2011 Drummond Island JJUSA - Post 153 & 154
2011 Laurel Highlands JJUSA - Post 171, 172, & 173
Sedona, AZ Jeep rental - Post 177
2011 French Lick JJUSA - Post 183 & 186
2012 Badlands JJUSA - Post 222
2012 Laurel Highlands JJUSA - Post 233
2012 French Lick JJUSA - Post 244
2013 Laurel Highlands, French Lick, and Williamsburg JJUSAs - Post 297

Well, after 18 years of thinking about owning a Wrangler, I came across this gem (at lest to me it is :thumbsup:) and had to pull the trigger on it. Despite what my wife thinks, I love it. To me, it' s the perfect vehicle for Michigan (4x4 for the winter and dunes, and top down for summer!)

2002 TJ Sport
Solar Yellow
4.0L
5 Speed
D44 Rear w/ 3.73 gearing
Hardtop
New BFG's - 30x9.5x15s
While it has 93k on it, it's not a DD, so be it.

See less See more
#57 ·
Thanks Hiker. :wave:

The Hi-Lift is pink due to the flash on the camera. After I took the pic, I had to double check my vision. Certainly is red.

I hope we could met up again. Makes wheeling really fun when you know others. French Lick '09 would not have been the same. Hopefully Uncle Sam is good to you so you can do Attica and French Lick. I was thinking about Attica, but I chose Penn Woods, PA which happens to be within a week of Attica. Also signed up for French Lick. 8.5 months away, but who's counting. See you on the trail soon. :cheers2:

As for the deals, well, I still have to convence the "better half" that they are GOOD deals that they are.

#58 · (Edited)
We were luck to get some warmer weather here (40s and sunny) for a change. So, I was able to give the Jeep a wash, and remove one layer of salt. :laugh:

Then, I took the opportunity to install a set of Skid Row LCA Skids:

Then I have been busy working on my wish list for the next 12-18 months:

1) Off-Road Trail Tool - NATO water can holder - purchased, just awaiting install.
2) New windshield - March '10
3) Warrior Steering Box Brace - March '10
4) KC Slimlights Driving Lights - Nov '10
5) KC Rear Aux lights - Nov '10
6) Bestop Oversize Tire Carrier - '11
7) Banks Exhaust - '11

#59 ·
I just read through your build for the first time. Nice Jeep! Are you still at stock height? (I thought so but I could have missed something). What kind of OME shocks are those? Just wondering because I want to replace my stock shocks with OME ones but I can't find any for non lifted jeeps.

#60 ·
Yeah, still running stock height. That is until my tires wear out (which will be sometime from now).
I went with the OME N66 /67 combo. I did lots of reasearch, talked to several vendors, and OME themselves about it.

#61 ·
Nothing major to report.

Had the windshield replaced today.
I had enough of seeing all the little stone chips, etc.
It was still the original with 95k miles to it. So, not too bad.

Also replaced the wiper blades, cleaned and painted the frame, wheel wells, and the underside of the tub by the rockers with Dupli-Color spray on bedliner.

Impressive........isn't it? :laugh:

#62 ·
Well the weather has changed for the better this week (mid-50's & sunny) so I was able to repaint the flares.

1) 200 & 400 grit sandpaper
2) clean with windex
3) wipe with acetone
4) Dupli-Color clear primer - 1 coat
5) Dupli-Color Bed Liner - 3 coats

Going to try and re-paint the rear bumper with the bed liner this weekend.

#65 ·

Going to try and re-paint the rear bumper with the bed liner this weekend.
wow those are probably the best repainted flares i've ever seen good job man

#64 ·
Well,the crappy Michigan weather has turned for the time being, so with a case of spring fever, I removed the hardtop, and drove around.What a feeling. I forgot how much fun it is. A sure way to put a smile on one's face. :2thumbsup:

While I had the good garage weather, I upgraded my mirrors to the '03 style from my recently purchased half doors. Also, installed an Off Road Trial Tools water can carrier. It will be nice to have for long trips, and trail rides.

#67 ·
Wow. My family and girlfriend say I take too good of care of my jeep. You make me look like I'm abusive to mine and don't give a crap about it. :laugh:

Absolutely stunning. I really like the way you're making sure its a nice reliable vehicle before diving head first into mods. We think alike, you just execute it better ha.

What kind of seat covers are those? I like the look of them and the storage behind them. Waterproof?

#69 · (Edited)
Thanks to all for the very nice comments. :highfive:

Came across a set of PIAA 520 ATPs on CL for dirt cheap. Pactically new!
So, I called Davey's Jeep and got a OEM Fog Light Switch and pigtail. Since I have no immediate plans for a winch, I installed the lights on the fairlead mount. I think it finishes off the front nicely.

Also installed a Warrior Steering Box Brace.

Up next:
1) Alloy USA D30 Tube Seals
2) KC Aux Back-up Lights

#70 ·
Looks like those tires are starting to get a bit noisy (can tell in the pics). When you rotate them cross the rears to the front and bring the front straight back. Do that every oil change and they'll stay pretty quiet. I had BFGs on mine before I upgraded to the Destination ATs The noise was INSANE for AT tires. Have about 4000 miles on the Firestones and they're silent.

#71 ·
I love duplicolor bedliner, i did my grill last year with it, and my frame this year with it however the overspray is just ridiculous after i got done my exterior paint flet like some one poured sand on my paint, now i have to clay bar it again. Did you happen to get the rough feeling on your hood and top of your fenders from using it???

#72 · (Edited)
Yokon - luckily I taped off everything nearby, so I didn't get any overspray. I will clay bar it here shortly. I'll be able to tell better then.

Added a set of aux back-up lights.
Used a set of cheap A-Zone lights, and a waterproof relay located behind the driver side tail lamp:

Up next:
1) Alloy USA D30 Tube Seals (ordered)
2) Install half doors for summer.
3) Wheel it!
4) Get it dirty.
5) Bestop Oversize Tire Carrier - '11
6) Banks Exhaust - '11

#73 ·
Summer is here and have been able to get a lot of wishlist items:

1) Installed Alloy USA D30 Axle Tube Seals.
2) Removed the Mopar /Warn winch plate in favor of an Olympic Light Bar (Painted prior to install.)
3) Re-attached PIAA 520 ATPs

4) Installed the set of half doors

5) Installed a Bestop Highrock Oversized Tire Carrier and Hi-Lift Mount:

6) Co-Pilot ready to go

Up next:
1) Die-Hard Battery - Late '10
2) Banks Exhaust - '11

#74 · (Edited)
Attended the 18th Annual Jeep Jamboree on Drummond Island, MI on June 17-20th.
Nothing beats having a JJUSA in your own state!

Pics of the adventure:

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

Post-Trip

Good news was at the post event dinner, I won the Currie Anti-Rock System. Since I already have JKS Discos, I raded it in for a set of Currie Adj UCAs for the rear and other misc stuff. :2thumbsup:

The downside was the ride home. What should have been an enjoyable 5.5 hour topless drive home, turned into a 14 hour ordeal. Exit 310 on I-75S (24 miles South of the Mac Bridge) While cruising at 75mph, I changed lanes and noticed my steering being extremely stiff. I thought that was very odd, and looked at the gauges to see the volt meter drop to ZERO. Then the "Check Engine" light goes on, and finally, engine temp spikes. Well, I hit the next exit (all this happened in less than 1/2 mile.) Opened the hood, to find my idler pulley MIA. I do carry a spare pulley and belt, but it didn't help. Bolt sheared off in the block. :brickwall

Called my wife and father-in-law (happy Father's Day) to grab the Durango and trailer and come rescue me.

Took 3 hours to drill out the bolt as I broke off 2 easy outs in my feable attempt to remove a bolt. Got it all back together, runs fine, and no head gasket issues, etc. I was lucky.

Only other damage from the JJUSA was my fog lights being shattered. Submerging them while on in water in not a good idea. Leason learned for the future.

Up next:
1) Currie UCAs Rear - July '10
2) UCF TT - Sept '10
3) Die-Hard Battery - Late '10
4) Banks Exhaust - '11
5) Rubi Rockers - '11
6) 31x10.5x15 - Goodyear MT/Rs

#75 · (Edited)
Finally got around to some minor upgrades that I have been meaning to do for sometime:

1) converting the 3 switch bezel to the '03-06 4 switch bezel. Not bad to convert. 45 minutes total. That includes the trimming of the dash bezel, wiring the power outlet, and clean-up. So, yeas it can be done with some minor trimming:

2) Upper half door storage. Purchased a Raingler Net system that works perfectly for storage above the rear bench between the rollbars. I use a beach towel between the two uppers and 2 straps to prevent them from sliding off. Got the idea from Stu's site.

Side view:

Looking up:

3) Replaced the OEM foglights (cracked at Drummond JJUSA). Just did another set of OEM Fog Lights, but did the Spyder 6 baffle removal suggestion. Much brighter, and longer range while keeping the pattern low.

Since the Drummond Island JJUSA, I've been putting my brain to work on what I really want to get out of my Jeep. Really need to aid in my traction. So, upgrading the axles and tires will be my focus. I have researched the lockers, and decided to go with a set of ARB. This also solves the OBA question. I don't feel I will ever go taller than 31's, so, once my ATs get near the point of replacement (1 year of so) leaning towards BFG KM2s or Goodyear MT/Rs.

Lockers, MT/Rs, combined with a UCF TT and Savvy / Rokmen gas tank skid should provide a pretty capable rig, IMO. Nothing fancy, but quality components, and a maintained rig.

Up next:
1) Currie UCAs Rear - July '10
2) ARB Air Lockers & OBA - August '10
3) UCF TT - May '11
4) Rubicon Rockers- May '11
5) Die-Hard Battery - as needed
6) Banks Exhaust - as needed
7) 31x10.5x15 - BFG KM2s or Goodyear MT/Rs - as needed

#76 · (Edited)
UPS arrived with some new upgrades:

Currie Rear Upper Control Arms:

ARB Hign Capacity Air Compressor & Tire Inflator Kit:

Up next:
1) Currie UCAs Rear installation - Aug '10
2) ARB Air Lockers & OBA installation by DTS - August '10
3) UCF TT - May '11
4) Rubicon Rockers - May '11
5) Die-Hard Battery P4 - as needed
6) Banks Exhaust - as needed
7) 31x10.5x15 - Goodyear MT/Rs w/ Kevlar - as needed

#77 · (Edited)
Just dropped off the Jeep at DTS in Warren, MI for installation:

1) ARB Compressor
2) ARB D30 Air Locker
3) ARB D44 Air Locker
4) 4.10 gears.

Finally, it's a locked, armored, and flexy TJ!

:2thumbsup:

#78 · (Edited)
Just returned from DTS after picking-up the Jeep.

Everything went as expected. Replaced the pinion seals, bearings, axle seals, D30 diff seals, all other bearings, etc. Also the HD air lines from ARB.

No pics of the locker or install, but here's some of the compressor and switches. Thinking of exactly where to mount all 3.

:thumbsup:

#80 ·
Took some time to install the ARB switches into the OEM 4-Switch bezel.
Not bad at all, measured out the cut-out area, used a dremel. Also had to remove the bosses that are in the rear of the panel.

They snapped right in, and are nice and secure.

As for doing lockers than a lift, some may not agree with that approach. When I picked up my TJ, the tires were brand new, so it's hard to just replace them at this time. As for a lift, no real plans for one. I like to keep it more of a "sleeper" look. Lots of armor, solid / flexy suspension, lockers, CM axle shafts, minor lift (3/4"), and eventually MT/Rs. For this point in time, it's the set-up that I like for the wheeling / driving I do.

:cheers2:

#81 ·
...I like to keep it more of a "sleeper" look. Lots of armor, solid / flexy suspension, lockers, CM axle shafts...
Same here, though us poor XJs need a little more lift to keep up. :laugh:

With the ARBs you'll be making everything look so easy!

Looks great so far. I've really enjoyed following your progress, so much so I'll be starting my own build thread later this week. Not sure I can keep up with the cool stuff you're doing, but it's probably a good way to look back and see what progress you've made over the past couple of years.

Still not sure if I'll be able to make French Lick, but I'm working on it......

Keep up the great work!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.