YJ 94 build and wheeling - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > YJ 94 build and wheeling

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Reply
Unread 02-23-2013, 05:02 AM   #31
Benzfrd
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: schwenksville, pa
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW_327 View Post
Hack&tap SYE's are fine if you take your time and cut the shaft straight. I run Whyjaypa's old RE hack&tap and I have no problems running 75 down the high way with out vibes. I installed mine in like an hour and had no problems cutting or tapping the shaft, I'm pretty good with a grinder and tap though lol. I don't think I've ever heard of someone breaking a H&T sye, they get a lot bad rep but they work just fine if installed correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Thank you for your time and advice I already ordered the hack and tap, and I'll be installing it next week. I consider myself good with a grinder and have confidence in my straight cuts.

I did hear of a few tips, let me know what you think of them.
1. Tape off cut, then have friend spin driveshaft while holding grinder in place.
2. Remove front driveshaft, put truck in 4L, then put in gear to allow it to spin itself. This is supposed to ensure a straight cut, then repeat for drilling the shaft.

Any other advice or tips you guys may have on this, I would greatly appreciate anything.

Benzfrd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2013, 06:20 AM   #32
CDW_327
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Commerce MI/Traverse city MI, Michigan
Posts: 1,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzfrd

Thank you for your time and advice I already ordered the hack and tap, and I'll be installing it next week. I consider myself good with a grinder and have confidence in my straight cuts.

I did hear of a few tips, let me know what you think of them.
1. Tape off cut, then have friend spin driveshaft while holding grinder in place.
2. Remove front driveshaft, put truck in 4L, then put in gear to allow it to spin itself. This is supposed to ensure a straight cut, then repeat for drilling the shaft.

Any other advice or tips you guys may have on this, I would greatly appreciate anything.
It really doesn't matter if you cut the shaft all that straight. The flange fits tightly over the splines of the output shaft and has no way to get crooked on the shaft. You could literally cut the shaft on a 45* angle and the flange would still go on straight because of the splines on the shaft are still straight and fit the flange tightly. If you have enough play in your splines to allow the flange to become crooked you have bigger problems then a uneven cut on the shaft.

When people get vibes from a hack&tap SYE it's usually because of a bent output shaft in the T-case.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
__________________
Getting Redemption: 93 YJ Build
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/yj-redemption-93-wrangler-build-1368262/
CDW_327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #33
WhyJayPA
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mechanicsburg, PA
Posts: 559
You may be correct there CDW. Im not 100% sure why my tcase vibrated so bad. It may have been a bent output shaft. I know that it was not cut straight and i just assumed that was the problem without looking into it heavily. I figured either way id be pulling the tcase and splitting it so i may as well do a true sye kit while i have it split.
__________________
'88 YJ SBC 350, SM465 Trans, 8.8 Locked, HP D30 Locked, NP231, 3.5" BDS Springs, 33" Duratracs
WhyJayPA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #34
CDW_327
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Commerce MI/Traverse city MI, Michigan
Posts: 1,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyJayPA
You may be correct there CDW. Im not 100% sure why my tcase vibrated so bad. It may have been a bent output shaft. I know that it was not cut straight and i just assumed that was the problem without looking into it heavily. I figured either way id be pulling the tcase and splitting it so i may as well do a true sye kit while i have it split.
Yeah, a true style SYE is definitely stronger because you get more splines on the output shaft but the H&T is not a bad option. I just really don't see the flange getting crooked because of a bad cut, if you have 100% straight cut factory spines, I could be wrong though

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
__________________
Getting Redemption: 93 YJ Build
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/yj-redemption-93-wrangler-build-1368262/
CDW_327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2013, 08:05 PM   #35
Benzfrd
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: schwenksville, pa
Posts: 144
Thanks guys for all the info.

I am not worried at all anymore I will post up pics of the job as it is being done. Hopefully the parts will be in tuesday. I have the hard choice of tires this week. I would really like any Ideas on what tires to go with.

I was thinking BFG All Terrains I have my stock rims and some other rims sitting around They are 15" So I was thinkng of putting 32 on. I dont need any bigger than that no need kinda deal. The other tires I found were the BFG Mud terrains.
The tires I would like need to be good for a DD and of coarse reliable off road as well. I do understand that its hard to get both but I figured I would ask you guys.
Benzfrd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2013, 08:23 PM   #36
CDW_327
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Commerce MI/Traverse city MI, Michigan
Posts: 1,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzfrd
Thanks guys for all the info.

I am not worried at all anymore I will post up pics of the job as it is being done. Hopefully the parts will be in tuesday. I have the hard choice of tires this week. I would really like any Ideas on what tires to go with.

I was thinking BFG All Terrains I have my stock rims and some other rims sitting around They are 15" So I was thinkng of putting 32 on. I dont need any bigger than that no need kinda deal. The other tires I found were the BFG Mud terrains.
The tires I would like need to be good for a DD and of coarse reliable off road as well. I do understand that its hard to get both but I figured I would ask you guys.
I run BFG KM2's and they are the best mud terrain tires I have ever had on the road and I love them offroad. I don't notice any road noise with them so far and you should be able to get 40K out of them. I had BFG AT KO's on my pickup and they were great, pretty good in just about everything but mud. The AT's were loud for a AT though. I would go for the MUDs since you live in PA and there lots of mud around. I would also just go with a 33, it's a good size for a Street/trail rig plus BFGs run about an inch under advertised sizing.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
__________________
Getting Redemption: 93 YJ Build
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/yj-redemption-93-wrangler-build-1368262/
CDW_327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 05:26 AM   #37
WhyJayPA
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mechanicsburg, PA
Posts: 559
Goodyear Duratracs get my vote. Such an awesome tire
__________________
'88 YJ SBC 350, SM465 Trans, 8.8 Locked, HP D30 Locked, NP231, 3.5" BDS Springs, 33" Duratracs
WhyJayPA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 08:44 AM   #38
bigdhamYJ
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 313
In reference to your clutch problem... It sounds like you need to either bleed the system and or check your fluid level. I know on my 93 it's fairly simple to bleed (just like brakes, takes two people) and it should help build up pressure and determine your release point. When my system loses pressure the Jeep acts like it has no clutch because it's a hydraulic system. Hope that helps you some. I've dropped my transmission twice to replace the internal slave cylinder, yours should be external because it's a 94, but a good system bleed should fix that!
__________________
"Who knew coolant keeps the motor cool?"
Check out my Heep "build"
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/bigdhamyjs-1993-yj-build-slow-1284516/
bigdhamYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #39
Benzfrd
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: schwenksville, pa
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdhamYJ View Post
In reference to your clutch problem... It sounds like you need to either bleed the system and or check your fluid level. I know on my 93 it's fairly simple to bleed (just like brakes, takes two people) and it should help build up pressure and determine your release point. When my system loses pressure the Jeep acts like it has no clutch because it's a hydraulic system. Hope that helps you some. I've dropped my transmission twice to replace the internal slave cylinder, yours should be external because it's a 94, but a good system bleed should fix that!
Thanks alot for that tip. I will check that out and try that soon, It isnt being drivin right now till I get this Hack and tap in. But I will add that to my punch list. Thanks
Benzfrd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #40
Benzfrd
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: schwenksville, pa
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW_327 View Post
I run BFG KM2's and they are the best mud terrain tires I have ever had on the road and I love them offroad. I don't notice any road noise with them so far and you should be able to get 40K out of them. I had BFG AT KO's on my pickup and they were great, pretty good in just about everything but mud. The AT's were loud for a AT though. I would go for the MUDs since you live in PA and there lots of mud around. I would also just go with a 33, it's a good size for a Street/trail rig plus BFGs run about an inch under advertised sizing.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

The tire size to me is more or less for show I wanted a 32 because the tire is just big enough for some fun Lokks good in the wheeel well...but limits me as well and makes me have to think more with some things. . Im all about a good line and grace when it comes to wheeling. I know everybody is gonna say bigger is better but in my opinion its not. Plus it looks a little goofy to cram a huge tire in a small space. . That and for a set of 5 its $125 cheeper a size down.... I havent decided yet on my tires till I buy them though. So please any other feed back let me know.

Tire rack has 5 BFG's All terrain with shipping $850 and I will get them set and ballanced for free
If you guys know anything cheeper give me a heads up I should be ordering this week (hopefully)
And thanks for your time
Benzfrd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2013, 06:38 AM   #41
bigdhamYJ
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzfrd View Post
The tire size to me is more or less for show I wanted a 32 because the tire is just big enough for some fun Lokks good in the wheeel well...but limits me as well and makes me have to think more with some things. . Im all about a good line and grace when it comes to wheeling. I know everybody is gonna say bigger is better but in my opinion its not. Plus it looks a little goofy to cram a huge tire in a small space. . That and for a set of 5 its $125 cheeper a size down.... I havent decided yet on my tires till I buy them though. So please any other feed back let me know.

Tire rack has 5 BFG's All terrain with shipping $850 and I will get them set and ballanced for free
If you guys know anything cheeper give me a heads up I should be ordering this week (hopefully)
And thanks for your time
Take it from someone who's done it twice now. Go with a little larger tire and if you just absolutely are not happy, it'll be easier to sell and downsize or trade with a little cash coming to you for smaller tires. I said "Yes, 33x10.50's will be great" Bought a set, then went spring over, did an 8.8 axle swap and some other various accompanying mods and said "Hmmm I want 35x12.50's now" So I had to go out of my way to find a little wider rim, bought those. I LUCKED OUT and found a guy on Craigslist 4.5 hours away from me that was willing to meet me halfway and straight traded my 33's for his 35's because they were just too big for his old hunting truck. I lucked out, and that took me about 3 or so months of craigslist watching to find. I would go with at least a 33" tire and if they are just too big for ya, I'm sure you could find someone on here or in your area that would be willing to uptrade you a smaller set of tires.

Here's a pretty sweet deal on some 33x12.5's WITH some nice rims as well. Just an example!
http://www.quadratec.com/products/92609_230X_P4_PG.htm

And I know you mentioned you'd be mounting and balancing, and probably already have rims, here's a set of 4 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs for $732 before shipping... I'd get those long before a set of BFG AT's at that price!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

__________________
"Who knew coolant keeps the motor cool?"
Check out my Heep "build"
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/bigdhamyjs-1993-yj-build-slow-1284516/
bigdhamYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2013, 07:16 AM   #42
CDW_327
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Commerce MI/Traverse city MI, Michigan
Posts: 1,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzfrd

The tire size to me is more or less for show I wanted a 32 because the tire is just big enough for some fun Lokks good in the wheeel well...but limits me as well and makes me have to think more with some things. . Im all about a good line and grace when it comes to wheeling. I know everybody is gonna say bigger is better but in my opinion its not. Plus it looks a little goofy to cram a huge tire in a small space. . That and for a set of 5 its $125 cheeper a size down.... I havent decided yet on my tires till I buy them though. So please any other feed back let me know.

Tire rack has 5 BFG's All terrain with shipping $850 and I will get them set and ballanced for free
If you guys know anything cheeper give me a heads up I should be ordering this week (hopefully)
And thanks for your time
Bigger is not always better.
I still say go for the 33" tire, they may seem like big tires to some people but there really not. Going from 32's to a 33 would make your jeep look a little more aggressive and I really don't think you would notice a difference in drivability between the two sizes.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
__________________
Getting Redemption: 93 YJ Build
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/yj-redemption-93-wrangler-build-1368262/
CDW_327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2013, 11:21 AM   #43
Benzfrd
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: schwenksville, pa
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdhamYJ View Post
Take it from someone who's done it twice now. Go with a little larger tire and if you just absolutely are not happy, it'll be easier to sell and downsize or trade with a little cash coming to you for smaller tires. I said "Yes, 33x10.50's will be great" Bought a set, then went spring over, did an 8.8 axle swap and some other various accompanying mods and said "Hmmm I want 35x12.50's now" So I had to go out of my way to find a little wider rim, bought those. I LUCKED OUT and found a guy on Craigslist 4.5 hours away from me that was willing to meet me halfway and straight traded my 33's for his 35's because they were just too big for his old hunting truck. I lucked out, and that took me about 3 or so months of craigslist watching to find. I would go with at least a 33" tire and if they are just too big for ya, I'm sure you could find someone on here or in your area that would be willing to uptrade you a smaller set of tires.

Here's a pretty sweet deal on some 33x12.5's WITH some nice rims as well. Just an example!
http://www.quadratec.com/products/92609_230X_P4_PG.htm

And I know you mentioned you'd be mounting and balancing, and probably already have rims, here's a set of 4 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs for $732 before shipping... I'd get those long before a set of BFG AT's at that price!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Lots of good info right there.

You did get lucky with finding that guy who wanted to trade. I was all about going on craigslist and ebay or any of the other second hand sites. But I found nothing and then the prices I did find were very high in my eyes. I was in the thinking if I bought new I will only have to pay a little more and I will get the good out of the tires. Then by the time they wear down I could sell for new ones. At that time I will look into bigger tires if thats the way I want to go.

You are right though that there isnt much difference in the tire size when only going 1 size up or down but problem I have is the rims will only fit ceratin tire sizes. I know tirerack will show it fits but once you call and talk to them they tell you that they have a limited selection for my rim size. I am in Pa I do have mud but nothing really deep before hitting some type of rock.SOOO I was looking at a skinnyer tire than a 12.5 as well. Thank you though for the idea and where to look and the options

Please let me have any feed back you have on this
Benzfrd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2013, 11:22 AM   #44
Benzfrd
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: schwenksville, pa
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW_327 View Post
Bigger is not always better.
I still say go for the 33" tire, they may seem like big tires to some people but there really not. Going from 32's to a 33 would make your jeep look a little more aggressive and I really don't think you would notice a difference in drivability between the two sizes.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Right on thanks bro
Benzfrd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2013, 11:36 AM   #45
Benzfrd
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: schwenksville, pa
Posts: 144
OK guys so check this crap out. I called Iron ROck offraod Friday last week and ordered there Hack and Tap setup. Now the company said they wont get the order till later and possibly will start the shipping that day or at the latest monday. So I called monday because I received no Email. No answer when I called So I left a message with a guy name Zach. So now its tuesday and I have everything lined up to install this wednesday. Tried calling them all day today finally got threw and they are telling me they dont know when it will ship and they have no clue on the order it will be shipped in. My only option is to purchase the priority shipping which will cost me $35. So already pissed I asked what would be the guarenttee on the delivery and they said at best Friday this week I am so mad. So i asked the guy why would the company tell me they have them and sold me on the delivery but now i am screwed and why is this my problem. The kid said he will call me back and never did and now wont answer at his desk or respond at all.. So needless to say my offraod trip this weekend with my jeep buds is shot..
Benzfrd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.