Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Engine > Throttle Body > Howell Engine Development TBI Kit

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsPoison Spyder DeFender Inner Fender KitsCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Howell Engine Development TBI Kit Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Throttle Body Next Product

Howell Engine Development TBI Kit

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $1,000,000,000.00
Average Price: $30,304,045.03
Manufacturer: Howell Engine Development
Recommended?
Yes: 32 / No: 1

This kit will only fit AMC or after market intake manifolds that have the Holley bolt pattern. Air filter not included and must be purchased separately. Howell Throttle Body Fuel Injection Kits have owners reporting smooth operating on all angles and inclines and improved starting and drivability with noticable power gain. Gas mileage improvements vary depending on the condition of the replaced carburetor. Since the system operates in a closed loop using the oxygen sensor to maintain an average 14.7:1 air to fuel ratio, improved gas mileage can be expected. The benefits of this Throttle Body Fuel Injection system over the competition, is the almost exclusive use of GM parts making them available through any GM dealer worldwide, should you experience trouble on the road. All GM on-board diagnostics and limp-home features are retained and, with our service manual, you can troubleshoot most problems yourself. You get the benefit of millions of dollars of durability development by GM, used to perfect their late model vehicles, at no additional cost. This kit is installed with the production distributor. Production GM TBI air cleaner can be used or several aftermarket designs can be adapted

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review
Page 2 of 2 1 2

mugsy310
mugsy310's Reviews

03-19-2009, 12:29 AM
Price: $1,100.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Works great. Not an easy installation and wouldn't recommend it to someone with limited mechanical or electrical experience. But a great product and it has definitely helped the performance.

84 CJ7

84 CJ7's Reviews

01-10-2009, 07:52 AM
Price: $1,200.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Easy to install, cleans up the engine compartment tremendously. Runs better than the old carb. but that was a piece of crap. Can't seemt to make it quite running rich. Have replaced the chip 3 times and talked to Howell mahy times.

RetiredSERE

RetiredSERE's Reviews

09-08-2008, 02:23 PM
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Instructions could have used a little more diagrams and seperate the Calif Legal from all the other units. Easy to install and started on the first turn with old fuel and no timing adjustment.

gmakra
gmakra's Reviews

06-04-2008, 10:26 AM
Price: $1,300.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Good product easy to install though takes a bit of tinkering to make it run correctly

jbolty

jbolty's Reviews

04-29-2008, 11:10 AM
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Very happy with it so far. It runs better than new, more power, higher rpm and no flooding on hills.

68redcat

68redcat's Reviews

04-21-2008, 10:47 PM
Price: $1,500.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: replace the stock 1 bl.

Humbo
Humbo's Reviews

03-25-2008, 11:51 PM
Price: $1,119.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Just installed the Howell TBI kit; it was the only way I could pass California smog so far everything is great. I love it so far.

Fatman

Fatman's Reviews

03-24-2008, 08:47 PM
Price: $1,000,000,000.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: very nice

RickBeer
RickBeer's Reviews

03-01-2008, 01:38 AM
Price: $29.99
Recommended? Yes

Comments: 6 quarts of oil

wkevinw
wkevinw's Reviews

11-27-2006, 04:20 PM
Price: $1,150.00
Pros: cost, simplicity, reliability, low rpm improved performance
Cons: less accelleration, too rich codes set,
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I believe I am having the same too rich problem. It gives a code 45 sometimes, which clears. However, Howell did not tell me how to change the fuel pressure. I looked at the pressure regulator, and it is the kind that is not adjustable. Any help/ideas would be welcome.

lilfoot
lilfoot's Reviews

08-02-2006, 12:42 AM
Price: $1,195.00
Pros: engine starts up right away and runs very smooth
Cons: instructions could be a bit more detailed (but adequate for most installers)
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Very impressed with the kit, it came with all the necessary items (including fuel lines). Air clearner had to be purchased seperately.

Engine compartment looks very neat an clean when finished, got rid of several feet of wire and vac lines.

Engine fires up right away and idles great. Acceleration is very smooth through all gears.

Have not had to use there tech support line yet so cannot provide any feedback on that.

My kit was a little more expensive having to be shipped to Canada, with shipping and duty I paid just over $1400.00 Canadian (air cleaner cost another $40.00 Canadian).

My final step is to complete an emissions test (hopefully in the next 2 or 3 days). My jeep failed with the old carb and I am very anxious to see the result now with the EFI conversion. I will update the post as soon as I get the test done.

EMISSION TESTING
AUG 2
well I went for my test on Wed, unfortunately the check engine light came on during the test and it fail the driving test on HC and CO. After the test I retrieved a code 45 - O2 sensor reading rich (called Howell tech support and then said the fuel pressure may be too high and told me how to adjust it).

AUG 18
--passed emission test with flying colours, the guys at Howell were right, I checked the fuel pressure and it was at 12 PSI. I adjusted it to just above 9 PSI and backed the timing to 4 degrees and it worked like a charm.

1979CJ7

1979CJ7's Reviews

08-01-2006, 12:04 PM
Price: $1,200.00
Pros: All parts are new expcet the throttle which is rebuild, good custermer support from Howell, Easy to follow instruction
Cons: Doesnt come with an Air filter or fuel lines or a check engine light
Recommended? Yes

Comments: this is an awesome improvement from a carb. yes its a little pricey but its well spent. it will pay for it self it gas. i used to get 8 MPG now i get about 13 MPG. the drive is a whole lot better too. before i couldnt shift up my hill into 3rd. now i can easily and i could hit 4th too but dont need to yet. they could have included fuel lines and an air filter. if they did that it would be perfect. i love y new injection kit.

Page 2 of 2 1 2