Yota to Jeep....My build - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Yota to Jeep....My build

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 05-23-2012, 12:23 PM   #91
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTJ
The build is coming out great man!

How much of a pain was it to remove the torx bolts that hold the cage in?

Also Ive been tryin to get tips from a few guys, how did you cut the welds on the inside of the frame for the upper spring perch?
Thanks man, it's been a fun project so far! Took it out for its first drive with the cage and no real rattles at all!

Ahhh those torx! As you can see they got replaced as I HATE torx heads. I would recommends to PB blast then from under the jeep. The worst ones were the floor side bolts as they would start easy then tighten up as the exposed threads started to pass through. For those I used some channel locks, gloves, and lots of cursing for when the channel locks slipped. I didn't want to mess the threads up so I made due. I do recall busting out the welder for the last floor side and worked a nut to the bolt. That seamed to work best since the heat helped loosen it up. So my recommendations is weld a nut and make life easy!

For the spring perch I used a 4.5 angle grinder and a dremel. Made life semi easy, a big hammer and pry bar helped brake the hard to get welds.

Molon Labe
Molonlabemike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2012, 01:35 AM   #92
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Little up date as I have been super busy over the last few days Put in another order for the Riddler rear diff cover for my 8.8 along with a new JKS track bar to finally correct this dam n offset issues

Also heard from Zach at AtoZ that my seats will be in on Thursday Will be about a week or so till I can get them installed at this point. I need to head down to pick up a stick of 1.5 DOM to get them all nice and snug.

Had a nice little traction package on my door step waiting for me when I got home. Thanks again to baseline4x4.com for the great deal & fast shipping

I also plan on rewiring all of my accessories correctly since I plan to Mosterliner the tub. I can finally put a stop to that rats nest that was looming around my battery. Just need to grab some relays and wire and go to town

Molon Labe
Unread 06-05-2012, 01:21 AM   #93
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Long overdue update, kinda good and kinda bad. Good news, got my seats, track bar, and diff cover in Bad news, having to pull the cage again to weld he bottom of the seat mounts. I was rather foolish to think I was going to weld them with the cage in. Have some rather poor welds so I will need to grind them out, reweld and gusset the crap out of it

I am on a 2 week count down till my trip so I really need to buckle down.

Seats look pretty good at first, then I really started to look them over and I am rather disappointed. I believe that Corbeau really needs to look at the QC as these should have never left the factory. First off the undersides were rather loose and looks to be thrown to together. The welds on the mounts had traces of porosity in welds some of the webbing on the inside of the seat was poking at the vinyl which was just begging to tear a hole in them. Also my favorite was the patch being sown on upside down . Put a call in to Zach who then called Corbeau, it loooks like they will make it right which is all well and fine....but really If I was not on a time crunch and could do it over I would have went with Mastercraft

With all that said I started to make some progress with the seat mounts.

I did get seats mounted and in their position....just forgot to take some photos

The rest of the night was cussing as I would bend myself small enought to get the undersides of the seat mounts. About that time I figured I was going to have to tear down the dash and pull the cage . On the upside, I am getting pretty dang quick at removing the dash

Molon Labe
Unread 06-05-2012, 01:28 AM   #94
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The brown santa dropped off some goodies which I hope to have installed this week

Finally have a 3 wheel drive jeep again since the axle swap! Also get to toss that think 8.8 diff cover that was just begging to get punched.

Also get to finally center my rear axle as well, looked pretty stupid running off seat

Molon Labe
Unread 06-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #95
G Beasley
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

That some clean looking fab work on the seat mounts . I ran my tubes through the dash without pulling it . I dont know which would be easier , as fishing the tubing through was tough .
Unread 06-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #96
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley
That some clean looking fab work on the seat mounts . I ran my tubes through the dash without pulling it . I dont know which would be easier , as fishing the tubing through was tough .
Thanks, I could have done the initial cage install without pulling the dash. Issue was welding and painting so I had to pull it. Now with the seats, I have to pull the cage to get access to the underside. I just do not feel safe with the welds I put down with limited access, so more work ahead!

Molon Labe
Unread 06-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #97
G Beasley
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molonlabemike View Post
I just do not feel safe with the welds I put down with limited access, so more work ahead!
I agree with you , the more comfortable you can get the better the weld . At least that holds true for this amateur . I had to get into some funky positions to weld up mine , but I made sure I was comfortable and took my time . In retrospect I suppose pulling the cage would have been easier than fishing the tube through over and over .
Unread 06-06-2012, 01:29 AM   #98
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
I agree with you , the more comfortable you can get the better the weld . At least that holds true for this amateur . I had to get into some funky positions to weld up mine , but I made sure I was comfortable and took my time . In retrospect I suppose pulling the cage would have been easier than fishing the tube through over and over .

Yup, I also think I need a small helmet as mine kept bumping into things . Did get the cage pulled, looks like the new floor additions made it impossible to pull without bending things. So after a little hammer action shes out and welded, just need to gussest a little bit more and shes ready.

Also need to fab up some harness tabs now. A vendor here dropped the ball and "forgot" to let me know they didn't have them in stock 5 days after my order. lesson learned

Molon Labe
Unread 06-06-2012, 10:31 AM   #99
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Looking good. Keep it up!
Unread 06-09-2012, 09:34 PM   #100
G Beasley
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Did you get the tabs cut out ? Weekend is at the halfway mark , wheres the update pictures ?
Unread 06-10-2012, 01:34 AM   #101
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Did you get the tabs cut out ? Weekend is at the halfway mark , wheres the update pictures ?
Ask and you shall receive! Very Busy weekend, in fact I am pretty beat but this adult beverage is making up for it

Nevertheless I had to go by some tabs as I drilled the wrong size holes in the tabs which rendered them useless. See my photos below for a better understanding!

Molon Labe
Unread 06-10-2012, 01:47 AM   #102
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Long weekend of wrenching, I really should say past week because I have wrenched everyday for the last 12 or so days. Got the Jeep back up and running and finally have 90% of the work completed, just waiting for Fedex to drop off my new Rokmen upper and lowers (front). Once those are on I just need to fine tune my rear axle location and wire the lights and compressor. I also found out that my Jeep has some local ganster blood in it since adding the sparten locker, its seams to love the 3 wheel motion on left turns Thankfully the first time it happened my dad was in the Jeep and explained that his old TJ did the same thing Turns out I need to get a stiffer rear swaybar to fix the gangster lean, I really need to get a vid of the jeep on 3 wheels! Also picked up a new full length bikini top for $60 which seams to be pretty nice, since its Smittybuilt I aleady snapped a strap other then that I am pretty happy! Also picked up some new hood clamp from daystar since the OGs are about done

Getting ready to install the Spartan, just a tip for those with 8.8s...leave the carrier in the rear end, no need to pull it.

Because I didn't know better I pulled the carrier, came out pretty easy.

Making sure I have everything to install the locker.

Now getting in the C clips was easy once your realize how you need to do it. I installed one C clip before installing the second locker half.

Installed the second half and jammed in the C Clip...I am so not looking forward to getting these out
Bolted everything back up and installed my revised Riddler Diff cover, had to make it a little custom

Molon Labe
Unread 06-10-2012, 01:53 AM   #103
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Now that the locker in installed I had to get the cage painted, after welding up all the tabs and new gussets I was ready to go!

Next was to requit some help to get the dam n cage back in, so much easier with more hand to help.

How everything worked out for the seats

Once the dash was in I installed the sliders, seats, and then the center console. Everything went pretty dang easy minus the B pillar bolts, its always something with these damn Jeeps

At this point I am waiting to cut the belts down, just need to do some fine tuning then everything will cleaned up.

Also got a gift from my ma, she said it must go on the Jeep! Being the driver I am he kinda just fits in nicely!

Molon Labe
Unread 06-10-2012, 02:01 AM   #104
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Since my dad sold his TJ (the white one in the photos at the beginning of the build) he has invested in a new toy/project. We installed a nice little bumper package from LOD at the same time which went pretty smooth! I can't wait till this Jeep is built as it will be an amazing piece of work! Also this morning we went to the local 4 wheel parts Truck fest which he spent some more cash on this damn thing! Nevertheless as a good son I provided the garage for us to get the Jeep put together!

Lift was installed by a local shop called 4West. Jeep has maybe 70 miles in which I have driven it 50 of those damn those 3.6 are

Molon Labe
Unread 06-10-2012, 11:00 PM   #105
G Beasley
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thats a nice looking JK . Hows the new penta star feel in it ? I had one in a Grand Cherokee that I rented last summer and it was awesome .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.