lab for oil analysis testing. The lab determined that the oil made it about 18k miles before its lubricating properties diminished noticeably. I should note here that the engine was having to be topped off frequently due to the loose tolerances in that particular engine - ie burning oil. Because of the addition of small amounts of fresh oil every so often, the lab adjusted the realistic life of the oil down to about 10k. More importantly, they said that the filter was only good for about 7.5k, so it was the type of thing where the weak link in an extended service period was the filter, not the oil. I cut the 10k figure in half to arrive at the 5k service interval on my Celica, in the interest of keeping a healthy safety margin. So while the stuff is more expensive to run, the longer drain intervals and better engine protection offset its cost in the long run. It should also help to keep your MPG's up over the life of vehicle.

ajmorell

ajmorell's Reviews

07-16-2007, 02:22 PM
Pros: Superior lubrication, and life
Cons: Price
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Been running Mobil 1 for the last 30k miles or so with no complaints whatsoever. I also recommend running a good filter like a Wix filter from Napa.

grogie

M-F: Cell Block #4533
grogie's Reviews

05-29-2007, 03:07 PM
Pros: Longer oil change intervals
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Before my Jeeps, I started to use Mobile 1 in two previous new cars. One of which, I changed the oil every 12,000 miles (8 months). I later gave the car to my parents, which now has over 100k miles and still runs like it is new!

I am also running Mobile 1 in both of my Jeeps now. I change the oil in each about ever 6,000 miles.

Below is what was said about Mobile 1 from a private test that I followed:

Quote:

"Based on the results we've got here, we'd recommend 8,000 miles between oil changes on an engine that uses no oil at all, perhaps 10,000 miles on an engine that uses some oil, and 15,000 miles or beyond with a filter change every 5,000 miles. This, of course, isn't any kind of guarantee, and you must evaluate for yourself what your engine requires. One thing we're pretty sure about though: 3,000-mile intervals is a huge waste of resources."

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html

TrailWorthyFab

TrailWorthyFab.com
TrailWorthyFab's Reviews

02-11-2007, 10:14 PM
Pros: Holds up longer than reg. oils
Cons: It does cost a little more but well worth it!!!
Recommended? Yes

Comments: This is the only product I will even think about using for my jeep. If you have any pride in your vehicle at all this should be your first choice. It holds up great and it is just want your engine is asking for. Do you and your Jeep a favor and switch to Mobil-1. You won't be sad!!!!

jzmtl

jzmtl's Reviews

01-11-2007, 05:13 PM
Pros: Easier to flow in cold weather than dino oil
Cons: No longer a true synthetic
Recommended? No

Comments: It's engine oil, and it works. Easier to flow than dino in cold climate, however they are no longer a true synthetic, but simply a dewaxed dino. So as far as I'm concerned it no longer justifies the price.

For more information about how it's no longer true synthetic visit the forum on www.bobistheoilguy.com

Haik

supaJEEP
Haik's Reviews

09-14-2006, 07:33 AM
Pros: Smooth engine, faster rpm climb, highest quality
Cons: Price. (you get what you pay for)
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I have done extensive tests on oils in a lab setting for chemical-petrol based classes. Nothing compared to the quality Mobil-1 has. We tested most of the common oils advertised and among some of the results, the most starteling was all other oils gel to a solid at -8 degrees celcius. Mobil could still pour at -50.

It is a common misconception that a synthetic oil is manmade. It is not. Conventional oil and Synthetic oil come from the same place. The difference is that Synthetic oil goes through additional processing and refinement. The parafin waxes are removed. This is where the additional cost for the oil comes in.

I will never run another oil again. Mobil-1 forever.

spiritree
spiritree's Reviews

09-11-2006, 01:56 PM
Pros: Increase gas milage and lower running temp.
Cons: cost
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I have been running full synthetic for the past 160,000+ miles. I go twice as long between oil changes and with the increased milage the cost of this oil over the standard goes away. I have never had an overheating problem and still going over 3,000 miles before before topping it up. I think if I did not have a small leak from the rear main seal I could go the full 6,000 miles between oil changes without needed to add more oil. I would never go back to regular oil!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 > Last »