A YJ 5.3 build without a clever name - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > A YJ 5.3 build without a clever name

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 03-11-2013, 12:50 PM   #46
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I just started reading your build thread. Only on page 1 and I have my answer for new manifolds! I should have gotten the Novak mounts. There is so much more contact on the frame than my AA mounts...

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2013, 05:28 PM   #47
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I have a bid on some Camaro manifolds. Hope I win, I wish the guy would just sell them to me. I am about to pull the trigger on a radiator, what did you guys go with? I had my eye on a Champion. I was going to go with Superior Radiator like WhyJ did but the guy still hasnt called me back.

August YJOTM

Unread 03-13-2013, 06:19 PM   #48
clintrivera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Look for item 130324585719 on eBay. That's the one I used. Good quality and had them add a trans cooler for cheap. Comes with the correct size outlets in the correct locations and a port for the steam pipe.
Unread 03-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #49
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Do you remember what brand it was? Quality is what scares me especially with trans coolers. I hate for it to leak into the coolant and burn something up. Yours has been holding up well? How many miles on your swap?

August YJOTM

Unread 03-13-2013, 07:35 PM   #50
clintrivera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

BTR Radiator. Made in the US. The trans cooler is internal, I also have an auxiliary B&M cooler.

Every OEM automatic setup I have ever seen has a trans cooler inside the radiator. Water to water cooling is much more efficient than air to water cooling. They are very reliable if it is built well.

My rig is holding up great - about 8k miles on the swap. I do have a leaky water pump put that has been the only issue.
Unread 03-13-2013, 09:24 PM   #51
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Ill check that one out. I agree, thats why I will make sure it is quality. I was also planning on running a B&M aux cooler.

My buddy tried talking me into setting it up for propane. Only $1400

August YJOTM

Unread 03-13-2013, 09:30 PM   #52
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Well I was at softball practice so I lost the bid on the camaro manifolds. Anybody have a source for them? Screw bidding on ebay

August YJOTM

Unread 03-13-2013, 10:18 PM   #53
clintrivera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Car-part.com

Why would you run it on propane? It already has an awesome fuel injection setup.
Unread 03-13-2013, 10:23 PM   #54
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I know, he works for a propane company and has an '86 chevy running on propane so he is all for it. Ill stick with my stock setup.

I googled 'maro manifolds and found someone in Colorado Springs on lt1swap.com that said he has about 50 sets. Im gonna call him tomorrow. If that doesn't work ill try car-part.com

August YJOTM

Unread 03-14-2013, 11:30 AM   #55
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintrivera View Post
Look for item 130324585719 on eBay. That's the one I used. Good quality and had them add a trans cooler for cheap. Comes with the correct size outlets in the correct locations and a port for the steam pipe.
I searched that part # on ebay.

"You are bidding on an "all Aluminum"This Is For the LS1 Engines only!!!!! This has a 1.25 top neck and 1.50 bottom neck"

I though I needed 1.5" top and 1.75" bottom? i measured the stock silverado radiator and they seemed to be in between. I'm sure different rad hoses would work too. This one is quite a bit more expensive even without a trans cooler. And $65 for shipping!

August YJOTM

Unread 03-14-2013, 11:56 AM   #56
clintrivera
1998 TJ Wrangler 

They can custom make anything you want. I believe the stock LM7 size is 1 5/16" inlet and 1 9/16 outlet. I called them and told them what I had and what I needed. For me the price was fair for a custom made aluminum built in USA radiator.

Give them a call. http://www.bricethomasradiator.com/
Unread 03-14-2013, 12:26 PM   #57
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

That's very true, you pay for quality. Just the hose fitting size makes me trust them over others. The other cheaper ones seemed to just put on 1.5 and 1.75 and call it universal for SBC swaps.

This warm weather is driving me nuts. I want to pull the top off and go for a drive

August YJOTM

Unread 03-14-2013, 11:12 PM   #58
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I made some progress tonight. My new trans mount came in so I was able to line everything up. The only questionable things are radiator and manifold but I think I left enough room. There is about 2" between the firewall and intake manifold but there is a little over 4" between the fan and radiator mounts.

forumrunner_20130314_220644.jpg

forumrunner_20130314_220718.jpg

forumrunner_20130314_220817.jpg

Im also selling 2 doors off the truck and my jeep trans tomorrow so I will order my radiator soon. Hopefully a Lokar trans shifter as well

August YJOTM

Unread 03-18-2013, 03:27 PM   #59
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I ordered a radiator through Superior Radiator. I think their price was more fair than BTR ($100 difference) and it is made in USA as well. A lot of incorrect info on BTRs site kind of turned me off to them. Not really a big deal but I'm wierd like that. I have a buddy coming over to burn in my mounts tomorrow. Does anyone have any input on my drivetrain positioning before they are welded? My intake seems like it is pretty far away from the firewall but I think I have ample room for my radiator and my trans mount sits right on the rib of the skid plate (see above pic)

August YJOTM

Unread 03-19-2013, 12:14 AM   #60
theGiantPanda
Swap This...

2006 LJ Wrangler 

watching your build.. did you get/make contact with the guy on the Camaro manifolds? I am interested in a set if you do and he comes through. also... who makes the trans mount you used? im sourcing parts for a 5.3 swap right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
Hospital? What, are you suffering from Overextended Jeepaphelia or something? :)
I've never been poor, only broke. Poor is a state of mind. Broke is a condition brought on by Jeep ownership and a heavy right foot.

2006 Unlimited Redicon Panda Edition
RRI Long Arm...14" Fox CO's Front and Rear...D60 KP Front and D60 FF Rear... 5.38s spooled...40" Maxxis Trepadors...
6.1 HEMI...Atlas 5.1

5.7 HEMI 400 hp TJ Build http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ye...17/?highlight=
6.1 HEMI Ultimate LJ Rubicon Build http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/6-...ayhem-1013800/
2.5 to 4.0L swap and build up http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/he.../#post14946167
4.0 to 2008 5.3L GM LS in the Taco'd TJ [frame off build].....http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/5-...28/?highlight=
My new DD Build, lift, 4.0 motor swap, done in 6 days?....http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/6.../#post15716292

the new shop... http://redrockwiring.com/ conversion, parts and wiring systems
shop email.... info@redrockindustries.net
LIKE US on facebook..... https://www.facebook.com/redrockindustriesinc adding more daily
redrockindustries.net
theGiantPanda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
5.3 vortec , engine swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.