A YJ 5.3 build without a clever name - Page 44 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > A YJ 5.3 build without a clever name

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 09-11-2013, 02:14 PM   #646
AZdEvilYJ
Garage Junkie

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera
What are your goals? Personally I wouldn't bother stretching unless you are getting at least 10".
I'm pretty sure a majority of people on here have less than 10" on their stretched jeeps. Common theme is 5-7"

My Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...nally-1575209/
AZdEvilYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #647
clintrivera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZdEvilYJ View Post
I'm pretty sure a majority of people on here have less than 10" on their stretched jeeps. Common theme is 5-7"
I know it's common. I'm saying IMO it's a waste of time. If you are going to stretch, stretch. Don't get all the tools out unless you are going to make it worth your while.
Unread 09-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #648
AZdEvilYJ
Garage Junkie

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera

I know it's common. I'm saying IMO it's a waste of time. If you are going to stretch, stretch. Don't get all the tools out unless you are going to make it worth your while.
The breakover point on a 10" stretch and 35s would yield a lot of belly scratching I would think, even more than my puppy would enjoy...

I see from your avatar pic your stretched quite a bit, what size tires are you running and do you experience hang hangups in the rocks very often? I'm still learning

My Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...nally-1575209/
AZdEvilYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #649
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

he is stretched a lot haha. but i would tend to agree. if stretching i would stretch it long. the returns on a 5" longer jeep are not terribly impressive, especially when a 10" won't take THAT much more work. i'd say a 7" is the minimum i would go. that gives you the magic 100" wheelbase. a little in front and a little in back will be pretty nice.
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 02:44 PM   #650
clintrivera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZdEvilYJ View Post
The breakover point on a 10" stretch and 35s would yield a lot of belly scratching I would think, even more than my puppy would enjoy...

I see from your avatar pic your stretched quite a bit, what size tires are you running and do you experience hang hangups in the rocks very often? I'm still learning
I'm at 15" of stretch at 108" wheel base. That's still 8" short of a stock JKU. I run 4" springs on a 37" tire. We don't have too many rocks out here but the longer wheelbase for climbing and stability outweighs the breakover penalty where I wheel.

I don't think the average person (or any person) would be able to tell the difference in a small stretch outside of an emotional difference since they spent all that time and money doing it.

If you are going to stretch, go 10+ inches and put a high clearance belly skid on it and enjoy.
Unread 09-11-2013, 02:57 PM   #651
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
I'm at 15" of stretch at 108" wheel base. That's still 8" short of a stock JKU. I run 4" springs on a 37" tire. We don't have too many rocks out here but the longer wheelbase for climbing and stability outweighs the breakover penalty where I wheel.

I don't think the average person (or any person) would be able to tell the difference in a small stretch outside of an emotional difference since they spent all that time and money doing it.

If you are going to stretch, go 10+ inches and put a high clearance belly skid on it and enjoy.
Where I wheel I already get hung up on my belly skid. A 10" stretch while staying with 33-35's would probably put my breakover angle worse than it is now, even with a flat skid. And I think it would look retarded. With 37s + hell yeah.

I do plan on stretching the front eventually, but I'd be happy with 3-5" in the back, since that is my area of focus anyway. I remember Mr. Blaine mentioning something about stretching the wheelbase a couple few inches for every tire size over 33-35s. Maybe I'm just making **** up

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 03:01 PM   #652
Ripper3494
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
Where I wheel I already get hung up on my belly skid. A 10" stretch while staying with 33-35's would probably put my breakover angle worse than it is now, even with a flat skid. And I think it would look retarded. With 37s + hell yeah.

I do plan on stretching the front eventually, but I'd be happy with 3-5" in the back, since that is my area of focus anyway. I remember Mr. Blaine mentioning something about stretching the wheelbase a couple few inches for every tire size over 33-35s. Maybe I'm just making **** up
you are correct, to keep a consistent ratio technically you should stretch it at 35s and up
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2013, 05:09 PM   #653
clintrivera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Actually Blaine said not to bother with small stretches. The only difference you will feel in a 3-5" stretch is a lighter wallet and grinding dust boogers. A stock wheelbase Wrangler on 35's is at a crossroads. To go beyond that, you will need to open your wallet wide and be prepared to cut lots of stuff up. Otherwise you are just wasting time and money.
Unread 09-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #654
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

That sounds silly to me. I understand that in certain areas of a build you will notice the most difference with X sized ________, but I can recall many times where I would have benefited from either a few more inches in front, rear or both. Thats almost like saying there's no point in running 33s, might as well go straight from 29s to 37s. A 10" stretch may yield the best results for the money and effort but I would disagree that 2-3" either direction won't make a difference.

August YJOTM

Unread 09-11-2013, 05:54 PM   #655
clintrivera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

A 2-3" rear stretch will help with departure angle a small amount, but as far as stability on climbs don't waste your time. The benefits people see with small stretches come from the fact that the stretch is done at the same time as a complete suspension overhaul.

All things being equal, you wont see any difference in the driver's seat with a small stretch like that. The gas money you will have not doing a small stretch will bring you far more enjoyment than cutting your rig up for a small increase in wheelbase.
Unread 09-11-2013, 10:05 PM   #656
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Here's 6.5" stretch... I haven't wheeled it yet, but if that doesn't make a noticeable stability difference I'm gonna be pretty surprised, just the visual difference is pretty drastic and I'm not sure I'd want it any longer with 35's. Now I will say the effort it would take to move the front 2-3 inches seems questionable. Also having an excellent departure angle by stretching the wheelbase and not the tub is going to have some real perks coming down off ledges and in other situations. At the end of the day... nothing is perfect for all types of wheeling.

Unread 09-11-2013, 10:08 PM   #657
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Here's 6.5" stretch... I haven't wheeled it yet, but if that doesn't make a noticeable stability difference I'm gonna be pretty surprised, just the visual difference is pretty drastic and I'm not sure I'd want it any longer with 35's. Now I will say the effort it would take to move the front 2-3 inches seems questionable. Also having an excellent departure angle by stretching the wheelbase and not the tub is going to have some real perks coming down off ledges and in other situations. At the end of the day... nothing is perfect for all types of wheeling.
Well said. Looks awesome man! Gives me an idea how mine will look. Be sure to let us know the difference offroad!

August YJOTM

Unread 09-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #658
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well said. Looks awesome man! Gives me an idea how mine will look. Be sure to let us know the difference offroad!
I sure will. It's getting close to being completed.
Unread 09-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #659
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I sure will. It's getting close to being completed.
I haven't checked out your build thread since you outboarded your shocks. I better get busy reading!

August YJOTM

Unread 09-11-2013, 10:17 PM   #660
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I've read your build thread multiple times!
Great stuff. The white with raw aluminum is by far my favorite look, and one I have always desired. I think with my next YJ I can finally make it a reality.

Anyways, Randon, it's your jeep bro. You know where and how you wheel and if you think a 4-6" stretch would help, I say do it!

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
5.3 vortec , engine swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.