A YJ 5.3 build without a clever name - Page 44 - JeepForum.com

 18Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #646 of 2234 Old 09-11-2013, 01:14 PM
AZdEvilYJ
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 6,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera
What are your goals? Personally I wouldn't bother stretching unless you are getting at least 10".
I'm pretty sure a majority of people on here have less than 10" on their stretched jeeps. Common theme is 5-7"


'95 YJ 2.5L
March '15 YJ of the Month!
Exiled Offroad - Arizona

My Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...nally-1575209/
AZdEvilYJ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #647 of 2234 Old 09-11-2013, 01:23 PM
clintrivera
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Pacific
Posts: 2,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZdEvilYJ View Post
I'm pretty sure a majority of people on here have less than 10" on their stretched jeeps. Common theme is 5-7"
I know it's common. I'm saying IMO it's a waste of time. If you are going to stretch, stretch. Don't get all the tools out unless you are going to make it worth your while.
clintrivera is offline  
post #648 of 2234 Old 09-11-2013, 01:33 PM
AZdEvilYJ
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 6,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera

I know it's common. I'm saying IMO it's a waste of time. If you are going to stretch, stretch. Don't get all the tools out unless you are going to make it worth your while.
The breakover point on a 10" stretch and 35s would yield a lot of belly scratching I would think, even more than my puppy would enjoy...

I see from your avatar pic your stretched quite a bit, what size tires are you running and do you experience hang hangups in the rocks very often? I'm still learning

'95 YJ 2.5L
March '15 YJ of the Month!
Exiled Offroad - Arizona

My Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...nally-1575209/
AZdEvilYJ is offline  
post #649 of 2234 Old 09-11-2013, 01:40 PM
Ripper3494
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Warrenville
Posts: 5,741
he is stretched a lot haha. but i would tend to agree. if stretching i would stretch it long. the returns on a 5" longer jeep are not terribly impressive, especially when a 10" won't take THAT much more work. i'd say a 7" is the minimum i would go. that gives you the magic 100" wheelbase. a little in front and a little in back will be pretty nice.

build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/9...-spud-1218315/
1994 yj stretched, locked and loaded - 6.0l vortec lq4, 4l60e, np231, Dana 44s 37" interco trxus m/t, 3.5" bds front leafs, double triangulated 4 link rear on xj front coils.
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/a...te-up-1301614/
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/t...ation-1417686/
RC vs BDS
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/r...s-bds-1461555/
Ripper3494 is offline  
post #650 of 2234 Old 09-11-2013, 01:44 PM
clintrivera
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Pacific
Posts: 2,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZdEvilYJ View Post
The breakover point on a 10" stretch and 35s would yield a lot of belly scratching I would think, even more than my puppy would enjoy...

I see from your avatar pic your stretched quite a bit, what size tires are you running and do you experience hang hangups in the rocks very often? I'm still learning
I'm at 15" of stretch at 108" wheel base. That's still 8" short of a stock JKU. I run 4" springs on a 37" tire. We don't have too many rocks out here but the longer wheelbase for climbing and stability outweighs the breakover penalty where I wheel.

I don't think the average person (or any person) would be able to tell the difference in a small stretch outside of an emotional difference since they spent all that time and money doing it.

If you are going to stretch, go 10+ inches and put a high clearance belly skid on it and enjoy.
clintrivera is offline  
post #651 of 2234 Old 09-11-2013, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Randonexplosion
Web Wheeler
 
Randonexplosion's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Cortez
Posts: 6,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
I'm at 15" of stretch at 108" wheel base. That's still 8" short of a stock JKU. I run 4" springs on a 37" tire. We don't have too many rocks out here but the longer wheelbase for climbing and stability outweighs the breakover penalty where I wheel.

I don't think the average person (or any person) would be able to tell the difference in a small stretch outside of an emotional difference since they spent all that time and money doing it.

If you are going to stretch, go 10+ inches and put a high clearance belly skid on it and enjoy.
Where I wheel I already get hung up on my belly skid. A 10" stretch while staying with 33-35's would probably put my breakover angle worse than it is now, even with a flat skid. And I think it would look retarded. With 37s + hell yeah.

I do plan on stretching the front eventually, but I'd be happy with 3-5" in the back, since that is my area of focus anyway. I remember Mr. Blaine mentioning something about stretching the wheelbase a couple few inches for every tire size over 33-35s. Maybe I'm just making **** up
Randonexplosion is offline  
post #652 of 2234 Old 09-11-2013, 02:01 PM
Ripper3494
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Warrenville
Posts: 5,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
Where I wheel I already get hung up on my belly skid. A 10" stretch while staying with 33-35's would probably put my breakover angle worse than it is now, even with a flat skid. And I think it would look retarded. With 37s + hell yeah.

I do plan on stretching the front eventually, but I'd be happy with 3-5" in the back, since that is my area of focus anyway. I remember Mr. Blaine mentioning something about stretching the wheelbase a couple few inches for every tire size over 33-35s. Maybe I'm just making **** up
you are correct, to keep a consistent ratio technically you should stretch it at 35s and up

build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/9...-spud-1218315/
1994 yj stretched, locked and loaded - 6.0l vortec lq4, 4l60e, np231, Dana 44s 37" interco trxus m/t, 3.5" bds front leafs, double triangulated 4 link rear on xj front coils.
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/a...te-up-1301614/
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/t...ation-1417686/
RC vs BDS
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/r...s-bds-1461555/
Ripper3494 is offline  
post #653 of 2234 Old 09-11-2013, 04:09 PM
clintrivera
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Pacific
Posts: 2,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
Where I wheel I already get hung up on my belly skid. A 10" stretch while staying with 33-35's would probably put my breakover angle worse than it is now, even with a flat skid. And I think it would look retarded. With 37s + hell yeah.

I do plan on stretching the front eventually, but I'd be happy with 3-5" in the back, since that is my area of focus anyway. I remember Mr. Blaine mentioning something about stretching the wheelbase a couple few inches for every tire size over 33-35s. Maybe I'm just making **** up
Actually Blaine said not to bother with small stretches. The only difference you will feel in a 3-5" stretch is a lighter wallet and grinding dust boogers. A stock wheelbase Wrangler on 35's is at a crossroads. To go beyond that, you will need to open your wallet wide and be prepared to cut lots of stuff up. Otherwise you are just wasting time and money.
clintrivera is offline  
post #654 of 2234 Old 09-11-2013, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Randonexplosion
Web Wheeler
 
Randonexplosion's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Cortez
Posts: 6,990
That sounds silly to me. I understand that in certain areas of a build you will notice the most difference with X sized ________, but I can recall many times where I would have benefited from either a few more inches in front, rear or both. Thats almost like saying there's no point in running 33s, might as well go straight from 29s to 37s. A 10" stretch may yield the best results for the money and effort but I would disagree that 2-3" either direction won't make a difference.
Randonexplosion is offline  
post #655 of 2234 Old 09-11-2013, 04:54 PM
clintrivera
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Pacific
Posts: 2,781
A 2-3" rear stretch will help with departure angle a small amount, but as far as stability on climbs don't waste your time. The benefits people see with small stretches come from the fact that the stretch is done at the same time as a complete suspension overhaul.

All things being equal, you wont see any difference in the driver's seat with a small stretch like that. The gas money you will have not doing a small stretch will bring you far more enjoyment than cutting your rig up for a small increase in wheelbase.
clintrivera is offline  
post #656 of 2234 Old 09-11-2013, 09:05 PM
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..
 
gst95dsm's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 4,361
Here's 6.5" stretch... I haven't wheeled it yet, but if that doesn't make a noticeable stability difference I'm gonna be pretty surprised, just the visual difference is pretty drastic and I'm not sure I'd want it any longer with 35's. Now I will say the effort it would take to move the front 2-3 inches seems questionable. Also having an excellent departure angle by stretching the wheelbase and not the tub is going to have some real perks coming down off ledges and in other situations. At the end of the day... nothing is perfect for all types of wheeling.

gst95dsm is offline  
post #657 of 2234 Old 09-11-2013, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Randonexplosion
Web Wheeler
 
Randonexplosion's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Cortez
Posts: 6,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Here's 6.5" stretch... I haven't wheeled it yet, but if that doesn't make a noticeable stability difference I'm gonna be pretty surprised, just the visual difference is pretty drastic and I'm not sure I'd want it any longer with 35's. Now I will say the effort it would take to move the front 2-3 inches seems questionable. Also having an excellent departure angle by stretching the wheelbase and not the tub is going to have some real perks coming down off ledges and in other situations. At the end of the day... nothing is perfect for all types of wheeling.
Well said. Looks awesome man! Gives me an idea how mine will look. Be sure to let us know the difference offroad!
Randonexplosion is offline  
post #658 of 2234 Old 09-11-2013, 09:11 PM
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..
 
gst95dsm's Avatar
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fresno CA
Posts: 4,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
Well said. Looks awesome man! Gives me an idea how mine will look. Be sure to let us know the difference offroad!
I sure will. It's getting close to being completed.
gst95dsm is offline  
post #659 of 2234 Old 09-11-2013, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Randonexplosion
Web Wheeler
 
Randonexplosion's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Cortez
Posts: 6,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post

I sure will. It's getting close to being completed.
I haven't checked out your build thread since you outboarded your shocks. I better get busy reading!
Randonexplosion is offline  
post #660 of 2234 Old 09-11-2013, 09:17 PM
Sparrows
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Boise
Posts: 4,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Here's 6.5" stretch... I haven't wheeled it yet, but if that doesn't make a noticeable stability difference I'm gonna be pretty surprised, just the visual difference is pretty drastic and I'm not sure I'd want it any longer with 35's. Now I will say the effort it would take to move the front 2-3 inches seems questionable. Also having an excellent departure angle by stretching the wheelbase and not the tub is going to have some real perks coming down off ledges and in other situations. At the end of the day... nothing is perfect for all types of wheeling.

I've read your build thread multiple times!
Great stuff. The white with raw aluminum is by far my favorite look, and one I have always desired. I think with my next YJ I can finally make it a reality.

Anyways, Randon, it's your jeep bro. You know where and how you wheel and if you think a 4-6" stretch would help, I say do it!

Cheers

WARBIRD 2
EXILED OFFROAD
June '13 YJOTM
Sparrows is offline  
Reply

Tags
4 link , 5.3 vortec , engine swap

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome