Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Yota to Jeep....My build

27K views 267 replies 25 participants last post by  mike_bfdr 
#1 ·
97 TJ Build up...nothing to see here, move along!

Well I figure it is finally time to start a build thread to show off, get direction, bitach, hide, waste time, ect! :rofl: Being that this is my first jeep I figure I might as well have fun with it. Plan to build a fun, go anywhere jeep that is somewhat streetable. My last rig was a 1989 4Runner that I built up then sadly sold :( but times have changed and this past year was the right time to start throwing money at something without a pulse again :thumbsup:

The Rig as purchased
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport
4.0L With AX-15, NP321 (147.xxx miles)
Danas 30/35 3.55 gear ratio
Flowmaster 40 Series
Doug Thorly header
K&N intake
4in Prochump lift (lower arms, springs, TC drop, horrible front track bar setup)
35x12.5-15 Falken Wildpeak A/T
Getto rigged spare tire carrier
Funky front bumper
Rubicon Stickers.....:hahaha:

When I bought my Jeep it had a few issues right off the bat. First I had a bad exhaust leak, couldn't hear the radio at highway speeds so my first goal was to find out the cause. Now the previous owner was clueless on the jeep but was guessing it was the header gasket. So with that as a starting point I popped the hood and started taking the motor apart. What I found was no gasket but the infamous cracked header. Called Doug Thorly headers and they said it was a known issue and I could wait 3 weeks and pay $150 for a new header :mad: so I had it welded up as a badaid and so far its held :rtft:

Couple days later the annual Off road expo came to down and I got to spend some cash on some goodies.
Picked up a set of Hella 5000 Rally for $50! 1in Daystar body lift $89 and complete Cobra CB with Firestick Antenna $110 Windshield brackets to mount the hellas $35

See less See more
#96 ·
G Beasley said:
That some clean looking fab work on the seat mounts . I ran my tubes through the dash without pulling it . I dont know which would be easier , as fishing the tubing through was tough .
Thanks, I could have done the initial cage install without pulling the dash. Issue was welding and painting so I had to pull it. Now with the seats, I have to pull the cage to get access to the underside. I just do not feel safe with the welds I put down with limited access, so more work ahead!

#97 ·
I just do not feel safe with the welds I put down with limited access, so more work ahead!
I agree with you , the more comfortable you can get the better the weld . At least that holds true for this amateur . I had to get into some funky positions to weld up mine , but I made sure I was comfortable and took my time . In retrospect I suppose pulling the cage would have been easier than fishing the tube through over and over .

#102 ·
Long weekend of wrenching, I really should say past week because I have wrenched everyday for the last 12 or so days. Got the Jeep back up and running and finally have 90% of the work completed, just waiting for Fedex to drop off my new Rokmen upper and lowers (front). Once those are on I just need to fine tune my rear axle location and wire the lights and compressor. I also found out that my Jeep has some local ganster blood in it since adding the sparten locker, its seams to love the 3 wheel motion on left turns :rofl: Thankfully the first time it happened my dad was in the Jeep and explained that his old TJ did the same thing :shhh: Turns out I need to get a stiffer rear swaybar to fix the gangster lean, I really need to get a vid of the jeep on 3 wheels! Also picked up a new full length bikini top for $60 which seams to be pretty nice, since its Smittybuilt I aleady snapped a strap :thumbdown: other then that I am pretty happy! Also picked up some new hood clamp from daystar since the OGs are about done :mad:

Getting ready to install the Spartan, just a tip for those with 8.8s...leave the carrier in the rear end, no need to pull it.

Because I didn't know better I pulled the carrier, came out pretty easy.

Making sure I have everything to install the locker.

Now getting in the C clips was easy once your realize how you need to do it. I installed one C clip before installing the second locker half.

Installed the second half and jammed in the C Clip...I am so not looking forward to getting these out :laugh:
Bolted everything back up and installed my revised Riddler Diff cover, had to make it a little custom ;)

#103 ·
Now that the locker in installed I had to get the cage painted, after welding up all the tabs and new gussets I was ready to go!

Next was to requit some help to get the dam n cage back in, so much easier with more hand to help.

How everything worked out for the seats

Once the dash was in I installed the sliders, seats, and then the center console. Everything went pretty dang easy minus the B pillar bolts, its always something with these damn Jeeps

At this point I am waiting to cut the belts down, just need to do some fine tuning then everything will cleaned up.

Also got a gift from my ma, she said it must go on the Jeep! Being the driver I am he kinda just fits in nicely!

#104 ·
Since my dad sold his TJ (the white one in the photos at the beginning of the build) he has invested in a new toy/project. We installed a nice little bumper package from LOD at the same time which went pretty smooth! I can't wait till this Jeep is built as it will be an amazing piece of work! Also this morning we went to the local 4 wheel parts Truck fest which he spent some more cash on this damn thing! Nevertheless as a good son I provided the garage for us to get the Jeep put together!

Lift was installed by a local shop called 4West. Jeep has maybe 70 miles in which I have driven it 50 of those :D damn those 3.6 are

#115 ·
G Beasley said:
Not bad so far, though I am already drawing up a new cage in my head! I do think I am going to re gear in the near future, it was a slow frustrating climb over the mountains this morning.
4.10s? Heck I didn't think my 3:55 were that bad lol I think I'll regear to 4:88 next year when I get my tax return. Need to throw an ARB into that mix as well lol

Can't wait to see some photos!

#124 ·
Little update!

I still need to post some photos from my last trip to big bear. Little Jeep did great and is sporting some new dings. Put in a small order for a new riddler front diff cover, 760x u joints, and a HD u bolt kit for the from diff. Figured I might as well replace it since my oil seal is shot.

It also seams like my tranny is clinging to life as it won't release out of 3 sometimes. Found a local shop that has rebuilt AX15s ready to go for $750 with the core exchange...I am so not looking forward to swapping it out but I need to so I can drive! Also planning on a Hammers trip in Oct for the Victory Valley 4 Wheelers round up.

Still need to get new front fenders, shocks, front locker, belly plan and figure out my rear end bumps as they are over flexing.

#129 ·
'92 vegas YJ said:
looks great man. i love the cage. how do you like those seats? im thinking of getting a set in the near future. was AtoZ the best price you found?
Thanks! The seats are pretty good, few post up I kinda listed my opinion. Over all, I think they are nice seat for the money. If I could do it over I would spend a little more and get some PRP or master crafts as there craftsmanship is far better from what I have seen.

As far as pricing goes, I feel that Zach gave me a fair price and I have done plenty of business with him in the past. Shoot him a PM or email and see what rate he can give you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.