Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Yet another $500 craigslist CJ buildup

15K views 74 replies 15 participants last post by  1971cj6man 
#1 ·
Ok here it goes.... I have WAY to many jeep parts laying around the house and instead of selling or junking them, I figured I would just keep my eyes open and find a cheap jeep I could throw my extra parts in.

Well it didn't take long to find the prefect one, I really like jeeps that a tweaker has owned because most of the time they just take **** apart for no flipping reason, and my little cj5 was a perfect example. Brand new tires and rims, new brakes and a bunch of other stuff, what made this thing a mess was dmv back reg.... no big deal! and no wiring of any sort!! Haha Looks like I got what I wanted. P.s. I am going to do this on the cheap...umm maybe

SO far
1972 cj5 inline 258, t18, dana 20 dana 30 front 44 rear $500

sold the 258 t18 combo $400

got a running 350/th350 from a friend who also gave me a warn 8274 winch $450

sold the winch $400 after I rebuilt it. Got a th350 to dana 20 adapter off of craigs $350

chevy tilt,alum conv rad, unused painless harness, s10 power steering box
1998 xj power brakes. aa motor mounts, late model cj swing pedals. Free ''side of the house"

See less See more
#30 ·
O.k... So I have been really busy! But hey, who isn't busy nowadays!!!!!
I haven't given up on the cj5, cj2a or the cj6. As of now Here's a update!
Cj2a- siting on the side of the house, doesn't really need too much more or less just time!
Cj5- got some stuff off eBay and craigslist i.e. Dash, dash pad, newer windshield frame and some other small stuff.
Cj6- umm well I have come to the conclusion that my 6 needs alot of work and I have way to much going on right now. I have done everything so far by myself. But to do it right I need to spend alot of time with it! We Arnt talking about your normal driveway buildup here! So I have decided to give up my orange cj7 to a friend with a shop, in return for making my cj6 run. I am over the whole 7 thing anyhow!, just isn't as fun as the others.... Besides To many people have 7's and wranglers as it is! Plus I STILL have another cherry 7 on the side yard... Yikes! HAHA
5 more weeks and I'll be back on track!!! With the 5

#31 ·
Well, I am still pretty busy! But that never stops me from bringing home trash!! I thought that this would be a fun thing to tow behind the cj5 during the summer. It was on CL for five days... I think the chicken coop off the back kind of drove people away! I told myself NO but after watching it just sit there I had to do some thing, so I made a call to the seller and offered a low ball offer of $180 that he took.... CR^P!
Specs: 1940's to 1960's SPEN trailer rated at 3/4 Ton, with heavy duty tailgate bolt pattern is 5 on 4.5 as they could be ordered with what ever you wanted. And the fenders are super weird, but stock

#32 ·
Last week of NO FUN till I can start back up again!!! Over the weekend I messed with the trailer... bondo, spring over and paint. Now that I can put 33" on the trailer, it makes me wonder how the cj5 would look with a small lift and tires. But more importantly how would it drive??!! V8+open c frame+lift+driving between bmw's & Prius's at commute time= DEAD YUPPIE!!!

I am almost foaming at the mouth waiting to finish the 5!!!!! But hey the trailer does look nice, even if it's towed behind a dumb Toyota!

#34 ·
All that work!!!!!!! for.... NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Haha atleast
most everyone I know thinks I am flipping nuts! But I saw this as my last chance To get out of the cj5 and step into something a little bigger, before I started to dump money on stuff like pipes and paint.

#37 ·

Got the 5.7 th350 Dana 20, out of the cj5 in the 7 looks good. Tossed the cheap headers in the dumpster for a set of corvette ram horn manifolds! I'll be fabricating the new cross member up then it's wiring. I am hoping to use the cj7 wiring harness and cut the chevy wiring in.

#39 ·
Update: the jeep runs great! Only thing now is lift kit, my springs & shocks are shot! Needs brakes. The front wheel bearings are done so the wheel wants rip off under heavy braking. I drove with the ebrake on so the rears are spaghetti!!! I started with body work so it's coming together rather SLOWWW but I'll get pics up soon!

#40 ·
That's awesome you have so many, almost like you're collecting them. I wouldn't have the cash or the time for more than two. Good luck!

Oh and I started a thread for my buddies $500 CJ-7 a while back. I throw pics on it every once in a while.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/500-cj-7-a-815590/

#41 ·
Ok, I have put a bunch of parts into the "girl jeep" in the last few weeks!
Here's what she has as of now, 4" rough country lift, lokar shifter, drop brake lines, yj power booster, new rear brakes, full exhaust w/flowmaster single chamber, new repo seat beats, front hoop for the roll bar. There is more sitting in boxes!!! She rides good on the road but I am starting to feel the rear driveline angle vibrations. So a CV is in my very near future! I never did roll the diff or install the drop down pucks that came with the kit. I think that even if I did both of those things I still wouldnt like it. I will post more RECENT pics soon.

My buddies brown cj7 with a spring over and 35" tires.

#47 ·
So yesterday I installed my new rear springs. After one short trip around the block one of the rears was already bent!!!! I thought that it might be my jeep, but I checked to see if anything was broken i.e. Spring perches, shackles, loose nuts and bolts, i wasn't driving like a mad man either so I cant blame the V8. On top of that one of the front springs is starting to take a dump!!!! SWEET!!!!!!!

#49 ·
Here's the work done on the girl jeep thus far. Welded and filled all the holes put in for old man accessories, pulled out all the dents and fixed the rear corner because the tire carrier got a little close.

It's really close... If I could only stay focused! That ain't happening anytime soon!!!!

#51 ·
This has nothing to even do with jeeps in the slightest form but it's just as fun! It took awhile to find one that I could own in CA(vin stops for medium and heavy duty diesels in ca) this is going to be a VERY slow project for me... I can't even park her at home. But I got it looking O.K., And the AUX pump working.

BEFORE

AFTER

#52 ·
I pulled apart my dash the other day to install a stainless one I got out of the burnt cj7. While I am doing all this I figured I would clean up the wiring and ordered all new knobs and heater pull cords. Having it all apart will make running new gauges a bit easier. 4wd ain't cheap that's for sure over $100 for some knobs and plastic.:rtft:

Here you can see that on the Dana 20 the 4x4 linkage was running into the wide th350 so I shaped it out and this big cut was the result.

This is a close up of the spacer I had made. I just drilled and taped the tube that everthing bolts to. Works good.

#54 ·
I have been cleaning things up and putting lipstick on her! I have the dash put together and it looks nice, I also layed down bed liner and installed the tuffy box. It will need more body work on the rockers and fenders, but it's getting close to paint... Maaco here I come!!!! The to-do list.

•new headlight switch and new connectors.
•paint roll bar
•tranny dipstick is leaking again and also from the gear selector seal
•install sway bar out of burnt jeep
•radio
•leaking thermostat housing
•rear drive line noise
•finish wiring gauges

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.