Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Engine > Induction > HomeMade Custom coldair intake

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Poison Spyder DeFenders™ - "Tubeless" Jeep FendeSanta Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!

HomeMade Custom coldair intake Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Induction Next Product

HomeMade Custom coldair intake

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $300.00
Average Price: $58.82
Manufacturer: HomeMade
Recommended?
Yes: 58 / No: 5

what i did here seein as i own an older RENIX 4.0L (no one makes **** for these engines so ya gotta do it your self)

any way i took a piece of 3" stainless exhaust pipe in a 12" length cut the needed holes for the hses from the airbox i brazzed on the needed fittings and went out and got the biggest K&N filter they had(6X9K&N w/3" mouth) slapped it all together and tossed that crappy old restrictive airbox and havent had a regret

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4 > Last »

kn7676
kn7676's Reviews

02-11-2009, 10:06 PM
Price: $100.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: i made a custom cold air intake, it is flex tube with a k&n air filter, and a alluminum housing

thetrashman

thetrashman's Reviews

01-13-2009, 05:13 PM
Recommended? Yes

Comments: in the process of making one again.
but i had one befor in my old yj
and it worked killer!
just put it out of the way of water!

XJ99RedNY
XJ99RedNY's Reviews

01-13-2009, 03:02 PM
Price: $50.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: ebay tube with K&N cone filter, along with a cardboard box to prevent water from getting near the filter, sure sounds cool. dont know if i got any gains though

customzj91
customzj91's Reviews

12-30-2008, 03:22 PM
Price: $30.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: i made one with pvc pipe but it ended up cracking so i just threw the filter on the throttle body itself

CrazyWJ242
CrazyWJ242's Reviews

12-28-2008, 11:02 PM
Price: $100.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: 90 and 45 degree bend, and CCV tube. K&N Filter next to radiator for some nice cold flow

zackXJ
zackXJ's Reviews

12-10-2008, 01:29 PM
Price: $57.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I made a cheap and easy cold air box by cutting a sun deflector shade into shape as a heat shield and also wrapping part of it on the intake tube. I then cut out part of the air box to give it some more flow. Oh ya, and a drop-in K&N. Sounds great and seems to help quite a bit!

LTD 318ZJ
LTD 318ZJ's Reviews

12-04-2008, 09:58 PM
Recommended? Yes

Comments: This a copy of the AEM/K&N intake. I have access to a mandrel bender. I used 3.5" tube for the charge pipe. Fabricated some sheet metal as a heat shield. Also covered up the hole below the air box to avoid water intake.

keat

keat's Reviews

11-09-2008, 03:58 AM
Price: $60.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: only cost 60 bucks total..using an autozone coupling, which was clamped on to a 90* 3 inch diameter tube..coupled and clamped to a 2.5 inch piece of pipe off a cut up civic intake..with an AEM filter on the end. works great..sounds good..helps with throttle response and acceleration it seems like..judging from my butt dyno.

Nightdrv
Nightdrv's Reviews

09-19-2008, 12:07 AM
Price: $25.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Yes, eBay. Haters go away. Money is tight. Got a simple long tube intake, with a great filter. Eventually will get an AEM Brute Force intake. But for now, this works wonderfully.

joemadoo
joemadoo's Reviews

09-04-2008, 12:40 PM
Price: $20.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Spent about 20 bucks on this intake, very simple. Beats spending over 200 bucks for a name brand in my opinion.

dukie564

dukie564's Reviews

08-14-2008, 01:45 PM
Price: $48.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Custom Intake from ChromeIntakes on ebay. BADASS looking intake, 3" Pipe, blue hoses and elbow, sweet filter.

Price included shipping

Morris4x4Center

Vendor
Morris4x4Center's Reviews

07-25-2008, 12:07 PM
Pros: inexpensive, should do the trick
Cons: if you aren't handy...
Recommended? Yes

Comments: If you aren't handy, we have a full selection of Jeep Cold Air Intakes and Snorkels from Airaid, Volant, K&N and more. Always the guaranteed lowest prices!!!

LCFRJEEP

LCFRJEEP's Reviews

07-25-2008, 07:32 AM
Price: $32.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I purchased one of the $20.00 El-cheapo intake's off of EBAY and really not to bad. Didn't really notice much of an improvement performance wise but did create a nice sound on acceleration!!

FavaGuitars
FavaGuitars's Reviews

07-18-2008, 03:23 PM
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Modified the stock air box by jigging out the front and side of the box so it gets better air flow and sounds better. Really loud! But Also free and you can't beat that.

Lee Iaccoca
Lee Iaccoca's Reviews

07-16-2008, 05:52 PM
Pros: Thermotec products have so far worked as advertised; Better Running Jeep at all RPMs
Cons: Intake Manifold is a b!tch to wrap completely; Entire Setup is a bit of a beta test -- see how it holds up
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I have tried a variety of intakes - stock, w/KN panel, Cone with metal tube, back to stock and paper. The one thing that alway bugged me about any of the so-called cold air setups for Wranglers was the heat-soak you'd still be facing having the intake manifold right above the exhaust manifold. Touch the intake manifold some time after you've been driving for a while -- it'll be burning hot.

I was going to leave everything stock -- airbox and paper filter -- and just wrap the intake manfold in some thermotec tape. But I said "what if I took this cold air business a little further." And of course a project ensued:

With the apparent intake temperature drop, low end is nice now. You move out a lot quicker. At highway speeds you do probably get a slight positive pressure, too -- like 1/10th of 1% lol I don't have the plastic rectangular headlight pieces in place currently and I have both my front signal lights out. I put all that stuff in and I am going to have to attach something to the grill that flows incoming air past the grill to the left side where the intake opening is. This should cut out any heat perhaps given off by the radiator as well.

As for water intake, not much chance -- its not one of these Honda cone-filter under the bumper deals. I need to go through water I'll just unscrew the hose from the metal behind the grill and keep it high in the engine bay.

But point of all this is, yeah you can get some good results out of the 4Banger using the heat wrap products by Thermotec and then do a little filter shopping and metal hole boring.

Heavylift

Heavylift's Reviews

07-05-2008, 05:36 AM
Price: $50.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: 30$ for a oil filtered cone filter, 20$ for 3" piping to TB. Cheap and works great, custom heat shield out of scrap metal.

PolishAir42

PolishAir42's Reviews

06-28-2008, 02:49 PM
Price: $300.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: K&N 63-1549 K&N 63-1549K&N 63-1549K&N 63-1549K&N 63-1549K&N 63-1549K&N 63-1549K&N 63-1549K&N 63-1549K&N 63-1549K&N 63-1549K&N 63-1549K&N 63-1549K&N 63-1549K&N 63-1549K&N 63-1549K&N 63-1549K&N 63-1549K&N 63-1549K&N 63-1549K&N 63-1549K&N 63-1549K&N 63-1549K&N 63-1549K&N 63-1549K&N 63-1549

mud-dog27
mud-dog27's Reviews

06-21-2008, 02:10 PM
Recommended? Yes

Comments: in response to the snorkle comment it is a great mod unless i plan on doing high water crossings which i try to avoid cause a snorkle is usless if your not water proofed which in the cases of most snorkles out there they arent water prooed which can lead to a world of fun in electrical demons, milkshake fluids and so on

and mine isnt very loud at all i get a slight whistle from the vaccum lines cause its more open now but aside from that not realy noticeable

colojpchef
colojpchef's Reviews

06-21-2008, 12:02 AM
Pros: cheap
Cons: none
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I did similar with AUtoZone Plastic. I used my 99 Expedition OME Filter Shroud (cut small end 1/2" to allow fit over tube as a hot air shield for Jeep K&N works great. Have pics can PM or ask for link.

Toliver09
Toliver09's Reviews

06-12-2008, 08:47 PM
Price: $5.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: cold air made by cutting off a lot of the original air tube and replacing with exhaust tubing, took the vacuum line fitting from the old tube and siliconed it into the exhaust pipe. fitted a 120mm cone air filter to the end of the pipe. Very Loud.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4 > Last »