Yota to Jeep....My build - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Yota to Jeep....My build

** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 05-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #76
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ok it looks like I'm gonna need more DOM! Question for the cage gods, would I be safe in using 1.50 .120 wall DOM for my seat mounts? Im thinking I need to keep the weight down and think it will be ok. Your thoughts?

Molon Labe
Molonlabemike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2012, 09:23 PM   #77
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ok a little update...I am pretty dang beat, it's been a non stop over the last few days and it's taking it's toll on my body. Still pretty happy with my progress! Looks like my harness bar will be on Tuesday and my seats and harness will hopefully ship soon.

Finally got around to installing my bump stops, install went pretty easy and I can't wait to them them out!

All layout, pretty nice kit and I am looking forward to seeing how they bump out...I forgot to remove my springs and ensure that everything went well, gonna have to wait till I can flex it out!
This is what I am starting with....

So that's not going to work so let's start installing the bumps!

Getting them installed, went pretty smooth

Molon Labe
Unread 05-20-2012, 09:32 PM   #78
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Next was to finish up the cage and and install it , got everything I needed done today minus the C pillar mounts. I should be able to knock that out along with the dash tomorrow.

Cage was primed and painted, came out pretty nice and the install was pretty easy.

Since i will be installing my new seats I left some of the cage unprinted, this will allow quick work when welding them in! Replaced those dam n B pillars with some grade 8 hex head bolts, made the install way simpler!

Finally drilled out the A pillar mounts, goal was to get them tied into the frame.

Made some frame reinforcements out of some 4x6x1/4 strap, should hold up nice. Also had to fab up the bushing tabs which are also out of 1/4 steel, shouldnt have any issues with them in the event I have to use them.

Now from what I read that it's a pretty good idea to to sandwich a piece of DOM between the floorplates. In theory this should eliminate the false floor from collapsing In the event that I got rubber side up.

Had to drill out the hole, used a 2in hole saw so I count account for the welds.

Got them all burned in!

Also got the front bumper paint and mounted the lights...not sure how I feel out the lights.

View from the front, gotta figure out the hole rear view morrow thing.

Also spent some time getting my door molds fitted, nothing a little dermal can't get fit!

And here she sits now, hopefully I'm not soar to get the C pillars and dash nocked out.

Molon Labe
Unread 05-20-2012, 10:48 PM   #79
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Wow man great job. That looks like it was a ton of work.
dongalonga is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2012, 10:56 PM   #80
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongalonga View Post
Wow man great job. That looks like it was a ton of work.
Thanks man it's been a long week or sanding and fabben! Cant wait to throw the dash back in and get it mop being under its own power

Molon Labe
Unread 05-21-2012, 08:40 AM   #81
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The tie ins look nice , and the false floor reinforcement is a great idea .
Unread 05-21-2012, 09:05 AM   #82
Xtremegameroom
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Wow man it looks great! You do some nice work
I had a pair of hellas on my Taco and I wasn't happy with them at all. They were more like spot lights and had no light spread so they really didn't do anything.
I got my roof rack leds hooked up this weekend and they practically light up the whole neighborhood.
If you don't mind spending the money they are a great light and they only pull about half the amperage as the hellas. Plus they're pretty small so they won't stick out like a sore thumb

http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Lighting-Jee...&t_pn=RIG20211
Xtremegameroom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 09:10 AM   #83
Xtremegameroom
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The other thing you can do if you want to keep them if you don't like the rock covers you can paint them black. I did that to mine and it came out pretty good
Xtremegameroom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #84
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Kinda thought so myself, from what I read people who flopped pushed there mounts through the floor I know we must make compromises when building a cage on a TJ and trying to retain the stock elements.

Molon Labe
Unread 05-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #85
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremegameroom View Post
Wow man it looks great! You do some nice work
I had a pair of hellas on my Taco and I wasn't happy with them at all. They were more like spot lights and had no light spread so they really didn't do anything.
I got my roof rack leds hooked up this weekend and they practically light up the whole neighborhood.
If you don't mind spending the money they are a great light and they only pull about half the amperage as the hellas. Plus they're pretty small so they won't stick out like a sore thumb

http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Lighting-Jee...&t_pn=RIG20211
I was planning on throwing a HID setup in them and calling it good. I do plan to get some new LED lights, I was kinda putting them on my want list till the prices come down.

Molon Labe
Unread 05-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #86
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Also, pick up some 9/16 bushing (metal not poly) and cut down to fit on the bolts furthest from the door on the A pillar. You will notice you will have about an inch gap on those 2 bolts and the bushing prevents any collapsing with the plate. Hopefully that makes sense!

Molon Labe
Unread 05-21-2012, 10:42 PM   #87
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well it's been a long long 3 day weekend for me, but got a lot done and she's driving again!

I have some small projects to get completed, need to finish the driver side C pillar tie-in. Passenger side took up much more time then I though and waking up late didn't help!

Drilled out the factory C pillar mounts and added some nice 9/16 hardware, I don't see this going anywhere....I just hope I never have to find out! (I see I didn't have the washers I place, I promise I have some 9/16 grade 8 washers)

Now I was going to just leave the bushing mounts square but I figured I might as well male it look nicer...not 100% sure these came out that nice lol

For the frame side mount I use a piece of 2x4x1/4 strap ontop of the frame then welded the DOM to that. Driver side is going to suck since I have the fuel lines to work around.

Molon Labe
Unread 05-21-2012, 10:52 PM   #88
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Since day light was running low I started to throw in the dash. I am crossing my fingers I don't need to remove it again to mount seats.

In the process of uninstalling and installing the dash I managed to scuff the steering bezel pretty good. Tried to paint it but that looked worse so I need to either strip it and start fresh or buy a new one.

While out driving I went to my local Jeep Gym and flexed the Jeep out to see how everything went. Looks like my rear bumps might be a tad short....I mean a tad! Also my from swap was still connected so no pointing fingers!

Little side shot! Over all pretty happy with it, just need to get my seats and locker in and I'm ready! Well now I think about it, I need to finish the wiring and Monsterline the tub....

Molon Labe
Unread 05-23-2012, 01:03 AM   #89
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Another late night innthe garage tonight, can't really say it was 100% productive....on the other hand I let my creative juices flow! First was to paint the inside my fender wells in the rear, the faded blue was not really working so I sprayed them down in black. Also pushed my rear axle out 1/4 on the driver side since it was a tad off after installing my coil buckets. Now the fun started, I know I am not the first to pull this mod off but that didn't matter. I installed my Easy button!!!!! After debating the location I think I selected the best and simplistic location....Enjoy!

First you need to pop the button apart, ai,ply pop off the black screw covers and remove the screws. After that pull it apart and remove the weights that make it heavier then it need to be, that's where I put the u bolts. Next simply drill the holes and install the u bolts, I added some loctight to ensure a nice strong hold.

As you can see its pretty tight so small nuts are a plus!
Start putting it back together, I put the zip tie in and wrenched the u bolts so it wouldn't wobble.

Once you put it all together you should end up with this!

Now put it where ever you decided would be best, in my case I put it out of the way attached to the cage.

Like I said it was a rather productive night in the garage! Also got a chance to add abottle opener, slapped it to the inside of my tire gate. Nice simple and refreshing mod I might say

Molon Labe
Unread 05-23-2012, 10:07 AM   #90
AngryTJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The build is coming out great man!

How much of a pain was it to remove the torx bolts that hold the cage in?

Also Ive been tryin to get tips from a few guys, how did you cut the welds on the inside of the frame for the upper spring perch?

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f345/jf-trip-2-0-a-2608114/"][SIZE="3"][B]
2015 Colorado Trip[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
AngryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.