Youngjeeprs build take 2 - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Youngjeeprs build take 2

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 03-23-2014, 09:38 PM   #31
youngjeepr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Well today was a good day. I started off by finishing up my wiring harnesses then I laid them out in the jeep.

After that I cut my old motor mounts out and repaired the new mounts that I cut off another YJ frame.

Then I decided it was time for some motor work. So I installed the oil pump,pushrods,head, rocker arms, and valve cover.

After that I went back to my big shop and installed the BTF front cage kit and welded up my light bar mounts.

Next weekend I'll finish putting all the accessories on the motor along with the intake and header. Then I'll drop the motor in the jeep and hopefully get it running.

I also might do the rear stretch if my new spring bushing come in.

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
youngjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2014, 09:40 PM   #32
youngjeepr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I put in my driver seat to see how it would look and it sits way to high. So I'm going to have to build some different seat brackets.

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
Unread 03-26-2014, 05:07 PM   #33
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Lookin good man! Im anxoius to see how the stroker does for you. You could cut the seat brackets down like I did with mine. It was kind of a pain but probably easier (for me) than fabbing my own, and worth saving $200 each over buying Corbeau brackets. And I still have the tilt function.

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2014, 05:21 PM   #34
youngjeepr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I was actually thinking about cutting the brackets down while I was at work today.. I'll either cut the mounts down or I might just tie them into the temporary cage..

I can't wait for the stroker either! I'm thinking I'll like it much better than the V8 that I put in last time. Not only will I have more power but it will be fuel injected, and it won't be a pain in the *** to register every year.

My goal is to have it trail worthy in 2 weeks. (If I only work on it on the weekends like i have been.)

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
Unread 03-27-2014, 11:28 AM   #35
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Did you have any fitment issues with the BTF cage kit? I spent hours on the andle grinder getting the notches and cuts to fit tighter. Seems like you got it together pretty quickly.

August YJOTM

Unread 03-27-2014, 11:44 AM   #36
youngjeepr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I didn't have any problems. I work with tubing and stuff like cages at work all day everyday so I know a few tricks to get things to fit nicely.

None of there joints fit perfect, every one had at least an 1/8" gap. The worst one was where the A pillar, A-B pillar spreaders, and top windshield spreader met. There was about a 1/4" gap, but with a MIG welder that's not a problem..

The install probably took me 2-3 hours. I could have done it in about half that time if I had help.

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
Unread 03-27-2014, 12:51 PM   #37
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Those had the biggest gaps on mine too. The biggest problem for me was probably the windshield spreaders. If I lined up the notches on the B pillar the angled cut for thewindshield bracket was way off. Looked like they let the tube roll a few degrees before they cut it. It was ok because it needed trimmed down anyway to get the windshield at the right angle. Wouldn't have taken so long but my girlfriend was pretty ginger with the grinder

August YJOTM

Unread 03-27-2014, 01:18 PM   #38
youngjeepr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I haven't done my windshield brackets yet but there will be big gaps in those... At least 1/4" but I'll just bolt them to the windshield and pull the windshield back while I tack them, then I'll just weld them so they don't move because of the gap.

I'm not impressed with BTF. Their customer service wasn't very good and shipping was extremely slow. With as many of these kits as they sell you would think they would be able to make better cuts..

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
Unread 03-31-2014, 06:31 PM   #39
youngjeepr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Well this weekend wasn't as productive as I wanted. I ended up helping my dad move all weekend.

So the only thing I got done was putting the accessories in place and realized I bought a long 4.2l crank. So tomorrow at work I'll cut 10mm off the old harmonic balancer so I can press the new one on the proper distance.

Hopefully I'll drill the aw4 to clock my t-case up and get the motor/trans/t-case installed this weekend and maybe fire up the motor.

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
Unread 04-09-2014, 10:18 AM   #40
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Any updates?

August YJOTM

Unread 04-09-2014, 01:15 PM   #41
youngjeepr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion
Any updates?
Not really I've been busy helping my dad move.

I got a new harmonic balancer for a 4.2l (serp style) and it ended up being to thick so I have to ship it back. But I'll go get the right balancer today or tomorrow.

I'm also picking up a freshly rebuilt AW4 with a torque converter tonight. So this weekend I'll pull the jeep in and get the motor installed. At least that's the plan.

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
Unread 04-09-2014, 01:18 PM   #42
youngjeepr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Oh and I lowered my seats.. It was such a pain in the ***. I couldn't keep the swivel style brackets so the seats are just mounted solid to the floor.. I don't like how the mounts look so I'll probably tie them into the cage once I get my new bender set up.

Ill post some pictures later tonight once I get off work.

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
Unread 04-09-2014, 07:31 PM   #43
youngjeepr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Here's a picture I took last week.. Sense this picture I painted the ac pumps Since I will be using it for OBA an dial sickened up the alternator and I put the water outlet on.

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
Unread 04-09-2014, 09:31 PM   #44
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Engine looks good. Could you not modify the brackets like I did? 1" wasn't enough?

August YJOTM

Unread 04-09-2014, 09:35 PM   #45
youngjeepr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion
Engine looks good. Could you not modify the brackets like I did? 1" wasn't enough?
No I couldn't... I took out a good 3" and the seats are still taller than id like them to be... When I'm sitting in the seat my head is only about 3-4" away from the cage.

The seats I have are REALLY thick for some reason. Later on in the summer when I build my full cage I'll buy some better seats.

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.