YJ 94 build and wheeling - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > YJ 94 build and wheeling

Bilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 02-07-2013, 07:36 AM   #16
Benzfrd
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Also yesterday I was able to almost Complete my DIY Snorkel So stand by for more pics of this

img_0467.jpg   img_0469.jpg  
Benzfrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #17
Benzfrd
1994 YJ Wrangler 

So I got the lift in and got some of the front done but ran into a snag. The pitman arm needs to come off and I can't get it to even budge a little. I tried putting on a heavy duty arm puller and even used the air gun. All that and it didn't even budge. So after trying everything i could rig up and yelling and screaming I found myself defeated. So I did some research on this forum and found out there were many people like me. So I will take the whole setup off the frame and get a better swing and some more screaming and hopefully then will get this bad boy off.
Unread 02-17-2013, 07:02 PM   #18
Benzfrd
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Also I ran into a problem getting the brake mount off of the front brake were it connects to the rubber flex. The torx bit of coarse rounded right out so may cut it but the head stripped as well anybody got any ideas ?
Unread 02-17-2013, 07:09 PM   #19
WhyJayPA
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Heat the pitman arm with a torch and hammer it off or use a puller. I had the same problem ad heating it up in cycles helped to get it off. Hope it works out for you
Unread 02-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #20
Benzfrd
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyJayPA View Post
Heat the pitman arm with a torch and hammer it off or use a puller. I had the same problem ad heating it up in cycles helped to get it off. Hope it works out for you
Thank you for the advice. I ended up getting a new heavy duty puller today and after beating the sense out of it it did come off
Unread 02-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #21
Benzfrd
1994 YJ Wrangler 

So I got the lift on but was to worn out to take pics

Once I got it all good and tight I took it up the road. Go figure it had a vibration on acceleration and deceleration. So I am wondering if you guys have any suggestions. I was looking into a SYE kit a little but I am down for any ideas that will not cost as much. My little (very little) research has me thinking I will be in this about $150-$200 for the SYE kit and another $200-$350 for the drive shaft

Over all I would say that this install was not easy nor did all the parts go smooth some needed some mods and alot of info was left out on the instructions. I cant say much for the ride it seemed very stiff and bouncy. BUT it has only been drivin about 2 miles. as of now I would give it a 4 out of 5

Now not all bad though it did give me an impressive amount of lift. I didnt get to flex it yet but no worries it is all soon to come

Hopefully pics tomorrow
Unread 02-20-2013, 05:49 AM   #22
WhyJayPA
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Your are correct about the sye and driveshaft pricing. You could try adding larger shims to the rear springs or a transfer case spacer kit (if your kit didnt already come with one) but both are only temporary solutions to not having a sye kit.

Make sure you verify that your vibes are caused by the driveline angle and not something else before you go spending the money.

Also, i mightve missed it but what type of lift did you buy?
Unread 02-21-2013, 06:33 AM   #23
Benzfrd
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Your are correct about the sye and driveshaft pricing. You could try adding larger shims to the rear springs or a transfer case spacer kit (if your kit didnt already come with one) but both are only temporary solutions to not having a sye kit.

Make sure you verify that your vibes are caused by the driveline angle and not something else before you go spending the money.

Also, i mightve missed it but what type of lift did you buy?
I went with the 4" Rubicon Express Lift

I will be doing Either a Hack and tap SYE kit or a standard SYE kit Im not sure of which as of right now it is a big deal and I wanna take my time with my decision
Unread 02-21-2013, 06:37 AM   #24
Benzfrd
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ok and sorry for taking so long with the pics but Here you go guys. This is with the lift installed
img_0502.jpg   img_0499.jpg   img_0497.jpg   img_0496.jpg  
Unread 02-21-2013, 07:03 AM   #25
99BlueJP
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Awesome build so far! Keep up the good work!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/new-xj-project-1360289/
99BlueJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 07:11 AM   #26
Benzfrd
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99BlueJP View Post
Awesome build so far! Keep up the good work!
Hey thanks Man. I appreciate the words.

I have to say this is one of the hardest and most stressful projects I have done yet. In between the frame repair the lift and now all the small issues I get from it being lifted. But in the end it will be worth it

Stand by in the next few weeks I am hoping to have this thing off road and on the blue or red trails
Unread 02-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #27
WhyJayPA
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Dont do a hack and tap kit. I had one that came on a tcase i bought. The tailshaft wasnt cut straight and caused major driveline vibes. A true SYE kit is the way to go and much more reliable and sturdy than a hack an tap kit
Unread 02-21-2013, 08:04 PM   #28
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Dont do a hack and tap kit. I had one that came on a tcase i bought. The tailshaft wasnt cut straight and caused major driveline vibes. A true SYE kit is the way to go and much more reliable and sturdy than a hack an tap kit
X2 and not that much more expense
Unread 02-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #29
Benzfrd
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thank you for the advice. I have deicided to go with one though already. I have confidence in my abilities to cut it straight and do the job the right way. I have heard that the most common mistake come from the istaller and very rare is it from the kit. But again thank you for time and opinion
Unread 02-22-2013, 11:25 PM   #30
CDW_327
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzfrd

Thank you for the advice. I have deicided to go with one though already. I have confidence in my abilities to cut it straight and do the job the right way. I have heard that the most common mistake come from the istaller and very rare is it from the kit. But again thank you for time and opinion
Hack&tap SYE's are fine if you take your time. I run Whyjaypa's old RE hack&tap and I have no problems running 75 down the high way with out vibes. I installed mine in like an hour and had no problems cutting or tapping the shaft, I'm pretty good with a grinder and tap though lol. I don't think I've ever heard of someone breaking a H&T sye, they get a lot bad rep but they work just fine if installed correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.