A YJ 5.3 build without a clever name - Page 43 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > A YJ 5.3 build without a clever name

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Reply
Unread 08-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #631
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen
 
Randonexplosion's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Cortez, Colorado
Posts: 4,083
Here you go Jim.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...lights-976895/

I know I need to get on the skid plate and t case. Headed to Moab in 2 weeks so ill get on it sometime this week.

__________________
5.3/4l60e swap

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #632
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen
 
Randonexplosion's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Cortez, Colorado
Posts: 4,083
A little update: I think I banged out my t case chain in Moab. After running Top of The World I heard a noise that sounds like someone swirling BBs in a coffee can. I'm guessing its the chain rubbing on the case. I guess I need to get on that 233c chain and Barnes4wd 2" skid.

I also picked up some 35" Maxxis Creepy Crawlers from a buddy. They should fill out the Cloaks well. Too bad I don't get to keep the beadlocks...
1378256225154.jpg1378256255676.jpg1378256270591.jpg
__________________
5.3/4l60e swap

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 10:22 PM   #633
Sparrows
It's coming...
 
Sparrows's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 4,526
When are ya going to get those meats on? I've been patiently waiting here bud....

Cheers
__________________
WARBIRD 2
EXILED OFFROAD
June '13 YJOTM
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 10:34 PM   #634
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen
 
Randonexplosion's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Cortez, Colorado
Posts: 4,083
Haha I'm not sure bro. I kinda wanted to find an extra set of wheels to mount them on just for wheeling. Not that I drive the jeep much but these things are beasts. And soft as hell from what I've read. I need to take the time to break down the beadlocks and get them separated but its been raining since the weekend. Ill probably get impatient and just get them mounted

Don't know if they can be balanced for highway speeds (my buddy used them on his CJ buggy and they are a little chunked) so I may try some airsoft BBs.
__________________
5.3/4l60e swap

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 11:54 PM   #635
Sparrows
It's coming...
 
Sparrows's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 4,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
Haha I'm not sure bro. I kinda wanted to find an extra set of wheels to mount them on just for wheeling. Not that I drive the jeep much but these things are beasts. And soft as hell from what I've read. I need to take the time to break down the beadlocks and get them separated but its been raining since the weekend. Ill probably get impatient and just get them mounted

Don't know if they can be balanced for highway speeds (my buddy used them on his CJ buggy and they are a little chunked) so I may try some airsoft BBs.
Ah gotcha. Well can't wait to see those bad boys in action!

Cheers
__________________
WARBIRD 2
EXILED OFFROAD
June '13 YJOTM
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 12:16 AM   #636
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen
 
Randonexplosion's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Cortez, Colorado
Posts: 4,083
You're telling me! He siped them all too. Gonna be amazing on the rocks.

I can't decide what to do on my rear suspension. I want to get a few inches of stretch and definitely more flex than I have right now. I was all for 4 linking it, but now I'm wondering about SOA. I was trying to research how to keep SOA low, but didn't come up with much. I would like it to match my 3.5"/5/8 shackles up front. For springs I could do Waggys + offset perches to get 3"s of stretch. Ideas?
__________________
5.3/4l60e swap

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 05:37 AM   #637
Ripper3494
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Warrenville, Illinois
Posts: 5,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
You're telling me! He siped them all too. Gonna be amazing on the rocks.

I can't decide what to do on my rear suspension. I want to get a few inches of stretch and definitely more flex than I have right now. I was all for 4 linking it, but now I'm wondering about SOA. I was trying to research how to keep SOA low, but didn't come up with much. I would like it to match my 3.5"/5/8 shackles up front. For springs I could do Waggys + offset perches to get 3"s of stretch. Ideas?
Btf rear stretch crossmember, french spring hangers into the frame and go soa on some stock springs. That should keep you about flat. But if you really wanna plant the tires there's no better way than a 4 link

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
__________________
build thread:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/94-yj-6-0-build-spud-1218315/[/url]
1994 yj stretched, locked and loaded - 6.0l vortec lq4, 4l60e, np231, Dana 44s 37" interco trxus m/t, 3.5" bds front leafs, double triangulated 4 link rear on xj front coils.
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 08:17 AM   #638
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen
 
Randonexplosion's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Cortez, Colorado
Posts: 4,083
I need to put a pen to some paper and see what would be less work/more cost effective. By the time I french hangers into the frame, build an anti-wrap bar, install the BTF crossmember and possibly screw with my leaf pack I could probably have my links all dialed in. Then there would just be coil buckets.

Ripper, what was your cost on your 4 link project? I'd guess the biggest cost would be the DOM and joints. You went with heims right?
__________________
5.3/4l60e swap

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 08:28 AM   #639
Ripper3494
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Warrenville, Illinois
Posts: 5,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
I need to put a pen to some paper and see what would be less work/more cost effective. By the time I french hangers into the frame, build an anti-wrap bar, install the BTF crossmember and possibly screw with my leaf pack I could probably have my links all dialed in. Then there would just be coil buckets.

Ripper, what was your cost on your 4 link project? I'd guess the biggest cost would be the DOM and joints. You went with heims right?
i went with heims yea, but i recommend JJ's or metalcloak's duroflex joints. they will run smoother for road driving.

i can tell you right now it will probably still be cheaper/easier to do everything to do with the leaf spring stretch than the links.

btf crossmember - $299
anti wrap bar - 150
new spring mounts - $50
driveshaft - x
i could probably do this in a day or so

my link setup cost me about 950 bucks along with
all new axle brackets + a truss is a good idea
4 new frame mounts
coil buckets
coil springs
i have a couple hundred hours in my link setup
__________________
build thread:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/94-yj-6-0-build-spud-1218315/[/url]
1994 yj stretched, locked and loaded - 6.0l vortec lq4, 4l60e, np231, Dana 44s 37" interco trxus m/t, 3.5" bds front leafs, double triangulated 4 link rear on xj front coils.
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 08:34 AM   #640
Ripper3494
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Warrenville, Illinois
Posts: 5,675
that being said i'd take a link setup over a leaf spring any day of the week even if it costs me over twice as much. i can dial it in and fine tune it to do exactly what i want it to, unlike leafs that will always have some amount of unpredictability
__________________
build thread:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/94-yj-6-0-build-spud-1218315/[/url]
1994 yj stretched, locked and loaded - 6.0l vortec lq4, 4l60e, np231, Dana 44s 37" interco trxus m/t, 3.5" bds front leafs, double triangulated 4 link rear on xj front coils.
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/alternator-welder-write-up-1301614/[/url]
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/tj-uppers-yj-half-doors-hard-top-installation-1417686/[/url]
RC vs BDS
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rough-country-vs-bds-1461555/[/url]
Ripper3494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 09:24 AM   #641
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen
 
Randonexplosion's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Cortez, Colorado
Posts: 4,083
I think my girlfriend might leave me if I spent a couple hundred hours in the garage setting up links.

Mainly because she wouldnt be able to drive the Jeep for that long
__________________
5.3/4l60e swap

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #642
AZdEvilYJ
Garage Junkie
 
AZdEvilYJ's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 3,798
I've been thinkin about a 4" rear stretch and the way I think I'm going to go about it is to use the btf rear crossmember and cut the frame side spring mounts off and move them back 4" and reweld them back on. Then you can keep your same springs and the cost is still very cheap. Bumper and extended driveshaft would be your only major expenses.
__________________
'95 YJ 2.5L
March '13 & '14 YJ of the Month!
Exiled Offroad - Arizona

My Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...nally-1575209/
AZdEvilYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 10:13 AM   #643
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen
 
Randonexplosion's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Cortez, Colorado
Posts: 4,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZdEvilYJ View Post
I've been thinkin about a 4" rear stretch and the way I think I'm going to go about it is to use the btf rear crossmember and cut the frame side spring mounts off and move them back 4" and reweld them back on. Then you can keep your same springs and the cost is still very cheap. Bumper and extended driveshaft would be your only major expenses.
I would need new springs because that is most of my problem, and I want to go SOA, but that's only a couple hundred bucks.

What are your plans for a fuel tank?
__________________
5.3/4l60e swap

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #644
AZdEvilYJ
Garage Junkie
 
AZdEvilYJ's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 3,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion

I would need new springs because that is most of my problem, and I want to go SOA, but that's only a couple hundred bucks.

What are your plans for a fuel tank?
Cut the floor out and move it up and build a new floor above it. I'm still a ways from that but I'm building it in my head so when time comes I know all the details lol
__________________
'95 YJ 2.5L
March '13 & '14 YJ of the Month!
Exiled Offroad - Arizona

My Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...nally-1575209/
AZdEvilYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #645
clintrivera
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Pacific, Washington
Posts: 2,472
What are your goals? Personally I wouldn't bother stretching unless you are getting at least 10".
__________________
Project Indecision: A Jeep Addicts 06 LJ

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...ed-lj-1741722/
clintrivera is online now   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.