Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Yota to Jeep....My build

27K views 267 replies 25 participants last post by  mike_bfdr 
#1 ·
97 TJ Build up...nothing to see here, move along!

Well I figure it is finally time to start a build thread to show off, get direction, bitach, hide, waste time, ect! :rofl: Being that this is my first jeep I figure I might as well have fun with it. Plan to build a fun, go anywhere jeep that is somewhat streetable. My last rig was a 1989 4Runner that I built up then sadly sold :( but times have changed and this past year was the right time to start throwing money at something without a pulse again :thumbsup:

The Rig as purchased
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport
4.0L With AX-15, NP321 (147.xxx miles)
Danas 30/35 3.55 gear ratio
Flowmaster 40 Series
Doug Thorly header
K&N intake
4in Prochump lift (lower arms, springs, TC drop, horrible front track bar setup)
35x12.5-15 Falken Wildpeak A/T
Getto rigged spare tire carrier
Funky front bumper
Rubicon Stickers.....:hahaha:

When I bought my Jeep it had a few issues right off the bat. First I had a bad exhaust leak, couldn't hear the radio at highway speeds so my first goal was to find out the cause. Now the previous owner was clueless on the jeep but was guessing it was the header gasket. So with that as a starting point I popped the hood and started taking the motor apart. What I found was no gasket but the infamous cracked header. Called Doug Thorly headers and they said it was a known issue and I could wait 3 weeks and pay $150 for a new header :mad: so I had it welded up as a badaid and so far its held :rtft:

Couple days later the annual Off road expo came to down and I got to spend some cash on some goodies.
Picked up a set of Hella 5000 Rally for $50! 1in Daystar body lift $89 and complete Cobra CB with Firestick Antenna $110 Windshield brackets to mount the hellas $35

See less See more
#2 ·
Next issue was the factor rear track bar mount was ripping for a second time so I had to reweld that up...already this is costing me money :rofl:

Also driving it around I noticed that getting into gear was hard and the tranny loved to grind. Searched on JF found it to be a rather semi common issue and started working on solutions. First was the clutch slave, nadda :confused: then I changed the tranny fluid to mobile 1 which helped a little but still having issues going into first gear. Next I pulled the trigger and ordered up a Lux factory replacement and installed it a few hours. Seamed to help but after a few hundred miles 4 gear still grinds and doesn't always let me in depending on revs :confused: So I think a tranny rebuild is inline down the road. :thumbdown:

Since all I was doing was spending money and fixing it I wanted to take it for a little test trip. Few days before a wheelen trip I took it down to the bridge to see what she flexed at...not to bad for starters, gonna have to figure out a short, mid, or long arm set up very soon.

#3 ·
Next on my list was the rims... pretty much the most anti blingy guy out there so a little paint and vala :cool:

Finally it was time to hit the dirt and go play on the rocks. Being that we just missed the veterans run in big bear Holcomb was pretty trashed. This made for a bit more challenge and more time then we had planned. Never the less it was all in good fun, it was great to see what the Jeep could do :thumbsup: Nothing better then a great day of wheel with my dad.

Now I was getting a little cocky with my jeep and found this little rock. Got pretty hung up and added a few dents in the oil pan :teehee: Took us about 45min to recover due to the oil pan and not wanting to roll a bead. Nothing a little road work, winch and hilift couldn't fix.

#4 ·
Now the Dana 35 is not gonna last long pulling the 35s so I have to be pretty careful with the skinny pedal. Few weeks after I bought my jeep I picked up a Ford 8.8 with 3.55 gear ratio for $150. Got it stripped down and primed to prevent rust and also gave it a once over inside and out.

Gotta get some pics of the brake setup I got from east coast, look great and shipped pretty fast. Next check I plan to order up the bracket kit from Iron Rock Off road. Was planning on picking up the Artic Truss 8.8 set up but $340 plus shipping and tax is a bit rich for my blood. I have no idea how long the 8.8 will be running for so I wont stress it to to much. Once that arrives I start burning those on so I can finally ditch the 35.

Also got a little 18in package today to complete my SYE kit I just installed. Curtis over at Tonto is freaking amazing, ordered my shaft on Sunday and had it Wed! Got it bolted up, feels so much better then the TC spacers the PO had installed.

Now, one issue I found while looking the shaft over, the zerk fitting on the TC side looks revered or broken. Never seen anything like it before, look normal
?

And of course installed to complement my SYE, need to get some arms built to fine tune the angle

#6 ·
Lost a few photos when I lost my phone, I'll see what I can come up with. It was cracked/missing on each connection of the down tubes. My local muffler guys did the welding and said that the metal crystallized which made it a PITA to weld. I will say I do not look forward to replacing it anytime soon, it was a real pain to remove and reinstall

#7 ·
Quick up date, Finally got around to building my jack stands. Apparently old habbits die hard as I way over built the jack stand.... at least I will know they wont brake while using them :D Also finally welded up my 8.8 tubes in preparation for my Iron rock off road bracket kit which should be here on Thursday. One small set back was having to pull my new drive shaft to have it shortened about an inch or so, plan to ship it Monday :rolleyes: Other then that had a great time wheel with my pops and seeing how she does in the white stuff. Pictures to follow

welds look much better in person!
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content

3/16 2x2 with 1.5 .120 wall & 1/4 2x2 AI jack stands

and the poser shots from the trip

#12 ·
Ok little update

Dropped the rear end out last night to swap in the 8.8. Waiting on FedEx to drop off my bracket kit, flange, u joint for the swap. Picked up a custom brake line for the rear since I threw the old one away :laugh:.

Also dropped by ford to order up my shock tower project and flange bolts, pics to follow soon. Now to finish up these chicken strips :drool:

#13 ·
Talk about a long day! Been pretty much on the go with the 8.8 since about 10. Cause I couldn't wait for my help to show up I kinda out a 3 hour delay on the 8.8 install :shhh: never the less got it under and all mocked up. Tomorrow should be a rather productive day, got finish up the brakes and paint then bot on she goes. Also I will be getting my new pitman arm to replace the junk drop pitman arm:)

welds looking ok for not welding in about 5 years :laugh:

and this is how we left it for the night....

#15 ·
Well after 2 long days of working on the Jeep the 8.8 swap is complete :cheers2: Ran into a few issues, I tried to install the axle myself which really did work out so hot. Thinking my math was wrong I untacked the lower control arms which was a big mistake :eek: never the less 2 hours later we got it all worked out. Now I am just waiting on Curtis to send out my driveshaft since he had to remake it :teehee:

Went from this paper weight

to this :thumbsup:

Now my dads side gave him a little fuss

a little kicking a cussing later

She is in!

#16 ·
well I got a bunch of things completed over the last few days. Plan to order a set of Savvy upper control arms for the rear. Soon as my budget allows I need to order a set of lowers, new front 4in Currie springs, and rear shocks to start my outboard project :2thumbsup: gonna take a little longer then planned since I owe Uncle Sam about $1300 in taxes :thumbdown:

First project was my front lower control arm skids...the Skid rows had to go since they were bulky and took up axle clearance. So I fabbed up some "Currie" like skids to help minimize the axle skid plate real estate. For an hour long project I think they came out pretty well :D

#17 ·
After weeks of searching I finally came upon a used 35x12.50R15 to replace my 33 spare. Pick up a Goodyear MTR with passable tread for $20, not horrible but for a spare it will do. Got it mounted up and test fit in the rear of the Jeep, looks like its gonna fit like a glove. Also had to paint the rim to match since I was waiting till I got a 35 spare.

I used the Dupli color self etching primer as a base then a Teflon engine paint to coat.

And the final results, please not the rim is not blotchy as seen in the pic....damn camera

#18 ·
Another Update!

I have spent the last week building my new rear bumper! Long long hours of grinding, welding, cutting, cussing, and some duggers. Over all I am pretty happy with the build, better photos to come shortly.

Where I started, had to cut off my welded on hitch so had a few touch up spots!

Now getting the basic shape

Now this is where working 5 plus hours after working a long day with out taking a dinner break kicks in. Once my latch was ready to be welded up I got a little happy and welded the swing arm closed!!!!!

Nothing sleep and a cutting wheel couldn't fix

And this is how she sits now, waiting for the paint to cure 100% before throwing my spare up. Overall happy and should hold up just fine :)

#19 ·
Another quick update! Mounted my highlift to the bumper as well to free up some in cab room. Because of how the highlift was mounted I ran into a small issue with with the tail lights. So that forced me to ditch the stockers and get some 4in lights from Harbor Freight which look so much better.

Wired up the factory Green w/black stripe to the new red wire and the all white factory wire to the new black wire. Simple ground and I was done. Now I am missing reverse lights and a lic plate light which I will solve her shortly. Any suggestions on a way to rig up reverse lights?

Also painted my sliders, corner panels and flares which came out pretty good. Tomorrow I should get my rear bumper enforcements in from BSERK and my ROKMEN upper control arms will be in on Wed!

#21 ·
Ok a little update....Rokmen delivered :cheers:

Got my Rokmen upper and lowers for my rearend, flexed it out and dam& its nice. Time to cut off the spring perches and and bump the rear end as im shoving the tires into the tub :rtft:

Beefey
yeah those rear uppers needed to go :nono:
Now once I pulled off the lowers I found this...I think I sourced my rear clunking issue. Looks like I need to get some weld on washers to fix the issue.

#25 ·
Ok a little update! Seams like forever ago since I bumped this thread with some new work, I guess everything else going on kinda got in the way! Got out and wheel a couple of weeks ago and had a blast, never running this trail before I screwed up and didn't disconnect my swaybar :shhh: Nevertheless it was a great time and really worked the open/open jeep pretty dang good.

Aaron getting his pucker factor on, sorry for not getting the photo when you where about a foot higher! :rofl:

and best of all the view in some spots was pretty nice!

#27 ·
After saving up for a few weeks I was able to put new things in the works. Put my order in for a new Engo winch, might have to cancel as its about 1 month out and I am on a deadline. While waiting I was able to start on my front bumper to replace that fugly front bumper that came with the jeep :laugh: Also ordered a cage add on from A to Z fab along with purchasing some extra DOM to reinforce the factory cage. Looking forward to getting everything installed and hope I never need to test it:shhh:

For my starting point I went to my local steel yard and had them cut my main bumper parts out of 1/4in steel.

Getting everything starting

Also mounted up the lower support as well.

As she sits now, just waiting for my winch hoop to come in from A to Z fab. Also need to install my clevis mounts once those get in. After that a little smoothing with the angle grinder :2thumbsup:

More to come as things get delivered :D

#32 ·
Thanks man, its been a fun and expensive last couple of months:laugh: Should start seeing a bit more progress as the UPS and FedEx guys start showing up :teehee:

Heres a pic of my old 89, after snapping of the motor mount I decided that it was the perfect time to SAS. I loved that rig but timing just wasn't right so it had to go. One day I plan to build another, I too just love the way they look. :tea:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.