A YJ 5.3 build without a clever name - Page 54 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > A YJ 5.3 build without a clever name

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 12-23-2013, 12:54 PM   #796
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Refresh me? I'm gonna be doing the filter and sock after Christmas. I saw some crap in the sock from my old tank so that could be part of it. A couple of mechanic friends think it's just the pump so I may do that for $60. This one is a Crown unit that I got from Novak so I'll put in a Bosch and try to fab a bracket to get the pump to the bottom of the tank.

Again, Genright said they haven't had any noise issues with this tank. I could accept a hum, but thins ringing makes my brain feel like it's gonna explode

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2013, 02:18 PM   #797
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
Refresh me? I'm gonna be doing the filter and sock after Christmas. I saw some crap in the sock from my old tank so that could be part of it. A couple of mechanic friends think it's just the pump so I may do that for $60. This one is a Crown unit that I got from Novak so I'll put in a Bosch and try to fab a bracket to get the pump to the bottom of the tank.

Again, Genright said they haven't had any noise issues with this tank. I could accept a hum, but thins ringing makes my brain feel like it's gonna explode
Yeah I would just replace the pump, clean the pick up, replace the inline filter and buy some ear plugs lol.

I need a video of your Jeep laying down some rubber to stay motivated!

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2013, 10:50 PM   #798
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post

Yeah I would just replace the pump, clean the pick up, replace the inline filter and buy some ear plugs lol.

I need a video of your Jeep laying down some rubber to stay motivated!

Cheers
Will do buddy, except the earplugs part.

I need to find some old slicks and roast the hell out of them.

August YJOTM

Unread 12-26-2013, 04:24 PM   #799
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Was standing there looking at my Jeep on my lunch break thinking about a rear stretch and noticed 2 oil spots on my pavement. When I looked under I almost cried when I saw it dripping off of the trans pan but I traced it up to the top of the engine. After some looking I figured out that it is leaking out of the connector end of the GM oil pressure sender. I use the Jeep sensor in a tapped hole above the oil filter. I started it up and sure enough every couple seconds a tiny air bubble comes out. I dou t i can find a plug the right size so im gonna go grab a new sensor to stop the leak. $45 for a sensor that I'm not even using...

August YJOTM

Unread 12-26-2013, 04:28 PM   #800
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

1388096916927.jpg

August YJOTM

Unread 12-27-2013, 05:36 PM   #801
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I took off early from work today and got some garage time. I went to Napa to find a plug for the oil pressure sensor and it looks like a 3/8 pipe thread but that didn't work, it was too big so I just put a new sensor in.

I also pulled the sending unit to replace the sock but it wasn't hardly dirty so I just put it back together but didn't tighten it down as much and that seemed to help the noise a bit. It doesn't make me want to shoot myself anyway.

I got my DOM back for my steering. His machining is perfect but my measurements werent. I need to cut each one down about 2 inches and have him re drill them. I ran out of wire so I wouldn't have gotten the bungs welded in anyway. 1388187383777.jpg1388187403650.jpg

August YJOTM

Unread 12-27-2013, 05:58 PM   #802
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I took off early from work today and got some garage time. I went to Napa to find a plug for the oil pressure sensor and it looks like a 3/8 pipe thread but that didn't work, it was too big so I just put a new sensor in.

I also pulled the sending unit to replace the sock but it wasn't hardly dirty so I just put it back together but didn't tighten it down as much and that seemed to help the noise a bit. It doesn't make me want to shoot myself anyway.

I got my DOM back for my steering. His machining is perfect but my measurements werent. I need to cut each one down about 2 inches and have him re drill them. I ran out of wire so I wouldn't have gotten the bungs welded in anyway. Attachment 947529Attachment 947537
Gonna be beef!
How did you mis-measure 2"? That's a lot! At least they're long and not short!

Oh and here is this for you.

Cheers
Unread 12-27-2013, 06:08 PM   #803
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I have no idea how I was off by that much. I measured with a tape by myself in the cold, so I'm sure there was some error there, then I tried to use arithmetic to subtract the length of the heim... and apparently it didn't work. But it's gonna be sweet when it's done. He only charged me $40 to drill out the DOM so another $20 and it will be fine. Better than measuring too short.

I saw that in non tech. It looks awesome man! Good job! I might have to order one for my house and one for my office

I just ordered a new Bosch pump from Amazon. I hope it's a lot quieter. When I had it out I turned it on outside the tank and it is pretty loud. I think it is just cheap Crown crap. I ordered windshield hinges from them once and most of the holes didn't line up. I'm not too impressed with their products....

August YJOTM

Unread 12-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #804
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have no idea how I was off by that much. I measured with a tape by myself in the cold, so I'm sure there was some error there, then I tried to use arithmetic to subtract the length of the heim... and apparently it didn't work. But it's gonna be sweet when it's done. He only charged me $40 to drill out the DOM so another $20 and it will be fine. Better than measuring too short.

I saw that in non tech. It looks awesome man! Good job! I might have to order one for my house and one for my office

I just ordered a new Bosch pump from Amazon. I hope it's a lot quieter. When I had it out I turned it on outside the tank and it is pretty loud. I think it is just cheap Crown crap. I ordered windshield hinges from them once and most of the holes didn't line up. I'm not too impressed with their products....
Let me know how that Bosch is. Bosch makes great stuff whether it be parts or tools. When, not if, my pump goes out, I wanna know what to order. I've done some searching and opinions are all over the place. It's one of the things that I'll probably replace just for the piece of mind when I have the tank down to dimple the skid...

Cheers
Unread 12-27-2013, 07:22 PM   #805
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

This is the one I ordered http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000BZ...ls_o00_s00_i00
Amazon says it fits a YJ with a 4.0 so that's what I went with. Seems to be a common pump, people wrote reviews using it in Subarus etc....

August YJOTM

Unread 12-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #806
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

lol i always measure with the bungs in and subtract what i need. Then i measure the center whole of the rod end to the tube end and remeasure hoping my numbers where the same...ish. I messed up on my tie rod once also and luckily i was to long not to short. did cost me a bung though seen as i was a tool and welded it before checking it....
Unread 12-27-2013, 07:32 PM   #807
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Ha. Problem was I couldn't put the bungs in the tube before they got drilled out.

August YJOTM

Unread 12-27-2013, 08:05 PM   #808
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Ha. Problem was I couldn't put the bungs in the tube before they got drilled out.
o yeah! i forgot about that. going to have it done by next weekend? Rambos getting his front driveshaft shortened today and i think hell be ready.
Unread 12-27-2013, 09:32 PM   #809
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maertz View Post

o yeah! i forgot about that. going to have it done by next weekend? Rambos getting his front driveshaft shortened today and i think hell be ready.
Nah I won't have the steering done. I still need to give you a card # and you need to ship me that 5/8 bit for my knuckles and pitman arm.

August YJOTM

Unread 12-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #810
Maertz
Hating Jk's Since 07'

2009 JK Wrangler 

Eh dont worry about it. N ill have the bit at my house when you come down

Tags
5.3 vortec , engine swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.