So yesterday I installed my new rear springs. After one short trip around the block one of the rears was already bent!!!! I thought that it might be my jeep, but I checked to see if anything was broken i.e. Spring perches, shackles, loose nuts and bolts, i wasn't driving like a mad man either so I cant blame the V8. On top of that one of the front springs is starting to take a dump!!!! SWEET!!!!!!!
Here's the work done on the girl jeep thus far. Welded and filled all the holes put in for old man accessories, pulled out all the dents and fixed the rear corner because the tire carrier got a little close.
It's really close... If I could only stay focused! That ain't happening anytime soon!!!!
I bought this TURD for $300 thinking I was going to steal the top&doors for the girl jeep, then sell the rest. Well turns out jeeps from Hawaii don't have good tops and doors, if fact jeeps from Hawaii don't really have anything good on them.
This has nothing to even do with jeeps in the slightest form but it's just as fun! It took awhile to find one that I could own in CA(vin stops for medium and heavy duty diesels in ca) this is going to be a VERY slow project for me... I can't even park her at home. But I got it looking O.K., And the AUX pump working.
I pulled apart my dash the other day to install a stainless one I got out of the burnt cj7. While I am doing all this I figured I would clean up the wiring and ordered all new knobs and heater pull cords. Having it all apart will make running new gauges a bit easier. 4wd ain't cheap that's for sure over $100 for some knobs and plastic.
Here you can see that on the Dana 20 the 4x4 linkage was running into the wide th350 so I shaped it out and this big cut was the result.
This is a close up of the spacer I had made. I just drilled and taped the tube that everthing bolts to. Works good.
I have been cleaning things up and putting lipstick on her! I have the dash put together and it looks nice, I also layed down bed liner and installed the tuffy box. It will need more body work on the rockers and fenders, but it's getting close to paint... Maaco here I come!!!! The to-do list.
•new headlight switch and new connectors.
•paint roll bar
•tranny dipstick is leaking again and also from the gear selector seal
•install sway bar out of burnt jeep
•leaking thermostat housing
•rear drive line noise
•finish wiring gauges
Here is a few pics showing my progress, I finished up the dash wiring except for installing the Tac... Which is on order. The body work is turning out nicely with only a little bit of work left on the driver fender and hood. I was able to find a guy on CL selling the stock stainless rocker trim, which is going to give her a retro look. Hoping to have the body just about ready for paint come next week.
Today I changed out the leaking thermostat housing gasket and replaced the thermostat then replaced the top radiator hose. My rear drive line noise was from a bad ujoint also the drive shaft spines where dry.
My list is getting smaller! Next is...
•new tail lights