Are You Designing a Custom Exhaust System for Your Jeep? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Are You Designing a Custom Exhaust System for Your Jeep?

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3

Unread 07-08-2014, 05:21 PM   #1
Matt@Flowmaster
Vendor

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Systems 101: Designing a Custom Exhaust System for Your Jeep

Header Collector Ball Flange Kits:

The Flowmaster Ball Flange Kit takes the place of messy three bolt flange type connections and allows for a leak free and gasket free ball flange type connection. All kits are 16ga aluminized tubing and are sold in pairs.

Pipe Size:

The size of tubing used in an exhaust system is as important as selecting the right muffler. Your tubing diameter choice will affect the sound level and performance characteristics of the muffler, but keep in mind that bigger is not always better. Using tubing that is too large can actually hinder exhaust scavenging by slowing the velocity of exhaust pulses in the tubing. As a rule, most stock street applications running dual exhaust use 2.00” through 2.25” tubing, and modified street applications (dual exhaust) will generally use 2.25” or 2.50” tubing. Very rarely will 3.00” tubing be used in dual exhaust street applications.

In general, the following guidelines should be applied for street applications:

Single Pipe Diameter / Horsepower

2.50" / 150-200
3.00" / 200-250
3.50" / 250-350
4.00" / 350-425
4.50" / 425-500
5.00" / 500 and up

Dual Pipe Diameter / Horsepower

2.50" / up to 400
3.00" / up to 500
3.50" / up to 700
4.00" / up to 850
4.50" / up to 1,000

Balance Pipe(H-pipes and X-pipes):

Flowmaster strongly recommends using a crossover tube, otherwise known as an “H” pipe or balance pipe on all true dual exhaust systems. The crossover pipe equalizes the exhaust pulses and allows the sounds waves to communicate between both banks of the engine. Not only does this usually improve torque in the low to mid rpm range, it also creates a deeper mellower tone both inside and outside of the vehicle and helps eliminate “back-rap” on deceleration.

Flowmaster has performed extensive testing and determined that the “H” and “X” pipes deliver no significant difference in performance, but do affect tone, the “X” pipe giving off a higher pitched tone. Flowmaster Scavenger “X” pipes however, do increase torque through use of their patented D-Port technology and retain the deep Flowmaster muffler tone desired by most performance enthusiasts.

Muffler Selection:

The sound of your exhaust is much like music; we all have different preferences so it’s important that the system be “tuned” to what you like. With the Flowmaster family of products we can help accomplish this by answering the questions below. This approach will allow you to choose the best product to suit your needs and expectations.

1. What is the vehicle year, make, and model?
2. Which engine do you have or how much horsepower does it produce?
3. What is the vehicle used for? (i.e.: daily driver, race, towing etc.)
4. Preferred sound levels (interior and exterior?)
5. How are the space requirements?
6. Would you like a complete exhaust system or universal pipe kit if available? Single or dual outlet?

System Hangers:

Adequate hangers should be used to properly support the system. Flowmaster uses OE style hangers in all systems.

Resonators:

Resonators are designed to be used in conjunction with your mufflers for improved sound reduction. Resonators will help to eliminate interior resonance.

Stainless Tips/ Exit Location:

Flowmaster highly recommends running a minimum of 12” tailpipe after the muffler. This will not only greatly help in sound control, it will also provide an increase in exhaust efficiency (more power). Running tailpipes out from under the car in street applications will also direct the potentially harmful exhaust fumes away from the vehicle, as well as minimize the sound transmitted into the cab area of the vehicle.
Flowmaster's line of Stainless Steel Exhaust Tips are a great way to let people know that you have Flowmasters under your ride! They come in a variety of styles from brushed to polished and will greatly enhance the look of your vehicle!

If you have further questions regarding any of our products, please call (707) 544-4761 or visit our website.

Phone: (707)-544-4761 M-F 6AM – 5PM PST Sat 7:30AM – 5PM PST
automotiveforums@dpbrands.com
Matt@Flowmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2014, 01:31 PM   #2
AFRd_CJ5
1976 CJ5 

Matt,
quick question.... how much HP do you think is left on the table by running too small of exhaust?
Say somebody is running 950'ish with 3.5" pipe/mufflers?
Dana 30 front with 4.56's/Dana 44 rear with 4.88's
AFRd_CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2014, 02:21 PM   #3
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFRd_CJ5 View Post
Matt,
quick question.... how much HP do you think is left on the table by running too small of exhaust?
ok sorry to hijack but....whats up with the mismatched gearing and with that much HP, why on earth are you still running those whimpy axles....i mean if a stock 4.0L can shred them i can only imagine what 950'ish HP would do, not only that but ive built a few small blocks in my day...spent plenty of money still never managed to pull more than 650HP out of one(hmmmmm) and that was hard...but im a ford man now so...just askin...no disrespect meant

Shhhhhh I'm not crazy...It's just the voices in my head
freaknajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2014, 02:30 PM   #4
Matt@Flowmaster
Vendor

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Matt,
Those are some pretty high HP numbers! It's hard to say. Minimum, at least 2-3%, but really it could be anywhere from a 5% to a 7% loss of horsepower.

Unread 07-10-2014, 05:09 AM   #5
AFRd_CJ5
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaknajeep View Post
ok sorry to hijack but....whats up with the mismatched gearing and with that much HP, why on earth are you still running those whimpy axles....i mean if a stock 4.0L can shred them i can only imagine what 950'ish HP would do, not only that but ive built a few small blocks in my day...spent plenty of money still never managed to pull more than 650HP out of one(hmmmmm) and that was hard...but im a ford man now so...just askin...no disrespect meant
The rear is now a 9". There's quite a large number of people that run mismatched gearing in the sand. I noticed a big difference in stability after making a pass doing it. Front axle has alloy axles/etc., but we play in the sand, and run light wheels/tires up front. Never had an issue yet.
My motor is a large ci, E85, 23* head pump gas deal. Made a little over 650 on the motor, and I have two tuneups on the bottle. 250 and 300.
My dad runs about the same ci setup, but with 15* heads, and that makes way over 650 on motor alone.....
Unread 07-10-2014, 05:10 AM   #6
AFRd_CJ5
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@Flowmaster View Post
Those are some pretty high HP numbers! It's hard to say. Minimum, at least 2-3%, but really it could be anywhere from a 5% to a 7% loss of horsepower.
So probably not enough to make any changes. They have some strict noise laws at the sand dunes, so it's hard to get things as quiet as possible as it is. Thanks for the reply!
Unread 07-10-2014, 08:59 AM   #7
Matt@Flowmaster
Vendor

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So probably not enough to make any changes. They have some strict noise laws at the sand dunes, so it's hard to get things as quiet as possible as it is. Thanks for the reply!
It is always a good idea to have a properly flowing exhaust system. Flowmaster mufflers were conceived as a solution to sound ordinances at race tracks in California. Our company's success is based on our mufflers ability to quiet race cars without reducing performance. It can be done! Let me know if you need any assistance designing a system for your Jeep.

Unread 07-10-2014, 01:34 PM   #8
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
The rear is now a 9". There's quite a large number of people that run mismatched gearing in the sand. I noticed a big difference in stability after making a pass doing it. Front axle has alloy axles/etc., but we play in the sand, and run light wheels/tires up front. Never had an issue yet.
My motor is a large ci, E85, 23* head pump gas deal. Made a little over 650 on the motor, and I have two tuneups on the bottle. 250 and 300.
My dad runs about the same ci setup, but with 15* heads, and that makes way over 650 on motor alone.....
that makes a little more sense now....no chance of really "hooking" up in sand...i never got into the world of NOS except for once put a 50 shot on and old suzuki 1000 police bike that was bored out to 1300cc....made one really fast run down the track only to melt the head an piston...that and i only played with pre co-op year sbc's.....thanks for clearing up my confusion....and i bet those sand machines are a blast....

Shhhhhh I'm not crazy...It's just the voices in my head
freaknajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
custom , exhaust , flowmaster , muffler , system

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.