A YJ 5.3 build without a clever name - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > A YJ 5.3 build without a clever name

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-31-2013, 12:45 AM   #211
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theGiantPanda View Post
just a little Cherokee flex.. we just got done fixing and setting up this one, belongs to my buddy.

found my new truck
I need to get my YJ to flex like that. Maybe coilovers for the next project. Thanks for getting that package out bro. Yiur oics make me jealous. I can wait to get this beast on the road topless

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 12:51 AM   #212
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

What cool little thing did you make? Better patent that *****!

August YJOTM

Unread 04-01-2013, 11:51 AM   #213
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I stopped by for a few minutes to hook up the radiator hoses. I just cut down the stock Chevy hoses and they fit like a glove. This is the hose for the steam port right?

forumrunner_20130401_115102.jpg

August YJOTM

Unread 04-01-2013, 12:48 PM   #214
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
I stopped by for a few minutes to hook up the radiator hoses. I just cut down the stock Chevy hoses and they fit like a glove. This is the hose for the steam port right?

Attachment 598422
I can't see clearly, but if it's the hose that goes to both heads - yes that's the steam port.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...ed-lj-1741722/
clintrivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #215
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

yes it is. From the radiator it goes right under the throttle body then down to hard tubing that splits to each head. I asked my GM guy and he told me not to worry about hooking it up? Maybe he was just in a bad mood... I just picked up some new heater hose so my cooling system is about wrapped up.

August YJOTM

Unread 04-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #216
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

No, you defiantly want to hook that up. Air can get trapped in the heads and overheat and warp them if you don't.

Unread 04-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #217
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Ill definitely hook it up. When I got my radiator I called Superior to check on fitting sizes and they did verify that is the fitting for the steam port.

August YJOTM

Unread 04-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #218
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Turns out my supply line is 5/16. Nobody in town carries hard fuel line so I got some coming. I dont care for the way my trans lines turned out. I reused the stock lines then ran rubber after that. The stock lines have too many strange bends in them for my taste. Any pics of how you guys ran them? How did you keep them up off the steering and down away from the pulleys and fan?

August YJOTM

Unread 04-02-2013, 12:19 AM   #219
theGiantPanda
Swap This...

2006 LJ Wrangler 

glad to see it moving along... closer everyday...

my conversion radiator had the trans cooler ports on the bottom. I ended up using race fittings on my stuff because that's what we have a bunch of laying around. with your radiator, I'd swap any straight barbed fittings you have installed for ones with 90* barbs so the lines would point over to the sides etc, simple and cheap change, big benefits.

yeah those stock lines are designed to hug the trans and block up to the front, then switch to rubber to allow for flex... if you don't run them along the motor, they are almost useless otherwise. i did the same thing on the patriot hemi. ran the stock trans hard lines along the motor then cut the rubber lines, mated them to race fittings and aeroquip line [had it on the shelf] and then connected to the radiator.

the other night I designed a complete fuel system and transmission line system. i plan on collecting all the parts and getting the systems fine tuned on the tailcrusher 5.3 project here in the next little while. i found a potential new shop, going to look at it on Wednesday. the agent sounded ready to deal on the phone. fingers crossed that this is the one for me so i can get to it!!!

check out this sexy little thing... got my gauges in today and the cluster set up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
Hospital? What, are you suffering from Overextended Jeepaphelia or something? :)
I've never been poor, only broke. Poor is a state of mind. Broke is a condition brought on by Jeep ownership and a heavy right foot.

2006 Unlimited Redicon Panda Edition
RRI Long Arm...14" Fox CO's Front and Rear...D60 KP Front and D60 FF Rear... 5.38s spooled...40" Maxxis Trepadors...
6.1 HEMI...Atlas 5.1

5.7 HEMI 400 hp TJ Build http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ye...17/?highlight=
6.1 HEMI Ultimate LJ Rubicon Build http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/6-...ayhem-1013800/
2.5 to 4.0L swap and build up http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/he.../#post14946167
4.0 to 2008 5.3L GM LS in the Taco'd TJ [frame off build].....http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/5-...28/?highlight=
My new DD Build, lift, 4.0 motor swap, done in 6 days?....http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/6.../#post15716292

the new shop... http://redrockwiring.com/ conversion, parts and wiring systems
shop email.... info@redrockindustries.net
LIKE US on facebook..... https://www.facebook.com/redrockindustriesinc adding more daily
redrockindustries.net
theGiantPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #220
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Turns out my supply line is 5/16. Nobody in town carries hard fuel line so I got some coming. I dont care for the way my trans lines turned out. I reused the stock lines then ran rubber after that. The stock lines have too many strange bends in them for my taste. Any pics of how you guys ran them? How did you keep them up off the steering and down away from the pulleys and fan?
I thought it was 5/16. I used my 5/16 line as a return line and ran -6 push-lok line with AN fittings for the feed. For my trans, I used NPT to AN adapters and ran -6 push-lok to and from the trans. They make -6 to whatever the 4L60E has.

Unread 04-02-2013, 08:51 AM   #221
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theGiantPanda View Post
glad to see it moving along... closer everyday...

my conversion radiator had the trans cooler ports on the bottom. I ended up using race fittings on my stuff because that's what we have a bunch of laying around. with your radiator, I'd swap any straight barbed fittings you have installed for ones with 90* barbs so the lines would point over to the sides etc, simple and cheap change, big benefits.

yeah those stock lines are designed to hug the trans and block up to the front, then switch to rubber to allow for flex... if you don't run them along the motor, they are almost useless otherwise. i did the same thing on the patriot hemi. ran the stock trans hard lines along the motor then cut the rubber lines, mated them to race fittings and aeroquip line [had it on the shelf] and then connected to the radiator.

the other night I designed a complete fuel system and transmission line system. i plan on collecting all the parts and getting the systems fine tuned on the tailcrusher 5.3 project here in the next little while. i found a potential new shop, going to look at it on Wednesday. the agent sounded ready to deal on the phone. fingers crossed that this is the one for me so i can get to it!!!

check out this sexy little thing... got my gauges in today and the cluster set up.
Gauges look good man! Maybe I should have planned on some new gauges so I don't have to look at my bouncy YJ ones anymore That's a good idea, I'm gonna go try to find some fittings with a 90 in them. Is it normal to have the fittings tighten up pretty quick? I got exactly what Superior told me to, 1/4 npt, and they would thread in a little by hand but tighten up pretty quick once I got my wrench on there. Could it be a brass on aluminum thing?

August YJOTM

Unread 04-02-2013, 09:18 AM   #222
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Gauges look good man! Maybe I should have planned on some new gauges so I don't have to look at my bouncy YJ ones anymore That's a good idea, I'm gonna go try to find some fittings with a 90 in them. Is it normal to have the fittings tighten up pretty quick? I got exactly what Superior told me to, 1/4 npt, and they would thread in a little by hand but tighten up pretty quick once I got my wrench on there. Could it be a brass on aluminum thing?
NTP is a tapered fitting, so yes it will tighten up pretty quick. You need thread sealant of some sort on those threads though.

Unread 04-02-2013, 09:49 AM   #223
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info Clint. Would some good ol Teflon tape do? My supply and return are 5/16 so i'm planning on leaving the return line as is and just flaring and using FI hose to connect it to the Chevy return line. Since I have the stock chevy lines to the transfer case I was just planning on running 3/8 up to that area.

Since I live in a rural area and I hate waiting on fittings etc to be shipped I would like to use as much of the stock stuff as possible. I'm thinking about cutting the stock trans lines back pretty close to the fittings and flaring them and using rubber hose all the way up to the radiator. How did you mount/route your hoses? zipties to the frame?

August YJOTM

Unread 04-02-2013, 12:53 PM   #224
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I couldn't find any fittings with a built in 90 like Panda suggested so I just grabbed some 90 adapter guys. It puts the hoses in a better position I think. I still need to trim and re-route them.
forumrunner_20130402_125059.jpg   forumrunner_20130402_125148.jpg  

August YJOTM

Unread 04-02-2013, 04:44 PM   #225
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Hey Clint, I know you said that you ran your trans hoses to the radiator first, but what fittings for the direction of flow? To me it makes sense to run the pressure line to the top fitting then let gravity do its thing. Also any reason you didn't run it to the B&M cooler first? I know that liquid cools better than air, but wouldnt it be better on those hot summer days to have the trans fluid a little cooler before it got to the radiator? maybe I'm just splitting hairs...

August YJOTM

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.