Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Engine > Headers > Banks Torque Tubes Exhaust Manifold

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Banks Torque Tubes Exhaust Manifold Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Headers Next Product

Banks Torque Tubes Exhaust Manifold

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $1,000.00
Average Price: $397.07
Manufacturer: Banks
Recommended?
Yes: 66 / No: 11

4.0L 6-CYL:
1991-05 WRANGLER, 1991-01 CHEROKEE, '93-01 GRAND CHEROKEE, 1991-92 COMMANCHE: Banks TorqueTubes is a streamlined exhaust manifold designed to optimize exhaust flow and engine efficiency. Because the stock manifold's flange does not align squarely with the ports, flow is restricted. TorqueTube corrects the problem with a half-inch flange that is machined dead flat, and precisely fitted to the port pattern. You can hear the difference in the plusher, healthier exhaust note.
Unlike the stock, failure-prone exhaust manifold, Banks TorqueTube is built of heavy, 409 stainless steel to weather a lifetime of heat, stress and abuse. The flange, welded to the tube assembly on both sides, will never crack or separate. The gasket is made of SMI 900, a material that stands up to super-hot temperatures.

Bolts right on. Optional head pipe available for the best flow.

2.5L 4-CYL
1991-02 WRANGLER: The Banks TorqueTubes assembly for the 2.5L Wrangler provides nearly identical engineering innovations and benefits as the TorqueTubes for the 4.0L 6-cylinder Jeeps: bulletproof construction … precision fit of the dead-flat half-inch flange to the port pattern … imperviousness of the flange to cracking and separating … and the easy, bolt-on design. Includes an extra-thick gasket (not shown) that stands up to super-hot temperatures.

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4 > Last »

Kei_XJ
Kei_XJ's Reviews
12-21-2010, 06:00 PM
Price: $425.37
Pros: better exhaust flow
Cons: a pain to torque bolts
Recommended? Yes

Comments: very well header and the result is more rumble in the exhaust

CharliesFree
CharliesFree's Reviews
12-20-2010, 04:30 PM
Price: $999.99
Pros: more durable than stock
Cons: Not durable enough and typical cracking re-occured
Recommended? No

Comments: My stock manifold cracked. Banks was advertised as being stronger. it lasted 60K while the stock lasted 40K so I guess it did last longer. Was heavier/thicker walled than stock so in another application it might perform better but the cracking problem seems to be typical on a 98 4.0 TJ.

Rodney121
Rodney121's Reviews
08-23-2010, 02:27 AM
Price: $919.00
Pros: Increased tourque
Cons: none
Recommended? Yes

Comments: My factory headers were cracked so it was a no brainer to go ahead and replace them with an aftermarket header. Great purchase!

greenglazier
greenglazier's Reviews
08-16-2010, 11:09 PM
Price: $300.00
Pros: Great
Cons: None
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Holding really well

taormina92
taormina92's Reviews

07-11-2010, 03:48 PM
Price: $459.00
Pros: Really good looking and well built header. Only on the jeep for a month so I'm not sure if it will crack. Motor feels much torquier, nice sound.
Cons: Expensive.
Recommended? No

Comments: Beautiful work of art header. Too bad you can't see more of it when installed. There's a bolt that needs to be installed underneath the manifold dead center that is very, very difficult to get to because of the way the header is designed. What should have been an easy install was absolutely hindered by that one bolt. But I guess you trade off a good header design for easy access. Overall happy with the purchase. Even though I didn't need them, Banks includes a great set of instructions - one of the best I've seen on this type of product.

letitloose06

letitloose06's Reviews

06-22-2010, 11:30 PM
Price: $450.00
Pros: Lifetime waranty
Cons: Header cracked after 1 1/2 years. Replacement header cracked again in less than 1 year.
Recommended? No

Comments: This header is an over priced piece of junk. I've had to have mine replaced twice now. Both headers cracked after less than 2 years. Avoid this header. I should have just bought one of the cheaper APN headers and been done with it. I also did not really notice any performance gains from this header.

97BlackNloudTJ
97BlackNloudTJ's Reviews
06-13-2010, 10:16 PM
Price: $3.00
Pros: Gain in torque and efficiency
Cons: did not come with front pipe
Recommended? Yes

Comments: If you have a busted manifold, this is the one to get! Gasket takes about 30 days to adjust and than re torque... Great sound and looks awesome. Super easy install. If you want total sound and HP/Torque gains, add Monster exhaust from Gail Banks as well.

xjman07
xjman07's Reviews
05-11-2010, 02:49 PM
Price: $500.00
Pros: Sounds Amazing, Great Performance, 1st set cracked and Banks sent a new one the next day, awesome
Cons: none so far
Recommended? Yes

Comments: These are awesome headers, sound great, look great, perform great. I had bought a set awhile back and some how managed to crack them, Banks set a new header out the next day, which happened to be the revised edition. Awesome product.

xantasm
xantasm's Reviews

03-11-2010, 02:26 PM
Price: $370.00
Pros: Slight improvement in Hp and it adds a subtle deeper tone to the engine. Improves engine performance overall slightly.
Cons: The twist design of the torque tubes makes properly tightening the lower intake manifold bolts almost impossible making it very easy to compress the dowel pins in when tightening and causing engine idle issues that prevent the vehicle from running. I absolutely would not recommending trying this at home in your garage if you have the newer TJ style exhaust with the dual resonators below the exhaust manifold. This was a very bad design flaw by Banks. Being able to properly torque your lower intake manifold bolts is imparitive to the life of your engine.
Recommended? No

Comments: I bought the header from a fellow forum member who decided not to install them and now I can see why. I installed them but as mentioned in the cons section when torqueing the intake manifold the dowl pins were not set and this resulted in them being compressed into the block and caused the intake manifold to not seat properly. When I first tried to start my motor the RPM's shot to about 7 grand and then the engine stalled and this happened repeatedly every time I tried to start my Jeep. If you want to go with these headers do yourself a favor and have a shop do it unless you have a full bay and mechanic quiality shop tools so these things can be properly installed. If Banks had paid more attention to how the pipes were roouted in relation to where the intake bolts to the block it wouldnt be such an issue.

Planetcat
Planetcat's Reviews

02-02-2010, 07:17 PM
Price: $459.00
Pros: Strong, stout, thick walled, fits like a glove.
Cons: Costs more than other headers.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: A fine example of Banks quality. Paired up with an air filter tube, cone filter, throttle body spacer, this header helps that 4.0L engine breath. Adds snappy acceleration and more horsepower and torque. Have had it on the XJ for 7 years and it still looks like new.

Jeep-AI
Jeep-AI's Reviews
12-04-2009, 12:47 AM
Price: $1.00
Pros: .
Cons: .
Recommended? Yes

Comments: ....................

waldrondigital

waldrondigital's Reviews
11-12-2009, 12:16 AM
Price: $400.00
Pros: Good sound with Banks Exhaust Minor Power Improvement
Cons: Mechanic said required intake manifold modifications to install. Called their tech support, they said this ways typical.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Beautiful header. I had my mechanic install it and he said that it wouldn't fit without modifying the intake manifold on my '98 TJ 4.0. After some cutting he got it on and it sounds fantastic coupled with the Banks Exhaust and Intake. Pricey, but it does add a few ponies and a very "tuned" sound to the exhaust.

adhdlacrosse16
adhdlacrosse16's Reviews
10-05-2009, 10:15 PM
Price: $250.00
Pros: nice burble at idle but not obtrusive
Cons: pricey
Recommended? Yes

Comments: they add a nice sound and maybe 1 mpg increase

bzoerb
bzoerb's Reviews
09-13-2009, 09:05 AM
Price: $410.00
Pros: improved power
Cons: None
Recommended? Yes

Comments: By increasing exhaust flow, Torque Tubes optimize the torque curve of the popular 4.0L Wrangler engine. Power & efficiency improve, along with the exhaust note

uvalax236
uvalax236's Reviews
07-05-2009, 08:42 PM
Price: $400.00
Pros: Great sound and pedal feel!
Cons: Installation is tricky!
Recommended? Yes

Comments: You have to destroy some of your tools to get the headers on but they replace the stock (crack prone) manifold. Banks also has a lifetime warranty on the headers as well.

brotu123
brotu123's Reviews

05-03-2009, 07:28 PM
Pros: good sound
Cons: horrible customer svc.
Recommended? No

Comments: Ive had one on my 97 wrangler for about 7 years and it cracked about a year ago. I contacted banks and even after explaining to them that the jeep was my daily driver they still wanted me to take it off and sent it to them with no replacement for at least 2 weeks befor they would even decide if thet were going to cover it or not. If I had known warranty issues were going to be such a pain I would have just bought a cheaper header and replaced every couple of years!

lollos
lollos's Reviews
05-01-2009, 04:36 AM
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I bought The Banks TorqueTubes for tj 2.5L but it does not fit with the
head pipe because the hole of the header is larger than the hole
of the head pipe.
The conical gasket does not fit with the stock head pipe.
Do you know how to solve this problem ?

AlexGeorgakis

AlexGeorgakis's Reviews

02-26-2009, 09:12 AM
Price: $420.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Works well, but gasket didn't fit right. I had to get a stock gasket to get a better fit.

ajeepcreep
ajeepcreep's Reviews

02-16-2009, 03:29 PM
Price: $550.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments:

JROD99TJ
JROD99TJ's Reviews

02-14-2009, 11:42 PM
Recommended? Yes

Comments: installed by prior owner, no rust, sounds good, appears to be a good fit. --------------------------------------------

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4 > Last »