Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Yota to Jeep....My build

27K views 267 replies 25 participants last post by  mike_bfdr 
#1 ·
97 TJ Build up...nothing to see here, move along!

Well I figure it is finally time to start a build thread to show off, get direction, bitach, hide, waste time, ect! :rofl: Being that this is my first jeep I figure I might as well have fun with it. Plan to build a fun, go anywhere jeep that is somewhat streetable. My last rig was a 1989 4Runner that I built up then sadly sold :( but times have changed and this past year was the right time to start throwing money at something without a pulse again :thumbsup:

The Rig as purchased
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport
4.0L With AX-15, NP321 (147.xxx miles)
Danas 30/35 3.55 gear ratio
Flowmaster 40 Series
Doug Thorly header
K&N intake
4in Prochump lift (lower arms, springs, TC drop, horrible front track bar setup)
35x12.5-15 Falken Wildpeak A/T
Getto rigged spare tire carrier
Funky front bumper
Rubicon Stickers.....:hahaha:

When I bought my Jeep it had a few issues right off the bat. First I had a bad exhaust leak, couldn't hear the radio at highway speeds so my first goal was to find out the cause. Now the previous owner was clueless on the jeep but was guessing it was the header gasket. So with that as a starting point I popped the hood and started taking the motor apart. What I found was no gasket but the infamous cracked header. Called Doug Thorly headers and they said it was a known issue and I could wait 3 weeks and pay $150 for a new header :mad: so I had it welded up as a badaid and so far its held :rtft:

Couple days later the annual Off road expo came to down and I got to spend some cash on some goodies.
Picked up a set of Hella 5000 Rally for $50! 1in Daystar body lift $89 and complete Cobra CB with Firestick Antenna $110 Windshield brackets to mount the hellas $35

See less See more
#228 ·
Ok so getting back from KOH put a boot in my butt to start getting my trailer ready. Went down to the local steel yard and picks up some more metal then over to lowes to grab some hardware and a hitch mount. After some thinking I mounted up the main tow beam and shocks, just need to get some 1/2 spaces for the top bolts of the shocks and ill be gtg.

Next I need steel the tires off the Jeep so I can start working in the fenders. Soon as I can score some tires of Craigslist I can get this thing rolling, I just can't justify spending $500 on two tires for a trailer I hope to use a few times a year at this point.

Posting from my iPad, ill up load pics that don't try to defeat gravity

Attachments

#230 ·
Thanks, I can grab a few tomorrow after work. To be honest I have never been pulled over in the Jeep and I think the fact that I run no front plate, no mud flaps, 5 points, windshield ^, cracked windshield, and sometimes 3 wheel motion on left turns I would say its only a matter of time :rofl:. I think it also has to do with the fact that I drive the Jeep maybe 3k a year :(

But as far as light output, they rock for backups :cheers:

#243 ·
Well.....it looks like the big blue B lives to wheel another day! My beloved Subie is getting turned in as a lemon which is bitter sweet. Nevertheless I'm looking forward to putting some more time now into the Jeep. Now, to figure out where I can go to get her dirty and look like a jeep again!

Also need to wire up my led strip rock lights.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

#244 ·
Well.....it looks like the big blue B lives to wheel another day! My beloved Subie is getting turned in as a lemon which is bitter sweet. Nevertheless I'm looking forward to putting some more time now into the Jeep. Now, to figure out where I can go to get her dirty and look like a jeep again!

Also need to wire up my led strip rock lights.

:pickle::banana::bacon::carrot:

#250 ·
Sweet, I would love to do Forest Fest this year, but my rigs under the knife right now and progress is slow :laugh:. Plus I'd like to work out the kinks on a few runs before becoming a trail plug on an event. Still need tires too.

It's nice to know that Forest Fest is coming up because that means swarm weather wheelin topless/doorless! What trails are you running?

#251 ·
Moabrubi said:
Sweet, I would love to do Forest Fest this year, but my rigs under the knife right now and progress is slow :laugh:. Plus I'd like to work out the kinks on a few runs before becoming a trail plug on an event. Still need tires too.

It's nice to know that Forest Fest is coming up because that means swarm weather wheelin topless/doorless! What trails are you running?
It's pretty much Jeep weather now! I need to register but I plan to run John Bull and white mountain. Maybe night run Deep Creek

#253 ·
Well...what can I say. It been a pretty crappy weekend as everything I touch seams to get FOBRed :mad:

For starters 10 out of the nutcerts that we installed on my dads JK came loose. Next while halfway up Deep creek my double Cardan joint on my rear driveshaft blew out. That made a fun drive off the trail in front wheel drive, almost forgot an 8mm 12 point socket which would have really sucked. I get home and started going over the Jeep and found my rear axle seal went so I now to get redo those.

Yesterday I dropped the shaft off at Inland Driveline in Ontario and they quoted me $300 to fix it :eek: or $350 for a new shaft. So $350 later I have a new rear driveshaft.
Nevertheless I have a few days worth of work ahead of me to get the Jeep back up and running. Good news I did get my new seat belts, look good other then the buckles feel a little cheap.

Attachments

#266 ·
Yesterday I dropped the shaft off at Inland Driveline in Ontario and they quoted me $300 to fix it :eek: or $350 for a new shaft. So $350 later I have a new rear driveshaft.

WOW theres a place in san bernardino called ed more drive line i got my drive shaft for $257 with me taking 2 shafts for a Cherokee......... on a side not i was wondering if i can go take a look at you rear tire carrier and wanted to get a few ideas if thats cool with you?

#254 ·
Ouch. Lots of carnage! I hate when those nutserts get loose. I had one I didn't crush enough while installing my rocker guards and it was a pain to get out since it spun.

$300 to fix the double cardan joint? Ouch. Never heard of Inland Driveline, but I'm going to TW for my soon driveshaft needs since I've got a gift certificate.

#255 ·
Yeah I think the threads got mashed up while installing them and the resistance caused them to spin.

Yeah $300 was pretty steep, looking online I found a few kits I could have bought to repair it. Might order one and keep it as a spare or sell it and make some cash back. Inland is in Ontario off Gusti near the truck stops off the 10 and Miliken. I would have gotten get a TW but I needed one ASAP.

#259 ·
_KONG_ said:
Sucks about the carnage. Let us know how that new driveshaft holds up. I'll look into them when i get my sye done. Or if your old one can be fixed i might be interested
I will bolt up the new shaft tonight and hopefully get the axle seals replaced as well. I think I'm going to disassemble the driveshaft and see what failed and see what I can do to fix it. Found a kit for $90 so who knows.

#260 ·
So I started the rearend tear down last night. First I installed the new driveshaft which fit like a glove. Next I drained the oil and begun fighting my locker to pull the C clips. It's never fun trying to uninstall a locker but I finally won.

I then popped off the rotors and realized that brake pads were toast after being soaked in oil. Then after pulling the bearings I realize that the AutoZone tech gave me the wrong bearings and seals for axle. So at this point it was 11pm so I cleaned up and headed to the Autozone hub which is open 24 hours. Changed out the wrong parts and picked up the new E brake pads then headed home.

Since it was getting late I decides to start on the new belts. Now my issue, does anyone have an idea of my belts will be ok mounting them like this? I found a few threads which state if the harness bar is used you can moun them as such. As always better o check and be safe rather then sorry!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.